Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,127 members, 7,867,261 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 01:01 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (676) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4515102 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (673) (674) (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) ... (3698) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:01pm On Apr 29, 2017
FastShipping:
cc: Hajj
I am creating a thread here by middle of next week about one "Borehole Expert" who I paid to do my borehole and even gave him bonus after finishing the borehole but the borehole turned out to be nothing but nightmare.

I have been patient enough with him. The borehole only lasted a little over 4 hours since we started using it before it parked up. The said nairalander has been promising to fix the problem for almost a month now without fixing it. I have rebuffed all of his request to give him another money to go to my site to fix the mess.

If I paid someone 500,000 Naira for Borehole and gave him 30,000 Naira bonus after you claimed you finished the job and my borehole is the best in town and this said borehole only lasted over 4 hours in operation, then this person is nothing but an heartless human being. This same person told me if the said borehole should have a single problem within the first year, I should contact him immediately and he will be there immediately to fix it.

I should be creating a thread with details of evidence of promises that never happened.

I know the person reads this thread very well. Hence my post here.

I am not playing with him but he thinks this is a play.

Yes. I am aware of everything from day one...

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:05pm On Apr 29, 2017
Truthinlife:
Hello Hajj, Spyder and all good nairalanders,
We are now at the stage of installing stainless aluminum hand rails. We want to start from the patios (Seat outs). We have been presented with two types to choose from for the seat outs. (Attached are sample pictures of what I mean). Permission to use these photos please.
1. Stainless and glass
2. Only stainless.
I understand everyone's "taste" differs but I need constructive ideas/criticisms or reasons to choose any of the two.

The first option with glass looked very attractive. But I have always be scared of anything "glass".
I don't want anyone leaning on it or children playing there and it gives way...
I will rely more on the power of steel than that of glass. May be I am just a careful man.
Even being a kobo-kobo man, I have always went with wrought iron. This is just my little opinion.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 10:13pm On Apr 29, 2017
mufutau55:

The first option with glass looked very attractive. But I have always be scared of anything "glass".
I don't want anyone leaning on it or children playing there and it gives way...
I will rely more on the power of steel than that of glass. May be I am just a careful man.
Even being a kobo-kobo man, I have always went with wrought iron. This is just my little opinion.

Hajji M.
Thanks a lot Hajj,
Could you please describe more what you mean by "I have always.... with wrought iron"
Pls give me reasons Bc I am attaining same fear as you. The honest truth is, I so much love how attractive the glass type is; but fear of the risk as you pointed has been a huge concern hence I am seeking people's honest opinion. What is the difference with the stainless and wrought iron; will it have a "classy" look when installed, what about cost etc Pls talk to us.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:26pm On Apr 29, 2017
Truthinlife:

Thanks a lot Hajj,
Could you please describe more what you mean by "I have always.... with wrought iron"
Pls give me reasons Bc I am attaining same fear as you. The honest truth is, I so much love how attractive the glass type is; but fear of the risk as you pointed has been a huge concern hence I am seeking people's honest opinion. What is the difference with the stainless and wrought iron; will it have a "classy" look when installed, what about cost etc Pls talk to us.

"I have always.... with wrought iron" means in my other buildings, I have always use wrought iron (regular thick iron).

I love the Stainless rails because they are fancy... but I have seen some of the so-called stainless that rusts... you will hate it.
With our Naija market, how do you know you are getting the real 100% stainless steel?
The stainless products also get levels... using wrought iron, at least I can repaint it as often as I want.
May be I am not a classy man but I have always weigh security options in any products I use.
And wrought iron will always be cheaper in cost than the stainless steel.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 10:46pm On Apr 29, 2017
mufutau55:

"I have always.... with wrought iron" means in my other buildings, I have always use wrought iron (regular thick iron).

I love the Stainless rails because they are fancy... but I have seen some of the so-called stainless that rusts... you will hate it.
With our Naija market, how do you know you are getting the real 100% stainless steel?
The stainless products also get levels... using wrought iron, at least I can repaint it as often as I want.
May be I am not a classy man but I have always weigh security options in any products I use.
And wrought iron will always be cheaper in cost than the stainless steel.

Hajji M.
Wow, very very insightful.
Look at this sample a welder sent me.
What do you think.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:50pm On Apr 29, 2017
Truthinlife:

Wow, very very insightful.
Look at this sample a welder sent me.
What do you think.

That is very good design. Try getting those curved bars with the little white design in the middle, a little thicker.
The top and lower bars are good and thicker enough.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 10:57pm On Apr 29, 2017
mufutau55:

That is very good design. Try getting those curved bars with the little white design in the middle, a little thicker.
The top and lower bars are good and thicker enough.

Hajji M.
Thank you.
I really appreciate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:00pm On Apr 29, 2017
Truthinlife:

Thank you.
I really appreciate.

Yeah! Some of the welder will like to use 8mm or 10mm bars because it's easy to bend... but I prefer 12mm or even 16mm.
Keep us updated on the cost and size for others to learn from it. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 12:23am On Apr 30, 2017
FastShipping:
I am creating a thread here by middle of next week about one "Borehole Expert" who I paid to do my borehole and even gave him bonus after finishing the borehole but the borehole turned out to be nothing but nightmare.

I have been patient enough with him. The borehole only lasted a little over 4 hours since we started using it before it parked up. The said nairalander has been promising to fix the problem for almost a month now without fixing it. I have rebuffed all of his request to give him another money to go to my site to fix the mess.

If I paid someone 500,000 Naira for Borehole and gave him 30,000 Naira bonus after you claimed you finished the job and my borehole is the best in town and this said borehole only lasted over 4 hours in operation, then this person is nothing but an heartless human being. This same person told me if the said borehole should have a single problem within the first year, I should contact him immediately and he will be there immediately to fix it.

I should be creating a thread with details of evidence of promises that never happened.

My brother pls try to fine amicable solution to the problem. My story may be worst then your, at the end it's cost me over 1 million before I got the results I wanted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:41am On Apr 30, 2017
kopell:
My brother pls try to fine amicable solution to the problem. My story may be worst then your, at the end it's cost me over 1 million before I got the results I wanted.

Another palava too... two boreholes instead of one. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 10:52am On Apr 30, 2017
Great am folks in nairaland am on vacation and decided to do something for my fellow nairalanders no matter how small here is the deal.
Within the next one month i am offering free Architectural services for 2-clients. who are interest in developing bungalow family units and 2-interested in developing a multilevel family unit.(Duplex). the services are completely free and it covers the following

1 Brief taking and development
2 Preliminary designs,
3 finalised Architectural design
4 Construction Architectural working drawings.
5 Approval drawings.

Other requisite drawings are to be procured by the client, soft and hard copy also shall be made available for the client ( for approval purpose) for services and structural drawings.
Please note its aimed towards helping those who want to building a home for their families its does not cover those aiming at commercial developments.
If you are interested you can reach me on my email address akinolaolujide@gmail.com, or arkfrakons@gmail.com.
All the best my people.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 6:43pm On Apr 30, 2017
Just wondering if somebody happens to know the price of a bag of 4-inch nails in Lagos right now. Just a bit confused as the prices on https://www.set2build.com/market-prices show it as N6,500 in Lekki/Ajah, and someone just told me its N11,800 in Sango Ota!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 6:50pm On Apr 30, 2017
rabcnesbit:
Just wondering if somebody happens to know the price of a bag of 4-inch nails in Lagos right now. Just a bit confused as the prices on https://www.set2build.com/market-prices show it as N6,500 in Lekki/Ajah, and someone just told me its N11,800 in Sango Ota!

I bought N8,500 in AJah last week.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 9:31pm On Apr 30, 2017
skimanski:

I bought N8,500 in AJah last week.
Thank you. Got contact fo the shop?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DInkMan(m): 10:19pm On Apr 30, 2017
Hi learned colleagues,

on d brink of tilling my appartment. and being a patriot, lol, saw nicely made and not too pricey Nigerian product called PNT but i ve been discouraged they said it doesnt stand the test of time. that i should rather opt for Goodwill. how true is this assertion? thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:36pm On Apr 30, 2017
most PNT product are not so good compare to Goodwill or crown
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DInkMan(m): 11:02pm On Apr 30, 2017
rotecch77:

Uhm! if it is a general opinion that means it is a fact. people opine that it loses brilliance and color after a finite period.

thanks for your response, @Rotech.
any other views from end users.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:29pm On Apr 30, 2017
rotecch77:

Oga Rottech. Since you are in that business.
What other Made in Nigeria tiles do you think are good and compared to high grade China; apart from Goodwill.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge Sir.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:29am On May 01, 2017
kopell:

This is not something to sort out amicably. If you paid someone 25k for survey, 500k to drill borehole and 30k as bonus after claiming he gave me the best borehole in town and the borehole only lasted for less than 6 hours in operation, then that is a damn bad borehole. When this borehole was first drilled, I had my reservation because I heard water was only pumped out from it for about one hour before this guy came back to site 3-4 days later to insert pump. How can one pump water out from a borehole for just about one hour after drilling and claim the said borehole is the best in town? When he inserted the pump, I asked Hajj and Rotech about the pump and they both told me the pump was Chinese and not good. I confronted this guy that the pump was not fit for my borehole but he said the pump never failed him. This pump turned out to be bad as Rotech and Hajj predicted. The pump did not last 6 hours in service. The borehole lacks water and the pump got burnt. This guy sweet talked the borehole and I even gave him 30,000 Naira as bonus. He told me as long as we don't pump more than 2 hours every other days, the borehole will last for ages. He promised that if the borehole breaks down within the first year, I should call him and he is coming down to site to sort it out immediately. That statement from him gave me assurance. But he's now texting me every week promising to come next week, next week and next week. The text I got from him yesterday got me so angry. He told me he sent people to sort it out and they haven't been able to come there to sort it out. This is the third promise he made that went by without coming to sort it out.

This guy has never made a single promise to me and kept to his word. He has disappointed me and reneged on his promises to me 100% of the time. It's been almost four weeks since the borehole broke down and yet hasn't been able to come to site and stay there to fix this borehole. It is one excuse after another. He asked me to help him with funds but I told him how can I help you with funds when you have never for once kept your words or promises to me. I am not prepared to give him a penny upfront to fix it because this guy has no honesty in him. I hate when people make promises and don't act on them. This guy has never kept his word once right from the day he got paid to do survey till today. I am really angry with this guy because he thinks he is dealing with a fool.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 1:46am On May 01, 2017
rabcnesbit:
between 8k-9000

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DUNKA(m): 2:25am On May 01, 2017
FastShipping:

This is not something to sort out amicably. If you paid someone 25k for survey, 500k to drill borehole and 30k as bonus after claiming he gave me the best borehole in town and the borehole only lasted for less than 6 hours in operation, then that is a damn bad borehole. When this borehole was first drilled, I had my reservation because I heard water was only pumped out from it for about one hour before this guy came back to site 3-4 days later to insert pump. How can one pump water out from a borehole for just about one hour after drilling and claim the said borehole is the best in town? When he inserted the pump, I asked Hajj and Rotech about the pump and they both told me the pump was Chinese and not good. I confronted this guy that the pump was not fit for my borehole but he said the pump never failed him. This pump turned out to be bad as Rotech and Hajj predicted. The pump did not last 6 hours in service. The borehole lacks water and the pump got burnt. This guy sweet talked the borehole and I even gave him 30,000 Naira as bonus. He told me as long as we don't pump more than 2 hours every other days, the borehole will last for ages. He promised that if the borehole breaks down within the first year, I should call him and he is coming down to site to sort it out immediately. That statement from him gave me assurance. But he's now texting me every week promising to come next week, next week and next week. The text I got from him yesterday got me so angry. He told me he sent people to sort it out and they haven't been able to come there to sort it out. This is the third promise he made that went by without coming to sort it out.

This guy has never made a single promise to me and kept to his word. He has disappointed me and reneged on his promises to me 100% of the time. It's been almost four weeks since the borehole broke down and yet hasn't been able to come to site and stay there to fix this borehole. It is one excuse after another. He asked me to help him with funds but I told him how can I help you with funds when you have never for once kept your words or promises to me. I am not prepared to give him a penny upfront to fix it because this guy has no honesty in him. I hate when people make promises and don't act on them. This guy has never kept his word once right from the day he got paid to do survey till today. I am really angry with this guy because he thinks he is dealing with a fool.
Please and please name the person to avoid another person falling victim. Trying to cover is what has caused so much heartache for some people on this forum. Kindly name and shame him

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:39am On May 01, 2017
Kindly name the individual .you might not be the only one he is doing this to...Dont let others fall into this.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:52am On May 01, 2017
FastShipping:

Hmm, this sounds like my story. I let an eye witness write the predicaments of the whole story. In my case, I did two different test with conflicting results from two different vendors. I got the average of the two results and based my drilling depth on that average, about a meter away from one and other. After this, I brought every single material that was used still speed 900k for the drilling alone. Alhamduliahi the ends result is a success. Attached is the brand of pump I bought last year for 75k, I brought same one 6 years ago that still in service. This give me confidence to buy the same brand again.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:41am On May 01, 2017
kopell:
Hmm, this sounds like my story. I let an eye witness write the predicaments of the whole story. In my case, I did two different test with conflicting results from two different vendors. I got the average of the two results and based my drilling depth on that average, about a meter away from one and other. After this, I brought every single material that was used still speed 900k for the drilling alone. Alhamduliahi the ends result is a success. Attached is the brand of pump I bought last year for 75k, I brought same one 6 years ago that still in service. This give me confidence to buy the same brand again.

Looks like Spanish or Italian... which is it?

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:48am On May 01, 2017
DUNKA:
Please and please name the person to avoid another person falling victim. Trying to cover is what has caused so much heartache for some people on this forum. Kindly name and shame him

I already gave him till Wednesday to come back to his senses or else I will follow him anywhere he appears and make sure he does not make 1 naira on this forum again. I don't know why some of them behave this way. He did a borehole for me that only lasted under six hours in a span of three days before it parked up, the next thing he did was to ask me for a "favor" to give him money to fix the borehole.

If by Wednesday he doesn't do the right thing, I will go ahead and create a thread and name him for all to see and post it on his thread as well. The good thing is, I have most of our conversation and agreement on record for all to see his empty and unfulfilled promises from day one. Words and promises mean nothing to this guy.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:55am On May 01, 2017
kopell:

How deep is your borehole? Is it a low yield, medium or high yield? Mine was called medium yield but from all indication it is low yield at best.

My own borehole only lasted less than 6 hours before it packed up. The guy had the gut to ask me to provide money to buy him another machine for him to burn again. I already promised to get a new pumping machine but he must go find a machine to rent to fix the mess of a borehole he did before I bring new machine. I don't trust this guy a bit with the way he makes promises and never acted on them. This guy has never for once made a single promise to me that he fulfilled for once. Never! From day one, he has been a disappointment and I told him that. I regret ever giving this guy the borehole.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by WorldAmbassador: 4:17am On May 01, 2017
[quote author=FastShipping post=56048774]cc: Hajj

@FastShipping
I think all shady contractors who do substandard work should be called out to prevent someone else from falling victim. Sorry that it happened to you. I wish that every contractor would keep their word or back up their work with warranty.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:20am On May 01, 2017
What other Made in Nigeria tiles do you think are good and compared to high grade China; apart from Goodwill.
Hajji M.
(Quote ) (Report ) ( Like ) ( Share)

@babs hajji, here in Lagos Goodwill,crown, Royal,
then BA, all these are OK, the problem with PNT is it break easily,all there edges are not always equal at times 0.02mm-0.05mm longer than each other in the same carton,that is why some Tiler find it difficult to get perfect straight line while laying it, this do happen to most of there wall tiles and 40*40 vitrify floor tiles also when there wall tiles have contact with cement (which is compulsory in tiles laying)it will bend outward slightly but this is a bit difficult to know or see except you have eagle eyes, although they have some good 30 * 30;new design now
am not trying to spoil there product ooo, but we just want them to improve more on the product so that one day we can meet up Spanish or Italian stuff , who knows

here are some sample of goodwill, crown wall and floor tiles, I don't wanted to go against the law of the tread, no advert pls check my tread for more

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 6:57am On May 01, 2017
FastShipping:

Post a link to the new thread here when you create it. Mediocrity and incompetence must be wiped out of this country. I have told people several times that the incompetence and mediocrity at all levels of governance did not start when the person got to the position and that it has been in the person right from time.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 7:47am On May 01, 2017
DInkMan:
Hi learned colleagues,

on d brink of tilling my appartment. and being a patriot, lol, saw nicely made and not too pricey Nigerian product called PNT but i ve been discouraged they said it doesnt stand the test of time. that i should rather opt for Goodwill. how true is this assertion? thanks
If you are talking about PNT 300mm x 300mm tiles mostly used in bathrooms, then go for it.
But if it's 400mm x 400mm Ceramics, them Goodwill, Royal or Time Ceramics are better options.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 7:50am On May 01, 2017
mufutau55:

Hajji M.
CDK Ceramics
Royal Ceramics
Goodwill Ceramics
Time Ceramics
BA Ceramics

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DInkMan(m): 8:35am On May 01, 2017
write2obi:

If you are talking about PNT 300mm x 300mm tiles mostly used in bathrooms, then go for it.
But if it's 400mm x 400mm Ceramics, them Goodwill, Royal or Time Ceramics are better options.

Thanks @write2obi; it is actually 400*400mm. i ve benjohnsoned, lol.

(1) (2) (3) ... (673) (674) (675) (676) (677) (678) (679) ... (3698) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.