Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,762 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:41 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (767) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4388172 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (764) (765) (766) (767) (768) (769) (770) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:16pm On Sep 03, 2017
Flaghouse1:

What I actually meant is that by the time you start building "as is" on diagram you will discover some ideas are just good on papers ,but when it comes to doing it on the field experience and maturity counts, especially roof designs are prone to these kind of design flaws

There's always a catch phrase on every house plan based on that.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:17pm On Sep 03, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

just had to let MY OGA QS ON THIS
olumide4christ

i hope he will have better arguments than your braggadocio about "codedly" earning money or your self inflicted wounds
"artisans don't know what a QS is"

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 9:19pm On Sep 03, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Most of the designs by unseasoned architects (using the term loosely) are unbuildable with concrete.

Right, most designs are amenable to wood build,that's why when you see some foreign architectural designs when built you hardly find flaws ,looks almost exactly like like the architectural design "ab initio

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 9:24pm On Sep 03, 2017
Flaghouse1:

What I actually meant is that by the time you start building "as is" on diagram you will discover some ideas are just good on papers ,but when it comes to doing it on the field experience and maturity counts, especially roof designs are prone to these kind of design flaws

Yes o.Imagine they brought one mad roof design to our office lastweek. ROOF WEY BE SAY IF OYINBO see, Him GO SHOCK.We had to reject the design. Most architects would just put down their imagination on paper without thinking of onsite construction.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:26pm On Sep 03, 2017
snakebeat:

Height of whatever u are constructing
d bold informed my question, there is no such thing as only thing standard in construction!!!! Everything should be standard, even if all professionals don't practice it, d least we can do is to preach it.
I think you're getting it mixed up.
Standard-------- something above average, acceptable generally, of right quality,etc,etc.

A room is standard when it is 3.6X3.6m.
Anything short of that is not.

Hope you get my drift now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 9:26pm On Sep 03, 2017
oyb:

i hope he will have better arguments than your braggadocio about "codedly" earning money or your self inflicted wounds
Of cause na oga at the top b dat o

olumide4christ
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 9:28pm On Sep 03, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

Yes o.Imagine they brought one mad roof design to our office lastweek. ROOF WEY BE SAY IF OYINBO see, Him GO SHOCK.We had to reject the design. Most architects would just put down their imagination on paper without thinking of onsite construction.

Nice of you for rejecting the job,it's when construction time come now the BOQ for roof be N7million after analysis , the man go tell people say you and builder done plan to reap him off,

"Keeping it simple is beautiful "

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 9:33pm On Sep 03, 2017
Flaghouse1:

Nice of you for rejecting the job,it's when construction time come now the BOQ for roof be N7million after analysis , the man go tell people say you and builder done plan to reap him off,

"Keeping it simple is beautiful "

Na soooo.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 9:48pm On Sep 03, 2017
bixton:

I think you're getting it mixed up.
Standard-------- something above average, acceptable generally, of right quality,etc,etc.

A room is standard when it is 3.6X3.6m.
Anything short of that is not.

Hope you get my drift now.
I got your drift very well
It shouldn't be less than d benchmark, that is my point.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 03, 2017
snakebeat:

I got your drift very well
It shouldn't be less than d benchmark, that is my point.

You'll forgive me of course if I don't start demolishing my padlock garage because the rooms are fashionably unstandard 9'10" grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 9:59pm On Sep 03, 2017
oyb:

My brother i have been seeing your comments on this QS issue & i must say i m very surprised to say the least!!! You think some artisans know architect? They call everyone one on site an engineer. Every practicing architect needs a QS, even if they quote projects themselves, they all still need a QS to go through it. I am an architect, all the senior architects i have worked with all have QS rendering part time or full time services to vet their estimates. Once a building is above one floor, QS is important. I was surprised when u said there is no QS in your firm.

I will never estimate anything more than a bungalow for a firm, unless it is my personal contract. Because if anything go awry, as an architect i can't defend it. Just the same way i won't do structural drawing for a firm.

I must tell u d truth sir, QS are very important for major projects.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 10:04pm On Sep 03, 2017
EgunMogaji:

You'll forgive me of course if I don't start demolishing my padlock garage because the rooms are fashionably unstandard 9'10" grin
Of course we all compromise at some point sir.
Everyone is guilty sir, even our so called professors during school, when i see some of their designs, i truly know nobody is perfect.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:16pm On Sep 03, 2017
snakebeat:

I will never estimate anything more than a bungalow for a firm, unless it is my personal contract. Because if anything go awry, as an architect i can't defend it. Just the same way i won't do structural drawing for a firm.

I must tell u d truth sir, QS are very important for major projects.

already said

oyb:

for large projects core professionals are required. you can probably get away with an experienced and principled electrician/plumber/bricklayer on a domestic build; it becomes more risky on a commercial build. and on big projects, everyone wants to ensure the blame for any eff up is spread widely, so the more the merrier.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by luvablesam(m): 10:27pm On Sep 03, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

what are the details of the structure .square meter,if possible archi drawings and structural drawings if available.

The land is 60 by 120..thats like almost the only detail i basically know now...architectural plan isnt ready now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 10:29pm On Sep 03, 2017
luvablesam:

The land is 60 by 120..thats like almost the only detail i basically know now...architectural plan isnt ready now
send me a mail check my signature.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 10:32pm On Sep 03, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

Am a QS myself that's why I asked.
Whatsapp me on 08100452977 Pls I need experience, honesty,fear of God n transparency. Will b expecting u

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 10:34pm On Sep 03, 2017
Timtol:
Whatsapp me on 08100452977 Pls I need experience, honesty,fear of God n transparency. Will b expecting u
okay
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 10:45pm On Sep 03, 2017
Timtol:
just sent you a message my ba3 might die any minute from now sir.Until tomorrow morning.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abunafiu(m): 11:12pm On Sep 03, 2017
EgunMogaji:

This is what I aim to do when I start living in Nigeria on a full time basis.

Setup a homeowner security association. Encourage each home to be armed and have a network of resources with each other.

Suggest to your neighbor to have a loud siren installed.

Good idea. I was able to install this many months back. It's a 12v battery operated siren alarm. My whole community now depends on it each time we have an emergency.
Also recently added a boerboel dog to be on guard duty.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 11:16pm On Sep 03, 2017
raymondFirstborn:
just sent you a message my ba3 might die any minute from now sir.Until tomorrow morning.
Ok seen.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:25pm On Sep 03, 2017
abunafiu:

Good idea. I was able to install this many months back. It's a 12v battery operated siren alarm. My whole community now depends on it each time we have an emergency.
Also recently added a boerboel dog to be on guard duty.

I salute you, Sir.

Many will just sit and whinge online without taking active steps. Nigeria is a reactive society but one needs to become proactive for survival.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:22am On Sep 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Now one can argue that 1 coach shouldn't make a difference. But where do we stop encroaching?

Think about POP that has to be dropped o, or adding dropping chandeliers... too low ceiling, no good.
Unfortunately, I couldn't have anything low 'cos I am already almost 7ft tall.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:36am On Sep 04, 2017
mufutau55:

Think about POP that has to be dropped o, or adding dropping chandeliers... too low ceiling, no good.
Unfortunately, I couldn't have anything low 'cos I am already almost 7ft tall.

Hajji M.

I guess it depends on what one is building. I am building a modern house which has no interest for chandeliers. I used a standard USA height for my ceilings and taking low energy into account.

High ceiling does nothing but increased energy cost because you'll basically be heating/cooling dead space. I also do not subscribe to the elaborate POP designs.

To each his own though but this goes to show that there is no such thing as standard per see, especially in individual builds as long as the building codes are not violated.

I tell my builder and most artisans on my site that I am the General Contractor, they are simply onsite to help me get things done.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:52am On Sep 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I guess it depends on what one is building. I am building a modern house which has no interest for chandeliers. I used a standard USA height for my ceilings and taking low energy into account.

High ceiling does nothing but increased energy cost because you'll basically be heating/cooling dead space. I also do not subscribe to the elaborate POP designs.

To each his own though but this goes to show that there is no such thing as standard per see, especially in individual builds as long as the building codes are not violated.

I tell my builder and most artisans on my site that I am the General Contractor, they are simply onsite to help me get things done.

You are right, it depends on individuals. I have problem with low houses even in USA as I always thought I will hit my head on something.
But all of us are not the same... imagine those NBA guys who are even much taller than me. But Yes, you should have control on your build.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:07am On Sep 04, 2017
"Standard" is somewhat synonymous to "Normal" in the subject matter considering all manner of approved codes and regulations.
What exactly is the USA standard ceiling height from floor and also a modern house in a broad perspective?

Building in Nigeria
A low ceiling to floor height will definitely make your room to be stuffy if the right number of window openings is not put on that particular section going with the aesthetic sense of using 1000mm as window width in recent builds.

Except one wants to go cheap why will he be bothered about heat/cooling on wasted/dead spaces? I guess those spaces are good for cobwebs. grin

Lighting in a house; Till the invention of energy saving bulbs,LED,etc,etc lighting has always been illumination. It has nothing to do with heat and very insignificant because if it is, we all would be putting on our bulbs at night while sleeping. Don't get me wrong here.
There are numerous ways to generate heat in a build to ease cold but I do not entirely think it's required in Nigeria because even when the weather is cold we'll still put on our air condition units. But one can opt for it in his home if he decides.

Aesthetic
Recent designs are making the use of ceiling fans and even wall lights old fashioned. The use of POP as ceiling, LED lights within them have given most builds a renewed sense of taste.

With less force one should not be able to touch the ceiling of his house with hands stretched up and if you do then your ceiling is definitely low.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 8:08am On Sep 04, 2017
snakebeat:

@ First bold What is the height from your oversite concrete to window sill u were taught in 100 & 200 level? Use metric, seems this coach thing is confusing.
@Second bold After all the anthropometrics, all the jury u pass through & that pass through u, from Bsc to Msc, u bold make such statement! Haba bros.
Are u saying u will consent to a door height of less than 2.1m, for a residential building because that is what the client want for himself? There wouldn't have been need for anthropometrics, structures & foundation types in architecture going by d second bold.

Bros forget that one. You know say I no go do height of less than 2.1. Why didnt you ask me if I will agree to a height on 3meter. Make you see the big yes. as far as the door can be fabricated to hold. There is nothing like Standard window height. There is only a reasonable notion that you can want the height of the window to follow the height of door. Even for door height, you dont use the word standard. You use the word "commonly used Height"

Picture one was built by the second largest Building construction co in Nigeria. See the door? standard was thrown out the window, I can imagine what the height of the internal doors would be. Maybe their Architects no pass Bsc.

Bros lets be realistic. As far as you can calculate the structural viability of the Architecture and the livability, then you are good. Thats what make you an Architect. to Design you way through anything (Working out a design solution to a Problem).

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 8:10am On Sep 04, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I salute you, Sir.

Many will just sit and whinge online without taking active steps. Nigeria is a reactive society but one needs to become proactive for survival.

Sir thanks for this Picture. Abeg help me tell them ooooooo.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 8:26am On Sep 04, 2017
Timtol:

This is my humble view concerning this sir.
It's already done but for future's sake, it's better to use 9'' blck for external walls y all the internal walls will be 6".
I hope it's helpful.
We use the method in some cases for some certain clients.

May I humbly ask why?
This is science and possibly less of art, so it may be nice to know the reason.
Thank you sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:32am On Sep 04, 2017
skimanski:

Sir thanks for this Picture. Abeg help me tell them ooooooo.

Your reputation precedes you Sir, and frankly thanks for bringing up a discussion. I know that you're not looking for answers from here.

I have 8 feet ceilings here in the US and "I" don't need more than that in Nigeria even though I will end up with about 9 or 10 feet tray ceilings. This in tandem with my 500 square foot central courtyard should aid greatly in air exchange.

You lead Sir and I follow. I have spent uncountable hours perusing through your build threads.

Some people cannot be helped and it's just a comical relief to read their postings grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:46am On Sep 04, 2017
skimanski:

Bros forget that one. You know say I no go do height of less than 2.1. Why didnt you ask me if I will agree to a height on 3meter. Make you see the big yes. as far as the door can be fabricated to hold. There is nothing like Standard window height. There is only a reasonable notion that you can want the height of the window to follow the height of door. Even for door height, you dont use the word standard. You use the word "commonly used Height"

Picture one was built by the second largest Building construction co in Nigeria. See the door? standard was thrown out the window, I can imagine what the height of the internal doors would be. Maybe their Architects no pass Bsc.

Bros lets be realistic. As far as you can calculate the structural viability of the Architecture and the livability, then you are good. Thats what make you an Architect. to Design you way through anything (Working out a design solution to a Problem).

Please what purpose or function does that building serves?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:49am On Sep 04, 2017
Indeed a great comical relief.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:55am On Sep 04, 2017
I'm getting serious about doing my kitchen and I need intelligent guidance on how to price the work.

Is it priced per square feet or it's a free for all price scheme whereby an artisan can demand anything they feel like?

Thanks in advance.

(1) (2) (3) ... (764) (765) (766) (767) (768) (769) (770) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.