Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,798 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (770) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4443482 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) (772) (773) ... (3678) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jessam: 5:55pm On Sep 07, 2017
Members of the public let me bring to your attention of a scammer who operates in Lagos, in particular the Lekki/Ajah area and mainland. He claims he does kitchens, that is true to a point, only that he will collect most of your money and won't complete the job. His work is very showdy too. Don't be deceived he will take you to building sites where he will show you other peoples work and claim its his. This man has such audacity to try and con people. His name is Bamidele o ogunkayode. He will soon find out scamming does not pay.

Avoid Bamidele o ogunkayode - HE IS A THIEF, WON'T DO YOUR JOB, CLAIM THAT TRANSPORT COSTS HAVE GONE UP 10 FOLD OVER NIGHT, AFRAID TO PICK UP HIS TELEPHONE.

Beware Bami -Theif -Dele

This s the thread of the project he was working on, I will update more on this project in the near future

https://www.nairaland.com/2753189/wing-duplex-flat-ajah-moore/6#60204787

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 8:30pm On Sep 07, 2017
Jessam:
Members of the public let me bring to your attention of a scammer who operates in Lagos, in particular the Lekki/Ajah area and mainland. He claims he does kitchens, that is true to a point, only that he will collect most of your money and won't complete the job. His work is very showdy too. Don't be deceived he will take you to building sites where he will show you other peoples work and claim its his. This man has such audacity to try and con people. His name is Bamidele o ogunkayode. He will soon find out scamming does not pay.

Avoid Bamidele o ogunkayode - HE IS A THIEF, WON'T DO YOUR JOB, CLAIM THAT TRANSPORT COSTS HAVE GONE UP 10 FOLD OVER NIGHT, AFRAID TO PICK UP HIS TELEPHONE.

Beware Bami -Theif -Dele

This s the thread of the project he was working on, I will update more on this project in the near future

Hmmmm, Na wao sadangry

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:34pm On Sep 07, 2017
true2home:
You are absolutely right Sir. By the way, you have been doing a fantastic job thus far. I like to see younger guys doing big things.

While your statement is true that the partition wall in the middle of the house carries load but it always depends on the SHAPE of the hip roof.

Tributary loads are majorly from your top ridge to your first joist /strut. So if the spacing of the tributary area is reduced, it in-turn reduces the force / load on your middle internal wall.

Its just to buttress your point and to add that your can reduce the load acting on your middle internal wall by design.

One thing i always do if client and budget permits is to put a beam / head course on my internal dividing wall so far as it doesn't impede ceiling design.

Thanks Oga mi

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:49pm On Sep 07, 2017
I guess over time you've made it a habit to run down people and their opinion(s) sticking to yours and those whom you've considered your best.
It is one thing to read a book and explain it in simpler terms especially to a novice client.

Too many responses tend to be purely academic and not necessarily field knowledge.

Well I hope others who read previous posts had something to hold onto because it's quite painful to read one's post regarding a subject and not get the needed understanding.

For what is worth as a general principle or should I say rule of thumb " walls running perpendicular to joists should be considered load bearing and non load bearing walls runs parallel to the joists too".

For those who care to read kindly follow the various links;

https://www.nachi.org/roof-framing-part1-2.htm

http://www.ehow.com/info_12173005_roof-structure-types-loadbearing-walls.html

http://www.homeadditionplus.com/dev/framing/load-bearing-walls/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-01-26/business/0101260141_1_walls-bearing-joists

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=RTC8yFaw7ioC&pg=PA205&lpg=PA205&dq=gable+roof+and+load+bearing+wall&source=bl&ots=xr5G-Koqea&sig=4SM7oQazE2g4SJrTi8p1au1DagU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjesdeZ05PWAhVNaVAKHQoYBo84FBDoAQgUMAM#v=onepage&q=gable%20roof%20and%20load%20bearing%20wall&f=false

There are so many perspectives to building a house but it's always important to do one that'll bring comfort, economically cost effective and safe for the owner as rightly said by someone on the platform.

Good Luck.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 07, 2017
Jessam:

Beware Bami -Theif -Dele

Having read the linked thread, it is obvious to me that this is not a kobo kobo project.

So I ask all the asshat blowhards that like to blame the clients and saying that they hire quacks?

OP, is he a Nairalander? If so what is his userid?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 9:09pm On Sep 07, 2017
Back to the issue of Security and use of alternative means:

I saw this story online and decided we could take a bite at it!

http://punchng.com/owner-dogs-killed-five-year-old-relocates/

The landlord, whose dogs killed a five-year-old girl, Aliyah Masaku, in the Ikorodu area of Lagos State, has relocated them to the Sagamu area of Ogun State.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the landlord, Alhaji Akeem Sulaimon, sent someone to remove the 15 dogs late Wednesday, before officials of the state government could get any chance of seizing them.

Our correspondent had reported that the victim was in the house on Monday when an Alsatian dog, identified as Rover, dragged her from the room to the backyard, where two other dogs joined in attacking her.

She was later rushed to the Ikorodu General Hospital from where she was transferred to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, where she died on Wednesday.

READ ALSO: Three dogs attack five-year-old girl, damage eye, tooth

The Director of the Lagos State Office of the Public Defender, Olubukola Salami, while saying the victim died due to negligence and greed, noted that the government would remove the dogs from the house.

But by Thursday when officials from the state Ministry of Agriculture, Department of Veterinary Services, visited the house, the kennels were empty.

An official said the house gate was open, but the premises empty.

He said, “He sent some people to remove the dogs from the kennels late in the night yesterday (Wednesday). When he was called on the phone, he said since there was nobody to take care of the dogs again, he decided to move them somewhere else. He said the dogs were taken to Sagamu and didn’t give details.”

When our correspondent called Sulaimon, who is based in London, United Kingdom, on the telephone, he did not pick his calls.

The father of the victim, Wasiu, said Aliyah would be buried on Friday.

“The doctors at LASUTH called me to come for the corpse today (Thursday), but I told them I was trying to raise fund for the burial ground. We will bury her on Friday,” he said.

The Office of Public Defender (OPD) Director, Salami, said the owners of the dogs might be prosecuted, adding that Interpol would be involved.

She said, “The father of the child has already paid a big price for his negligence, but the owner of the dogs cannot be allowed to escape the law. He may face manslaughter charges since he owned the dogs. We may have to involve Interpol to ensure his arrest.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Dolapo Badmos, urged the family of the victim to report to the police.

I brought this story because we were discussing how some owner leaves their Dogs to prowl at night, without a leash.

- If you are the Parent of this little girl that was mauled to death by "Security Dogs" of your neighbour, what would you do; To the Dogs and its owner?

- If you are the owner of the Dogs that mauled this little girl to death, what would you do to your Dogs and the Parents of the child it killed?

- Do we still consider it prudent, to leave such dangerous Dogs to prowl without a leash?

- Do we consider our liabilities, when what belongs to us is considered 'dangerous' and kills another?

- Finally, is it worth it, for this U.K based Dog owner?

Something to discuss/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 07, 2017
Daboomb:
Back to the issue of Security and use of alternative means:

I saw this story online and decided we could take a bite at it!

http://punchng.com/owner-dogs-killed-five-year-old-relocates/

I brought this story because we were discussing how some owner leaves their Dogs to prowl at night, without a leash.

a - If you are the Parent of this little girl that was mauled to death by "Security Dogs" of your neighbour, what would you do; To the Dogs and its owner?

b - If you are the owner of the Dogs that mauled this little girl to death, what would you do to your Dogs and the Parents of the child it killed?

c - Do we still consider it prudent, to leave such dangerous Dogs to prowl without a leash?

d - Do we consider our liabilities, when what belongs to us is considered 'dangerous' and kills another?

e - Finally, is it worth it, for this U.K based Dog owner?

Something to discuss/

Let me answer your question before I give my personal opinion.

a) The Dogs will be dead, immediately. I will also sue the owner both in Nigeria and UK.

b) I would put the offending Dog(s) down, immediately and offer to compensate the parents.

c) I never consider it prudent to leave anything other than a handbag Dog to prowl "the street".

d) Any reasonable adult should be doing that. This is why I combined two plots, bought out in the boonies (though it seems that I did not go far out enough now). This is what homeowner insurance is for.

e) He is the only one to answer that.

Now onto my opinion.

First, my fence is to keep me and my stuff in. It's not to keep intruders out. Intruders will get in if they want or just simply wait till I am outside my gate. This is crucial because certain elements on here doesn't seem to understand why I would fence myself in. I intend to have at least 4 trained Dobermans prowling my premises.

Second, just having a Dog is not the answer. A Dog to me is a security element not a family pet. Dogs need training, they need to know who is the leader of the pack, they need obedient training and also training that will allow them to give up their live to protect me and my family.

You just don't go out and buy Dogs without training them. You just don't lock Dogs up in a kennel or chain them down. They need to be trained and treated as they serious security element that they are.

Alsatians dogs by nature are not aggressive in this manner. I would think that the behavior displayed here is because either the Dog has mental issue (Dogs have the same diseases that humans have) or wasn't trained enough.

If I were to guess, I would say that this Dog was bought as a puppy and allowed to grow wildly in the compound without limitation.

My Dogs will not be chained down, they will prowl my property, they will not eat except from their bowl, they will not exit the gate even if it was wide open and a Cat or another DOg was sitting just outside and winking at them. That is training.

My MaiGuard wanted a "security Dog" but all he got was a local Dog. I didn't get him the Pitbull that he wanted for two reasons. 1) Pitbulls are killers, period. and 2) I will not be there constantly to train the Dog.

So I ask other homeowners to be cognizant o the inherent risks with Dogs.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 9:36pm On Sep 07, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Let me answer your question before I give my personal opinion.

a) The Dogs will be dead, immediately. I will also sue the owner both in Nigeria and UK.

b) I would put the offending Dog(s) down, immediately and offer to compensate the parents.

c) I never consider it prudent to leave anything other than a handbag Dog to prowl "the street".

d) Any reasonable adult should be doing that. This is why I combined two plots, bought out in the boonies (though it seems that I did not go far out enough now). This is what homeowner insurance is for.

e) He is the only one to answer that.

Now onto my opinion.

First, my fence is to keep me and my stuff out. It's not to keep intruders in. Intruders will get in if they want or just simply wait till I am outside my gate. This is crucial because certain elements on here doesn't seem to understand why I would fence myself in. I intend to have at least 4 trained Dobermans prowling my premises.

Second, just having a Dog is not the answer. A Dog to me is a security element not a family pet. Dogs need training, they need to know who is the leader of the pack, they need obedient training and also training that will allow them to give up their live to protect me and my family.

You just don't go out and buy Dogs without training them. You just don't lock Dogs up in a kennel or chain them down. They need to be trained and treated as they serious security element that they are.

Alsatians dogs by nature are not aggressive in this manner. I would think that the behavior displayed here is because either the Dog has mental issue (Dogs have the same diseases that humans have) or wasn't trained enough.

If I were to guess, I would say that this Dog was bought as a puppy and allowed to grow wildly in the compound without limitation.

My Dogs will not be chained down, they will prowl my property, they will not eat except from their bowl, they will not exit the gate even if it was wide open and a Cat or another DOg was sitting just outside and winking at them. That is training.

My MaiGuard wanted a "security Dog" but all he got was a local Dog. I didn't get him the Pitbull that he wanted for two reasons. 1) Pitbulls are killers, period. and 2) I will not be there constantly to train the Dog.

So I ask other homeowners to be cognizant o the inherent risks with Dogs.

Am thinking of what else to add.... shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 1:17pm On Sep 08, 2017
Oga mi.......wetin dey happen? Your people never dey react to your questions oooo. I guess consultations are still on going and all is well.
Happy weekend. grin wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:03pm On Sep 08, 2017
bixton:
Oga mi.......wetin dey happen? Your people never dey react to your questions oooo. I guess consultations are still on going and all is well.
Happy weekend. grin wink

Which question?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 2:03pm On Sep 08, 2017
bixton:
Happy weekend. grin wink

Which question?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 10:45pm On Sep 08, 2017
bixton:
I guess over time you've made it a habit to run down people and their opinion(s) sticking to yours and those whom you've considered your best.
It is one thing to read a book and explain it in simpler terms especially to a novice client.

Too many responses tend to be purely academic and not necessarily field knowledge.

Well I hope others who read previous posts had something to hold onto because it's quite painful to read one's post regarding a subject and not get the needed understanding.

For what is worth as a general principle or should I say rule of thumb " walls running perpendicular to joists should be considered load bearing and non load bearing walls runs parallel to the joists too".

For those who care to read kindly follow the various links;

https://www.nachi.org/roof-framing-part1-2.htm

http://www.ehow.com/info_12173005_roof-structure-types-loadbearing-walls.html

http://www.homeadditionplus.com/dev/framing/load-bearing-walls/

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-01-26/business/0101260141_1_walls-bearing-joists

https://books.google.com.ng/books?id=RTC8yFaw7ioC&pg=PA205&lpg=PA205&dq=gable+roof+and+load+bearing+wall&source=bl&ots=xr5G-Koqea&sig=4SM7oQazE2g4SJrTi8p1au1DagU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjesdeZ05PWAhVNaVAKHQoYBo84FBDoAQgUMAM#v=onepage&q=gable%20roof%20and%20load%20bearing%20wall&f=false

There are so many perspectives to building a house but it's always important to do one that'll bring comfort, economically cost effective and safe for the owner as rightly said by someone on the platform.

Good Luck.

Knowledge they say is power,

Seeing these links speaks volumes, I will read up and add more knowledge ,you sabi do research ooo,

However, special thanks to Alahji mufu for creating this thread which to me can be referred to MASTERS CLASS - SCHOOL OF BUILDING TECHNOLOGY

KUDOS Sir !!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:17am On Sep 09, 2017
Flaghouse1:

Knowledge they say is power,

Seeing these links speaks volumes, I will read up and add more knowledge ,you sabi do research ooo,

However, special thanks to Alahji mufu for creating this thread which to me can be referred to MASTERS CLASS - SCHOOL OF BUILDING TECHNOLOGY

KUDOS Sir !!!

KUDOS TO ALL.
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2017
Greetings house
Just discovered my tiler did a very rough job in my new build
Haven't been around
The tiles look so rough with cement & sand stains. I have scrubbed the floor, but the stains are still very visible. I want to enquire if there is a chemical or special detergent i can use to remove the stains. I will really appreciate your input.

Cc write2boi, rotech77 & the house
Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 11, 2017
Barryton:
Greetings house
Haven't been around
The tiles look so rough with cement & sand stains. I have scrubbed the floor, but the stains are still very visible. I want to enquire if there is a chemical or special detergent i can use to remove the stains. I will really appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Sorry to read this.

It's such a shame that certain artisans can't practice good service delivery unless they're monitored.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 12:50pm On Sep 11, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Sorry to read this.

It's such a shame that certain artisans can't practice good service delivery unless they're monitored.
Honestly sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Treash(m): 1:12pm On Sep 11, 2017
Kindly contact us @ Adeolu Aderinto Solicitor for questioning and assistance on search, preparation and perfection of land transactions before you fall victims please.
08068088866; 09090803205.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TBrownAuto(m): 9:33pm On Sep 11, 2017
Truthinlife:
Hello Hajj and everyone,
We just bought the PVC for ceiling but the carpenter is giving a price I believe is out of reach for 4 bedroom ensuite and little walk way. Is 150,000 not too much to install the PVC?. What should be a reasonable amount to pay.

this pvc is it the nigeria pvc and please the one you bought what is the price

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 11:04pm On Sep 11, 2017
Barryton:
Greetings house
Haven't been around

Thanks.

Somebody should please come to this man's aid!
I have heard said that they use "chemical" to clean Tiles (even cement stains from Wondows) but l have never really inquired about the kind of chemical being refered to.... but l am certain there is one or more in existence.

Sometimes, our Artisans really fall hand.

Even the so-called Togo Tilers, l had one who was a real nightmare, sometimes back.
He is so arrogant, wont listen to suggestions (even if it will improve his job deliver as he thinks he knows it all), very rough job delivery, very wasteful (he butchers Tiles like it is dashed out for free in the market; any little size he requires, he cuts a new whole, never using off-cuts!)

But the breaking point came when he stole my Carton Tiles and l caught him.
That landed him in a week detention with small-small morning and evening 'exercises' while l got another person to tidy-up his shoddy job.

I think people like Spyder, Skimanski, Aventures and other notable builders in the house may have used or caused to be used, such chemical in their 'clean-up finishings', before handover to Client.

Please, make una help pur brother.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 1:16am On Sep 12, 2017
Daboomb:

I have heard said that they use "chemical" to clean Tiles (even cement stains from Wondows) but l have never really inquired about the kind of chemical being refered to.... but l am certain there is one or more in existence.

Even the so-called Togo Tilers, l had one who was a real nightmare, sometimes back.
He is so arrogant, wont listen to suggestions (even if it will improve his job deliver as he thinks he knows it all), very rough job delivery, very wasteful (he butchers Tiles like it is dashed out for free in the market; any little size he requires, he cuts a new whole, never using off-cuts!)

That landed him in a week detention with small-small morning and evening 'exercises' while l got another person to tidy-up his shoddy job.

I think people like Spyder, Skimanski, Aventures and other notable builders in the house may have used or caused to be used, such chemical in their 'clean-up finishings', before handover to Client.

There is a Chemical for cleaning tiles. Once you get to any shop where building tools are sold like shovel, head pans, nails, hammers e.t.c , tell them to give you acid. Yes! thesame acid you here about, that's the chemical. So to be kept totally out of the reach of Children and to be used by people who know how to use it. First thing you do when you get it is to test how strong it is. This can be done by droping a little on the floor and you will notice a Yellowish boiling subtance. If it doesn't boil then its fake.

On getting to site, note you have to pour some quantity on a bucket of water with soap inside the water and use mop or brush to apply on the surface you wish to clean. You should leave the surface soaked with the acid diluted water for like 5mins to 10mins to allow it soak up the surface before you apply your strength in brushing the soaked surface. Note! you are dealing with acid, hence the reason why you are diluting with water. But regardless, you must were any form of protective outfit to avoid direct contact with your skin as this may cause inching and damaged skin.

on a very Important Note: Never Ever allow the acid touch any silver surface when cleaning. Be it stainless of alluminum. E.G door handles, Shower mixers/Faucets, Metal Trims e.t.c. If it does, it burns that surface immediately.

Now from a more professional point of view. Your tilers must always hold foam and cloth when laying tiles for you. The moment they lay one face of the wall before going to the other face of the wall, they must use foam with water to clean the tiled surface and then use the cloth in wiping the water off it. if they don't, no money. It must be agreed on from the beginning. This will save you a lot of cleaning headach at the end. Cleaning is a very important process in construction. We have passed through a lot of challenges regarding cleaning in the past. Infact every department must clean up their mess before they collect their cash. POP finish the must clear out they rubbles and soaked POP floors. Masons install they windows they must use foam to clean it up before they close and collect money. wood guys work, they must clear up they saw dust when they close before they collect cash. Its easy that moment, but difficult when left to accumulate.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 3strikes: 1:21am On Sep 12, 2017
So someone just reported another fraudster abi?....
But some people want to talk about dogs... grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:32am On Sep 12, 2017
3strikes:
So someone just reported another fraudster abi?....
But some people want to talk about dogs... grin grin

Hey, I did my part by quoting and prodding the OP grin

But you know how these things go, it's probably settled behind the scenes.

Until 5 years from now when the shyte really hits the fan.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jessam: 2:23am On Sep 12, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Having read the linked thread, it is obvious to me that this is not a kobo kobo project.

So I ask all the asshat blowhards that like to blame the clients and saying that they hire quacks?

OP, is he a Nairalander? If so what is his userid?

Sorry for the late response, the fraudster is not a nairalander but claimed he had worked on another nairalanders project, The thief did not come back and stopped answering my calls awhile before I posted his mugshot. I have since got someone else to do my kitchens. No behind the scenes negotiations have occurred or settlement has been reached. This guy is a hardcore artist and never ever came with any intentions to do the job
Please people start naming and shaming the crooks on here that spoil it for for good craftsmen and builders on here

Beware Bami -Theif -Dele

This is the thread of the project he was working on, I will update more on this project in the near future

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:35am On Sep 12, 2017
Jessam:

Sorry for the late response, the fraudster is not a nairalander but claimed he had worked on another nairalanders project, The thief did not come back and stopped answering my calls awhile before I posted his mugshot. I have since got someone else to do my kitchens. No behind the scenes negotiations have occurred or settlement has been reached. This guy is a hardcore artist and never ever came with any intentions to do the job
Please people start naming and shaming the crooks on here that spoil it for for good craftsmen and builders on here

Beware Bami -Theif -Dele

This is the thread of the project he was working on, I will update more on this project in the near future

No worries Sir.

I understand that people are busy and have other things to do and I thank you for your response.

Glad to hear that you managed to complete your kitchen.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:56am On Sep 12, 2017
Barryton:
Greetings house
Haven't been around

Thanks.

Acid should do the magic

Call someone who know how to do it through

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 6:38am On Sep 12, 2017
Daboomb:

Thanks alot

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 6:39am On Sep 12, 2017
skimanski:

There is a Chemical for cleaning tiles. Once you get to any shop where building tools are sold like shovel, head pans, nails, hammers e.t.c , tell them to give you acid. Yes! thesame acid you here about, that's the chemical. So to be kept totally out of the reach of Children and to be used by people who know how to use it. First thing you do when you get it is to test how strong it is. This can be done by droping a little on the floor and you will notice a Yellowish boiling subtance. If it doesn't boil then its fake.

On getting to site, note you have to pour some quantity on a bucket of water with soap inside the water and use mop or brush to apply on the surface you wish to clean. You should leave the surface soaked with the acid diluted water for like 5mins to 10mins to allow it soak up the surface before you apply your strength in brushing the soaked surface. Note! you are dealing with acid, hence the reason why you are diluting with water. But regardless, you must were any form of protective outfit to avoid direct contact with your skin as this may cause inching and damaged skin.

on a very Important Note: Never Ever allow the acid touch any silver surface when cleaning. Be it stainless of alluminum. E.G door handles, Shower mixers/Faucets, Metal Trims e.t.c. If it does, it burns that surface immediately.

Now from a more professional point of view. Your tilers must always hold foam and cloth when laying tiles for you. The moment they lay one face of the wall before going to the other face of the wall, they must use foam with water to clean the tiled surface and then use the cloth in wiping the water off it. if they don't, no money. It must be agreed on from the beginning. This will save you a lot of cleaning headach at the end. Cleaning is a very important process in construction. We have passed through a lot of challenges regarding cleaning in the past. Infact every department must clean up their mess before they collect their cash. POP finish the must clear out they rubbles and soaked POP floors. Masons install they windows they must use foam to clean it up before they close and collect money. wood guys work, they must clear up they saw dust when they close before they collect cash. Its easy that moment, but difficult when left to accumulate.
Thank u very much
This is very detailed

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 6:39am On Sep 12, 2017
twinskenny:

Acid should do the magic

Call someone who know how to do it through
Thanks
Will find someone to do it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 10:15am On Sep 12, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

Well let me just put a full stop here.I dont know why I am arguing with you,I should know better .About the polytechnic issue let me, make it clear.About 70% of quantity surveyors that I have met went to polytechnics.One of the biggest QS firms in Nigeria, tillyard consultants 75% of its QS's have HND CERTIFICATES FROM POLYTECHNICS.

I know you might dispute this,but if you want to want to learn hands on practicals, POLY would be your best choice. Am telling you this because as POLTECHNIC graduate, I can work as a bricklayer,plumber and carpenter, because I have acquired, practical skills in school.Tell me how many university graduates of civil engineering can lay or even mould blocks, lay pipes for plumbing or even put together timber flush door am sure 80% wouldn't know how to.
Today I am a plumbing and water contractor because of the practical skills and hands on training from a Polytechnic.Graduates of polys might not get 5.0 CGPA but they know their ornions.
You're absolutely right. The PLOLYTECNIC GRADUATES are better in practical hand on skills right form technical school to polytechnic. This is one of the biggest problem we have in our education system today. Many university graduate that are unemployable, because they like skill to be productive. Let be honest with our self.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 10:39am On Sep 12, 2017
@baryton I just noticed the post now, thanks for the members that have answered your question.
To buttress there answers the chemical is called hydrochloric acid, if you are close to ojota ask them there, the gallon is blue but they sell in small quantities , also you can get it at coker Orile.
More so it's advisable to do this washing with chemical after 1-2week after you might have fixed the tiles bcs that chemical due weaken cement

(1) (2) (3) ... (767) (768) (769) (770) (771) (772) (773) ... (3678) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: rotecch77(m), Skydivine, Chikebrain and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.