Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,005 members, 7,866,812 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 05:58 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (81) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4514608 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (3698) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 4:35pm On Nov 09, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Perhaps in Nigeria but that should be negligent homicide.

Murder and manslaughter are both homicide. Genocide being the plural. Murder is killing with malice, intent or knowledge of the possibility of death while manslaughter is causing death due to negligence etc.

Our context is specifically involuntary manslaughter.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 4:43pm On Nov 09, 2015
EgunMogaji:

The most qualified person on my project to determine quality is me.

Are you a structural engineer or of a related discipline? If no, then you are not controling quality of the structure but controling quality of the finishing. They are two seperate things.

Even among structural engineers there are quality control engineers.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 4:50pm On Nov 09, 2015
Whilst moving around, I saw this Defender 110 and immediately remembered @EgunMogaji grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 5:44pm On Nov 09, 2015
EgunMogaji:

The most qualified person on my project to determine quality is me.
Sir, this statement is highly degrading to professional in building industry.

---------
Some things were not expected to be done anyhow grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 09, 2015
adanny01:

Are you a structural engineer or of a related discipline? If no, then you are not controling quality of the structure but controling quality of the finishing. They are two seperate things.

Even among structural engineers there are quality control engineers.

I hire the competent and licensed person when necessary for the task.

I control the entire build on my site, review and approve the work of all persons that work there.

My site, my money, my rule. I, my family and friends are going to be living there after the licensed professionals have cashed the checks.

Stop asking repugnant questions by the way. You and I have danced before and you know I'm not an engineer.

I control the quality on my site.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:53pm On Nov 09, 2015
segcymoor:

---------

While it's not my intention to degrade, my stance is unwavering.

My site, my money, my rule grin

I know what I want and simply want to pay someone to get my conceptualize idea onto the ground.

There's nothing that is being done anyhow on my site.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:55pm On Nov 09, 2015
KolaShangOne:
Whilst moving around, I saw this Defender 110 and immediately remembered @EgunMogaji grin

Thank you Sir. It will happen one day.

Zero sensors, no computer and two solid axles grin

PS: solid salute to you for using the word "whilst".

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:56pm On Nov 09, 2015
adanny01:

Murder and manslaughter are both homicide. Genocide being the plural. Murder is killing with malice, intent or knowledge of the possibility of death while manslaughter is causing death due to negligence etc.

Our context is specifically involuntary manslaughter.

I stand by what I wrote.

But again like I said this is Nigeria where anything goes.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:08pm On Nov 09, 2015
KolaShangOne:

You mean if he uses H-beams to deck his house it's gonna be cheaper than concrete? What will be placed on top of these H-beams to enable upper floor blocks to be continued? Plates? Have U added the cost?

Did iron roof truss for a 16x17m Bungalow using just 60mm angle iron z-purlins and it cost almost a million..

Bros, there are cheaper alternatives to using corrugated iron sheets now. You can use besta boards on the floor frame (around 2.5k per sqm) and I'm even considering using something more lighter and cheaper

The industry is constantly evolving and so we are.

_______

Learnt a lot of alternative building solution from the 6th Annual Affordable Housing Conference held in Singapore. We will definitely get there one day.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 6:34pm On Nov 09, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Some may say yes in the beginning and they waylay him in the middle grin

when the money finishes then he will hear does he expect me to use my money to build house for him.

its doable if he is building on half plot. It's important to know yhe size.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 6:47pm On Nov 09, 2015
brabus:
Oga koning, here's alternative solution using I-section from ground up. And there's about 4in layer of concrete

What is holding he slab underneath ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:51pm On Nov 09, 2015
skimanski:

What is holding he slab underneath ?

C Purlins
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 7:19pm On Nov 09, 2015
brabus:

C Purlins

Wood or Steel Purlins
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:26pm On Nov 09, 2015
skimanski:

Wood or Steel Purlins

Steel.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 7:53pm On Nov 09, 2015
brabus:

Steel.

So it Means when you add that to the 4inch Slab, you are looking at a thicker reinforcement than 6inch overall
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by koning: 8:19pm On Nov 09, 2015
brabus:
Oga koning, here's alternative solution using I-section from ground up. And there's about 4in layer of concrete

Thanks, a 4inch layer of concrete is more than enough for a one story duplex. It would get approval anywhere in the world except in Nigeria with very corrupt govt approval agents.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:19pm On Nov 09, 2015
skimanski:

So it Means when you add that to the 4inch Slab, you are looking at a thicker reinforcement than 6inch overall

The 4in slab is optional. I can decide to go for besta boards or use 0.7 guage stucco Aluminium and do a 4in concrete slab over it.

A 20' 150mm H-Beam costs 13k. For a slab of 150m2, I won't use more than 18 lengths. The purlins are in the range of 2.5/3k per m. By the time I sum up everything, I should be fine with 800k for the reinforcement minus the cost of woods and props and carpentary works cos they're no longer needed. Sorry woodworkers!

Trust me, it's cheaper in the long run. Im already planning to knock off the idea of running electrical pipes inside slab. I'm planning to go high on my ceilings and having cable trays installed for various services.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:23pm On Nov 09, 2015
This is what I'm talking about.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by koning: 8:28pm On Nov 09, 2015
adanny01:

You are getting so many things wrong.

As far as safety of a building is concerned and as a matter of law, it is not your responsibility. The responsibility is to the structural engineer and the approving authority. It is your structural engineers professional stamp/ seal that must appear on you drawing plans. He is responsible for your safety.

It is left unto you to convince him and its left onto him to convince the approving officer both who assume responsibility for your safety.

The only way you take responsibilty for your safety is if you as the client donot engage the services of the structural engineer as the project supervisor and he relinquishes that role usually written on his documents. You as the client and the Builder/contractor take that responsibility.

Structural engineering is not scary business but scientific with proofs. If you cant proof it, you cant do it.

What a ridiculous postulate within the Nigerian context. I will never rely on a Nigerian structural engineer civil servant to guarantee my safety in my own house. A house that i intend to live in with my children.
I have seen some of those so-called structural engineers at Alausa. With 10k people like you will get anything approved just to rip off your clients.
I will surely employ my own structural engineer and will NEVER use a structural engineer brought by the builder/contractor. He is an accomplice if you know what I mean.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by koning: 8:33pm On Nov 09, 2015
brabus:

The 4in slab is optional. I can decide to go for besta boards or use 0.7 guage stucco Aluminium and do a 4in concrete slab over it.

A 20' 150mm H-Beam costs 13k. For a slab of 150m2, I won't use more than 18 lengths. The purlins are in the range of 2.5/3k per m. By the time I sum up everything, I should be fine with 800k for the reinforcement minus the cost of woods and props and carpentary works cos they're no longer needed. Sorry woodworkers!

Trust me, it's cheaper in the long run. Im already planning to knock off the idea of running electrical pipes inside slab. I'm planning to go high on my ceilings and having cable trays installed for various services.

Way to go man !. You really have some good ideas. That's what I mean by thinking outside the box. I like the idea of installing cable trays high in the ceilings.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:36pm On Nov 09, 2015
How else do I wanna achieve wonderful designs like this if not i-section?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:37pm On Nov 09, 2015
brabus:

My ceiling will be high because the water pipes and other stuff like cabling will travel in the ceiling
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by koning: 8:40pm On Nov 09, 2015
segcymoor:

---------

Did he tell you he will do things 'anyhow'. He intends to do it differently and cost effective. I cannot begin to tell you how much my builder wasted on my project to lintel level. To the point that his oga, the structural engineer told him that he does not need so much columns for a one-story duplex.
However, I still gave him the green light to construct it like that. It will only make my house stronger. I did not manage costs in the construction of the foundation and the pillars. He designed and built.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:41pm On Nov 09, 2015
EgunMogaji:

My ceiling will be high because the water pipes and other stuff like cabling will travel in the ceiling

You forgot gas and HVAC. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:41pm On Nov 09, 2015
koning:

What a ridiculous postulate within the Nigerian context. I will never rely on a Nigerian structural engineer civil servant to guarantee my safety in my own house. A house that intend to live in with my children.
I have seen some of those so-called structural engineers at Alausa. With 10k people like you will get anything approved just to rip off your clients.
I will surely employ my own structural engineer and will NEVER use a structural engineer brought by the builder/contractor. He is an accomplice if you know what I mean.

I said this before and I'll say it again which I'm sure will be much to some peoples chagrin, again, "In America I Trust".

I was almost elynched last time I said it but what's new grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:46pm On Nov 09, 2015
@ Egunmogaji, What about fire sprinkler?

5 years experience working with key South African contractors who built The Palms Mall, Lekki was never in vain.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dieumerci(m): 8:53pm On Nov 09, 2015
koning:

What a ridiculous postulate within the Nigerian context. I will never rely on a Nigerian structural engineer civil servant to guarantee my safety in my own house. A house that i intend to live in with my children.
Hey! Boss Take some deep breaths and calm down.
Everyone here is not a builder seeking for a job from you.
People have made their contributions and they are not responsible for how you chose to comprehend that.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by koning: 9:16pm On Nov 09, 2015
Dieumerci:

Hey! Boss Take some deep breaths and calm down.
Everyone here is not a builder seeking for a job from you.
People have made their contributions and they are not responsible for how you chose to comprehend that.

Can I make my contributions too ?. Thank you. My posts are intended for everybody, builders and clients. Especially for the people who have the money to start building their own houses.

The bolded tells me you are a builder. well good luck to you. You will surely find enough magas

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dieumerci(m): 9:45pm On Nov 09, 2015
koning:

Can I make my contributions too ?. Thank you. My posts are intended for everybody, builders and clients. Especially for the people who have the money to start building their own houses.

The bolded tells me you are a builder. well good luck to you. You will surely find enough magas
Yes sir, I am a builder for my personal buildings.
Obviously, you are new in this properties section.
Be calm, read between the lines and discover those who are the professional builders here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dieumerci(m): 9:54pm On Nov 09, 2015
Can I make Pre-cast concrete parapet for between N3,000 - N3,300 per meter for a bungalow in Lagos.

Both materials and labour.

I know Abdulwastecx did about 50m for N3,600/m in Ogidi.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 10:12pm On Nov 09, 2015
koning:

I have seen some of those so-called structural engineers at Alausa. With 10k people like you will get anything approved (point of correction, SEALED not APPROVED) just to rip off your clients.

I lost words to say.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olasuposaheed(m): 10:37pm On Nov 09, 2015
Pls how many block can complete two bedroom flat

(1) (2) (3) ... (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) ... (3698) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.