Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,501 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (835) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4390860 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (832) (833) (834) (835) (836) (837) (838) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 2:54pm On Jan 01, 2018
segzy14:

Please go and learn how to copy and paste link
ok sir,pls do u kw it sir,i will appreciate it if you can teach me sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bvc(m): 3:16pm On Jan 01, 2018
Ready to paint your building?
- Get a free quotation that is proven to reduce cost
- Select from a variety of local and foreign paint products
- Locate certified painters around you for that impeccable finishing
- Get discounts for all paint purchases, just request for a coupon code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLNIgdTMRMM

www.expertpaintadvice.com.ng

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chris81964(m): 3:32pm On Jan 01, 2018
Happy new year to you and your families. 2018 is a year that is filled with promises
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 4:09pm On Jan 01, 2018
Timtol:

ok sir,pls do u kw it sir,i will appreciate it if you can teach me sir

1.Go to your profile
2.look at the list of topics you have generatec
3.put your cursor on the topic you want to copyright the link, and you will see options to choose from ,copy the topic or link
4.After copying the topic,paste it on the thread you want it to appear

Happy new year

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 5:25pm On Jan 01, 2018
Flaghouse1:

1.Go to your profile
2.look at the list of topics you have generatec
3.put your cursor on the topic you want to copyright the link, and you will see options to choose from ,copy the topic or link
4.After copying the topic,paste it on the thread you want it to appear

Happy new year
i think i also did the same, but is it that i will copy the link for the whole thread or the only part i want to share?
tnks a lot sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flaghouse1: 6:36pm On Jan 01, 2018
Timtol:

i think i also did the same, but is it that i will copy the link for the whole thread or the only part i want to share?
tnks a lot sir

It's the whole link if it contains what you want to show your readers ,or from your browser where that particular information you want to display is,just copy the information on the browser and paste where you want the link to be shared or opened

Cheers
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 7:51pm On Jan 01, 2018
My Ogas una Happy New year oo.

I have been following this thread and learning new stuffs in building Construction. I have learnt so much that I think now qualifies me as a " builder" grin grin

Lot's of questions circling in my head, I am able to see the answers on this thread.

I got a question though, why do people paint their houses like this( picture below). Some people even paint both interior and exterior of their house in this rough looking format. I visited a friend years ago and the painting brushed my arm. I am still nursing the injury till date(joke).

Bt seriously though, what is the reasoning behind painting houses like that why can't people paint houses to be smooth instead of looking rough.

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:01pm On Jan 01, 2018
Badgers14:

I have been following this thread and learning new stuffs in building Construction. I have learnt so much that I think now qualifies me as a " builder" grin grin

Lot's of questions circling in my head, I am able to see the answers on this thread.

I got a question though, why do people paint their houses like this( picture below). Some people even paint both interior and exterior of their house in this rough looking format. I visited a friend years ago and the painting brushed my arm. I am still nursing the injury till date(joke).

Bt seriously though, what is the reasoning behind painting houses like that why can't people paint houses to be smooth instead of looking rough.

One painter said it's because the wall is not screeeded... The rough particle will cover all holes and rough surfaces....me don't like it though cause it allow insect and reptiles to crop in
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:13pm On Jan 01, 2018
Badgers14:

Textured paint have some level of thickness and could fill hairline cracks but I think it's just another type of paint that was in vogue then.
Textured paint tend to be more durable than regular emulsion due to the film thickness on application and is mostly used for external walls but there are emulsion grades that are equally very durable now and more aesthetically pleasing.
Those that had textured paint in their homes are now screeding over it .
I'm of the opinion it's an old school type of paint. it's hardly used in new buildings now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:06pm On Jan 01, 2018
rotecch77:
END OF THE YEAR FREE TIPS ON BEST WAY
TO CONSTRUCT SUCK AWAY AND SAFETY
TANK THAT CAN LAST 50YRS BEFORE
EVACUATING IT

best way to construct this system for both residential and commercial buildings.

All water from the safety tank will later go to suck away plus water from bath all together which will then be sink down.

Dont be surprised the water from the safety tank foul water.(shit water) will become semi clean as that of bath water when it comes out from that last section of the safety tank without bad odour.

More details coming soon when i have much time to write how this system work.

More so i will send the current one am work on when i resume back to work

See the sketch

Is this likened to the logic behind sedimentation?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 01, 2018
Badgers14:

So, here we call it stucco.

It's actually a cement finish that is then painted. There are various textures available.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:51pm On Jan 01, 2018
@bixton, there will still be little sediment likely to be occure in small quantity in section A of the safety tanks
Although it will be increases as year goes on but it will take so many yrs before it will filled up, Moslty its foul water that do filled up most non sectional safety tank but in this case the foul water will be semi clean and sink down at suck away section of the system mostly in dry land area.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 12:08am On Jan 02, 2018
Flaghouse1:

It's the whole link if it contains what you want to show your readers ,or from your browser where that particular information you want to display is,just copy the information on the browser and paste where you want the link to be shared or opened

Cheers

okay boss thanks.
About the second method you mentioned, i don't want to do such 'cause it's the issue of posting and posting which got me the corrections last year.
2018 A YEAR OF NEWNESS.
Any better alternative sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:16am On Jan 02, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 12:33am On Jan 02, 2018
EgunMogaji:
https://www.nairaland.com/3916073/cornerstone-contemporary-design
tnx a lot boss.
I think it's the whole thread,it's okay tho.How did you do it sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 12:53am On Jan 02, 2018
rotecch77:
@bixton, there will still be little sediment likely to be occure in small quantity in section A of the safety tanks
Although it will be increases as year goes on but it will take so many yrs before it will filled up, Moslty its foul water that do filled up most non sectional safety tank but in this case the foul water will be semi clean and sink down at suck away section of the system mostly in dry land area.

I guess one can add some layers of aggregate materials (sharp sand and granite) at the bottom of the suck away section to further reduce the pollution of the waste water to under ground water,etc,etc.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:02am On Jan 02, 2018
FastShipping:

Color war. They all look uninspiring to me. Mismatch of interior finishing materials.

While that may be the case, I think the first property with clever soft furnishing will pull it off better. You can't discount light and airy neutral interior which is like a blank canvas.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:25am On Jan 02, 2018
PHOTO CRITIQUE: CHOICE OF COLOURS 2

More neutral painting and decorating. Now compare the last kitchen photo; it's an expensive well built kitchen no doubt but the chequered dark tiles make the kitchen too busy and oppressive. Now imagine you want to colour code the kitchens, so you settle for red appliances like red microwave, red electric kettle and red toaster; the coded colour will be more aesthetically pleasing on the eye in the first kitchen and will be lost in the last kitchen because the last kitchen is just too busy and without coherence. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice kitchen but less presented with the choice of wall tiles.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:05am On Jan 02, 2018
COLOUR CODE (THEME) KITCHENS: EXAMPLES

The attached photos are example how one can spruce up a kitchen if the painting, wall and floor tiles are light neutral colours. When painting and decorating, it is good advice to pick your colours wisely with a them in mind. Ask your painter or tiler the necessary questions and listen to professional advice if you don't have a colour scheme or theme in mind.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nwaorlu: 2:38am On Jan 02, 2018
spyder880:

My brother, negotiations always continue with workers even when they have started working, especially if some conditions change. I employed this painter to paint this whole house, from;

POP ceiling painting with white emulsion paint
All inner room painting
All outside wall painting with silk paint
Parapet fascia painting
Inside of my fence with texcote
Spray painting one locally made door

All agreed at N130k.

However the time frame agreed for the completion of the works is past, not any of his fault but materials sourcing delays. Plus some other screeding works he did on his own. So he is asking to collect an additional N20k.

Thanks for the sharing your painting cost. I will be needing a painter in the near future, can I have your painter contact info? Congrats, you house is elegant.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 4:34am On Jan 02, 2018
diordaves:

PHOTO CRITIQUE: CHOICE OF COLOURS 2

More neutral painting and decorating. Now compare the last kitchen photo; it's an expensive well built kitchen no doubt but the chequered dark tiles make the kitchen too busy and oppressive. Now imagine you want to colour code the kitchens, so you settle for red appliances like red microwave, red electric kettle and red toaster; the coded colour will be more aesthetically pleasing on the eye in the first kitchen and will be lost in the last kitchen because the last kitchen is just too busy and without coherence. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice kitchen but less presented with the choice of wall tiles.

I like the brightness of the interior but not so impressed overall because of the paint work and few other things. If you look closely, the painting was poor and the ceiling design not good enough. That ceiling design is not something you are going to like seeing after seeing it for the next three years. You get tired of it and it becomes boring. They should have gone for something better. I'm not a fan of using tiles in place of skirting boards. It's very hard in Nigeria to see skirting done with boards. They always go with tiles instead. I don't know why it is so.

The cabinets for the first kitchen were too poor in the sense that they are not the right size when you look at the space from the top of the cabinets to the ceiling level. Just look at the space between the cabinets and the ceiling. Did they convert a gymnasium into a kitchen or what? The kitchen height or head room is ridiculous. The level of the gas cooker is not on same level with the cabinets. The kitchen was poorly done.

No comment on the checkered tiles kitchen.

In all, I rate the finishing 4/10.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 5:19am On Jan 02, 2018
FastShipping:

I like the brightness of the interior but not so impressed overall because of the paint work and few other things. If you look closely, the painting was poor and the ceiling design not good enough. That ceiling design is not something you are going to like seeing after seeing it for the next three years. You get tired of it and it becomes boring. They should have gone for something better. I'm not a fan of using tiles in place of skirting boards. It's very hard in Nigeria to see skirting done with boards. They always go with tiles instead. I don't know why it is so.

The cabinets for the first kitchen were too poor in the sense that they are not the right size when you look at the space from the top of the cabinets to the ceiling level. Just look at the space between the cabinets and the ceiling. Did they convert a gymnasium into a kitchen or what? The kitchen height or head room is ridiculous. The level of the gas cooker is not on same level with the cabinets. The kitchen was poorly done.

I totally Agree with you on all your comments, Mostly the Bolded. I think Simplicity and Symmetry should have been put into consideration.

Then for the Kitchen Cabinets, the Cost of project or profit might have been what was taken solely into consideration. the outcome was never taken into consideration.

The 3D perspective designs are better. thats because during this stage you mainly think of the outcome, and not cost of production nor profit.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:22am On Jan 02, 2018
nwaorlu:

Thanks for the sharing your painting cost. I will be needing a painter in the near future, can I have your painter contact info? Congrats, you house is elegant.

Call Ifeanyi on 0803 934 6130. Tell him Kenneth gave you the number.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 5:41am On Jan 02, 2018
diordaves:

COLOUR CODE (THEME) KITCHENS: EXAMPLES

The attached photos are example how one can spruce up a kitchen if the painting, wall and floor tiles are light neutral colours. When painting and decorating, it is good advice to pick your colours wisely with a them in mind. Ask your painter or tiler the necessary questions and listen to professional advice if you don't have a colour scheme or theme in mind.

On that first kitchen, what's the brown floors doing in a kitchen with blue walls, black cabinets and RED fittings and chairs? I think the floor should have been of a lighter colour and related to one of the other existing colours. The first kitchen is too "bold" in appearance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:36am On Jan 02, 2018
2017 was a fantastic year of operations in my company. Check out our annual summary page here ........

https://www.nairaland.com/2060748/tigerkenn-homes-annual-summary-page/1#63777440

Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 7:59pm On Jan 02, 2018
gbadexy:

Textured paint have some level of thickness and could fill hairline cracks but I think it's just another type of paint that was in vogue then.
Textured paint tend to be more durable than regular emulsion due to the film thickness on application and is mostly used for external walls but there are emulsion grades that are equally very durable now and more aesthetically pleasing.
Those that had textured paint in their homes are now screeding over it .
I'm of the opinion it's an old school type of paint. it's hardly used in new buildings now.

In Nigeria, the real reason 'most' owners use it is because they know it can hurt people's skin! undecided
Even abroad, they use it on most external walls and just use paint to touch it up occassionally, but very rarely

Just look around and you will see that it is commonly used in areas where people are known to frequent (high traffic areas like staircase areas, Fence, ground floor walls, e.t.c)
See, children and some mischievious adults have this bad habit of rubbing dirt on the walls, wiping their hands on walls, e.t.c.
Let them just try to rub their hands or even allow their body to rub against this textured paint.... Nobody will advice them against it next time!
grin grin grin
That paint can tear skin nayhow.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 02, 2018
spyder880:
2017 was a fantastic year of operations in my company. Check out our annual summary page here ........

https://www.nairaland.com/2060748/tigerkenn-homes-annual-summary-page/1#63777440

Thank you all.

Congratulations Chairman.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:22pm On Jan 02, 2018
Daboomb:

In Nigeria, the real reason 'most' owners use it is because they know it can hurt people's skin! undecided
Even abroad, they use it on most external walls and just use paint to touch it up occassionally, but very rarely

Just look around and you will see that it is commonly used in areas where people are known to frequent (high traffic areas like staircase areas, Fence, ground floor walls, e.t.c)
See, children and some mischievious adults have this bad habit of rubbing dirt on the walls, wiping their hands on walls, e.t.c.
Let them just try to rub their hands or even allow their body to rub against this textured paint.... Nobody will advice them against it next time!
grin grin grin
That paint can tear skin nayhow.
You are correct sir, it can cause tears on the skin of both the occupant and visitors when rubbed against. it doesn't really prevent it from dirt.
Some don't like it because reptiles can easily climb it.
To reduce dirt pickup, the wall could be varnished so that it has a sort of shiny nylon lamination that serves as sacrificial coat. Since dirt and grease can stick well on it, it could easily be washed off by rain or soft sponge and mild soap.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 10:46pm On Jan 02, 2018
gbadexy:

You are correct sir, it can cause tears on the skin of both the occupant and visitors when rubbed against. it doesn't really prevent it from dirt.
Some don't like it because reptiles can easily climb it.
To reduce dirt pickup, the wall could be varnished so that it has a sort of shiny nylon lamination that serves as sacrificial coat. Since dirt and grease can stick well on it, it could easily be washed off by rain or soft sponge and mild soap.

This man again, in this 2018! shocked shocked
You are always full of brilliant ideas when it comes to paints and painting issues.
I salute you

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:10pm On Jan 02, 2018
FastShipping:

Some valid point you've pointed out.

With the POP design, not everyone will like the symmetric clean line design it seems you favour. Some will go for the curved walls with intricate design and even religious symbols and statement. Whatever the design, it is good advise to have a balance and coherence.

I'm with you on the skirting board. It's a hard act to follow sourcing skirting board in Nigeria; but if one can source it, skirting board is a better outcome. However, tile skirting can make a sophisticated statement if done properly. As currently done in Nigeria, the whole concept is just lost in translation. As done in Nigeria, the skirting tile is too thin and almost always of the same tile with the floor tile. This must not be so. The skirting tile can be of different colour from the floor tile and more bold in cut and presentation. See photo. Again the skirting tile must not always be glazed, a mat finish surface presents better. There is also bathroom skirting tiles with edging. (I've seen this in Orile), see last photo. With a bit of interior design ingenuity, tile skirting will present well like the second photo.

Now the kitchen cabinets are the short size. The standard height should be 723mm or the long 900mm. The headroom of the kitchen is so high that it made nonsense of the short wall units. The wall unit should have been a minimum of 723mm.

The cooker range being shorter than the worktop is an anomaly not for aesthetics but for practicality of use. The use of an out sized pot will pose a challenge as the pot will be hemmed in by the worktop edges.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nwaorlu: 12:11am On Jan 03, 2018
Thanks, I will when am ready.

spyder880:

Call Ifeanyi on 0803 934 6130. Tell him Kenneth gave you the number.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 1:19am On Jan 03, 2018
Iron rod (Local) price from N175,000/ton

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (832) (833) (834) (835) (836) (837) (838) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: diordaves(m), walexyll(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.