Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,930 members, 7,863,281 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 02:26 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (844) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4506673 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (841) (842) (843) (844) (845) (846) (847) ... (3696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 19, 2018
diordaves:

yes the tank arrangement is like you said: 1, 1 and two.

The holding capacity of the tower is for about 5500 litres x 4 Tanks, its 5500 litre tank per each three bedroom flats, 2 x One bedroom flats will use one 5500 litres and 2 x two bedroom flat will use one 5500 litres tank. it is a total of six flats.

To be honest I'm not sure of the foundation dept but it is not H-Beam but galvanized

Thanks sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 19, 2018
Aventures, Spyder880, Skimanski, KolaShangOne, etc

Question for you guys.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen you guys build a 2 story house without building the lower floor partitions first. Is there a reason why you do not build the pillars and then deck before building out the partitions?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 6:59pm On Jan 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Question for you guys.

I'm not sure that I've ever seen you guys build a 2 story house without building the lower floor partitions first. Is there a reason why you do not build the pillars and then deck before building out the partitions?

Thanks.
There are lots of this showcase on here
https://www.nairaland.com/2522848/construction-medium-high-rise-multi the process may be a little costlier than the conventional way but it has advantage of speed, and adequate structural members sizes. It is advisable to use the method if you are going multiple floors so that your columns can have adequate strength for the building loads.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:09pm On Jan 19, 2018
Rubbiish:

Why u no talk say u na engineer nau...U con dey deceive us
You are right sir, R may attain maximum strength faster than N, but i believe they will eventually attain same strength, since they are same grade.
I only see R to be suitable for projects with limited time, say one is concreting a floor to be used by vehicles next week, just maybe it will be more suitable to use R.
I no Engine anything, i be Biochemist but neva practice, but Nigeria turn me to what i am now, material vendor, I read am for book e oo, in fela voice. China grade of Cement is x2+ our Almighty 42.5, i do not question it because due to occurring natural disaster faced, the grade is high.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:14pm On Jan 19, 2018
Chekitaut:
I no Engine anything, i be Biochemist but neva practice, but Nigeria turn me to what i am now, material vendor, I read am for book e oo, in fela voice. China grade of Cement is x2+ our Almighty 42.5, i do not question it because due to occurring natural disaster faced, the grade is high.
Not only u my brother, the state of the country swerve most of us go occupation different from our course of study. China na baba for anything, those ones can produce cement that will cure same day.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 19, 2018
Aventures:
There are lots of this showcase on here
https://www.nairaland.com/2522848/construction-medium-high-rise-multi the process may be a little costlier than the conventional way but it has advantage of speed, and adequate structural members sizes. It is advisable to use the method if you are going multiple floors so that your columns can have adequate strength for the building loads.

Okay thanks, I forgot about that thread.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:20pm On Jan 19, 2018
Chekitaut:
hahaha grin. I studied biochemistry also, circumstance and condition reformat my brain.
Your client at ppl has high confidence in your capabilities.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 7:31pm On Jan 19, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Question for you guys.

Thanks.
Only 2 people does that on the forum, segcymoore & aventure.

check them out

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:46pm On Jan 19, 2018
Badgers14:
Greetings my Ogas in the house.

I have been following many threads here in properties section and I enjoy seeing so many constructions going on and I wish everyone both the clients, the contractors and us onlookers good luck in all our endeavors.

But, while we embark on this construction journeys, I ask for us to be aware of site safety. I have seen pictures from different sites where workers are working without shoes(ten toes), in some sites workers are wearing bathroom slippers.

Abeg, site engineers, architects, contractors please lets try and reinforce workers safety on site. It starts with simple PPE.

Thank you!!!

workmen go tell u say e dey delay work.. lol

a few big company used to enforce it..

I remembered an electrical guy who was fixing a fault without glove.. he nearly died not funny that day
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 9:46pm On Jan 19, 2018
gbadexy:

After being assured by the expert in the house that the cracks are superficial, then I could say you either screed the wall or apply a primer coat of thick emulsion in multiple coats.

Which would be cheaper, between screeding and multiple layers of primer Coat emulsion?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:19am On Jan 20, 2018
peaceland:
Thank you @Chekitaut for this post.
I had a serious fight with my bricklayer over several cracks (tiny funny lines all over the place like spider web).
My initial thought is that he did not use enough cement; he tried to prove he did and then i blamed the sand and him that with his years of experience should have known the sand is not suitable (which was the sand he advised we get anyway).
Now I am thinking I might have been a bit unfair because i know we used the R (although he still should know the nexus between R & cracking anyway)
Now his position is that this can be corrected if i screed the walls; i really do not want to screed anything (cost factor)
my questions are:
1-can screeding help?
2-what other options are available aside from screeding?
thank you

I think that type of cracks is called mapped cracking, this occurs a lot on plastered wall which may be due to the grade of the plaster sand ( very smooth plaster ) that is why we normally add stone dust to our plaster sand to minimize such cracks or due to the the temperature ( during harmattan season the plaster dry quickly due to loss of moisture ).

Such cracks can easily be corrected by screeding the wall after the wall had dried completely.
You don't have to worry about such

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:25am On Jan 20, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Question for you guys.

Thanks.

Even bungalows can be built using system of frame structure.
The standard way to build any building with suspended floor is through reinforced concrete framing where the columns, beams and the slab are built before the partition walls are added to the construction later. This method of construction enable the structural members to be properly cured, have adequate dimension ( especially beams) and enable the end conditions ( joint between beams and columns to be achieved but it has the advantage of lack of proper bonding between the columns and the adjoining walls but such shortcomings can corrected using a binder

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:29am On Jan 20, 2018
CharlesAA:
Hi Superstars,

we are doing the ironworks for a foundation, its about 2m in height, being that its a waterlogged area of magboro, lagos ibadan road.

now the panel supplier is charging 1k/sqm, calculation for sqm for the framing is about 355sqm.

is this a fair price?

where else can I get a panel for use, so i can do a comparison of the prices.

Are you building a raft foundation? if yes, such price represent a better value for money than other alternative available
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:06am On Jan 20, 2018
abdulwastecx:

The standard way to build any building with suspended floor is through reinforced concrete framing where the columns, beams and the slab are built before the partition walls are added to the construction later. This method of construction enable the structural members to be properly cured, have adequate dimension ( especially beams) and enable the end conditions ( joint between beams and columns to be achieved but it has the advantage of lack of proper bonding between the columns and the adjoining walls but such shortcomings can corrected using a binder

Herr Dokter, happy New Year Sir.

So why is this not common?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:08am On Jan 20, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Herr Dokter, happy New Year Sir.

So why is this not common?

Happy new year sir.
Cost is the major bottleneck sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 3:28am On Jan 20, 2018
Daboomb:

Which would be cheaper, between screeding and multiple layers of primer Coat emulsion?
The primer would be cheaper. A drum of N4500 can cover 20 sqm and if made the exact color with the finish paint, the actual paint quantity required would reduce.
A painter would finish a room in an hour technically. Although he would have to wait to apply the second coat, but then he would have covered more areas with the first coat.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 5:27am On Jan 20, 2018
gbadexy:

The primer would be cheaper. A drum of N4500 can cover 20 sqm and if made the exact color with the finish paint, the actual paint quantity required would reduce.
A painter would finish a room in an hour technically. Although he would have to wait to apply the second coat, but then he would have covered more areas with the first coat.
Oga Gbadexy,
Thanks for your response.
Who makes the primer; the painter or the paint company?. If it is the company, do you tell them what color you want. Or is primer a particular product you buy differently from the paint or mix with paint color?. How does this work when you have different paint colors in mind for each room.
Pls enlighten us.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:08am On Jan 20, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Question for you guys.

Thanks.

Framed structures are faster to build, with few advantages over the block+frame structures, but the cost of materials like wood will increase, many clients looks to reduce building cost so might not agree to it.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 7:27am On Jan 20, 2018
spyder880:

Framed structures are faster to build, with few advantages over the block+frame structures, but the cost of materials like wood will increase, many clients looks to reduce building cost so might not agree to it.
Well said sir. carpentry labour could be a bit higher. You need a very good carpenter that is technically inclined. It also require more supervision effort.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 7:30am On Jan 20, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Great Lecture I concur in totality. Also in future it makes restructuring easier.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:33am On Jan 20, 2018
Aventures:
Well said sir. carpentry labour could be a bit higher. You need a very good carpenter that is technically inclined. It also require more supervision effort.

I love the one you built in Lagos two years ago. Very solid structure.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 8:39am On Jan 20, 2018
From 22nd, Jan 2018, price of Granite (shippings) raise start from N2,200/ton.
We regret to announce this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:50am On Jan 20, 2018
Truthinlife:

Oga Gbadexy,
Thanks for your response.
Who makes the primer; the painter or the paint company?. If it is the company, do you tell them what color you want. Or is primer a particular product you buy differently from the paint or mix with paint color?. How does this work when you have different paint colors in mind for each room.
Pls enlighten us.
Paint manufacturers make them. Some paint companies have primers as a separate product while some painters just use white emulsion paint as primer.
The primer I mean is not to consolidate weak substrate before final painting, but rather a high solid content paint with sufficient film thickness to cover hairline cracks.
The painters know some low quality brands that are thick on application but doesn't spread far. You could use those or get a ready mixed putty basecoat or flex coat and thin slightly with water then apply with short nap roller, both of which are thick paste like plasters usually applied with trowel.
After application, the painter would need a very smooth sandpaper to smoothen the surface slightly to level the roller mark before painting.
There may be some difficulty in having it on similar color for building with many different colors.
While the ready mixed putty comes in white, flex coat and some brand of paints come in colors.
Basically what you need is a thick paint that can fill cracks and if your painter can handle it, he could mix the powder putty filler or cement with emulsion paint to form a thick paste and use their scraper to apply it to fill the cracks, then scrape off the excess to leave a level surface.
The problem with the latter is that the cracks may be numerous and in places hands can't reach and may take much time to complete.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:06am On Jan 20, 2018
From Monday 22nd Jan, 2018
Mainland
30tons @N140k

Island, V. I, Ikoyi, Lekki-Ajah
30tons @N150k
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:27pm On Jan 20, 2018
Aventures:

Adventures and Spyder880, why would the cost be higher? Frame structure approach is building the columns first before block setting right? Is it not the same number of columns with frame approach and block setting approach? Or is the number of columns more with frame approach?

For example if the architectural drawings are 24 columns, would you necessary increase the columns due to frame approach? Then the cost should be same as you still would construct 24 columns or even cheaper as you could save on wood with build and transfer.

Do you think I'm not getting the nitty gritty of it all? If yes, please educate because frame approach is a very beautiful and practical method for budget control and phased building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 1:45pm On Jan 20, 2018
You are more than very correct , I could remember back then one of my lecturer asked this question. Frame structure safe cost and if you organize your project very well it will safe time
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 3:11pm On Jan 20, 2018
diordaves:

Adventures and Spyder880, why would the cost be higher? Frame structure approach is building the columns first before block setting right? Is it not the same number of columns with frame approach and block setting approach? Or is the number of columns more with frame approach?

For example if the architectural drawings are 24 columns, would you necessary increase the columns due to frame approach? Then the cost should be same as you still would construct 24 columns or even cheaper as you could save on wood with build and transfer.

Do you think I'm not getting the nitty gritty of it all? If yes, please educate because frame approach is a very beautiful and practical method for budget control and phased building.

sir, in frame structure you will need four planks to form each column with a lot more bracing, compare to the other method where you will need two or even one , you will need planks for the soffit of beam but in the other way you don't. Also the concrete is more compacted and you can even vibrate it well. The difference is minimal any way.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:05pm On Jan 20, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Question for you guys.

Thanks.

I think Aventures has done it before on here. Mainly used for multi-storey buildings. I don't think framed structures actually costs more. Maybe just a little more. It's actually very good. You can finish all your concrete jobs at once.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 6:10pm On Jan 20, 2018
Aventures:
sir, in frame structure you will need four planks to form each column with a lot more bracing, compare to the other method where you will need two or even one , you will need planks for the soffit of beam but in the other way you don't. Also the concrete is more compacted and you can even vibrate it well. The difference is minimal any way.

True. When you're going multi-storey, you can use the planks almost immediately which means you don't have to buy planks all over again compared to when you build together with partitions which may reduce the difference in cost.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 20, 2018
KolaShangOne:

I think Aventures has done it before on here. Mainly used for multi-storey buildings. I don't think framed structures actually costs more. Maybe just a little more. It's actually very good. You can finish all your concrete jobs at once.

I've seen that thread now. Not sure how I forget about it as I was a participant on it.

I think the higher cost is due to the plank used on the side that a brick wall would have been.

I do agree that the Carpenter must be on point and measurements must me fastidiously performed. I like it personally.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 7:43pm On Jan 20, 2018
gbadexy:

Paint manufacturers make them. Some paint companies have primers as a separate product while some painters just use white emulsion paint as primer.
The primer I mean is not to consolidate weak substrate before final painting, but rather a high solid content paint with sufficient film thickness to cover hairline cracks.
The painters know some low quality brands that are thick on application but doesn't spread far. You could use those or get a ready mixed putty basecoat or flex coat and thin slightly with water then apply with short nap roller, both of which are thick paste like plasters usually applied with trowel.
After application, the painter would need a very smooth sandpaper to smoothen the surface slightly to level the roller mark before painting.
There may be some difficulty in having it on similar color for building with many different colors.
While the ready mixed putty comes in white, flex coat and some brand of paints come in colors.
Basically what you need is a thick paint that can fill cracks and if your painter can handle it, he could mix the powder putty filler or cement with emulsion paint to form a thick paste and use their scraper to apply it to fill the cracks, then scrape off the excess to leave a level surface.
The problem with the latter is that the cracks may be numerous and in places hands can't reach and may take much time to complete.
I appreciate sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 8:08pm On Jan 20, 2018
Ogas in d house good evening. Pls is 2days enough to lay foundation for 4bedroom flat

(1) (2) (3) ... (841) (842) (843) (844) (845) (846) (847) ... (3696) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Akerewe(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.