Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,451 members, 7,830,236 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (868) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4431338 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (865) (866) (867) (868) (869) (870) (871) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:53am On Feb 13, 2018
Memejem:
Do people use POP for bathroom ceilings? Or is it better to use pvc for the ceiling?
Use PVC ceiling for your bathrooms sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:10am On Feb 13, 2018
tobbyboy2011:
Please house, can I build a 2 flats of two bedroom on a half plot of land?

Too tight. A typical 2 bedroom will use up 11m x 8m.. (22m x 8m) and the half plot is 15 x 15m I suppose..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yak(m): 9:18am On Feb 13, 2018
tobbyboy2011:
Please house, can I build a 2 flats of two bedroom on a half plot of land?

what's the dimensions of the plot?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by chidexy(m): 11:18am On Feb 13, 2018
Memejem:
Do people use POP for bathroom ceilings? Or is it better to use pvc for the ceiling?

Yes, I used in mine.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jadell: 11:44am On Feb 13, 2018
chidexy:

Please go for POP. It's safer, more durable and look good aesthetically. I considered using Innoson for part of my project, but when I got a quote from them and compared it with the cost of doing POP, I had to beat a retreat. If you don't have all the fund at once, you can realise the project in bits. I have completed now almost 300 square meters

Thanks. Mine is just like 220sqmt for my duplex, I don't have energy for the attached 2 units of 3 bedrooms for now.��

I am going with POP, they are starting next week.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 12:18pm On Feb 13, 2018
Chekitaut:
Call me
Oga Chekitaut I hope you have set things up for me. Time is money so no dissappoint me oh.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nigranks: 12:21pm On Feb 13, 2018
@chidexy Can you pls help us with the costing for Pop and also recommend good worker here in Lagos
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:28pm On Feb 13, 2018
Rubbiish:

Use PVC ceiling for your bathrooms sir

Why Sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 12:33pm On Feb 13, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Why Sir?
POP - Fire resistant but not friendly with water
PVC - Water resistant, not friendly with fire.

It is natural for water to splash on doors & ceiling during bath, it is recommended to use PVC for bathroom ceilngs & doors.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:46pm On Feb 13, 2018
Rubbiish:

POP - Fire resistant but not friendly with water
PVC - Water resistant, not friendly with fire.

It is natural for water to splash on doors & ceiling during bath, it is recommended to use PVC for bathroom ceilngs & doors.

Whom ever showers with water reaching the ceiling probably need to review their methods grin

Anyways, a good quality gloss paint will take care of that.

PVC should actually be banned from the market.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Memejem: 12:57pm On Feb 13, 2018
If pvc should be banned what material did you use for plumbing?

EgunMogaji:

Whom ever showers with water reaching the ceiling probably need to review their methods grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:04pm On Feb 13, 2018
Memejem:
If pvc should be banned what material did you use for plumbing?

You can answer that question yourself Sir.

But we’re talking about ceiling, not plumbing wink

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:23pm On Feb 13, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I am almost 7ft (6ft 4ins exact) tall with long hand span and no water on my ceilings.
POP can retain or repell water to a very extense.
There is no justification not to use POP in a bathroom.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 1:25pm On Feb 13, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I concur with you sir absolutely. I have done External POP fascial and ceiling screened with external screening material painted with gloss, years counting and they are still functional and neat.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 1:28pm On Feb 13, 2018
EgunMogaji:

LMAO

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nigranks: 1:41pm On Feb 13, 2018
Let us agree and not disagree to cause rancour.share your pop pics and pop costing. cry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 1:47pm On Feb 13, 2018
Nigranks:
@chidexy Can you pls help us with the costing for Pop and also recommend good worker here in Lagos

Cc dominionng

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Memejem: 2:07pm On Feb 13, 2018
Sorry, it was a serious question. I didn’t mean to irritate.

I was under the impression that pvc piping material was one of the best

EgunMogaji:

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 2:11pm On Feb 13, 2018
EgunMogaji:

Not everyone can afford POP sir
My dad used PVC ceiling for his house, all through. Till this moment the PVC looks very good. Its cleaning is very easy.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2018
Memejem:
Sorry, it was a serious question. I didn’t mean to irritate.

I was under the impression that pvc piping material was one of the best

I wasn’t irritated at all actually.

PVC is good for plumbing up to a point. Our artisans are lazy because there are some places where metal should be used.

When plastic burns it gives off chemicals and this is why I don’t like PVC for ceiling. Fire doesn’t kill as much as smoke and what it contains.

By the way you can also use PEX for plumbing. I hope to use this on my main house.

If you have time https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing/plumbing-with-pex-tubing/view-all/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 2:19pm On Feb 13, 2018
mufutau55:

I am almost 7ft tall and no water on my ceilings.
POP can retain or repell water to a very extense.
There is no justification not to use POP in a bathroom.

Hajji M.
7ft shocked U use shower or bath?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:22pm On Feb 13, 2018
Rubbiish:

Not everyone can afford POP sir
My dad used PVC ceiling for his house, all through. Till this moment the PVC looks very good. Its cleaning is very easy.

Cleaning is not my issue with PVC, it’s fire and safety. There are also alternatives to PVC and POP as far as roofing is concerned.

I used PVC for my soffit but will be changed to wood soon.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Memejem: 2:29pm On Feb 13, 2018
Thank you for the information. I will look into this. I hope they have this in Nigeria

EgunMogaji:

I wasn’t irritated at all actually.

PVC is good for plumbing up to a point. Our artisans are lazy because there are some places where metal should be used.

When plastic burns it gives off chemicals and this is why I don’t like PVC for ceiling. Fire doesn’t kill as much as smoke and what it contains.

By the way you can also use PEX for plumbing. I hope to use this on my main house.

If you have time https://www.familyhandyman.com/plumbing/plumbing-with-pex-tubing/view-all/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by meohio7777: 2:48pm On Feb 13, 2018
How about something like this compare to PVC. POP was used for the living rooms and corrido
EgunMogaji:

Cleaning is not my issue with PVC, it’s fire and safety. There are also alternatives to PVC and POP as far as roofing is concerned.

I used PVC for my soffit but will be changed to wood soon.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nigranks: 2:51pm On Feb 13, 2018
@meohio7777 any idea of the cost
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 3:01pm On Feb 13, 2018
Chicken piller

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 3:24pm On Feb 13, 2018
AZUH:
Chicken piller
lol...going good,nice work
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 13, 2018
meohio7777:
How about something like this compare to PVC. POP was used for the living rooms and corrido

We’ve discussed that one on here too. They call it asbestos but it actually doesn’t have asbestos in it anymore.

Better alternative to pvc for looks but I haven’t seen the fire tests.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nbg4real: 3:29pm On Feb 13, 2018
but i saw pop having cracks and even falled down. how can that be prevented?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 3:50pm On Feb 13, 2018
Nbg4real:
but i saw pop having cracks and even falled down. how can that be prevented?

When not done properly

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 5:46pm On Feb 13, 2018
Aventures:
I concur with you sir absolutely. I have done External POP fascial and ceiling screened with external screening material painted with gloss, years counting and they are still functional and neat.
This is interesting and very possible. The main thing is to have a waterproof barrier.
Adding white cement with gypsum cement further still improves it's durability when in contact with water.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Androidking: 6:31pm On Feb 13, 2018
Guys I have serious question Or let me say important question
We all know that most people that design three to 4 storey building usually use kick out columns
Even when der is cantilever or not
Pls I want to ask is it actually necessary or it old style of building
What if u buried d pillar for it to flush with d wall is der any structural implication in it ??

Because I building of 3 deck and d structural ENGR buried d columns inside d walls and it was stamped and approved by LGA .

Now I saw an ENGR who is building 4 deck and he kicked out his columns but in d architectural design of the same house . d architect (me) designed it in a away all column must be buried .

Does it mean our engrs cant do wonders with structures any more. .must I kick out my columns pls I need answers and ideas. Thanks

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (865) (866) (867) (868) (869) (870) (871) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: twinskenny(m), Beframia, Anthony223

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.