Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,814 members, 7,851,733 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:47 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (869) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4481543 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (866) (867) (868) (869) (870) (871) (872) ... (3689) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 6:46pm On Feb 13, 2018
mufutau55:

I am almost 7ft tall and no water on my ceilings.
POP can retain or repell water to a very extense.
There is no justification not to use POP in a bathroom.

Hajji M.
You be Andre de Giant cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:49pm On Feb 13, 2018
Androidking:
Guys I have serious question Or let me say important question
We all know that most people that design three to 4 storey building usually use kick out columns
Even when der is cantilever or not
Pls I want to ask is it actually necessary or it old style of building
What if u buried d pillar for it to flush with d wall is der any structural implication in it ??

Because I building of 3 deck and d structural ENGR buried d columns inside d walls and it was stamped and approved by LGA .

Now I saw an ENGR who is building 4 deck and he kicked out his columns but in d architectural design of the same house . d architect (me) designed it in a away all column must be buried .

Does it mean our engrs cant do wonders with structures any more. .must I kick out my columns pls I need answers and ideas. Thanks

Can you post pictures?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:51pm On Feb 13, 2018
gbadexy:

This is interesting and very possible. The main thing is to have a waterproof barrier.
Adding white cement with gypsum cement further still improves it's durability when in contact with water.

I hope people are paying attention to these things.

Nothing is impossible in building engineering.

One should get his idea to a professional to help get it actualized.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:27pm On Feb 13, 2018
Empiree:

You be Andre de Giant cool

Not that close... I am about 6ft 4ins, with arm long span... I am touching my 8ft ceilings.. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:28pm On Feb 13, 2018
mufutau55:

Not that close... I am about 6ft 4ins, with arm long span... I am touching my 8ft ceilings.. smiley

Hajji M.

Wow shocked
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 7:29pm On Feb 13, 2018
Androidking:
We all know that most people that design three to 4 storey building usually use kick out columns
What if u buried d pillar for it to flush with d wall is der any structural implication in it ??

Because I building of 3 deck and d structural ENGR buried d columns inside d walls and it was stamped and approved by LGA .

Now I saw an ENGR who is building 4 deck and he kicked out his columns but in d architectural design of the same house . d architect (me) designed it in a away all column must be buried .

Does it mean our engrs cant do wonders with structures any more. .must I kick out my columns pls I need answers and ideas. Thanks

I will start by pointing out some simple term use by you that is a bit confusing
When you say, buried columns do you mean that the column section is of the same dimension with the wall? In this case, our normal walls are 225mm thick ( 9" walls) which means the wall will also have a section of 225 x 225mm.

To the best of my understanding, the section of a column ( the size which is the width and length of the column) is governed by the magnitude of the load that the column will carry, minimum cover size ( the gap between the reinforcement and the outer surface of the column, this cover size which also depend on how long you want the column to withstand fire in the case of outbreak and also natural condition like moisture) and to some extent the hight of the column.

For a building with four suspended floors, It will be normal for the upper column to be flushed with the building because it carries a smaller load, but as the column comes down the section of the column increases where the column will need to shoot out of the walls for it to be adequate, reason why we normally have shoot columns for high rise building.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:39pm On Feb 13, 2018
Barryton:

7ft shocked U use shower or bath?

A little exaggerated but close at 6ft 4ins, with arm long span... I am touching my 8ft ceilings... smiley
I made sure my builder, Aventures, added more courses above the lintel in my Naija build... for higher headroom.
I am always aware of low Arc when I visit friend houses in Naija. (It's not easy being tall).

But to your question, I use both... you just need to fold yourself like a dead fish ni o.
Here, they won't extend headroom in your house unless you have money like the Basketball players. smiley
I will not walk under ceiling fan or chandeliers...

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 7:55pm On Feb 13, 2018
For discuss sake, sometimes last week, i was just moving around my site and came across this site..

Pic attached.

Clearly, the Engineer was filling this swamp land with laterite prior to Foundation. The foundation will be built on this filled 'imported' sand.

The problem with this is that:

-Vegetation was not removed

-Under this vegetation we have about 400-600mm depth of black muddy soil which should also have been removed.

I asked the Engineer If he could do remove the top soil (in a friendly way) but he said there's no need as time will be wasted, labour fees will also be increased and this is how they do it in Ajah where he comes from.

Engineers and Enthusiasts, What do you think? Have you adopted this method of filling and building on the sand?

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 7:56pm On Feb 13, 2018
mufutau55:

Hajji M.
you tall still
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:00pm On Feb 13, 2018
Empiree:
you tall still

My brother, I can't help it o.... it was inherited, Papa side; my kids are too.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:00pm On Feb 13, 2018
KolaShangOne:
For discuss sake, sometimes last week, i was just moving around my site and came across this site..

Pic attached.

Clearly, the Engineer was filling this swamp land with laterite prior to Foundation. The foundation will be built on this filled 'imported' sand.

-Under this vegetation we have about 400-600mm depth of black muddy soil which should also have been removed.

I asked the Engineer If he could do remove the top soil (in a friendly way) but he said there's no need as time will be wasted, labour fees will also be increased and this is how they do it in Ajah where he comes from.

Engineers and Enthusiasts, What do you think? Have you adopted this method of filling and building on the sand?

Make I come learn boss

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:04pm On Feb 13, 2018
KolaShangOne:
Pic attached.

Never seen it done like this o, but then what do I know. Ajah for real.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Surelay: 8:39pm On Feb 13, 2018
Can you help me with drawing of twins room and palour self contained with exit door at kitchen
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 8:44pm On Feb 13, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Pic attached.

wonders shall not end. The house will stand for a while but will surely settle differentially.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:47pm On Feb 13, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Pic attached.

I have seen cases where the top soil was excavated & filled with sand before foundation & it was raft foundation. Perhaps the soil test didn't emphatically specify removing the top soil before filling...& that sand in the pic look too redish for it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:58pm On Feb 13, 2018
Rubbiish:

I have seen cases where the top soil was excavated & filled with sand before foundation & it was raft foundation. Perhaps the soil test didn't emphatically specify removing the top soil before filling...& that sand in the pic look too redish for it.

ALL soil tests that I have seen even on dry land requires you to remove top soil. It is like a constant. I'm sure @EgunMogaji can remember when me and him discussed it during his build.

Also, the land shouldn't be filled before foundation walls are done. A Raft shouldn't sit on imported sand.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:06pm On Feb 13, 2018
KolaShangOne:

ALL soil tests that I have seen even on dry land requires you to remove top soil. It is like a constant. I'm sure @EgunMogaji can remember when me and him discussed it during his build.

Also, the land shouldn't be filled before foundation walls are done. A Raft shouldn't sit on imported sand.
1st bold Me too
2nd Bold the one i saw was filled before the raft & foundation walls was done.
Guess to construct your walls & foundation is the proper thing to do after excavation & not filling before construction?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:19pm On Feb 13, 2018
KolaShangOne:

I do remember that but I opted not to do it because I had a different plan. I slowly filled the foundation and let it naturally sink/settle for over a year.

Over here it’s normal to do proper groundwork first before foundation and on future build is exactly what I would do. Keyword is proper.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 9:55pm On Feb 13, 2018
mufutau55:

I am almost 7ft tall and no water on my ceilings.
POP can retain or repell water to a very extense.
There is no justification not to use POP in a bathroom.

Hajji M.

da fuq 7ft tall, hmmm baba u tall o
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:02pm On Feb 13, 2018
abdulwastecx:

Make I come learn boss

See my Oga.. grin

I dey come pay you visit tomorrow make i learn more..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:03pm On Feb 13, 2018
EgunMogaji:

I do remember that but I opted not to do it because I had a different plan. I slowly filled the foundation and let it naturally sink/settle for over a year.

Over here it’s normal to do proper groundwork first before foundation and on future build is exactly what I would do. Keyword is proper.

That's another way.

By the time you leave it for a while, all possible settlements would have occurred and you're good to go.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:23pm On Feb 13, 2018
Rubbiish:

1st bold Me too
2nd Bold the one i saw was filled before the raft & foundation walls was done.
Guess to construct your walls & foundation is the proper thing to do after excavation & not filling before construction?

Yes sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:41pm On Feb 13, 2018
mufutau55:

Never seen it done like this o, but then what do I know. Ajah for real.

Hajji M.

They do it like this very well.. Especially in that Ajah and environs. They don't have grasses there so they just sandfill straight off..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:43pm On Feb 13, 2018
gabbytabby:
Oga Chekitaut I hope you have set things up for me. Time is money so no dissappoint me oh.
No wahala ma.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:14am On Feb 14, 2018
The popular 5/8 Granite a.k.a 3/4down price will change from today now 2,400/ton
Hence 30tons to:-

Mainland @N148,000
V.I, Island, Lekki altru Ajah @N160,000

all other sizes remain the same.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:13am On Feb 14, 2018
jadell:
Good evening house, please I am trying to find out if it makes any economic and aesthetic sense to choose PVC (amoula to be precise) over POP considering the prices are almost the same.

Regards

Say no to PVC. It is a fire hazard. Try Nigerite Ikeja (nigeritelimited dot com) for your ceiling solution. If not in Lagos or Ibadan look for your local distributor.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:35am On Feb 14, 2018
KolaShangOne:

They do it like this very well.. Especially in that Ajah and environs. They don't have grasses there so they just sandfill straight off..

Oh no grass? And no problem in future with the foundation.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 1:46am On Feb 14, 2018
mufutau55:

My brother, I can't help it o.... it was inherited, Papa side; my kids are too.

Hajji M.

Enough money for the kids now through NBA
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 2:01am On Feb 14, 2018
Androidking:

Only possible at the last floor, parameter columns will still get to the roof beam. Inner columns may be lost at 4th couches or at the last decking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 2:07am On Feb 14, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Skimanski did something like that for a Nairalander at Agungi. It was sharp sand filling
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:22am On Feb 14, 2018
ice4u999:

Enough money for the kids now through NBA

I hope so o.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:04am On Feb 14, 2018
abdulwastecx:

I will start by pointing out some simple term use by you that is a bit confusing
When you say, buried columns do you mean that the column section is of the same dimension with the wall? In this case, our normal walls are 225mm thick ( 9" walls) which means the wall will also have a section of 225 x 225mm.

To the best of my understanding, the section of a column ( the size which is the width and length of the column) is governed by the magnitude of the load that the column will carry, minimum cover size ( the gap between the reinforcement and the outer surface of the column, this cover size which also depend on how long you want the column to withstand fire in the case of outbreak and also natural condition like moisture) and to some extent the hight of the column.

For a building with four suspended floors, It will be normal for the upper column to be flushed with the building because it carries a smaller load, but as the column comes down the section of the column increases where the column will need to shoot out of the walls for it to be adequate, reason why we normally have shoot columns for high rise building.

Thank you for this, I have also seen designs for buildings with 4 suspended floors where the lower floors does not have columns designed to shoot out. The column design was still rectangular, 450x225 with Y20 x 6 rods as reinforcement but designed to flush on the walls without coming out. I think it was designed that way because the building has no cantilevers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (866) (867) (868) (869) (870) (871) (872) ... (3689) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.