Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,205 members, 7,829,311 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:34 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (925) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4429095 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (922) (923) (924) (925) (926) (927) (928) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:56pm On Apr 02, 2018
Cindino20:

Wow shocked shocked Oghene!!!

Thanks Baba.

Can I use steptiles then....Will the wood work be okay for steptiles?

Funds allowed, by God's grace, I'm currently working on the ground works of my next project in Ibadan. Metcopo is NOT part of that ground works be it 0.55mm or above. The fact is metcopo is a flawed design prone to leakage. Stepstiles are more resilience, workable and fit for purpose.

You should be able to use the same wood carcass.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cindino20(m): 3:15pm On Apr 02, 2018
money121:

Maybe your woodwork is not meant for Metcopo
Becos Metcopo and Steptiles design mk use if thesame woodwork and poline spacing . But few carpenter know this..
Reason why u need to know the design u are going for before the purchase.

Metcopo and Steptiles design are okay.

Not that Longspan is not good but depend on ur budget

The woodwork is different?..but in our private discussion in the past you said that the woodwork for both of them are the same. undecided

There seems to be alot of contraditory information and I m gettin abit confused tbh undecided.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 3:23pm On Apr 02, 2018
Cindino20:

The woodwork is different?..but in our private discussion in the past you said that the woodwork for both of them are the same. undecided

Longspan is not good?...If I may ask what is the problem with longspan roofing sheet?..Cos I ve seen it been sold here on NL and the question that comes to mind is why then sell stuffs that re not good?

There seems to be alot of contraditory information and I m gettin abit confused tbh undecided.

Yes woodwork of Steptiles and Metcopo are thesame.. but woodwork of Longspan is different..
Nothing wrong with longspan design.
If your woodwork is meant for Steptiles and Metcopo and later run u can't afford it maybe base on the price u can settle down for longspan.

But if ur woodwork is meant for longspan Aluminium u can't mk use of Metcopo or Steptiles becos of the poline spacing...
Becos the poline spacing are not thesame..

Longspan poline spacing is more wider than Steptiles & Metcopo poline spacing
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 3:26pm On Apr 02, 2018
Woodwork for Longspan

Vs

Woodwork for Metcopo and Steptiles

Am sure with that pics u can see the different urself..
The poline spacing

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kenosas: 4:13pm On Apr 02, 2018
money121:

Yes woodwork of Steptiles and Metcopo are thesame.. but woodwork of Longspan is different..
Nothing wrong with longspan design.
If your woodwork is meant for Steptiles and Metcopo and later run u can't afford it maybe base on the price u can settle down for longspan.

But if ur woodwork is meant for longspan Aluminium u can't mk use of Metcopo or Steptiles becos of the poline spacing...
Becos the poline spacing are not thesame..

Longspan poline spacing is more wider than Steptiles & Metcopo poline spacing
[quote thor=Cindino20 post=66363814]Good day All,

I need informed opinions about this issue.

I m currently planning to roof my project in Benin Using 0.55mm metcopo. The prices in Benin are 1000 naira / metre more than the prices in lagos.(advertised here on nairaland). The roofing area is ca. 550 metres. thats 550k and i m now inclined to buy the roofing sheets from lagos.

my questions are

1. Whats the reason for this price disparity between the price in lagos and that in Benin.

2. for those who' ve bought theirs in Lagos....did you make payment before delivery or after delivery?

3. what re the common gimmicks to watch out for.

I ve suggested to the seller to pay upon reciept or he should organise with the bank to withhold the money until i confirm receipt.

my fears are from my experience dealing with contractors or artisans in nigeria..most recently was the paraphet contractor i met online(jijg or so)...It took pressure for my friends for him to finish the job..and the job went on for 2 more weeks more than the estimated date of delivery ...I will not even go into how the carpenter ran away with part payment and i had to pay another capernter to finish the wood work...it was horrible experience and the last thing i need now is to go through such again

thanks in anticipation for a prompt reply.

Happy Holidays!

Hi! My name is Kennedy and indigene of Bini from Edo state but residing in Finland,I Bashed into your profile and saw you asking for assistance so that you will able to get the right information and not to a vitim of any form of frudulence,I was in a stage like you my building in sapele road Benin City,when it reached the level of the roofing I almost give up even abandon the buildings because of the kind of nonsense amounts i was hearing from my engineer and others in Edo state,the least amount I heard from them was 3.5m naira just only the roofing sheet although used Gerrard roofing sheet not until I came to meet a guy from Lagos name by Ayyub,he was the person that help me out of that problem,until he sent his men there to take the quotations before I able to felt relief of the shocked of amount I was hearing.

Ayyub is a very correct guy is prices are ok and he promised and delivered.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 4:22pm On Apr 02, 2018
Cindino20:

The main difference is their spacing while you can space longspan from 600mm to 900mm for step tiles and metcoppo it must be exact at 325mm c/c. That is a major difference .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 4:55pm On Apr 02, 2018
Cindino20:

thanks for the heads up mate!.

@GoodFaith did you get the review you asked for about the roofing guy from lagos....Check PM pls

You can also link up with Ayyub he has a very strong reputation here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:02pm On Apr 02, 2018
Construction Engineering is an interesting field. A couple of things are still debatable and still arguable.
Just be sure to do what is not below the acceptable and what will stand the test of time.
In my recent build I see no reason to use a dpm all around before doing the flooring on the build but will apply it only on the lounge section because its a step down due to my daily observations.

I call this build an Eco - build because i'm using coarse sand as the main aggregate apart from sharp sand.

Clients and Roofers, if you intend using longspan or step tiles inform your carpenter before hand so you don't bad mouth someone's product..

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by degood01: 5:06pm On Apr 02, 2018
akinolaolujide:

You can also link up with Ayyub he has a very strong reputation here.

Engr Ayyub will deliver d best for u. just contact him he has done mine that is why am affirming that for u. thanks. u can also check his review on nairaland

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 5:36pm On Apr 02, 2018
bixton:
Construction Engineering is an interesting field. A couple of things are still debatable and still arguable.
Just be sure to do what is not below the acceptable and what will stand the test of time.
In my recent build I see no reason to use a dpm all around before doing the flooring on the build but will apply it only on the lounge section because its a step down due to my daily observations.

I call this build an Eco - build because i'm using coarse sand as the main aggregate apart from sharp sand.

Clients and Roofers, if you intend using longspan or step tiles inform your carpenter before hand so you don't bad mouth someone's product..

Good point

Not even ask them show them the pics of the particular roofing u are using
Becos lot of these carpenter know about longspan span woodwork..

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:54pm On Apr 02, 2018
diordaves:

Funds allowed, by God's grace, I'm currently working on the ground works of my next project in Ibadan. Metcopo is NOT part of that ground works be it 0.55mm or above. The fact is metcopo is a flawed design prone to leakage. Stepstiles are more resilience, workable and fit for purpose.

You should be able to use the same wood carcass.
Metcopo and stepstiles as no any reason to leak if you used experience installer. I did couple in last 3 years till date, no single leak.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:55pm On Apr 02, 2018
kopell:
Metcopo and stepstiles as no any reason to leak if you used experience installer. I did couple in last 3 years till date, no single leak.

What gauge weights did you use?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 02, 2018
If possible can someone please share the different profiles of standard long span that’ available in the market?

Thanks.

PS: Trying to be as close as this if possible.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:16pm On Apr 02, 2018
EgunMogaji:

What gauge weights did you use?
I always use 0.55, don’t let them sell you 0.45 or lighter for the price of other. That always the trick.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:18pm On Apr 02, 2018
kopell:
I always use 0.55, don’t let them sell you 0.45 or lighter for the price of other. That always the trick.

So that’s the issue there.

I think the ones complaining used .45
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:24pm On Apr 02, 2018
money121:
Woodwork for Longspan

Vs

Woodwork for Metcopo and Steptiles

Am sure with that pics u can see the different urself..
The poline spacing
What is the recommended purlin spacing for longspan woodwork & steptile woodwork sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 7:31pm On Apr 02, 2018
Rubbiish:

What is the recommended purlin spacing for longspan woodwork & steptile woodwork sir?

The main difference is their spacing while you can space longspan from 600mm to 900mm for step tiles and metcoppo it must be exact at 325mm c/c. That is a major difference .

But Steptiles woodwork can go with Metcopo design..

I will still repeat myself..
Longspan woodwork can't work for Steptiles or Metcopo

Bad woodwork cause 90% of leakages when come to Aluminium roofing

And for stone coated roofing is 14" and quaters
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 7:34pm On Apr 02, 2018
EgunMogaji:

So that’s the issue there.

I think the ones complaining used .45
Not really ooo bad woodwork cause that leakages guage have nothing to do with leakages.
So far ur woodwork is Perfect and the installers lay it very well I don't think leakages can occur

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:34pm On Apr 02, 2018
money121:

But Steptiles woodwork can go with Metcopo design..

I will still repeat myself..
Longspan woodwork can't work for Steptiles or Metcopo

Bad woodwork cause 90% of leakages when come to Aluminium roofing

And for stone coated roofing is 14" and quaters
Thanks sir
What if one space steptiles 300mm c/c?
Must it be 325?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 7:40pm On Apr 02, 2018
Rubbiish:

Thanks sir
Must it be 325?
What I mearnt is that it must not be more than it's very important to understand the way the carpenter take his measurements also. The measurements are centre to centre not edges very important. Stepped tiles and metcoppo have very little rooms for errors so u might be on the safe side no matter what it spacing should never be more than 325c/c
Also the slope is very important for step tiles and metcoppo it angle for safety must not be lesser than 18degree slope. Because of the multiple currygation and the roof slope.
Una doo o

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 7:41pm On Apr 02, 2018
Rubbiish:

Thanks sir
Must it be 325?

I think that still make sense.
Why all these is becos of the corrugation.. and the wood most closed so that d roofing will lap well on the woodwork...

For example if u like stone coated roofing sheet and ur carpenter construct the woodwork after u receive quotation u see that is above ur budget.

U can settle down for Longspan, Steptiles, and Metcopo
U will only need to change the ridge's part to Aluminium ridge's becos Aluminium ridge's is differ from stone coated Ridge's
But if ur Carpenter construct woodwork of Aluminium either Longspan or Metcopo.
U can't make use of stone coated but if u decide to settle for stone coated that mean u will need to add more wood and change the ridge's part to Stone coated Ridge's..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by happney65: 7:44pm On Apr 02, 2018
Cindino20:
Good day All,

I need informed opinions about this issue.

I m currently planning to roof my project in Benin Using 0.55mm metcopo. The prices in Benin are 1000 naira / metre more than the prices in lagos.(advertised here on nairaland). The roofing area is ca. 550 metres. thats 550k and i m now inclined to buy the roofing sheets from lagos.

my questions are

1. Whats the reason for this price disparity between the price in lagos and that in Benin.

2. for those who' ve bought theirs in Lagos....did you make payment before delivery or after delivery?

3. what re the common gimmicks to watch out for.

I ve suggested to the seller to pay upon reciept or he should organise with the bank to withhold the money until i confirm receipt.

my fears are from my experience dealing with contractors or artisans in nigeria..most recently was the paraphet contractor i met online(jijg or so)...It took pressure for my friends for him to finish the job..and the job went on for 2 more weeks more than the estimated date of delivery ...I will not even go into how the carpenter ran away with part payment and i had to pay another capernter to finish the wood work...it was horrible experience and the last thing i need now is to go through such again

thanks in anticipation for a prompt reply.

Happy Holidays!

I gladly recommend money121 I used his service for my Gerald roofing project and he delivered...Paid almost a Million for the Project and up till now i still havent seen how he is in flesh and blood..He is Honest,up to date..straight forward and keeps to time..He kept me in the loop during the moving of the materials to Ibadan till when i meet his installers..

He is a good Nigerian..You can go for him and i can assure you,you wont have any regret..I think he should contest for President sef..He is far better than Buhari

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 7:49pm On Apr 02, 2018
Aluminium Ridge's

Vs

Stone Coated Ridge's

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 8:03pm On Apr 02, 2018
diordaves, EgunMogaji and Rubbish, thank you for your replies with regards to the concrete flooring.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 8:03pm On Apr 02, 2018
EgunMogaji:
If possible can someone please share the different profiles of standard long span that’ available in the market?

Thanks.

PS: Trying to be as close as this if possible.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dvdami(m): 8:10pm On Apr 02, 2018
I'm sorry to derail the thread. I'd really love to work with an engineer or builder in order to gather more experience in this field.

I am academically Good but I have little experience in this field. I live around Abule Egba side of Lagos.

If you feel you can accommodate me into your team, I would be glad to add value and get value too.

Please mention me so we can take it up from there.

Many thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alsudaes1(m): 8:18pm On Apr 02, 2018
Kenosas:
cindino20

I got to know Ayyub via nairaland, I have not met him before and still hasn't.
Due to the testimonies here on nairaland, I had it in mind that I would give the roofing sheets installation job to him even before the first block on my site was moulded.

I kept to my decision after the woodwork was completed by calling him. We had discussions via voice calls and WhatsApp chats ONLY.

We reached an agreement after one of his boys took measurement of the roof, and I transferred the agreed amount to him, full payment.

He DIDN'T BETRAY the trust I had in him, within a day and half (one day for production of step tiles sheet at the factory with video evidence and half day for installation) , the job was done to the Glory of God.

As I type this and like I wrote earlier, I have not met him and still hasn't till date.

I can recommend him to anyone who is in need of roofing sheets installation.

Put your trust in God that he WILL DELIVER as he has been doing and will continue to do by God's special grace.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 02, 2018
Who in tarnation is this Ayyub and why is he not running for office? angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 8:47pm On Apr 02, 2018
EgunMogaji:
Who in tarnation is this Ayyub and why is he not running for office? angry

Money121 = Ayyub
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cindino20(m): 9:18pm On Apr 02, 2018
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cindino20(m): 9:19pm On Apr 02, 2018
@Kenosas

check pm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:23pm On Apr 02, 2018
Excellent feedback ayuub please stay on the lane

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (922) (923) (924) (925) (926) (927) (928) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.