Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,725 members, 7,844,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:01 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (943) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4462275 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (940) (941) (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) ... (3684) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 7:10pm On Apr 14, 2018
kopell:
Sypder over the year you have made tromenduce contribution to this thread form explaining through picturing. When people like you and other professionals in the house talk we listen. From your experience, which of the filling system is more affordable and durable, that can be recommended for water logged areas. Between the sharp sand and laterite filling, this question is not particular to Sypder only but can be answered by other professionals like Eng Aventure, Eng Abdulwastecx, Eng Afolabi, Architect Jude, Native doctor Egun, lol ha ha ha and many others that I can't remember their names, to please explain in full details. Most of these names has been around here for long, they are familiar with almost any terrain missioned above that's why I'm directing the question to them
By laterite do u mean red sand?
If that is the case comparing sharp sand & laterite for filling for waterlogged is not debatable because of its properties. Sharp sand is better.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 8:56pm On Apr 14, 2018
Rubbiish:

If that is the case comparing sharp sand & laterite for filling for waterlogged is not debatable because of its properties. Sharp sand is better.
is its sand, looks like red mod clay to me or what even its called. may be is better in my language oh, Amon pupa. Seriously I'm very curious that is why I asked the question. Sypder is the only one I've seen in one of his project that he used sharp sand to fill on one of his foundation here, most of the project displayed here are always using laterite in water logged area.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:59pm On Apr 14, 2018
kopell:
is its sand, looks like red mod clay to me or what even its called. may be is could be better in my language oh, Amon pupa

That should be laterite.

The issue with laterite is that it expands and contracts with moisture.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 9:03pm On Apr 14, 2018
Thank you.

A soil test was done though, the result indicates that the immediate underlying soil is made of LOOSE GREYISH FINE GRAINED SANDS followed by SOFT DARK BROWNISH PEAT.

Is compaction really all that necessary with a pile foundation? i am just wondering, given that the superstructure will be supported by piles which are connected directly to the hard rock deep down. this is why i think the filing medium will not make that much difference. there will not be significant settlement (if any) to the structure whether you use sharp sand or not. i stand to be corrected.
for a two plots of land waterlogged seriously in excess of 1m, then you could easily be talking about over a million naira difference between this two choices of filling sand.

if it were a raft foundation, then the type of filling sand takes a greater significance.

Frankgoz:

Soil has varying engineering properties which are best determined in a soil labouratory. However from practice and experience, sharp sand is more densely packed. Which is a good 'property', compacting this to maximum dry density wil yield a very good result. U wil definitely achieve a uniform consolidation and settlement.

I recommend sharp sand. Plz in no way shud you consider mixing with another sand if ur aim is to achieve a uniform settlement.

However for question (B) ........the more the coarse the more volume you require. The soil will shrink considerably after compaction

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:17pm On Apr 14, 2018
kopell:
is its sand, looks like red mod clay to me or what even its called. may be is better in my language oh, Amon pupa
Lol...It's laterite.
It expands when subjected to water, reason why it is bad for waterlogged areas.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 9:17pm On Apr 14, 2018
yes laterite is the red filling sand.
Actually i was initially referring to two types of sharp sand, but it appears not many are aware of the other type.

If you were using a pile foundation will you still use a sharp sand as against other cheaper alternatives

Rubbiish:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 9:21pm On Apr 14, 2018
Rubbiish:

Lol...It's laterite.
It expands when subjected to water, reason why it is bad for waterlogged areas.
Hunnnn, can you share more light to this
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 9:21pm On Apr 14, 2018
megacontrol:
yes laterite is the red filling sand.
Actually i was initially referring to two types of sharp sand, but it appears not many are aware of the other type.

If you were using a pile foundation will you still use a sharp sand as against other cheaper alternatives

Sharp sand is sharp sand...Just that some are more whitish due to location. But they are all sharp sand & have similar properties.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by nokia46: 10:43pm On Apr 14, 2018
to the experts in the house, i want to know if there is perfect treatment for termites?

i heard there are some kind of plants or leaves that can control them.

if anybody know any of these ways, pls share with us.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 3:07am On Apr 15, 2018
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 7:25am On Apr 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

Sharp sand is sharp sand...Just that some are more whitish due to location. But they are all sharp sand & have similar properties.
No sir Sharp sand varies and its not about colour.its ,ainly about particle sizes and bonding abilities.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 15, 2018
akinolaolujide:

No sir Sharp sand varies and its not about colour.its ,ainly about particle sizes and bonding abilities.

This is true and is what I was educated on during my build.

I'll get "this is not sharp enough" from my bricklayer grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:23am On Apr 15, 2018
kopell:
Sypder over the year you have made tromenduce contribution to this thread form explaining through picturing. When people like you and other professionals in the house talk we listen. From your experience, which of the filling system is more affordable and durable, that can be recommended for water logged areas. Between the sharp sand and laterite filling, this question is not particular to Sypder only but can be answered by other professionals like Eng Aventure, Eng Abdulwastecx, Eng Afolabi, Architect Jude, Native doctor Egun, lol ha ha ha and many others that I can't remember their names, to please explain in full details. Most of these names have been around here for long, they are familiar with almost any terrain missioned above that's why I'm directing the question to them

Sand generally are better filling sand, the sand here means soil with no cohesion. They are better because they compact readily, they don't swell or expand when they are wet and don't undergo secondary consolidation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 8:27am On Apr 15, 2018
akinolaolujide:

Sharp sand varies but it is still called sharp sand, or do u have another name for it? It sharpness which affects its colour will definitely affect its sizes. The difference in name we hear are localize name given due to its location source, but they are all sharp sand.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Temi231(f): 9:35am On Apr 15, 2018
Please oh my people that stay on Lekki phase 1,lagos, how do you purify your water for bathing and cooking?

My husband contacted a water filter company and the company told us that he will be coming to do it every week after the first installation( they have collected the sample of our house water) . Is this how it suppose to be?

Every week?for ever? Please give me an insight on how this is suppose to be done.

Thank m you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:05am On Apr 15, 2018
Temi231:
Please oh my people that stay on Lekki phase 1,lagos, how do you purify your water for bathing and cooking?

My husband contacted a water filter company and the company told us that he will be coming to do it every week after the first installation( they have collected the sample of our house water) . Is this how it suppose to be?

Every week?for ever? Please give me an insight on how this is suppose to be done.

Thank m you
Cc rotecch77
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 12:03pm On Apr 15, 2018
The main or important factor is really that one has salt content which is more corrosive to metals so odo Ogun sharp is more desirable than osa sharp but often times your location determines which one you have access to.

p
Rubbiish:

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by akinolaolujide(m): 12:23pm On Apr 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

Sharp sand varies but it is still called sharp sand, or do u have another name for it? It sharpness which affects its colour will definitely affect its sizes. The difference in name we hear are localize name given due to its location source, but they are all sharp sand.
My Oga I don't think we should overflog this matter we all agree that there are different sharp sand . What we are simply saying is that these variations have different engineering properties and usage.
Afterall tiles is tiles but we still have floor and wall tiles designed for different purpose.
What we are trying to dissuade people is fallacy of hasty generalisation.
As we all agree everything in construction has consequence. The quality of advice we give also have consequences .
I will conclude like this granite might have a general name but I have it in different sizes. For different types of engineering. Job, same for cement. Even our local gravel.
What do I know self am I not just a bloody Nigeruan Architect cheesy

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cindino20(m): 12:32pm On Apr 15, 2018
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the questions i asked about roofing.

The response i got was an eye opener and helped me in making an informed decision....

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 12:33pm On Apr 15, 2018
You have demonstrated that you actually know more than the average "Nigerian Architect". This is much better than generalizing that sharp sand is sharp sand.

This is the kind of logical and factual submissions that we need to encourage.

akinolaolujide:

My Oga I don't think we should over flog this matter we all agree that there are different sharp sand . What we are simply saying is that these variations have different engineering properties and usage.
Afterall tiles is tiles but we still have floor and wall tiles designed for different purpose.
What we are trying to dissuade people is fallacy of hasty generalization.
As we all agree everything in construction has consequence. The quality of advice we give also have consequences .
I will conclude like this granite might have a general name but I have it in different sizes. For different types of engineering. Job, same for cement. Even our local gravel.
What do I know self am I not just a bloody Nigerian Architect cheesy

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 12:37pm On Apr 15, 2018
So which locations in Lagos dredge the more desirable "Odo Ogun" sharp sand?

Which one is being dredged in Lagos Island around the Ajah, Jakande, Lekki axis?

gabbytabby:
The main or important factor is really that one has salt content which is more corrosive to metals so odo Ogun sharp is more desirable than osa sharp but often times your location determines which one you have access to.

p
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 1:03pm On Apr 15, 2018
gabbytabby:

p
The bold is just the point i am trying to make.
Thanks for educating us on the salty content.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 15, 2018
megacontrol:
You have demonstrated that you actually know more than the average "Nigerian Architect". This is much better than generalizing that sharp sand is sharp sand.

This is the kind of logical and factual submissions that we need to encourage.

I agree and I salute him.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 15, 2018
Cindino20:

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the questions i asked about roofing.

The response i got was an eye opener and helped me in making an informed decision....

Excellent, this is the positive side of this thread.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 1:35pm On Apr 15, 2018
Anything sharp sand is location, every local govt. in my place has its own sharp sand & each location will preach its own to be best. That's for newbies. But for me, i group all to be same. Apart from the colour of which some are white, all other properties are same. Particle sizes & salty content is inconsequential if u ask me. I have used all in my state & i can say they give same end results, just colour difference. So i don't give peference to any particular local govt. sharp sand.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 1:38pm On Apr 15, 2018
megacontrol:
So which locations in Lagos dredge the more desirable "Odo Ogun" sharp sand?

Which one is being dredged in Lagos Island around the Ajah, Jakande, Lekki axis?

Ask for the available one within your local goverment or neighbouring local govt. sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by snakebeat: 1:41pm On Apr 15, 2018
nokia46:
to the experts in the house, i want to know if there is perfect treatment for termites?

Which areas of your house are u having these termites?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:37pm On Apr 15, 2018
nokia46:

If you're in a termite infested area with surrounding bushes, you may have to treat your foundation or wood with chemicals periodically (say every 2 months), clear and burn surrounding bushes.

If you have just mild attack, you can use salt and water solution, solignum, ravages and other chemicals..

I don't know if any plants prevents termites.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:40pm On Apr 15, 2018
Rubbiish:

Well.. They are kind of different.

Salt content in these sands differ. The whitish ones tend to have more salt which can attack the concrete and iron rods in your foundation.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:45pm On Apr 15, 2018
Cindino20:

Quick question Sir...

Recently I found out that the price of longspan from Agen Aluminium (Benin city) is a lil bit more or about same price as that of the stone coated tiles advertised here on nairaland. e.g

0.55mm Long span at Agen is 2850 naira while stone coated advertised here on nl ranges from 2k to 2800naira....As a layman i dont quite get how an imported product (supposedly og higher quality) is cheaper or about same price as a product produced locally. if then why do people then buy longspan at such prices and not use stone coated or why do Q.S use long span when you tell them moderate finishing but the prices re about same.

is it the way they re quoted (square metres and metres)? I m just curious...Can you or anyone else please explain this?

Thanks

C.

Edit

Aside the woodwork which is much for the stonecoated any other plausible reason or am I missing something.

Glad you've done your roof now.

Most people but their aluminium from Lagos. I don't knoe why prices are usually high in the East when they buy from Lagos too. Much more information on my other thread.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 2:56pm On Apr 15, 2018
KolaShangOne:

Well.. They are kind of different.

Salt content in these sands differ. The whitish ones tend to have more salt which can attack the concrete and iron rods in your foundation.
So it isn't advisable to use white sharp sand for concrete works?
Because i do see big construction companies using it on bridges & i have always preferred it to the red like type because of its fine finish.

(1) (2) (3) ... (940) (941) (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) ... (3684) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.