Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,852 members, 7,851,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:03 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (945) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4481930 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) (948) ... (3689) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 7:10am On Apr 16, 2018
johnson232:

What they have in lagos is best classified as soft sand & not sharp sand.
I presume the salty content brings about the soft sand?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 7:10am On Apr 16, 2018
adanny01:

I know you disagree, these things are not always what they seem. It is like getting an online diagnosis for certain symptoms but nothing beats physical examination by an experienced Doctor.

Porosity is the reason sharp sand looks like it doesnt expand but infact it is most affected by water than laterite. I did permeability tests on laterite that made me sleep in the lab during my UG project. Like i said with the modification, you need to do proper compaction on the laterite and it beats sand any day any time.

Have you ever seen sand on road construction? In fact, if you meet a sand deposit on road construction you have to remove it same way you would with clay.

Think of it this way, sand allows water level to rise within it but properly compacted laterite stops water level.Water is the enemy here.
Are u suggesting laterite is more suitable for filling in waterlogged areas?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 7:20am On Apr 16, 2018
megacontrol:
Hmmm, this is an example of the concern i raised earlier about myth or individual practices being adopted over time as industry standard process/best practice without technical justification, or like in this case scientific research.

Although this is argument is difficult to accept as it completely turns everything on its head, but who are we to belittle your body of work. I actually would love to read excerpts of the report if you don't mind sharing with me privately.

I understand geology in general so i get your point on porosity and permeability.

Just to be sure,which sand do you refer to as sharp and laterite in this case?

With regards to the question, sharp sand or just sand and laterite are very different in terms of their definition and their engineering properties. Laterite should not be referred to as sand but may be suitably called soil.

The major engineering difference is in the particle size distribution with laterite having a broad distribution or particle size from clay through silt to sand while sand is generally size distribution that is coarser than silt but finer than gravel. Difference between sand and sharp sand has to do with shape of the particle rather than size with the latter being more specific to the shape.

The second engineering difference is the chemical composition which is derived from rocks it was formed from. Laterite has majorly iron and aluminum while sand is silicon and calcium.

Every definition of laterite must contain the word reddish and clayey because of its particle size which contains more clay and silt than sand.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 7:20am On Apr 16, 2018
Barryton:

Exactly.

However, if not done properly, it would lead to a disaster where the sand would have been a better option.

That is why there is no cheaper substitute for the sub base material for road construction other than laterite. It is also the cause of most road failures in Nigeria and beyond when not done properly.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 7:36am On Apr 16, 2018
adanny01:

Exactly.

However, if not done properly, it would lead to a disaster where the sand would have been a better option.

That is why there is no cheaper substitute for the sub base material for road construction other than laterite. It is also the cause of most road failures in Nigeria and beyond when not done properly.
This is why i have always maintained every contributor is important on this thread. That is the only way we can have contrary views & learn.
Thanks for sharing your findings, so many renowned engineers in this thread have always opined that laterite is a no go area for filling in water logged areas, i just hope they will come out to counter this your position so we can learn. But i still have my reservations, because my little experience with laterite shows it doesn't go well with water. How to make it compact properly in a waterlogged area is what i still don't get.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 7:51am On Apr 16, 2018
Barryton:

This is why i have always maintained every contributor is important on this thread. That is the only way we can have contrary views & learn.
Thanks for sharing your findings, so many renowned engineers in this thread have always opined that laterite is a no go area for filling in water logged areas, i just hope they will come out to counter this your position so we can learn. But i still have my reservations, because my little experience with laterite shows it doesn't go well with water. How to make it compact properly in a waterlogged area is what i still don't get.

The challenge with laterite is controlling its moisture content. So if you are filling land that is permanently flooded, then Laterite will never work since you cant control the water content before compaction

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:55am On Apr 16, 2018
adanny01:

I know you disagree, these things are not always what they seem. It is like getting an online diagnosis for certain symptoms but nothing beats physical examination by an experienced Doctor.

Porosity is the reason sharp sand looks like it doesnt expand but infact it is most affected by water than laterite. I did permeability tests on laterite that made me sleep in the lab during my UG project. Like i said with the modification, you need to do proper compaction on the laterite and it beats sand any day any time.

Have you ever seen sand on road construction?
In fact, if you meet a sand deposit on road construction you have to remove it same way you would with clay.

Think of it this way, sand allows water level to rise within it but properly compacted laterite stops water level.Water is the enemy here.

I was there during the construction of the East-West road. But not disagreeing with some of your other points which are similar to the submission I made earlier on the matter.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Barryton: 7:56am On Apr 16, 2018
adanny01:

The challenge with laterite is controlling its moisture content. So if you are filling land that is permanently flooded, then Laterite will never work since you cant control the water content before compaction
Okay clear now.
Sharp sand is still better for filling waterlogged land, because of inability to control laterite water content before compaction?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 8:19am On Apr 16, 2018
spyder880:

I was there during the construction of the East-West road. But not disagreeing with some of your other points which are similar to the submission I made earlier on the matter.

Looks can be deceiving. I am very sure that they will not be dredging river sand and applying for sub base. The key is 1st and foremost the particle size distribution, this will show if the soil is cohesive or not. Then other test will confirm the suitability.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 8:31am On Apr 16, 2018
wow!
Great here
The current lekki project we probably wanna use sharp sand instead of using laterite cos of its moisture content, "prevention is better than cure" instead of struggling to control the Moisture Content.

I think it's better to use sharp sand,my advice tho

#cornerstone
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 9:38am On Apr 16, 2018
adanny01:

With regards to the question, sharp sand or just sand and laterite are very different in terms of their definition and their engineering properties. Laterite should not be referred to as sand but may be suitably called soil.

The major engineering difference is in the particle size distribution with laterite having a broad distribution or particle size from clay through silt to sand while sand is generally size distribution that is coarser than silt but finer than gravel. Difference between sand and sharp sand has to do with shape of the particle rather than size with the latter being more specific to the shape.

The second engineering difference is the chemical composition which is derived from rocks it was formed from. Laterite has majorly iron and aluminum while sand is silicon and calcium.

Every definition of laterite must contain the word reddish and clayey because of its particle size which contains more clay and silt than sand.
Interesting loving it, this is the reason I throw the question to professional in the house. For the other guy that was asking for explanation in private, pls let make every opinion or explanation public in other to give many that may have similar questions opportunities to learn. Thanks you guys for taking time out to explain.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 10:30am On Apr 16, 2018
Barryton:

Okay clear now.
Sharp sand is still better for filling waterlogged land, because of inability to control laterite water content before compaction?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rubbiish(m): 11:37am On Apr 16, 2018
kopell:
Interesting loving it, this is the reason I throw the question to professional in the house. For the other guy that was asking for explanation in private, pls let make every opinion or explanation public in other to give many that may have similar questions opportunities to learn. Thanks you guys for taking time out to explain.
@first bold; endeavor to throw more questions, that is what we need here.
@second bold; Very true.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:11pm On Apr 16, 2018
@Mr CofOlandOfpeace long time, where’re you been. Any latest information, procedure or cost change in applying to collect C of O in Lagos and Ogun State.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ubox: 1:27pm On Apr 16, 2018
You dream it, we design and build it
For your building design needs and 3D visualization needs, contact uboks.nyah@yahoo.com today's let's work together to bring your project to reality
https://www.nairaland.com/3696405/contemporary-moderate-building-designs#54818903

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:31pm On Apr 16, 2018
Hello house
You guys are doing great work here, kudos to all members.
Pls how many 6inches block can i get from a 10tons trip of sand?
I will gladly appreciate your response.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:50pm On Apr 16, 2018
who has an idea how much a sqm of this tile cost? i see it around alot..

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Walins: 2:04pm On Apr 16, 2018
bixton:

You will have to find out the price in your area but in my area its a bag at #700.
Types of aggregate material determines the mix and preferred number.

On a general note (foundation stage/ sub-structure))
6" blocks(solid/hollow)------------30/35 blocks
9" blocks (solid/hollow)----------20/25 blocks

You can increase the number by +5 afterwards for after foundation stage.

what abt sand in delta
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 2:13pm On Apr 16, 2018
Barryton:

Laterite is not a good filling sand to build on but a good filling sand to fill the box of Raft foundation and not Block foundation in a waterlog terrain.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 2:16pm On Apr 16, 2018
skelefish:
Hello house You guys are doing great work here, kudos to all members. Pls how many 6inches block can i get from a 10tons trip of sand? I will gladly appreciate your response.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 2:19pm On Apr 16, 2018
The tiles is called Carrara white,
Spanish price range for 60x60 real porcelain 5000-6000
Nigeria version 40x40 size N1600
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 2:32pm On Apr 16, 2018
Dominionng:

You did a full wall tiles before POP ceiling and your installer didn't crack the tiles before he installed the ceiling? i.e the ceiling was tied to the noggin alone without the wall? Kindly keep his contact for you will need him for repairs. This is not a drill sir.
why will any reasonable person want to install tiles before POP it is not logical
I will install my kitchen wall cabinet before I install my tiles
But the floor tiles will be done before I install cabinet on the ground

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:57pm On Apr 16, 2018
rotecch77:
The tiles is called Carrara white,
Spanish price range for 60x60 real porcelain 5000-6000
Nigeria version 40x40 size N1600

nigeria version sef dey? is it of good quality?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 16, 2018
I would like to ask a question.. this goes to those fixing POP in their houses. does the whole POP come before fixing tiles, if so, how do you start fixing tiles on the wall where the POP connects as in my understanding, it may be a bit of a not so clean job when you have the edges of the wall tiles pop out because it doesnt lap well with the POP.. How does that work can someone explain to me?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:07pm On Apr 16, 2018
Chekitaut:
Thank u very much sir!!!
U have any about that for 9inches & 6inches solid per 10tons?
Thanks alot Chekitaut, i really appreciate.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:10pm On Apr 16, 2018
GoodFaith:

why will any reasonable person want to install tiles before POP it is not logical
I will install my kitchen wall cabinet before I install my tiles
But the floor tiles will be done before I install cabinet on the ground
i.e in order;
kitchen wall cabinet
Floor tiles
Ground cabinet
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 16, 2018
aonag:
I would like to ask a question.. this goes to those fixing POP in their houses. does the whole POP come before fixing tiles, if so, how do you start fixing tiles on the wall where the POP connects as in my understanding, it may be a bit of a not so clean job when you have the edges of the wall tiles pop out because it doesnt lap well with the POP.. How does that work can someone explain to me?

It is measurement, same way they measure tiles to lap with pvc or ceiling board.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 3:19pm On Apr 16, 2018
skelefish:

Thank u very much sir!!!
U have any about that for 9inches & 6inches solid per 10tons?
Thanks alot Chekitaut, i really appreciate.
A complete 10tons will produce 9" 500blocks & 6" 700blocks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:21pm On Apr 16, 2018
skelefish:

It is measurement, same way they measure tiles to lap with pvc or ceiling board.
so basically its measured and then pop is fixed and comes wall tiles right?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:21pm On Apr 16, 2018
Chekitaut:
A complete 10tons will produce 9" 500blocks & 6" 700blocks
Does it produce same number of blocks for 6inches solid & hollow?
Thanks alot.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 16, 2018
aonag:

so basically its measured and then pop is fixed and comes wall tiles right?
The topmost tile under the POP cornice is properly measured not to leave any gap between the cornice & tiles.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 3:24pm On Apr 16, 2018
skelefish:
Does it produce same number of blocks for 6inches solid & hollow? Thanks alot.
am only familiar with hollow blocks

(1) (2) (3) ... (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) (948) ... (3689) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Godisgreatest1, bolu1986(m), nwigwemark, supaflex, joetoocute and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.