Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,330 members, 7,819,134 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

South South Region Guide  - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South South Region Guide  (4401 Views)

Which Ethnic Group Is The in Majority South South Region / Igbo Speaking In South South Region, Know Where You Belong. / We Are All Biafrans, Insist Youth Leaders Of South South Region (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South South Region Guide  by mcvaeey(m): 5:17am On Aug 25, 2015
The South South region of Nigeria comprises of six states and is strategically located at the point where the Y tail of the river Niger joins the Atlantic Ocean through the Gulf of Guinea. Though a relatively small stretch of land, the south of the country provides the economic mainstay of the economy: oil. In addition to oil and gas, the region equally contributes other key resources, with potential huge investment opportunities in tourism and agriculture.

Akwa-Ibom State - Promised Land

Akwa-Ibom is located in the coastal part of the country, with an area of 7,081km2 and a population of almost five million. The state shares boundaries with Cross River State, Rivers State, Abia State and the Atlantic Ocean, with Uyo the capital city. The main languages in the state are Ibibio, Annang, Eket, and Oron. Akwa-Ibom has a rich historical and cultural heritage with major attractions like the Ibeno Sand Beach, Oron Museum, Mary Slessor House and monument tomb.

Akwa-Ibom State is the third largest producer of crude oil in the country and is endowed with various resources such as natural gas, salt, silver nitrate, limestone, clay, coal, and glass sand.  

Bayelsa State - Pride of the Nation

Bayelsa is located in the lower southern part of the Niger Delta region, and its capital is Yenagoa. This state is blessed with many historical attractions, like the Slave Transit Hall and cultural festivals (Ekpetiama Okelede new yam festival, Odemimon festival, Otuoke and others), and houses a population of two million people occupying an area of 10,773km2. There are 10 languages spoken in the state; of these, Izon, Nembe, Ogbia and Epie-Atissa are the most predominant.

Bayelsa State, a major oil and gas producing area, accounts for over 30% of Nigeria’s oil production and is also renowned for fishing, farming, trading, carving and weaving. With the majority of the state under sea level, over three quarters of the area is covered by water and consists of a maze of meandering creeks and mangrove swamps. In addition, Bayelsa has large reserves of clay, sand and gravel which are of utmost importance to the industrial sector. 

Cross River State - The People’s Paradise

Calabar is the capital city of Cross River State. Being a coastal state, it shares boundaries with Benue State to the west, Abia State to the south and the Atlantic Ocean to the east. The major languages spoken in Cross River State are Ejagham and Efik. 

Cross River State is home to some of Nigeria’s most beautiful scenery. Over half the land is covered by tropical rain forests, making it one of the world's biodiversity hotspots. The state is also blessed with natural resources like oil and gas, limestone, kaolin, clay, salt, barite and quartzite. 

Delta State - The Big Heart

Delta State has Asaba as its capital and is made up of 25 local government areas. There are various solid mineral deposits in the state which include crude oil, industrial clay, silica, lignite, kaolin, tar sand, decorative rocks and limestone, with many serving as raw materials for industries 

Some major tourist attractions include Nana's Palace, Koko, Asaba Beach, Abraka River Resort Motel and River Ethiope. There are also traditional festivals in every community; the Ishe Festival for peace and progress in Ewulu town, the Edjenu of the Agbarha Clan which takes place only once or twice in a lifetime and the Oki Masquerade of Torugbene.

Edo State - Heartbeat of Nigeria

Benin City is the capital of Edo State. The state is endowed for its abundant natural resources of crude oil, clay, chalk, marble, natural gas and limestone. Edo is home to several ethnicities with 18 local government areas. There are many tourist attractions in the state: Oba's Palace in Benin City, Ramat Park, Sakpoba Holiday Resort, the Emotan statue in Benin City, Ise Lake and River Niger Beach in Agenebode, among others.  

There are over 100 major festivals celebrated in Edo State between September and March annually. 

Rivers State - Treasure Base of the Nation

Port Harcourt is a cosmopolitan city and capital of Rivers State, which makes it the second largest commercial centre in Nigeria. Rivers State boasts a diverse ethnic population of over six million people and occupies an area of 11,077km2. The major languages are Ijaw and Ikwerre, although 23 languages are spoken altogether.

Rivers State accounts for over 40% of Nigeria's crude oil production and food production - no wonder it's called the 'treasure base of the nation'. In addition, there are two major refineries and seaports in Rivers state, with various industries spread across it.
Re: South South Region Guide  by HungerBAD: 5:19am On Aug 25, 2015
These are the States Biafra will do anything to lay their hands on.

Not happening. Never going to happen. Will never happen.

They should look for their own Golden Geese, to lay their own Golden Eggs.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South Region Guide  by HopeAtHand: 5:48am On Aug 25, 2015
Op, Rivers state languages should be broken down..there is nothing like Ijaw being spoken in Rivers..Kalabari, Okrika, Ibani, are Ijoid but not Ijaw..Obolo language is Akwa-Cross..Ogoni language must be Included as Ogoni is also a major ethnic group in Rivers.Ekpeye, Ogba and Abua are also spoken by a handful of Riverian..Igbo is spoken in Oyigbo, Egbema in Onelga and parts of Etche.

IKWERRE is the language spoken by the IKWERRE tribe, which is the dominant tribe in Rivers state.

1 Like

Re: South South Region Guide  by OfoIgbo: 6:16am On Aug 25, 2015
The three most widely spoken language groups in Rivers state are Igboid, Ijoid and Ogoni.

The Igboid languages include Ikwerre, Ogba, Egbema, Ekpeye, omuma, Ndoni, Obigbo, Opobo and Bonny Igbo speakers e.t.c
The Ijoid languages include Wakrike, Kalabari, Andoni, Opobo and Bonny Ibani speakers e.t.c

I also noticed that the writer made no mention of languages spoken in Delta state, almost as though there is an attempt not to mention Aniomas, or perhaps because the current Anioma governor of Delta state mixed with his brother governors from the SE a few days ago at a security summit

5 Likes

Re: South South Region Guide  by HopeAtHand: 6:26am On Aug 25, 2015
OfoIgbo:
The three most widely spoken language groups in Rivers state are Igboid, Ijoid and Ogoni.

The Igboid languages include Etche, Ogba, Egbema, Ekpeye, omuma, Ndoni, Oyigbo, Opobo and Bonny Igbo speakers e.t.c
The Ijoid languages include Wakrike, Engenni, Kalabari, Degema, Andoni(Obolo), Opobo, Nkoroo and Bonny Ibani speakers e.t.c

Re: South South Region Guide  by zuchyblink(m): 6:34am On Aug 25, 2015
A yoruba man dying for and drinking panadol for south south's headache

6 Likes

Re: South South Region Guide  by zuchyblink(m): 6:36am On Aug 25, 2015
A yoruba man dying for and drinking panadol for south south's headache.south south exist only in Nigeria because it is just a political zone,cross rivers is more south east than Anambra.
The days of divide and rule are gone.the zoo cannot steal our brothers because they are oil rich.

6 Likes

Re: South South Region Guide  by Iykopee(m): 7:02am On Aug 25, 2015
zuchyblink:
A yoruba man dying for and drinking panadol for south south's headache.south south exist only in Nigeria because it is just a political zone,cross rivers is more south east than Anambra.
The days of divide and rule are gone.the zoo cannot steal our brothers because they are oil rich.

^^^^ My brother them no get hand work. A sensible person is expected to understand that, days of divide and rule are gone forever unlike in the past years whereby knowledge isn't widespread, now the issues have changed completely.

4 Likes

Re: South South Region Guide  by mcvaeey(m): 7:43am On Aug 25, 2015
zuchyblink:
I pity you. Inferiority complex is your problem. That's why you'll die thinking of yoruba on your sleep. Anyone who doesn't support your fraud of a country has automatically become yoruba? yet you claim you're wise. That's why your life is the way it is. I'm a proud Edo boy. A true son of the south south and Niger delta. Bloody lagoon candidate. Tribe of Criminals and bloody losers of the civil war.
Re: South South Region Guide  by pazienza(m): 8:09am On Aug 25, 2015
[quote author=HopeAtHand post=37305221][/quote]

I even have a better name, as neither Oyigbo or Obigbo is the name of the ethnic group.

Asa- Igbo and Ndoki-Igbo will suffice. wink

2 Likes

Re: South South Region Guide  by melzabull(f): 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2015
sweetlemon
Re: South South Region Guide  by Sweetlemon(f): 12:31pm On Aug 25, 2015
Keep up the good work dear.
Make who no like am go jump for Lagoon.

Proudly South South
NaijaForLyf!

1 Like

Re: South South Region Guide  by yorubatic: 12:34pm On Aug 25, 2015
I dont know why my people keeps disgracing themselves in this Nigeria? We have become too cowardly in this nigeria. We are now clowns, ibos have become our nightmare, that we even see ibo giants in our dreams...

My people has turn the sophisticated odua nation to laughing stock...they have shown the world that they are weaklings and O'yes to the Hausa / Fulani muslims. ..it is shame that my sophisticated and progressive people are a bunch of confused people who have no aspiration whatsoever. ..

It seems musiwa and I are the only brave people among our kins. ...musiwa want a western nigeria and I want a sophisticated and progressive Odu'a. ..but my coward folks want to keep being slaves to their Hausa / Fulani masters. ..

Let us that agitating for odua republic where there be no ibos, where lagos will not be no man's land...yorubas wake up. ...we can't remain cowards

My people should stop behaving like clowns ....only God can deliver my people
Re: South South Region Guide  by yorubatic: 12:40pm On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
I pity you. Inferiority complex is your problem. That's why you'll die thinking of yoruba on your sleep. Anyone who doesn't support your fraud of a country has automatically become yoruba? yet you claim you're wise. That's why your life is the way it is. I'm a proud Edo boy. A true son of the south south and Niger delta. Bloody lagoon candidate. Tribe of Criminals and bloody losers of the civil war.

Why not start agitating for Edo republic, just I am fighting for odua republic. ...can't you live without others? Are Edos clowns who can't govern themselves? If you are a not coward and weakling, start agitating for Edo republic. ...bunch of clowns in Nigeria

Stop disgracing the yoruba nation. ..ibos have mistaken for yoruba many times...I rather ypu focus your agitation on Edo only...dunce who doesn't know whom he is
Re: South South Region Guide  by mcvaeey(m): 12:44pm On Aug 25, 2015
yorubatic:

Why not start agitating for Edo republic, just I am fighting for odua republic. ...can't you live without others? Are Edos clowns who can't govern themselves? If you are a not coward and weakling, start agitating for Edo republic. ...bunch of clowns in Nigeria

Stop disgracing the yoruba nation. ..ibos have mistaken for yoruba many times...I rather ypu focus your agitation on Edo only...dunce who doesn't know whom he is
hahahaha. Busted. I see. You're an igbo fool under a yoruba moniker. Now I see. No wonder you've been trying to force me to agree to be yoruba. See criminal. Criminality runs in your DNA and that of all igbos. See who's calling someone a dunce. At least I'm better than you cos your birth certificate is an apology from a condom factory.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News!!! Buhari's Ministers And Their Respective Portfolios. / BREAKING NEWS: Jimoh Vs Jegede: S’court Halts Appeal Court As Ibrahim Wins Again / Who Says There Is Hardship In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.