Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,776 members, 7,820,715 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. (4544 Views)

Poll: EPL: Kills or Makes them?

Kills: 50% (8 votes)
Makes: 50% (8 votes)
This poll has ended

Top 10 Highest Paid Female Soccer Stars Of 2015 / Faith And Football: Soccer Stars Who Are Devout Christians / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by jalether(m): 1:44pm On May 03, 2009
@ poster, the question should ve been, does EPL destroy the technical ability of nigerian players

and you would ve gotten a loud yes, EPL is to tactical i.e long balls, running around the pitch like

a mad man, ofcourse with few exceptions such as asrenal n man utd.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by Tranngirls(f): 9:30am On May 04, 2009
DIFFERENT PLAYERS HAVE DIFFERENT STYLE OF PLAY, FOR A FLAIR PLAYER EPL WILL NOT DO YOU WELL ESPECIALLY WHEN THE PLAYER IS YOUNG, SO LIKE MIKEL HAS LOST HAS FLAIR AND ATTACKING ABILITY BECAUSE HE IS PLAYING OUT OF POSITION FOR A LONG TIME. WE CAN SEND OUR DEFENDERS AND DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDERS THERE OUR YOUNG ATTACKING PLAYERS SHOULDNT GO THERE THAT IS MY TAKE ON IT, TO DEVELOP THEIR FLAIR SKILLS
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by honeric01(m): 8:06pm On May 04, 2009
Lets use the english national team as an example. Most of them play at home,  Now compare how many laurels they have won, how many skillful and creative players they have.  If you were born a good dribbler, once you step into the epl, you start fading because they don't believe in anything beautiful when it comes to football.  I rest my case with this statement that the epl is for people who only enjoys bunch of 22 players running around the field like a mad cow kicking the poor ball from anypart of the field towards goal post.   Creativity?? Look elsewhere.  J.J was already a good player before moving to epl, he played better while in germany and turkey, Ask oliver kahn. And he was a small god while playing in turkey. Kanu got most of his achievements outside the epl with ajax, the champions league with ajax covers the rest of the baby trophies he won in the epl.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by honeric01(m): 8:06pm On May 04, 2009
Lets use the english national team as an example. Most of them play at home, Now compare how many laurels they have won, how many skillfully and creative players they have. If you were born a good dribbler, once you step into the epl, you start fading because they don't believe in anything beautiful when it comes to football. I rest my case with this statement that the epl is for people who only enjoys bunch of 22 players running around the field like a mad cow kicking the poor ball from anypart of the field towards goal post. Creativity?? Look elsewhere. J.J was already a good player before moving to epl, he played better while in germany and turkey, Ask oliver kahn. And he was a small god while playing in turkey. Kanu got most of his achievements outside the epl with ajax, the champions league with ajax covers the rest of the baby trophies he won in the epl.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by honeric01(m): 8:10pm On May 04, 2009
Lets use the english national team as an example. Most of them play at home, Now compare how many laurels they have won, how many skillfully and creative players they have. If you were born a good dribbler, once you step into the epl, you start fading because they don't believe in anything beautiful when it comes to football. I rest my case with this statement that the epl is for people who only enjoys bunch of 22 players running around the field like a mad cow kicking the poor ball from anypart of the field towards goal post. Creativity?? Look elsewhere. J.J was already a good player before moving to epl, he played better while in germany and turkey, Ask oliver kahn. And he was a small god while playing in turkey. Kanu got most of his achievements outside the epl with ajax, the champions league with ajax covers the rest of the baby trophies he won in the epl.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by PurestBoy(m): 3:10pm On May 05, 2009
EPL is a strong competition and what do you expect from the Nigerian dude?
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by chidyke77(m): 7:01pm On Jan 26, 2010
I quite agree totally that EPL is killing our game coz when we hv majority of our players in other leagues they do perform better. Just take a look at ths nations cup and see for urself,d fast pace of football in EPL is nt favourable to our players and i wish we hv more of our players in La liga,serie A and dutch league. The weather in England is also affecting them wheneva they are playing in hotter climate and couple wt our usual age cheat. I knw definitely that majority of our SE players are above thirtees where those like Kanu,yakubu may be hitting forty and above.
The only remedy to ths is to start frm d grassroot and build a formidable team that wl play wt their heart. Those EPL players are always d worst we hv coz d plays wt much ego may be d thot they are d big boys and must always be invited and ths calls my attention to d reason why Amodu doesnt visits other leagues to search for unidentify talents dat are negleted waiting for call up or invited.
For us to make an impact in d world cup we need to introduce some local and foreign players that wl play wt determination to make a name for themselves.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by MrTA(m): 7:47pm On Jan 26, 2010
Yeah, its very good for us to find other people to blame as the reason why our players are doing poor. So what about the other awful players in the squad who dont play in the premier league? I bet its because they watch the premier league on TV?

Pathetic, this kind of thinking is what will never allow us move forward.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by chidyke77(m): 8:30pm On Jan 26, 2010
If ur used to kick and run play type of EPL,u hardly cope playing dat in hotter climates bcoz of exhaustation and when u play a slow game u then get disorganised. Africans in hotter climates dnt play kick and run football and thats what Egypt forced cameroon to do and they eventually lost d game. Look at d spanish and d brazilians hw they play and thats hw we used to play during d era of olisehs and okochas.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by MrTA(m): 8:37pm On Jan 26, 2010
Yeah, sure that's the real reason our national team is crap.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by honeric01(m): 9:59pm On Jan 26, 2010
Yes and it has destroyed anything skills in our players.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by MrTA(m): 10:52pm On Jan 26, 2010
Of course it has.

it hasnt destroyed the skills in the other premier league players like Cristiano Ronaldo who was there for 6 years he became best player in the world and went to madrid.

I wonder why it hasnt stopped Essien from being one of the best midfielders in the world.

It also destroyed Obasi's skills, Odemwingie,Nsofor,Ayila,Taiwo, and all the others players who play in other foreign leagues.

It is also the reason Amodu is crap and the reason the NFA are hopeless. Also its the reason for the fuel scarcity in Nigeria.

is there anything else we can blame the English premier league for. If so please add on.

its better we put our heads in the sand and believe the reason our team is crap is due to the English premier league and if not for them we would be winning the world cup every 4 years.

Morons.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by honeric01(m): 9:33am On Jan 27, 2010
Lol see slowpoke calling others morons, we are talking about Nigerian players, he's bringing in other countries, Mikel of 2005 is not Mikel of Today, Yobo of the early 2000s is not the yobo of today, Yakubu of 2005s is not the Yakubu of today, they are dying day by day because they hardly work hard again. when it comes to skills, they lack it.

Mind you, C. Ronaldo was determined to be who he's now, even after general training, he still made sure he went on with his own personal training.

Anyways, as per skills, EPL has killed our players.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by MrTA(m): 10:44am On Jan 27, 2010
So its only killing those players because those players are special? Why is it not killing the other non Nigerian players?

I noticed you ignored the other players i mentioned like Obasi, Odemwingie,Nsofor,Ayila,Taiwo.

Continue to put your head in the sand and blame the EPL.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by honeric01(m): 10:57am On Jan 27, 2010
You seems not to know what you are talking about, Odemwingie's in his peak now, he's been good since his time in Lille and as you can see, he's improved alot even now that he plays in the Russian league

Obasi's been banging in goals in Germany, He's a good player but he's not consistent (his natural problem), he was in lyn Oslo before moving outta there. you can't tell me he has not improved club-wise.

When it comes to club game, Ayila has been good and even in the National team, he's still good, he's not a player who requires dribbling skills because he's naturally slow and the pos he plays does not really require skills from him. what is required from him is toughness, ability to tackle and to always clear out dangers (he's not lacking or is he?)

Nsofor was in Italy (was on and off), but he's on fire now that he's playing in Spain (Malaga), sometimes they don't play well as a SE player due to their (bigman) problem, but club-wise, they have improved.

Since you hardly watch Taiwo (club), i don't have to debate this, since he moved to France (Marseille), he's turned to a regular starter and a part % parcel of the Marseille's army.

All these players you mentioned play first team football in their clubs, can you say that of their counterpart in the EPL?
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by MrTA(m): 2:03pm On Jan 27, 2010
Ahh, I was waiting for that post which told me exactly what i wanted to hear. Particularly your point about Taiwo.

All the evidence which points to the fact that you do not know what what you are on about.

i think i'll leave you to enjoy keeping our head in the sand.

Feel free to blame all the failings on the premier league.
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by eldee(m): 2:08pm On Jan 27, 2010
Mr_TA:

Of course it has.

it hasnt destroyed the skills in the other premier league players like Cristiano Ronaldo who was there for 6 years he became best player in the world and went to madrid.

I wonder why it hasnt stopped Essien from being one of the best midfielders in the world.

It also destroyed Obasi's skills, Odemwingie,Nsofor,Ayila,Taiwo, and all the others players who play in other foreign leagues.

It is also the reason Amodu is crap and the reason the NFA are hopeless. Also its the reason for the fuel scarcity in Nigeria.

is there anything else we can blame the English premier league for. If so please add on.

its better we put our heads in the sand and believe the reason our team is crap is due to the English premier league and if not for them we would be winning the world cup every 4 years.

Morons.

The juju in the EPL only works for Nigerian players.
It doesn't affect Ivorian players like Eboue, Toure, and Drogba. . . infact Song and Kalou have a remedy to the jazz. grin grin

Are you trying to argue, some people are incapable of thinking straight.
They're praising people for being starters in Norway and Germany and comparing it to the cutthroat competition in the EPL.
In a league where players like Santa Cruz, Nani and Deco are bench players, where will Obasi find a shirt??
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by MrTA(m): 2:20pm On Jan 27, 2010
You know us Nigerians. Its easier to blame someone else for our problems rather than face the truth. cheesy
Re: Does The English Premier League Kill Nigerian Soccer Stars Or Make Them. by honeric01(m): 9:48am On Jan 28, 2010
Mr_TA:

Ahh, I was waiting for that post which told me exactly what i wanted to hear. Particularly your point about Taiwo.

All the evidence which points to the fact that you do not know what what you are on about.

i think i'll leave you to enjoy keeping our head in the sand.

Feel free to blame all the failings on the premier league.

I caught you dumbfounded, you didn't know what else to say, you had to chicken out. sorry o tongue tongue tongue tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Often Do You Watch Nigeria Premier League? / Nigeria Defeats Burkina Faso 3-0 (WAFU U20 Women's Championships). / England Vs Croatia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.