Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,666 members, 7,816,729 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 (1788 Views)

7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / 10 Reasons Why Every Believer Must Speak In Tongues / 5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2015
Need you guys to help me understand this because I was in a church some weeks past where the pastor said ''its speaking in tongue time''. We must all speak in tongue. I looked at myself and wondered what they meant by that. while they were speaking in tongue, I was reading 1 Corinthians 14 vs 2 to 5.

2. For he (not ALL but he) that speak in an unknown tongue speak not unto men, but unto God: for no man understand him; howbeit in the spirit he speak mysteries.

3. But he that prophesieth speak unto men to edification, and exhortation, and and comfort.

4. He that speak in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; buthe that prophesieth edifieth the church.

5. I would that you all spake with tongues, but rather that you prophesieth: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may recieve edifying.

Just help me shield more light to this bible version.....thank you!

1 Like

Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by jeremiah505(m): 12:31pm On Aug 25, 2015
I too... Have came across that segment in churches where everyone is asked to speak in tongue...

Pastors in the House... We need illumination...
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by kestolove95(m): 12:45pm On Aug 25, 2015
D worst tin self is dat...u don't even knw wat u sayin wen u speak in tongue...dats anoda religion scam...I'v never seen a white speak in tongu o..
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 12:49pm On Aug 25, 2015
You don't need pastors in the house to tell you what to do. If you find a scripture you don't understand, the holy spirit is your guide. He will help as long as you ask him.

I've been thrashing this issue with fellow believers. In case you're interested, kindly see the link: https://www.nairaland.com/2546898/setting-record-straight-speaking-tongues

Bottomline is not everybody speaks in tongues. Though we should desire the best gifts as paul advised sha...
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Jeromejnr(m): 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Need you guys to help me understand this because I was in a church some weeks past where the pastor said ''its speaking in tongue time''. We must all speak in tongue. I looked at myself and wondered what they meant by that. while they were speaking in tongue, I was reading 1 Corinthians 14 vs 2 to 5.

2. For he (not ALL but he) that speak in an unknown tongue speak not unto men, but unto God: for no man understand him; howbeit in the spirit he speak mysteries.

3. But he that prophesieth speak unto men to edification, and exhortation, and and comfort.

4. He that speak in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; buthe that prophesieth edifieth the church.

5. I would that you all spake with tongues, but rather that you prophesieth: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may recieve edifying.

Just help me shield more light to this bible version.....thank you!

Madam! There is a difference between the gift of speaking in toungues and interpretation of toungues for ministering to others and the toungues for praying to God privately which is gotten form the baptism of the Holy Spirit?

Not all have the toungues gift for the ministry but all are expected to have the private toungues prayer language.

I have seen where ppl used the tongues for ministry to minster to someone in their own dialect and the person speaking never at anytime learnt that dialect. It happens as the Spirit wills. No one can just make it function. That was why that same scripture says the gift is a sign to unbelievers.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by CaptainJune: 1:12pm On Aug 25, 2015
I really dislike it when Pastors or spiritual leaders 'pressure' their members to speak in tongues. It is not forced. Such practice is unscriptural. The Spirit of God has to initiate it otherwise you are speaking gibberish.

Many have testified to receiving the gift of tongues where the first time when they spoke the heavenly language, they mustered all their energy to stop its flow, not really understanding why they were speaking it, but this proved abortive because the language kept flowing independent of their will. Some even go as far as shutting their mouths only to discover their efforts are

If it doesn't come naturally through supernatural means, if you don't speak it as words flow from your lips of their own accord, then don't force it. If you do, then you may be speaking anything but tongues.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Jeromejnr(m): 1:16pm On Aug 25, 2015
CaptainJune:
I really dislike it when Pastors or spiritual leaders 'pressure' their members to speak in tongues. It is not forced. Such practice unscriptural. The Spirit of God has to initiate it otherwise you are speaking gibberish.

Many have testified to receiving the gift of tongues where the first time when they spoke the heavenly language, they mustered all their energy to stop its flow, not really understanding why they were speaking it, but this proved abortive because the language kept flowing independent of their will. Some even go as far as shutting their mouths only to discover their efforts are

If it doesn't come naturally through supernatural means, if you don't speak it as words flow from your lips of their own accord, then don't force it. If you do, then you may be speaking anything but tongues.

True I agree with you with the pastors forcing it issue.

But the Spirit of God does not initiate it, you have to start by faith. (That is when you've already received it tho).

I remember my own experience that is why I say this.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 1:19pm On Aug 25, 2015
Please where can I find holy spirit to help me with this

Jeromejnr:

Madam! There is a difference between the gift of speaking in toungues and interpretation of toungues for ministering to others and the toungues for praying to God privately which is gotten form the baptism of the Holy Spirit?

Not all have the toungues gift for the ministry but all are expected to have the private toungues prayer language.

I have seen where ppl used the tongues for ministry to minster to someone in their own dialect and the person speaking never at anytime learnt that dialect. It happens as the Spirit wills. No one can just make it function. That was why that same scripture says the gift is a sign to unbelievers.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 1:21pm On Aug 25, 2015
I really dont understand it. Yes! speaking is a gift but must we all have that gift? what about a situation where a pastor have to forcefully tap your mouth to speak in tongue? I've experienced it before!
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by taiwo850629: 1:24pm On Aug 25, 2015
Op, the answer to your question is simple; it is found in Jesus' words in Mark 16:17. Mark 16:17- And these signs will follow THOSE (not part, but all those) who believe; in my name they will cast out demons; they will SPEAK with new TONGUES. With the support of this bible verse, I say all Christians should speak in tongues. I mean it was Jesus himself who said these words, how clearer can it get?
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by asumo12: 1:24pm On Aug 25, 2015
Lizabeth25:
I really dont understand it. Yes! speaking is a gift but must we all have that gift? what about a situation where a pastor have to forcefully tap your mouth to speak in tongue? I've experienced it before!

How was the experienced like.?

wink
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Jeromejnr(m): 1:24pm On Aug 25, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Please where can I find holy spirit to help me with this

1. You have to go to a bible believing Spirit filled church not just anyone down the road these days that will take one part of the bible and leave out the rest. And just twist the scripture any how they like.

2. The truth is, all this things are by faith. You don't even need a pastor to lay hands on you, the Holy Spirit is everywhere and more near you than you think. You can get it on tour own in your room.

I got it on my own with my friend praying for me. I can recount my own experience if you're interested and if it could help.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Jeromejnr(m): 1:26pm On Aug 25, 2015
Lizabeth25:

Always stick to the Word. Don't let your experiences with Pastors make you stray.

Yea there are Pastors these days that do all sort of finny things.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 1:32pm On Aug 25, 2015
Seriously, I really wish to.....I will appreciate.

Jeromejnr:

1. You have to go to a bible believing Spirit filled church not just anyone down the road these days that will take one part of the bible and leave out the rest. And just twist the scripture any how they like.

2. The truth is, all this things are by faith. You don't even need a pastor to lay hands on you, the Holy Spirit is everywhere and more near you than you think. You can get it on tour own in your room.

I got it on my own with my friend praying for me. I can recount my own experience if you're interested and if it could help.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 25, 2015
Thanks.

Jeromejnr:

Always stick to the Word. Don't let your experiences with Pastors make you stray.

Yea there are Pastors these days that do all sort of finny things.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 1:35pm On Aug 25, 2015
You cant be serious! asking for the experience! You still follow me come hear shocked

I am really serious about the speaking in tongue thing.! I confuse die about the matter! embarassed

asumo12:

How was the experienced like.?

wink
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by asumo12: 1:43pm On Aug 25, 2015
Lizabeth25:
You cant be serious! asking for the experience! You still follow me come hear shocked

I am really serious about the speaking in tongue thing.! I confuse die about the matter! embarassed

Na love make me follow u reach here nah!

BTW why u confuse + die on to the matter?

Only you?

2 in 1...

grin
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 25, 2015
You no just serious!

asumo12:

Na love make me follow u reach here nah!

BTW why u confuse + die on to the matter?

Only you?

2 in 1...

grin
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by asumo12: 1:55pm On Aug 25, 2015
angry angry angry
Lizabeth25:
You no just serious!

Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by CaptainJune: 4:16pm On Aug 25, 2015
Jeromejnr:

True I agree with you with the pastors forcing it issue.

But the Spirit of God does not initiate it, you have to start by faith. (That is when you've already received it tho).

I remember my own experience that is why I say this.

You are right. There are times when you initiate the flow of tongues by faith.

But the majority of times believers speak in tongues, it happens spontaneously as the Spirit fills them. This is the common way believers speak in tongues.

Nevertheless, experiences differ so I understand your point of view.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by damilareoye: 4:23pm On Aug 25, 2015
to me, speaking in tongue is one of the spiritual gifts and definitely, all believers/ Christian have the ability to speak it depending on how each fellow key him/herself into the flow of the spirit.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Jeromejnr(m): 4:29pm On Aug 25, 2015
damilareoye:
to me, speaking in tongue is one of the spiritual gifts and definitely, all believers/ Christian have the ability to speak it depending on how each fellow key him/herself into the flow of the spirit.

Yep,

But the problem is that majority don't know how to key with the flow. For various reasons.

1. Ignorance

2. Wrong teachings.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Image123(m): 10:48pm On Aug 25, 2015
1 Corinthians 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Obviously from the above passage, everyone do not speak with tongues as the rhetorical question shows. It's a NO answer to all the questions. However, it's a good thing to speak with tongues and to know the Lord.

1 Like

Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 5:19am On Aug 26, 2015
How do you start by speaking in tongue?

Image123:
1 Corinthians 12:29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 12:31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Obviously from the above passage, everyone do not speak with tongues as the rhetorical question shows. It's a NO answer to all the questions. However, it's a good thing to speak with tongues and to know the Lord.
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by sofman(m): 10:04am On Aug 26, 2015
knowing the significance of tongues as speaking on a personal issue with God should spur Christians to covet this gift. No doctrine should deny you, no religious mind should hold us. break up those fallow grounds and come up hither. Remember tongues where not limited to the first apostles. cornellious was filled with the evidence of speaking in tongues. acts 10:44-47. peter remarkably said in vs 47 that they(cornellious) recieved the same spirit they received. Wonderfu!! this was the comforter,helper, that was promised; the holy spirit.
Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. So we should speak, its a sign of our believing . This does not mean you are not a good christian if u Dnt speak in tongues, it means speaking in tongues fast forward your growth.

THIS IS NOT PRIDE: I spoke in tongues for 3hrs over the night with some brethren . so sweet a feeling with amazing prophecies. get in the flow. your desire can do a lot. God bless
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 10:25am On Aug 26, 2015
How and where do I start speaking in tongue?

Please sincerely reply just that question.

sofman:
knowing the significance of tongues as speaking on a personal issue with God should spur Christians to covet this gift. No doctrine should deny you, no religious mind should hold us. break up those fallow grounds and come up hither. Remember tongues where not limited to the first apostles. cornellious was filled with the evidence of speaking in tongues. acts 10:44-47. peter remarkably said in vs 47 that they(cornellious) recieved the same spirit they received. Wonderfu!! this was the comforter,helper, that was promised; the holy spirit.
Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. So we should speak, its a sign of our believing . This does not mean you are not a good christian if u Dnt speak in tongues, it means speaking in tongues fast forward your growth.

THIS IS NOT PRIDE: I spoke in tongues for 3hrs over the night with some brethren . so sweet a feeling with amazing prophecies. get in the flow. your desire can do a lot. God bless
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by sofman(m): 11:10am On Aug 26, 2015
[quote author=Lizabeth25 post=37347392]How and where do I start speaking in tongue?

Please sincerely reply just that question.

like someone pointed out, you can pray with faith with all willingness to receive this gift, its the spirit that gives unction, you can meet a renown person you know for impartation. I wish this could help. am sorry if it is not explicit
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 26, 2015
Thanks.

[quote author=sofman post=37348991][/quote]
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by sofman(m): 11:32am On Aug 26, 2015
Lizabeth25:
Thanks.

UWC Lizzy, wish we were in contact
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 26, 2015
but we are now.!

sofman:

UWC Lizzy,
wish we were in contact
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by sofman(m): 11:53am On Aug 26, 2015
Lizabeth25:
but we are now.!

yeap; meant before now
Re: Must We All Speak In Tongues? 1 Corinthians 14 Vs 2 To 5 by ayokanmi3(m): 2:25pm On Aug 26, 2015
Wow.... This is a serious issue and requires total yielding to the world of God...
Now, please let's note something.. The bible makes us to understand that the evidence of 'presence of holy spirit' is speaking in tongues so speaking in tongues only confirms Gods spirit manifestation and also avail you the grace to operate in a higher dimension... My own personal experience: Giving my life to christ first was the first break-through I had in 2012 where every-thing about my life changed but yet I still struggled as a christian because I was so religious and was so conscious of sin itself(walking in my own flesh) not untill 10months later I received the baptism of the holy ghost and every-thing changed entirely.
This is how I received the baptism of the holy ghost: have always been to church congregations where people were speaking in tongues but I was indifferent about. But soon I started studying acts of the apostles and I realized I needed the baptism of the holy spirit and finalized in my mind but don't know how. So on this faith-full day, I decided to call a freind just to ask him about preparation for his proposed NYSC service year then and while we were talking my freind paused and said the holy spirit minister to him now to ask me if am ready to receive the baptism of the holy ghost and at that moment my heart beat continuously with a pin-drop silence but immediately I said YES, something unusual happen: I began shouting, threw my phone away(my phone screen got broken), continuously rolling all-over the room and speaking in an unknown tongues with fire in my mouth that made me not to keep quiet.. I did this for about 3 straight hours untill my freinds came in and prayed along with me....

Since then, my life has never being the same.. I did so many things that ordinary with my own flesh I can't.. I began hearing vividly from God and most especially always feeling the strong cloud presence of God around me... And that's my greatest TESTIMONY.

Now nairalanders, being a christian without the baptism of the holy ghost is struggling; though that does not say you won't be rapturable but that means as a christian with great arsenal at your disposal, you are only using tiny percentage of the weapons God had released to you... Why not fully activate you full potential as a christian.

Thanks
*pls don't mind my typos'

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Making Maximum Impact In Ministry.( / Invitation Card To Visit Nigeria For Divine Healing. / Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Predicts What To Expect Before 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.