Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,467 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts (11800 Views)

Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” / 5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / The Truth About Speaking In Tongues And Holy Ghost Baptism... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 5:23pm On Aug 23, 2015
This write-up has been sitting in my computer for a while now. People need to understand this subject and be liberated from false teaching.

The following verses refer to the same thing in scripture, 1 Corinthians 12 being more explanatory

MARK 16: 17-18

 And these signs shall follow them that believe; in my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

EPH 4: 11-12

 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

1 COR. 12: 4-31

 1Co 12:8. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

 1Co 12:9. To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

 1Co 12:10.To another, the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

 1Co 12:11 But all these worked that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

 1Co 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly, teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

 1Co 12:29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles?

 1Co 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?

NOTES

You see here that not all saints speak in tongues. This doesn't mean they don't have the Holy Ghost.

In Mark 16, all believers, as a body, would show "these" signs but not as individuals save cases where the Holy Ghost determines otherwise. Likewise Eph 4:11-12 & 1 Cor. 12: 4-31. Everybody does not have the same gift. When Jesus spoke about "signs" following believers, he didn't mean every believer would show all the "signs" he mentioned because the gifts are given as the holy spirit determines (1 Cor 12:11)

I pray this blesses everyone! Cheers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 23, 2015
Go and reread 1cor12. All believers can speak with tongues,we all have same spirit. I have taught this several times on this forum and beyond. I still taught the subject of tongues this evening.
1cor12 explained the diversities of the gifts in ministry. I will be back to expantiate further.
Dont bend and twist mark 16:15-17.
These signs shall follow them that believe. The greek word is compound word which means "The believing ones". All believers can speak with tongues.

2 Likes

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 9:02pm On Aug 23, 2015
sportsmaster:
Go and reread 1cor12.
All believers can speak with tongues,we all have same spirit.
I have taught this several times on this forum and beyond.
I still taught the subject of tongues this evening.

1cor12 explained the diversities of the gifts in ministry.
I will be back to expantiate further.

These signs shall follow them that believe.
The greek word is compound word which means "The believing ones".
All believers can speak with tongues.

Ah, okay. Kindly share your views please...
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 1:34pm On Aug 24, 2015
babafemi1000:

Ah, okay. Kindly share your views please...
I have done this several times. Visit the following links
https://www.nairaland.com/2385771/complete-understanding-subject-tongues

https://www.nairaland.com/2260858/all-u-need-know-abt
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 24, 2015
I've shared the truth as I've been led by the spirit of God. There's no need to debate. Let God, not your pastor, lead you into the truth.

I earnestly read all the passages you quoted and the posts you shared.

Understand that I'm in no way antagonizing you but scriptures are crystal clear as is, and even the much dreaded NIV paints the same picture about the holy spirit distributing different gifts to each believer, how much more the original manuscript (septuagint and the greek NT)

I do almost agree with you on one count, that is, a believer may have all gifts of the spirit! Yes! But that's not always the case. The spirit gives as he (the spirit) wills. Not all believers have all gifts of the spirit oo...1 Corinthians 12: 29-30, Ephesians 4: 11-12.

Where on earth did you get the idea that the passage reads thus: "the spirit gives gifts as he (the believer) wills? That's so erroneous!

If the believer desires he can perhaps pray to have them sha...

I wish more saints would comment on this though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by David0(m): 3:46pm On Aug 24, 2015
sportsmaster:
Go and reread 1cor12.

U have done the topic before doesn't make u right. The same 1Cor 12 u quoted was wat d OP posted, I've read thru it, n it clearly says not everyone must have all d gift, dat includes speaking in tongues.

And I am one of those who believes speaking in tongues is not making noises calling it tongue. Speaking in tongue is actually speaking in different languages.

1 Like

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 24, 2015
David0:

U have done the topic before doesn't make u right. The same 1Cor 12 u quoted was wat d OP posted, I've read thru it, n it clearly says not everyone must have all d gift, dat includes speaking in tongues.

And I am one of those who believes speaking in tongues is not making noises calling it tongue. Speaking in tongue is actually speaking in different languages.

read 1cor 14:2:-
he who speaks in tongues speaks not unto men but unto God for no man understands him.howbeit in the Spirit he speaks mysteries
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 24, 2015
babafemi1000:
I've shared the truth as I've been led by the spirit of God. There's no need to debate. Let God, not your pastor, lead you into the truth.

I earnestly read all the passages you quoted and the posts you shared.

Understand that I'm in no way antagonizing you but scriptures are crystal clear as is, and even the much dreaded NIV paints the same picture about the holy spirit distributing different gifts to each believer, how much more the original manuscript (septuagint and the greek NT)

I do almost agree with you on one count, that is, a believer may have all gifts of the spirit! Yes! But that's not always the case. The spirit gives as he (the spirit) wills. Not all believers have all gifts of the spirit oo...1 Corinthians 12: 29-30, Ephesians 4: 11-12.

Where on earth did you get the idea that the passage reads thus: "the spirit gives gifts as he (the believer) wills? That's so erroneous!

If the believer desires he can perhaps pray to have them sha...

I wish more saints would comment on this though.

1cor12:7 the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

he who speaks in tongues speaks not unto men but unto God for no man understands him.howbeit in the Spirit he speaks mysteries

Go and understand 1cor 12 and 14 well and re-read acts 2 again.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:38pm On Aug 24, 2015
sportsmaster:

1cor12:7 the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

Go and understand 1cor 12 and 14 well and re-read acts 2 again.

Let's be clear that my post is about "tongues being one of the many gifts of the spirit and not about the different languages in which tongues are spoken.

Secondly, according to 1 Corinthians 12:7, the manifestation of the spirit is not in tongues alone na..., it's not just one manifestation but various and that's why paul outlined them. So your quoting that verse of scripture proves nothing.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by David0(m): 7:14pm On Aug 24, 2015
sportsmaster:

Still doesn't justify d fact everyone must have the spirit of speaking in tongue, besides if no man understands him, then what is d relevance of the gift of interpretation of tongues?
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 24, 2015
Moreover, in continuation of 1 Corinthians 12, if one reads from verse 12-27, paul uses an analogy to explain the distribution of gifts by the spirit. He says it's the same way the body of christ is made up of many members which have different functions.

This complements what he earlier wrote about different gifts being given to different people. It also lays a foundation for the subsequent verses 28-31
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 8:12pm On Aug 24, 2015
sportsmaster:
Go and reread 1cor12. All believers can speak with tongues,we all have same spirit. I have taught this several times on this forum and beyond. I still taught the subject of tongues this evening.
1cor12 explained the diversities of the gifts in ministry. I will be back to expantiate further.
These signs shall follow them that believe. The greek word is compound word which means "The believing ones". All believers can speak with tongues.
You are allowed your naivety.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 8:13pm On Aug 24, 2015
babafemi1000:
Moreover, in continuation of 1 Corinthians 12, if one reads from verse 12-27, paul uses an analogy to explain the distribution of gifts by the spirit. He says it's the same way the body of christ is made up of many members which have different functions.

This complements what he earlier wrote about different gifts being given to different people. It also lays a foundation for the subsequent verses 28-31
Brother they can never learn they have been doctrinated.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 24, 2015
I appreciate all the comments so far @david0, @starlingslimnet, @sportsmaster. Kindly keep em coming...

I once heard (first hand) a "pastor" say that "we must read scriptures through the eyes of our spiritual leader before reading it for ourselves".

Ain't this terrible advice? Where does the holy ghost now come in?
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 24, 2015
babafemi1000:
I appreciate all the comments so far @david0, @starlingslimnet, @sportsmaster. Kindly keep em coming...

I once heard (first hand) a "pastor" say that "we must read scriptures through the eyes of our spiritual leader before reading it for ourselves".

Ain't this terrible advice? Where does the holy ghost now come in?
They are blind guides bro.....they are thieves.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 24, 2015
sportsmaster:
Go and reread 1cor12.

Can you please point out what is in that 1Cor 12 shows that all believers will speak in tongue. The op's point is in order unless you have good proof. Am ready to consider it.

On Mark 16:16-17. Do you know that that part is doubtful? In fact, those words were inserted.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by drjellyjoe: 8:56pm On Aug 24, 2015
If you read Acts 2 (chapter about Pentecost) you will see that the tongues is a real language and not gibberish.

Acts 2:6-8 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. (7) And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? (cool And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Here is some good teaching on this matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d5lDeMJjx4
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 24, 2015
drjellyjoe:
If you read Acts 2 (chapter about Pentecost) you will see that the tongues is a real language and not gibberish.

Acts 2:6-8 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. (7) And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? (cool And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Here is some good teaching on this matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d5lDeMJjx4

Thank you for sharing @drjellyjoe. Let's all uphold sound doctrine founded on the word of God and none other.

Even though this topic is more about "whether or not tongues are the only sign that a believer has the holy ghost" than what tongues actually are, I think it may help to point it out... Thank you man..
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 24, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Brother they can never learn they have been doctrinated.

I just realised that I commented on your post yesterday! It was because of your #10 point that I created this my own post sef... You're right on all counts joor, people need to start studying for themselves..
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 9:52pm On Aug 24, 2015
babafemi1000:

I just realised that I commented on your post yesterday! It was because of your #10 point that I created this my own post sef... You're right on all counts joor, people need to start studying for themselves..
Good to see you create this thread...am glad and happy brother....Looking forward to seeing you spread the Truth of the Bible on this forum. Blessed be the name of the Lord.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 11:23pm On Aug 24, 2015
So I was just reading on another topic and I happened upon these verses from romans 12.

4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

7 Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching;

8 Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

This is yet more evidence that we all have different gifts! See verse 6!
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:30am On Aug 25, 2015
you asked for it,now you will get it.
@starlingslimnet.we are both sure that you have zero understanding on the subject of tongues.

This doctrine of the fact that tongues is a human language has been passed down over the years.

Did you even know what the Pentecost itself is?
Did you know whom the pentecost is for?
Do you know the assembly that constitued acts 2?
Paul used 1cor 14 to explain tongues,if you would just read it before you come to talk here?

@babafemi1000
the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man.
The word manifestation means "to unveil,reveal" i.e the Unveiling of the things of the Spirit is given to every believer.
1cor 12 and Roman 12 explains the diversities of gifts and administrations in ministry.1cor 12:13.
We have the same Spirit,
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 25, 2015
@babafemi1000
Go and read 1cor 14:26.

How is it then brethen when ye are gathered together, EACH ONE OF YOU has a tongue,interpretation,doctrine,revelation let all things be done unto edification..

If you dont understand 1cor12
And Rom12.i can do a complete breakdown.

Remove the idealogy that believers have different gifts.

We all have the same gifts but we can choose to function in some gifts and not function in some other.

paul admonished the Corinth church to desire earnestly the Gifts

1 Like

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 25, 2015
sportsmaster:
@starlingslimnet.we are both sure that you have zero understanding on the subject of tongues.

This doctrine of the fact that tongues is a human language has been passed down over the years.

Paul used 1cor 14 to explain tongues,if you would just read it before you come to talk here?

@babafemi1000
The word manifestation means "to unveil,reveal" i.e the Unveiling of the things of the Spirit is given to every believer.
1cor 12 and Roman 12 explains the diversities of gifts and administrations in ministry.1cor 12:13.
We have the same Spirit,
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 25, 2015
sportsmaster:

@babafemi1000
We have the same Spirit,
Like i said you are allowed your naveity
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 25, 2015
sportsmaster:
@babafemi1000

How is it then brethen when ye are gathered together, EACH ONE OF YOU has a tongue,interpretation,doctrine,revelation let all things be done unto edification..

[NLT] 1 Corinthians 14:26 Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you.

We all have the same gifts but we can choose to function in some gifts and not function in some other.

Pls break it down let's see.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 25, 2015
sportsmaster:
@babafemi1000

I like that you have a sense of humour.. "You asked for it, now you'll get it"? Lmao!

I cannot put away the ideology that saints have different gifts. The bible is clear na.. 1 Corinthians 12: 29-31 conveys a message that not all have all the gifts.

However I do understand your standpoint now, especially after reading 1 Corinthians 14:26. It would seem that paul is addressing believers for each wanting to exhibit their gifts at the same time therefore causing disorder.

Paul's just saying don't be disorderly. For as many as want to "make a presentation" of their gifts (even if they have all the gifts), there should be order. That's all.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 25, 2015
JMAN05:

[NLT] 1 Corinthians 14:26 Well, my brothers and sisters, let’s summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you.

@Jman05 thanks for this. I actually didn't want to go this route cos I wanted to understand the whole chapter 14! Now I have and I agree with you. The standpoint of this post stays the same jare. If you could just read my own reply to sportsmaster...

2 Likes

Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Jeromejnr(m): 1:12pm On Aug 25, 2015
babafemi1000:

@Jman05 thanks for this. I actually didn't want to go this route cos I wanted to understand the whole chapter 14! Now I have and I agree with you. The standpoint of this post stays the same jare. If you could just read my own reply to sportsmaster...

The question you need to ask yourself is, have you received what is called the baptism of the Spirit, if you've have not, then why don't you try it and see you will speak in tongues or not?.

BTW, there is a difference btw the ministry gift of tongues which comes with interpretation for edification of the church and the prayer language tongues, which is spoken to God alone.
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 2:11pm On Aug 25, 2015
Jeromejnr:

The question you need to ask yourself is, have you received what is called the baptism of the Spirit, if you've have not, then why don't you try it and see you will speak in tongues or not?.

BTW, there is a difference btw the ministry gift of tongues which comes with interpretation for edification of the church and the prayer language tongues, which is spoken to God alone.
Go read your Bible sir,you are baptized with the Holy Spirit at Salvation. You can prove me otherwise with the scripture
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 25, 2015
JMAN05:

Dont misread.I suggest you grab a greek manuscript.

1cor 14:26 How is then brethen?when ye come together every one of you hath a psalm,hath a doctrine,hath tongue,hath revelation,hath an interpretation.let all things be done unto edifying

Pls break it down let's see.

1cor 12: if you had patiently read vs4-7 you will understand it perfectly.
Dont take out of context.

Paul started a discussion in 1cor 12,you should read everything in book in context of 1cor12 until he switches the context.he switched in chapter 13.
take note of that.

Vs 4 mentions the gifts.
Vs5 and Vs 6 explains that there are different ministries,and different operations in the diversities of gifts.

Vs 7 says "the manifestation of the spirit is given to every man to profit withal".

The manifestation of the Spirit in this context is talking about the Gifts.

It simply means the Manifestation or rather the ability to manifest these Gifts is given to every believer for the common Good.

Read vs 28,29,30..
He explained ministry gifts.
This should tell you that he wasn't talking about the gifts,he was explaining the ministries in the gifts.

Are Apostles,prophets,teachers gifts of the Spirit.? NO!.
These are ministry Gifts not the regular gifts like (tongues,interpretation,prophesy,word of knowledge,wisdon,discerning of spirits,faith,miracles,healings).

What paul was explaining the diversities of the gifts in ministry.

In a Spirit-filled church,you will notice that Some people can function better in some Gifts than others,
that does not mean that the others dont have the same Gifts.
We all same Gifts,same Spirit.

Lemme give you pratical examples.
Refer to the Acts of the Apostles.
Peter did function with all the Gifts of the Spirit.
Paul did too.
Philip did too.

Paul functioned with all the gifts and he stated in 1cor12:7 that the manifestation of the Spirit to every believer to profit withal.

Paul cannot contradict himself.

So one believer cannot have a gift the other does not have.

read eph4:11.

I cant fully write all that i want to.its much.i explain subjects like this in 1-1 conversation
Re: Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts by Jeromejnr(m): 2:49pm On Aug 25, 2015
starlingslimnet:
Go read your Bible sir,you are baptized with the Holy Spirit at Salvation. You can prove me otherwise with the scripture

There is a difference between receiving the Spirit at salvation and being baptized with the Spirit after salvation(for power to witness).

John 20:22 "So Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you." 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit."

Here the disciples were what you call born again.

But later on:

Acts 1:4 "Gathering them together, He commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for what the Father had promised, "Which," He said, "you heard of from Me; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."

also:
Luke 24:49 "You are witnesses of these things. "And behold, I am sending forth the promise of My Father upon you; but you are to stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high."

later on:

Acts 2:4 "And there appeared to them tongues as of fire distributing themselves, and they rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues,..." Not some but all.

Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17“ ‘In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people....

"Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.”

So what do we see Peter told them here. First repent and be baptised in the Name for forgiveness of sins and..

then (a key word).

you will receive the gift... Well, what gift?

What the people saw in the disciples of Jesus that made them think they were drunk.

Now listen to this:

Acts 19:3 It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. He said to them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" And they said to him, "No, we have not even heard whether there is a Holy Spirit." And he said, "Into what then were you baptized?" And they said, "Into John's baptism."…

"Paul said, "John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus." When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying.…

After they became born again Paul laid hands on them and they received the Spirit and Spoke with tongues. After being born again. All of them, not some of them.

Also:
Acts 8: When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.. Now when Simon saw that the Spirit was bestowed through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money, saying, "Give this authority to me as well, so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."

Well, do you lay hands on people to get born again? and what was the tangible thing that the Sorcerer saw happen that made him want to buy the gift? And we also see they had already been born again before hands were laid on them for the baptism of the Spirit.

Finally:

John 7:39 "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

When was He glorified? after He ascended into heaven and as a result the disciples received the gift.

The scriptures abound. All we need to do is stop listening to man made doctrines.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can A Christian Be Truly POSSESSED By An Evil Spirit? What The Bible Truly Says / The Biblical Meaning Of Tithe / How to Give your Gifts to God as recommended by Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.