Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,125 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. (986 Views)

A Marriage List Given To A Man In Akwa Ibom (Screenshot) / Is This What Makes A Marriage? / How Did You Reject A Marriage Proposal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. by NifemiOlu(m): 3:16pm On Aug 25, 2015
Women are more likely than men to end a marriage—that's something that's already been established. But a new study casts that fact in a rather odd light.
Researchers had thought that was the case with divorce because that's the case in general. Not so. "The only prior research that had been done on who wanted the breakup was research on marital divorces," Michael Rosenfeld tells Live Science.
The Stanford sociology professor, who presented his findings yesterday in Chicago, looked at 2,262 American adults in heterosexual relationships between 2009 and 2015. During that span 371 participants split with their partners, either ending a marriage or a dating relationship.
Women unsurprisingly initiated 69 percent of the divorces, but the genders were split evenly in who ended the dating relationships, regardless of whether the couples were cohabitating.
If women were initiating divorce more often because they are more attuned to relationship troubles, they would also be more likely than men to end a dating relationship, Phys.org reports.
Rosenfeld theorizes women are actually more likely to initiate divorce because of what Time calls "arcane conventions of spousal roles." In the study, married women reported being less satisfied with their relationship than married men.
But both halves of dating couples reported about the same level of satisfaction. Rosenfeld points out married women still earn less money than their husbands, do more housework, and spend more time caring for children—factors that could lead to increased desire for a divorce.
Meanwhile, he says dating relationships "lack the historical baggage and expectations of marriage," making them perhaps more fulfilling to women's desire for gender equality.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/08/24/oddly-women-are-more-likely-to-end-marriage/

Re: Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. by shaiba(f): 3:32pm On Aug 25, 2015
Don't know exactly what to make of it when research of this kind are carried out in Chicago alone.

I think it will be better appreciated and commented on if it was done in a country in Africa, where values and lifestyle sort of impact on our decisions when it comes to family.

My thoughts though, I may be wrong.
Re: Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. by NifemiOlu(m): 3:56pm On Aug 25, 2015
shaiba:
Don't know exactly what to make of it when research of this kind are carried out in Chicago alone.

I think it will be better appreciated and commented on if it was done in a country in Africa, where values and lifestyle sort of impact on our decisions when it comes to family.

My thoughts though, I may be wrong.

I quite agree. Some of the variables mentioned above are applicable to Nigerian women and we've seen a high number of women approaching courts for dissolution of marriage. I feel some of the findings may be universal.
Re: Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. by 2good(m): 4:03pm On Aug 25, 2015
I am very disappointed that this report is coming from Stanford University because we can clearly see that the so called psychology professor already had a conclusion and worked backwards to fit the narrative.
Women initiated 67% of the divorce in this research because the feminist run western court strips a man off his house, take more than half his assets, takes his children away and give everything to the woman in addition to forcing the man to pay the woman child support and alimony.
I absolutely believe that most of these social science professors are so dumb that they waste time and money studying common sense events yet come up with a very senseless and biased conclusion. This is the reason I don't take social science studies serious.
Why don't they come to Africa and ask why most African women are not initiating divorce more than men? The simple reason is because the woman will get very little from the man after divorce hence they make the marriage to work.

1 Like

Re: Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. by raumdeuter: 4:12pm On Aug 25, 2015
Women initiate divorce more because they stand to gain more from divorce

Whats better than taking the house and half his wealth

Reverse that law today and you would see who would initiate divorce more

1 Like

Re: Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. by shaiba(f): 4:36pm On Aug 25, 2015
NifemiOlu:

I quite agree. Some of the variables mentioned above are applicable to Nigerian women and we've seen a high number of women approaching courts for dissolution of marriage. I feel some of the findings may be universal.

Three factors were mentioned, which variables are applicable to the Nigerian woman? The high number of women approaching courts for dissolution of marriage don't fall within the variables mentioned in this research. The average Nigerian woman will go an extra mile to keep her family (even a widow). I still believe in the Nigerian norms and values when it comes to family and I know a lot of women out there that will keep their families intact with or without these so-called variables.

1 Like

Re: Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. by NifemiOlu(m): 5:20pm On Aug 25, 2015
shaiba:

Three factors were mentioned, which variables are applicable to the Nigerian woman? The high number of women approaching courts for dissolution of marriage don't fall within the variables mentioned in this research. The average Nigerian woman will go an extra mile to keep her family (even a widow). I still believe in the Nigerian norms and values when it comes to family and I know a lot of women out there that will keep their families intact with or without these so-called variables.

Rosenfeld points out married women still earn less money than their husbands, do more housework, and spend more time caring for children—factors that could lead to increased desire for a divorce.

However, if you feel these are not in any way related to Nigerian women, fine. That's why we're humans and that's why NL is a forum
Modified: plus the fact that many men are increasingly becoming irresponsible. The weight is just too much on many women.
Re: Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. by cococandy(f): 5:22pm On Aug 25, 2015
[size=18pt]arcane conventions of spousal roles[/size].

That's the summary.
More is expected from married women.
The pressure to make it work is on the woman.
And the blame even when the man misbehaves is on the woman.
Less appreciated too.

Who in her right mind if in such a situation wouldn't want out?

More to gain ko.
Re: Women Are More Likely To End A Marriage. by KanwuliaJara: 7:18pm On Aug 25, 2015
True!
A woman scorned syndrome! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

That Time You Wished Your Parents Traveled & Left You And Your Siblings At Home / Http://nationalfitnesspoint.com/niagen-reviews/ / Sexualization Of Kids..as A Parent Please Read This !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.