Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,567 members, 7,847,368 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 04:23 PM

Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon (1331 Views)

How I Dined With The Devil Last Night. / Shock: Baba Buhari Threatens Devil With Shoot At Site Order. / Amaechi Suffering because He Dined With The Devils (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by LilNetty(m): 11:27pm On Aug 25, 2015
Former governor of Lagos state, Babatunde Raji Fashola, is a prominent member of the All Progressives Congress. Because of his leadership and administrative style, Fashola is seen, especially by his admirers, as the major reason why Nigerians opted for a change in government at the federal level.
Recently, Fashola has come under intense criticism for “overinflated” or “elitist” contracts executed during his tenure. The information on these projects was published on the website of the Lagos state Bureau of Public Procurement. In his opinion piece for The Scoop, Bayo Adeyinka makes four deductions from Fashola’s present ordeal.
Former governor of Lagos state, Babatunde Fashola
Lesson one: Fashola did not obey the law of power For a man who spent eight years in public office after a previous eight year stint as chief of staff and couldn’t build a political structure, Fashola is a political neophyte. Fashola’s naivety explains why he sought to push his own candidate against the wishes of his benefactor godfather at the last governorship elections – when it was clear he had no political base or platform. Fashola might understand the length and breadth of the roads in Lagos but he obviously doesn’t understand the dimensions of power. A man who couldn’t appoint his own deputy governor but thinks he can pull the rug under the feet of his godfather must be living in lala land. Fashola overestimated his capacity. His timing was wrong. His adversary was not ripe for picking. His strategy was poor. He could not understand the difference between governance and politics. He didn’t even control the State House of Assembly! He might have read Robert Greene’s 48 Laws of Power , but he didn’t master it. Robert Greene, while explaining one of the laws, wrote: “Deceive or outmanoeuvre some people and they will spend the rest of their lives seeking revenge. Choose your victims and opponents carefully, then – never offend or deceive the wrong person” . Fashola didn’t obey this law, and he’s paying dearly for it.

Lesson two: He dined with the Devil with a short spoon That’s one secret Tunde Bakare learnt when he was asked to sign an undated resignation letter when he contested as the vice- presidential candidate to President Buhari in 2011. That’s the secret Olorunnibe Mamora learnt when he was asked to back out of the senatorial elections in 2011. I hope the vice president, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, has learnt very well also having been in Jagaban’s corner for several years. It’s either absolute loyalty or nothing. It’s either full subservience, or you’re out. There is no in- between. You can’t look the master in the face. You must exhibit table manners when you go dining. If you still want to maintain your reputation, it’s better you don’t get involved at all. Lesson three: He does not understand the “fight” When I read his response to the N78m ‘websitegate’, I chuckled. One could sense that he wasn’t really willing to get into the mud like he wrote. Thankfully, he seemed to have known this was one battle he will never win. Fashola never had an input into who were his commissioners so it’s no wonder the serial leakages we’ve heard about in the last few weeks. We have to refer to Robert Greene again. Part of the explanation for law 15 states: “All great leaders since Moses have known that a feared enemy must be crushed completely. (Sometimes they have learned this the hard way.) If one ember is left alight, no matter how dimly it smoulders, a fire will eventually break out. More is lost through stopping halfway than through total annihilation: The enemy will recover, and will seek revenge. Crush him, not only in body but in spirit” . That’s what Jagaban and his team are doing to Fashola now. It’s a fight to finish. They still remember how Fashola was forgiven and given the second term ticket and what he eventually did to them.

Final lesson: There is a time to retreat and surrender Fashola has too much at stake and should quickly re-appraise current events so as to minimize the collateral damage already done to his reputation. Law 22 of Robert Greene’s book states: “When you are weaker, never fight for honour’s sake; choose surrender instead. Surrender gives you time to recover, time to torment and irritate your conqueror, time to wait for his power to wane. Do not give him the satisfaction of fighting and defeating you — surrender first. By turning the other cheek you infuriate and unsettle him. Make surrender a tool of power”. That is what I believe Fashola should do. There should be a rapprochement and it should start from him. I am a fan of Raji Fashola. I may not agree with him on every issue but I believe he’s one of the leading lights of his generation. I believe he stands head and shoulders above his contemporary governors in performance and espousing of ideas – maybe except Peter Obi. I believe he is one of the most qualified people to be in President Buhari’s cabinet. I believe his presence will give that cabinet a semblance of professionalism and seriousness. I think Jagaban should use that Yoruba methodology of using the right hand to deal with a child and drawing him closer with the left hand. One single Raji Fashola will add more value to PMB’s cabinet than several tens of others who may be appointed. That is why his constant pummelling by his own party won’t do anyone any good. People of goodwill need to step in and mediate urgently. Fashola is about to be consumed by the change he clamoured for.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 25, 2015
shocked
Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by olafum1(m): 11:35pm On Aug 25, 2015
Really?
Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by geesilver(m): 11:36pm On Aug 25, 2015
Op u ve spoken well.......

3 Likes

Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by Firefire(m): 1:01am On Aug 26, 2015
"Fashola is about to be consumed by the change he clamoured for".

The same change will soon consume the Generalissimo, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the highest looter of the 21st Century, the BIGGEST LANDLORD in Africa.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by Day169: 2:10am On Aug 26, 2015
Even in this time and age," evil still knows no bounds"!
.. an insightful post.
Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by kenny987(f): 2:45am On Aug 26, 2015
Day169:
Even in this time and age," evil still knows no bounds"!
.. an insightful post.

I would like to believe that Fashola also took time to gather enough dirt on BAT and secure keys to those cupboards laden with skeletons belonging to the so called Jagaban. I also want to believe he is biding his time till it's hot enough to strike once and deal a death blow. Otherwise he'd be the real definition of clueless and naive! Nigerian politics is dig eat dog and he has to get out from under Tinubu's thumb at some point!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by francizy(m): 7:10am On Aug 26, 2015
I remember the mumbling of Fashola on issues concerning Jonathan. How he labeled Jonathan the mastermind of the robbery that occurred during Jonathan's visit to Lagos. How he labeled Jonathan clueless. How he saw nothing meaningful in Jonathan's administration. How he attacked Jonathan here and there. How he claimed PDP is the worst calamity to befall Nigeria (just because it wasn't OBJ who contested). And so much more...

Now the hunter has become the hunted. He is now reaping the evil seeds he sowed (just like Amaechi). One would think Fashola's a saint, with the way he tackled the "clueless one". I only hope Ambode exposes him to the fullest so that we can then know which party is the worst and most corrupt in the world.

Whynotthetruth come and read. Some reasonable people have acknowledged the standards and class of Peter Obi, amidst little allocation and IGR.. grin

Passingshot, aresa.. You always made us believe nothing good has ever come out of SE. Come and read this article.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by noah91(m): 8:12am On Aug 26, 2015
Tinubu n Ambode would just stupidly weaken d influence of APC in Lagos with their propaganda against Fashola. Fashola was a far better governor than Tinubu and many Lagosians prefer him on a performance level. If this continues, APC will lose in 2019
Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by SEEMESEEMEO(m): 8:30am On Aug 26, 2015
Nigerians won't know the true state of things in lagos till an opposition party takes over, only then will everything be exposed, lagosians should vote for change!
Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by aare07(m): 8:48am On Aug 26, 2015
Ha
Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by Whynotthetruth(m): 11:57am On Aug 26, 2015
francizy:
I remember the mumbling of Fashola on issues concerning Jonathan. How he labeled Jonathan the mastermind of the robbery that occurred during Jonathan's visit to Lagos. How he labeled Jonathan clueless. How he saw nothing meaningful in Jonathan's administration. How he attacked Jonathan here and there. How he claimed PDP is the worst calamity to befall Nigeria (just because it wasn't OBJ who contested). And so much more...

Now the hunter has become the hunted. He is now reaping the evil seeds he sowed (just like Amaechi). One would think Fashola's a saint, with the way he tackled the "clueless one". I only hope Ambode exposes him to the fullest so that we can then know which party is the worst and most corrupt in the world.

Whynottetruth come and read. Some reasonable people have acknowledged the standards and class of Peter Obi, amidst little allocation and IGR.. grin

Thanks bro...I pray PDP fly a good northern candidate with Peter Obi in the next election...Then allow Obi fly with another candidate later on...Because he's not just financial manager per excellence but an intelligent technocrat, sincere leader, successful businessman and selfless man....

Cc. Firefire

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by Whynotthetruth(m): 12:06pm On Aug 26, 2015
LilNetty:
Former governor of Lagos state, Babatunde
Raji Fashola, is a prominent member of the All Progressives
Congress. Because of his leadership and administrative style,
Fashola is seen, especially by his admirers, as the major
reason why Nigerians opted for a change in government at
the federal level.

Recently, Fashola has come under intense criticism
for “overinflated” or “elitist” contracts executed during his
tenure. The information on these projects was published on
the website of the Lagos state Bureau of Public Procurement.
In his opinion piece for The Scoop, Bayo Adeyinka makes four
deductions from Fashola’s present ordeal.

Former governor of Lagos state, Babatunde Fashola

Lesson one: Fashola did not obey the law of power
For a man who spent eight years in public office after a previous
eight year stint as chief of staff and couldn’t build a political
structure, Fashola is a political neophyte. Fashola’s naivety
explains why he sought to push his own candidate against the
wishes of his benefactor godfather at the last governorship
elections – when it was clear he had no political base or platform.
Fashola might understand the length and breadth of the roads in
Lagos but he obviously doesn’t understand the dimensions of
power.
A man who couldn’t appoint his own deputy governor but thinks
he can pull the rug under the feet of his godfather must be living
in lala land. Fashola overestimated his capacity. His timing was
wrong. His adversary was not ripe for picking. His strategy was
poor. He could not understand the difference between governance
and politics. He didn’t even control the State House of Assembly!
He might have read Robert Greene’s 48 Laws of Power , but he
didn’t master it. Robert Greene, while explaining one of the laws,
wrote: “Deceive or outmanoeuvre some people and they will
spend the rest of their lives seeking revenge. Choose your
victims and opponents carefully, then – never offend or
deceive the wrong person” . Fashola didn’t obey this law, and
he’s paying dearly for it.

Lesson two: He dined with the Devil with a short spoon
That’s one secret Tunde Bakare learnt when he was asked to sign
an undated resignation letter when he contested as the vice-
presidential candidate to President Buhari in 2011. That’s the
secret Olorunnibe Mamora learnt when he was asked to back out
of the senatorial elections in 2011. I hope the vice president, Prof
Yemi Osinbajo, has learnt very well also having been in Jagaban’s
corner for several years. It’s either absolute loyalty or nothing.
It’s either full subservience, or you’re out. There is no in-
between. You can’t look the master in the face. You must exhibit
table manners when you go dining. If you still want to maintain
your reputation, it’s better you don’t get involved at all.
Lesson three: He does not understand the “fight”
When I read his response to the N78m ‘websitegate’, I chuckled.
One could sense that he wasn’t really willing to get into the mud
like he wrote. Thankfully, he seemed to have known this was one
battle he will never win. Fashola never had an input into who
were his commissioners so it’s no wonder the serial leakages
we’ve heard about in the last few weeks.
We have to refer to Robert Greene again. Part of the explanation
for law 15 states: “All great leaders since Moses have known
that a feared enemy must be crushed completely.
(Sometimes they have learned this the hard way.) If one
ember is left alight, no matter how dimly it smoulders, a fire
will eventually break out. More is lost through stopping
halfway than through total annihilation: The enemy will
recover, and will seek revenge. Crush him, not only in body
but in spirit” .
That’s what Jagaban and his team are doing to Fashola now. It’s
a fight to finish. They still remember how Fashola was forgiven
and given the second term ticket and what he eventually did to
them.

Final lesson: There is a time to retreat and surrender
Fashola has too much at stake and should quickly re-appraise
current events so as to minimize the collateral damage already
done to his reputation. Law 22 of Robert Greene’s book states:
“When you are weaker, never fight for honour’s sake; choose
surrender instead. Surrender gives you time to recover, time
to torment and irritate your conqueror, time to wait for his
power to wane. Do not give him the satisfaction of fighting
and defeating you — surrender first. By turning the other
cheek you infuriate and unsettle him. Make surrender a tool
of power”.
That is what I believe Fashola should do. There should be a
rapprochement and it should start from him.
I am a fan of Raji Fashola. I may not agree with him on every
issue but I believe he’s one of the leading lights of his generation.
I believe he stands head and shoulders above his contemporary
governors in performance and espousing of ideas – maybe except
Peter Obi. I believe he is one of the most qualified people to be in
President Buhari’s cabinet. I believe his presence will give that
cabinet a semblance of professionalism and seriousness. I think
Jagaban should use that Yoruba methodology of using the right
hand to deal with a child and drawing him closer with the left
hand. One single Raji Fashola will add more value to PMB’s
cabinet than several tens of others who may be appointed. That is
why his constant pummelling by his own party won’t do anyone
any good. People of goodwill need to step in and mediate
urgently.
Fashola is about to be consumed by the change he clamoured for.

But remember, notwithstanding being a good manager...he stole so much that it can't be hidden...Doesn't APC have better and corruption free man....His looting didn't crumble Lagos like Osun simply because of the strength of Lagos economy thanks to its cosmopolitan nature & national appeal....

1 Like

Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by natureblack(m): 5:11pm On Aug 26, 2015
kenny987:

I would like to believe that Fashola also took time to gather enough dirt on BAT and secure keys to those cupboards laden with skeletons belonging to the so called Jagaban.I also want to believe he is biding his time till it's hot enough to strike once and deal a death blow. Otherwise he'd be the real definition of clueless and naive! Nigerian politics is dig eat dog and he has to get out from under Tinubu's thumb at some point!
No Nigerian politician has exerted so much influence in his state so vastly,like that spectacled taciturnity called Tinubu.

He reminds me of a treatise "The Prince",written by Niccolo Machiavelli(an Italian diplomat).This book teaches how to gain and maintain political power,mostly through the deployment of unwholesome but realistic techniques.

Tinubu operates strictly in vague,silent hibernation,manipulating the levers of power through politics.He does not annoint a leader without inserting entrapments within the system so that he can easily undo his blessing,just in case(I call that dangerously intelligent).Have you forgotten how he checkmate Fashola by installing his loyalists as members of the Lagos state house of assembly.If you have read Machiavelli's book you will find apparent exemplification in Tinubu's politics of trickery and brinkmanship.

@Bolded
Yes_Fashola has keys to the cupboards laden with skeletons belonging to Jagaban.Regrettably,he(as stated in the OP) is not only politically naive,but queerly scared to go down dirty against Jagaban.

Disclaimer; I am not a Tinubu fan.Just a nigga who thinks the truth needs no colour.
Re: Fashola Dined With The Devil With A Short Spoon by kenny987(f): 5:27pm On Aug 26, 2015
natureblack:
No Nigerian politician has exerted so much influence in his state so vastly,like that spectacled taciturnity called Tinubu.

He reminds me of a treatise "The Prince",written by Niccolo Machiavelli(an Italian diplomat).This book teaches how to gain and maintain political power,mostly through the deployment of unwholesome but realistic techniques.

Tinubu operates strictly in vague,silent hibernation,manipulating the levers of power through politics.He does not annoint a leader without inserting entrapments within the system so that he can easily undo his blessing,just in case(I call that dangerously intelligent).Have you forgotten how he checkmate Fashola by installing his loyalists as members of the Lagos state house of assembly.If you have read Machiavelli's book you will find apparent exemplification in Tinubu's politics of trickery and brinkmanship.

@Bolded
Yes_Fashola has keys to the cupboards laden with skeletons belonging to Jagaban.Regrettably,he(as stated in the OP) is not only politically naive,but queerly scared to go down dirty against Jagaban.

Disclaimer; I am not a Tinubu fan.Just a nigga who thinks the truth needs no colour.

I understand and agree with u totally. I do believe though, that there has to be an Achilles heel somewhere or some kind of insurance that once called in sends Tinubu's 'empire' crashing like a deck of cards. I do hope for Fashola's sake that he has it otherwise Tinubu may send him into total oblivion if not outright destruction.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Niger Governor's Recent Speech / Olisah Metuh Is “ethically-challenged” – Lai Mohammed / I Am Disappointed Saraki Didn't Go Straight To Jail.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.