Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,281 members, 7,836,253 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes (13594 Views)

How Calabar Rice City Project Will Generate Over N70bn Yearly – Gov. Ayade / My Cucumber And Tomatoes Farm In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State / Why We Are Importing Grass By Minister Of Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 10:29am On Aug 26, 2015
Good. So you may not have the full right to bash nigerian youths, rather you can throw out advice. A I was posted to a very rural area where the populace lives and feed mainly on farming and hunting. Its not just about the farmlands, but many other determinants come to play. Equipments, fertilizers, registrations, farming techniques, so many chemicals and so on. If you wanna go into productive farming, you cant be using crude farming equipments at this time. Don't forget access to market for ur produce. If the government is serious, they know how to attract more youths to agriculture. But for now, they are still busy hoping oil prices will rise again, they are all concentrated on maintaining their jumbo pay
Freemanan:

No... I am occupied already and I Hope to invest in Agriculture someday.
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 26, 2015
and after they will tell us that the northerners grows and exports tomatoes...
keep deceiving unaselves... hypocrites

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 26, 2015
ilobasama:
Good. So you may not have the full right to bash nigerian youths, rather you can throw out advice. A I was posted to a very rural area where the populace lives and feed mainly on farming and hunting. Its not just about the farmlands, but many other determinants come to play. Equipments, fertilizers, registrations, farming techniques, so many chemicals and so on. If you wanna go into productive farming, you cant be using crude farming equipments at this time. Don't forget access to market for ur produce. If the government is serious, they know how to attract more youths to agriculture. But for now, they are still busy hoping oil prices will rise again, they are all concentrated on maintaining their jumbo pay
So you think It's all government fault that our agriculture sector is deteriorating?
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 26, 2015
Where are the northern abok.is that are fumbling that without their agriculture other regions won't have food to eat?You don't even have agricultural products and you are making mouth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by timilinda(f): 10:47am On Aug 26, 2015
boboLIL:
Only tomatoes? Na lie joor....dem they corner the moni

Don't mind dem. As if we use tomato juice to bathe n as cream! angry
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 10:48am On Aug 26, 2015
Haba, where did I say so. Its all cant be govnt fault. Afterall we have people that apply for lands and other agriculture benefits, only to divert these stuffs when given( again due to a government that allows it.)
Freemanan:

So you think It's all government fault that our agriculture sector is deteriorating?
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 26, 2015
ilobasama:
Haba, where did I say so. Its all cant be govnt fault. Afterall we have people that apply for lands and other agriculture benefits, only to divert these stuffs when given( again due to a government that allows it.)
What is the cause then, It's not the government fault and It's not the fault of the lazy youths... Confused..
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by juman(m): 10:56am On Aug 26, 2015
Of course this one nigeria is a curse.

Everything is imported.

Those useless "leaders" instead of developing agriculture they just have farm for themselves.
What are useless myopic, ingrate, useless, insane "leaders". All what they have they got it from nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 26, 2015
boboLIL:

You don't understand what is being discussed.
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by kuuljay(m): 11:23am On Aug 26, 2015
tomatoes is produced mostly seasonally in nigeria and its highly perishable go to benue and see how tomatoes perish in the farm after harvest just because the truck couldn't show up if only there where enough paste making factories to buy in large quantities and can it am sure we will not be importing but rather exporting

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 26, 2015
Fault of both
Freemanan:

What is the cause then, It's not the government fault and It's not the fault of the lazy youths... Confused..
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Yorobastard(m): 11:50am On Aug 26, 2015
modelmike7:
Been making research about this for sometime now. Thank God the President just placed a ban on any Tomato related products. Why import when we can produce more than enough in Nigeria? BTW, in other countries when it rains, youth go out and plant but when it rains in Nigeria, the youth will be jumping about shouting, tweeting and putting up status, saying 'Weather for Two', 'Weather for Two' smh!!!

grin grin grin...abi nah body no be firewood or do you expect us to drink hot tea with akara angry
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 11:55am On Aug 26, 2015
May be they are referring to Importation of Toyin Tomatoes
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Reference(m): 11:57am On Aug 26, 2015
Same ol, same ol. Talk, talk, talk, lament, lament, lamentations....but alas, no ideas, no action, no movement and in 4 years under new government they will be reading from the Book of Ezekiel. The only thing we need to import in this country is common sense and courage, from China and Cuba respectively.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 11:59am On Aug 26, 2015
Yorobastard:

grin grin grin...abi nah body no be firewood or do you expect us to drink hot tea with akara angry
... You see what i am saying!
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Oduok(m): 12:00pm On Aug 26, 2015
The problem is not with farming. We have enough from our local farms. But the fresh tomatoes get spoilt during period of glut. The problem is with processing into tins. And presently the design of the processing plant in the country is not economically viable. I took time out to do the plant design, economic analysis, and a look into the international market to uncover certain secrets. Nigeria will continue to import tomatoes, palm oil, crude oil etc. Until they are ready to make use of technocrats. For now, the present situation is an enabling environment for smart inventors to tap into.
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by DarryOsh(m): 12:06pm On Aug 26, 2015
Freemanan:
YET LAND IS WASTING... JOBLESS GRADUATES AND YOUTHS ARE MOVING TO BIG CITIES AND LIVING UNDER BRIDGE WAITING FOR WHITE COLLAR JOB...

WHILE OUR LAND IS WASTING.. PICK A HOE, FARM, FARM, AND FARM... KANYI JIKOTA

Did you miss this part:

“Post-harvest losses have been estimated to range between five and 20 per cent for grains; 20 per cent for fish and as high as between 50 and 60 per cent for tubers, fruits and vegetables.”

A fifth of harvests are destroyed because we lack advanced preservative techniques. Is that encouraging? Ask those who went into farming and are counting their losses.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by ttmacoy: 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2015
If we really want to be self sufficient agriculture wise then we should be investing in proper mechanised farming not all this carry hoe and cutlass we are talking about.

This is one of the go number of areas oil revenue should have been invested in during the oil boom rather th chop chop now and forget the future.

modelmike7:
Been making research about this for sometime now. Thank God the President just placed a ban on any Tomato related products. Why import when we can produce more than enough in Nigeria? BTW, in other countries when it rains, youth go out and plant but when it rains in Nigeria, the youth will be jumping about, tweeting, putting up status, typing and shouting 'Weather for Two', 'Weather for Two' smh!!!
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 12:24pm On Aug 26, 2015
ttmacoy:
If we really want to be self sufficient agriculture wise then we should be investing in proper mechanised farming not all this carry hoe and cutlass we are talking about.

This is one of the go number of areas oil revenue should have been invested in during the oil boom rather th chop chop now and forget the future.

......... You are so very right on this bro. You made a valid point.
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by 400billionman: 12:25pm On Aug 26, 2015
modelmike7:
Been making research about this for sometime now. Thank God the President just placed a ban on any Tomato related products. Why import when we can produce more than enough in Nigeria? BTW, in other countries when it rains, youth go out and plant but when it rains in Nigeria, the youth will be jumping about, tweeting, putting up status, typing and shouting 'Weather for Two', 'Weather for Two' smh!!!

grin This is weather for me and twaci.

Seriously, our youths are mentally lazy. The ease with which people beg for money baffles me. How does someone think that begging will sustain him or her for long ?
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by DarryOsh(m): 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2015
Freemanan:

Not entirely. But let the government play its part and watch other things begin to fall into place
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 26, 2015
400billionman:

grin

Seriously, our youths are mentally lazy. The ease with which people beg for money baffles me. How does someone think that begging will sustain him or her for long ?
......... I keep wondering about that also bro...... We have all it takes to make it as Nigerian youth, if only we are ready, we will start small and with some incentives from the Government we will get there.....
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Twaci(f): 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2015
400billionman:

grin This is weather for me and twaci.

As long as say na farm we dey go cheesy
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Weah96: 12:45pm On Aug 26, 2015
NEPA is responsible for the waste. I keep my tomatoes in the fridge until I'm ready to use them. They will rot easily if you don't have a fridge, or if your power supply cannot stay on for 24hrs.

The 750,000 tons get discarded because they become rotten. Too many poor people who can't afford a steady supply of electricity. Only Africans will address the symptom rather than the disease. Fix NEPA and see if the country doesn't have tomatoes left over from the previous year.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Agroinfotech: 1:00pm On Aug 26, 2015
The NYSC scheme should be redesigned to promote agribusiness. Corpers should be camped on farm settlements, trained in agribusiness and not military fitness. They should be grouped into teams and trained on specific agro areas. That's the only way out!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by iyiscopy(f): 1:22pm On Aug 26, 2015
boboLIL:

abi
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by BizBayo: 1:31pm On Aug 26, 2015
satowind:
And those things called tin tomatoes are ordinary floor and colour. Never tastes lyk tomatoes

You mean they are made of flour? That's a serious issue o
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Weah96: 1:37pm On Aug 26, 2015
There is no tomato crisis in Nigeria. Anyone who tells you that deserves a strong slap. These government thieves and liars deserve to be shot on sight

THERE IS A CRISIS WITH THE LIGHTS/POWER SUPPLY, HOWEVER. Without access to a steady supply of power, you'll end up importing a lot of products for no f#king reason, INCLUDING TOMATOES
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by satowind(m): 2:13pm On Aug 26, 2015
BizBayo:

You mean they are made of flour? That's a serious issue o
U can tell from the taste

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming / Free Detailed Feasibility Study On Fish Farming / Fresh And Split Dried Ginger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.