Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,220 members, 7,836,065 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes (13593 Views)

How Calabar Rice City Project Will Generate Over N70bn Yearly – Gov. Ayade / My Cucumber And Tomatoes Farm In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State / Why We Are Importing Grass By Minister Of Agriculture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by uzolexis(f): 2:24pm On Aug 26, 2015
Wait!!! Nigeria imports tomatoes I don't bliv this. I'm moving back to 9ja ASAP n starting a tomato farm. I studied Agricultural Economics so I can do this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by kayjegs: 2:46pm On Aug 26, 2015
Visit this thread to know more about tomato farming and business. I have talked about this long time and many other business ideas.

https://www.nairaland.com/1163912/funds-not-business-actually-need

Make a business out of this opportunity. Have a blessed day...
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by mikolo80: 3:11pm On Aug 26, 2015
Freemanan:
YET LAND IS WASTING... JOBLESS GRADUATES AND YOUTHS ARE MOVING TO BIG CITIES AND LIVING UNDER BRIDGE WAITING FOR WHITE COLLAR JOB...

WHILE OUR LAND IS WASTING.. PICK A HOE, FARM, FARM, AND FARM... KANYI JIKOTA
pick a hoe ke, when you're not a love-vendor. tractors are the way forward. don't deceive yourself, no graduate Will be interested in hoe and cutlass, even awolowo says that is pure wickedness
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by mikolo80: 3:13pm On Aug 26, 2015
naijainfogalery:
Aminu, Mohammed, oya leave your shop and shoe maker biz and go back to farm, thought you said ur matas were producing enough?

Its high time the youths go into farming and stop looking for a white collar Job, i think the Govt should give out lands to youths to farm, provide them with basic equipments then at the end of each year they can share the profit with the government 60% to 40%
You take 60% and the Govt take 40%
una no de tire to de wait for govt that will never help una. better think of plan b, that's why you're educated, to find solution to problem
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by mikolo80: 3:15pm On Aug 26, 2015
MistaHumble:
That's serious... I thought we had this in excess in the north. Why are we importing when we are meant to be exporting?

We really need to start taking our agriculture seriously.
because you the dedicated are not interested in agric
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by lurlah2014(f): 4:29pm On Aug 26, 2015
WHAT THE MALAMS STILL DOING, NOW GET BACK TO WORK#FARMING# NOW
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by chachanga: 6:10pm On Aug 26, 2015
Pavore9:
lt is heart breaking seeing that we lose so much during post harvest while many Nigerians are hungry. This challenge is laced with opportunities for smart Nigerians who can identify them.

Enough of all these workshops/conferences held in conference halls of hotels rather the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development should focus their effort in sensitizing Nigerians about the limitless opportunities in the Agricultural sector by producing Agri-business TV programmes and syndicating them to TV Stations across the country. With focus on cultivation/rearing, processing, packaging and marketing, it would inspire many start-ups and many idle hands would be engaged.

Every TV station in Kenya has one or two Agri-business TV programmes running, competing against each other to gain more viewership.

When Nigerians get to see their fellow country men and women earning good income from their Agri-business ventures many would be inspired and that would lead to increased food production and lessen the unemployment level.

U're making great sense!
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by teekay213(m): 6:36pm On Aug 26, 2015
seriously?what happened to jos sweet tomatoes.
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by tonimenia: 9:48pm On Aug 26, 2015
This must be discouraged!

Meanwhile,

See 100 Most Powerful

Business Opportunities,

Free Financial Assistance /

Free Loans Without Collateral

And Latest Money Making Ideas

In Nigeria Now Without Delay

Immediately By Clicking On
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by BushidoBlue(m): 10:54pm On Aug 26, 2015
Agroinfotech:
The NYSC scheme should be redesigned to promote agribusiness. Corpers should be camped on farm settlements, trained in agribusiness and not military fitness. They should be grouped into teams and trained on specific agro areas. That's the only way out!
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 26, 2015
I thought tomatoes come from the core north of nigeria?
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Obanga(m): 6:49am On Aug 27, 2015
You also need to tell us hw much is realized from d 16B tomatoes deal,abi they share d tomatoes 2 Nigerians?
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by QUEENCHIGO: 4:45pm On Sep 12, 2017
There are so many local and affordable solutions to the problem of post harvest losses especially for tomatoes and they can be used in both farms and households. For example, placing tomatoes inside a container of wood ash and covering tightly can preserve your tomatoes for more than three months. I learnt this from a blog that focuses on educating people on storage and post harvest losses. Check out some of their very educative posts http://www.gricd.com.ng/2017/08/21/zeer-pot-affordable-local-storage-technology-for-tomato-preservation/
http://www.gricd.com.ng/2017/08/28/building-a-zero-energy-cooling-chamber-an-affordable-local-storage-technology-for-perishable-food/
Re: Nigeria Spends N16b Yearly Importing Tomatoes by Nobody: 3:27am On Sep 13, 2017
MistaHumble:
That's serious... I thought we had this in excess in the north. Why are we importing when we are meant to be exporting?

We really need to start taking our agriculture seriously.

I did my service in north and I know that we have excess but these are the problems
1. No organised farm groups to streamline farm activities like planting and harvesting
2. Because of 1 above the market becomes disorderly flooded with products
3. The roads to the farmlands are so bad that donkeys are used to bring out farm produce. Also the motorcycle most people use spoil 30 percent of tomatoes from farm to market
4. Government failure to render basic services to farmers like educating them on the need to group up, training and access roads.

If you see the life of the people producing these tomatoes you will pity their struggle. Forget about the media propaganda by government ,most of those inputs they offer reach the farmers at costlier prices. That's where we found our selves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Say No To Bill Gates Cassava And Rice Farming / Free Detailed Feasibility Study On Fish Farming / Fresh And Split Dried Ginger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.