Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,174 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Tower Of Babel Couldd Have Been In Cross River - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tower Of Babel Couldd Have Been In Cross River (844 Views)

The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread / The Mystery Of The Tower Of Babel / If God Is Not The Author Of Confusion, What About The Tower Of Babel? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tower Of Babel Couldd Have Been In Cross River by dakerabbi: 8:40am On Aug 26, 2015
I saw this on a friend's fb wall and I decided to share:
"There is a village in Obudu - Cross River State called Ubang where Women speak a different language from Men! I don't know how it happens but a boy-child will naturally acquire the masculine language and a girl-child will naturally acquire the feminine language. Amazingly, they understand themselves. The two languages are mutually exclusive.
Yea, the first time I heard about this was when I was still in Secondary School in Cross River State from Blessing Akpanke- an indigene of the village. Fascinated by the discovery, I told blessing then that I think the Biblical 'Tower Of Babel' must have been there! I started suspecting that the Tower of Babel must have been somewhere in Cross River even before I heard about the Ubang people. If not, how else will you explain a state with nothing less then 200 languages? Seriously, in most parts Cross River, every village have their own lingua. I didn't say Local Government areas oo but villages and sometimes clans!
I've always been amused by the Multiple Language in the state and how some of my friends from there don't even know the meaning of their native names. When asked you get responses like, "I don't know, it's an ancient name" or "My name has no meaning, my parents just gave me the name". It's really funny.
Yesterday, I got talking with yet another person from Ubang and he told me more about the place. He told me about the amazing rocks and hills there. While driving down to the village, you get to a point where it looks like the road ends there as there's a huge rock right in front then all of a sudden the road descends around the rock and continues. I can't explain it well as I've not been there but I think it's really beautiful!
There's also another rock with a very heavy foot print on it. The foot print looks Super-Natural. You see, that is to confirm my 'Tower Of Babel' suspicions.
Obudu is a fascinating Place! Cross River at large is beautiful and richly endowed. It's so sad we don't get to scream about these places. The world deserve to know about places like these. Researches should be carried out on Ubang, Our media people should flaunt this beauty, Nollywood should make movie locations there and tell some of their stories. They are endangered like most of our natural gifts. Let's scream out how beautiful we are!"
99: lalasticlala
Re: Tower Of Babel Couldd Have Been In Cross River by DuchessLily(f): 8:49am On Aug 26, 2015
Yeah! Nigeria is truly endowed! So many tourist attractions. The tourism sites have to be harnessed

Lol@ Tower of Babel..... It could be true grin
Re: Tower Of Babel Couldd Have Been In Cross River by dejavski(m): 9:12am On Aug 26, 2015
Tower of Babel kor Hill of Gerrard nni angry
Re: Tower Of Babel Couldd Have Been In Cross River by freeDR(m): 10:28am On Aug 26, 2015
I don't think it has anything to do with the biblical Tower of Babel. Rather, it has more to do with their sociopolitical evolution.

What determined homogeneity of language in most regions of the world was the presence, at one time in their history, a unifying political structure, brought about either by conquest or tradition, under which they were compelled to interact with the a single dominant language. Case studies are the Hausa and Yoruba languages.

In the case of the tribes in Cross River, they didn't have a similar history, hence the diversity in their tongues.

(1) (Reply)

Letter To Moderators / Atheists/humanist Funeral, what does it look like? / Mmmmm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.