Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,039 members, 7,828,657 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread (1752 Views)

Tower Of Babel, An Insight Into Space Exploration And Architectural Revolution / Was The Tower Of Babel A Literal Tower? / The Tower Of Babel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Nobody: 10:23am On Apr 02, 2017
By ednut1:
From the tower of babel story it can be implied heaven is in the skies and he confused them so they wont reach there...

->> But when the white men (aka oyinbos) were inventing & building space crafts why did God not confuse them.?

->> Or is it that heaven was never in the skies or it was moved . I am not understanding.

Who can shed more light

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Jokerman(m): 10:43am On Apr 02, 2017
There is time for everything in this world bro...

The bible also said in these last days, Knowledge shall be increased...
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Nobody: 10:57am On Apr 02, 2017
Jokerman:
There is time for everything in this world bro...

The bible also said in these last days, Knowledge shall be increased...
Since the bible claimed knowledge shall increase, why did he confuse them in the 1st place and failed to confuse them now wink
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by ednut1(m): 11:00am On Apr 02, 2017
comot my moniker sir cheesy
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by zionmade(m): 11:09am On Apr 02, 2017
adepeter26:
By ednut1:
From the tower of babel story it can be implied heaven is in the skies and he confused them so they wont reach there...

->> But when the white men (aka oyinbos) were inventing & building space crafts why did God not confuse them.?

->> Or is it that heaven was never in the skies or it was moved . I am not understanding.

Who can shed more light

After d big bang event, where did diverse languages originate from?
Tower of babel was being built in a quest to reach God, Go back to d bible where u got d story d reason God decided to confuse dem was not because he was afraid the building will get to heaven but rather he was courteous of d fact dat wit one language man will be able to achieve watever he wants to achieve whether good or evil

Now why are sky scrapers built

3 Likes

Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Kenneth4u205(m): 11:14am On Apr 02, 2017
adepeter26:
By ednut1:

Who can shed more light

I will shed more light as professor of bible. God didn't confuse them because they are about to get to heaven. he confused them because they broke his commanded to multiply and fill the earth. in genesis 1:28, God decreed man to multiply and filled the whole universe. he want man to spread all over the world. to discover other continent and resources.

genesis 1:28

God blessed them. God said to them, “Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it. Have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the sky, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

now fast forward to Genesis 11:4,we see those guys breaking God commandment and decree by saying that we don't want to fill the whole earth. let us build a tower and a wall around us so that we wouldn't scatter and fill the earth.

Gen 11:4

They said, “Come, let’s build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top reaches to the sky, and let’s make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad on the surface of the whole earth.”

so in order to make them to spread out all over the world, he confused their language. if you read other apocrypha books like jubilee ,Enoch,etc, you will see how they were dying in seconds while building the tower out of too much stress and shortage of food. the whole human race would have died in the process of building that tower out of stress and hunger. God doesn't want all his creature to perish that way out of stupidity like APC zombies.

3 Likes

Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Nobody: 11:23am On Apr 02, 2017
zionmade:

Am not gonna engage into any argument with you again as this thread is for discussing individual opinions.
Tower of babel was being built in a quest to reach God,
Yea. Exactly
Go back to d bible where u got d story d reason God decided to confuse dem was not because he was afraid the building will get to heaven
According to religious claims, god confused them because they wanted to get to him which you attested to above
but rather he was courteous of d fact dat wit one language man will be able to achieve watever he wants to achieve whether good or evil
There are no biblical claims as to the boldened text...
I guess you framed it up as well
If Am wrong, type down the bible verse where it was stated that

This has no relation to the Op
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by zionmade(m): 11:29am On Apr 02, 2017
adepeter26:

Am not gonna engage into any argument with you again as this thread is for discussing individual opinions.

Yea. Exactly

According to religious claims, god confused them because they wanted to get to him which you attested to above

There are no biblical claims as to the boldened text...
I guess you framed it up as well
If Am wrong, type down the bible verse where it was stated that

This has no relation to the Op

First if u are atheist u have no reason to come to d religion section and secondly if u ask christians questions i have every reason to respond to u
Go to Gen 11:6
Wen u re back tell me wat u read from there
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Nobody: 11:33am On Apr 02, 2017
Kenneth4u205:
I will shed more light as professor of bible.

I hope so sir.
I stand to be corrected.
Correct me when I "quote out of context"
God didn't confuse them because they are about to get to heaven. he confused them because they broke his commanded to multiply and fill the earth.
Now am getting two contradictory responses as to why god confused them.
Zionmade stated, "god confused them so they would communicate to him (god) in different dialet" - meaning, this formed the basis for several languages.
in genesis 1:28, God decreed man to multiply and filled the whole universe. he want man to spread all over the world. to discover other continent and resources.
I seem not to get why you made reference to this verse.

God blessed them. God said to them, “Be fruitful, multiply, fill the earth, and subdue it. Have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the sky, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

There were words as accord the account of creation as stated by the Bible. How does it in anyway conforms to the OP
Hope you don't mind explaining better
now fast forward to Genesis 11:4,we see those guys breaking God commandment and decree by saying that we don't want to fill the whole earth. let us build a tower and a wall around us so that we wouldn't scatter and fill the earth.

They said, “Come, let’s build ourselves a city, and a tower whose top reaches to the sky, and let’s make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered abroad on the surface of the whole earth.”

Modified

I think I get ya message now.... Anyways, thanks
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Nobody: 11:46am On Apr 02, 2017
zionmade:

First if u are atheist u have no reason to come to d religion section

Says who? By who? And to who?

Anyways, let's not deviate
and secondly if u ask christians questions i have every reason to respond to u
Go to Gen 11:6
Wen u re back tell me wat u read from there
And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
[2] And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
[3] And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
[4] And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
[5] And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
[6] And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
[7] Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
[8] So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
[9] Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

No place was it stated that god confused them so they could communicate with him as you earlier stated.
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by zionmade(m): 11:52am On Apr 02, 2017
adepeter26:

Says who? By who? And to who?

Anyways, let's not deviate

And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech.
[2] And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there.
[3] And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them throughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for morter.
[4] And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.
[5] And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded.
[6] And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.
[7] Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.
[8] So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city.
[9] Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.

No place was it stated that god confused them so they could communicate with him as you earlier stated.
Read dat first comment again. What did i say was d reason for d confusion
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Nobody: 11:57am On Apr 02, 2017
zionmade:

Read dat first comment again. What did i say was d reason for d confusion
Tower of babel was being built in a quest to reach God, Go back to d bible where u got d story d reason God decided to confuse dem was not because he was afraid the building will get to heaven but rather he was courteous of d fact dat wit one language man will be able to achieve watever he wants to achieve whether good or evil
Ya comment.

Anyways, I Ve engaged in something more difficult than this with you,, you ended up mixing gists....

Thank you for your contributions zionmade. Am not gonna start all over again with you
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by CatfishBilly: 11:59am On Apr 02, 2017
Following.
I'll jump in where necessary.
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by jimmyjenseng(m): 12:32pm On Apr 02, 2017
zionmade:

Has nothing to do with the op.

Tower of babel was being built in a quest to reach God,
Interesting! So man knew where god was in the beginning.

Go back to d bible where u got d story d reason God decided to confuse dem was not because he was afraid the building will get to heaven but rather he was courteous of d fact dat wit one language man will be able to achieve watever he wants to achieve whether good or evil

@bolded has man not achieved whatever he wants to achieve whether good or evil with the diverse language spoken?

[/quote]Now why are sky scrapers built[/quote]
is this really a question
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by zionmade(m): 1:05pm On Apr 02, 2017
jimmyjenseng:

Has nothing to do with the op.
find out wat the op said to me that warranted that

Interesting! So man knew where god was in the beginning.
that is a blind question, Adam knew his creator and where he resides

@bolded has man not achieved whatever he wants to achieve whether good or evil with the diverse language spoken?
At that particular time they were scattered by the reason of diverse languages. so mission accomplished. whether u like it or not man is not in unity as he would have been if only one language was spoken

is this really a question
go and find out who mentioned sky scrapers d first time and direct that question to him
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by UyiIredia(m): 1:11pm On Apr 02, 2017
The Babel incident dishonors God's intellect. If I were God I would not in a tiny bit be bothered by men who think that they can build a tower to heaven. Heaven is not in the material universe. It is in a spiritual dimension.
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by KingEbukasBlog(m): 1:31pm On Apr 02, 2017
UyiIredia:
The Babel incident dishonors God's intellect. If I were God I would not in a tiny bit be bothered by men who think that they can build a tower to heaven. Heaven is not in the material universe. It is in a spiritual dimension.

Exactly ! The men were trying access a portal - a gateway to Heaven , a different dimension . Even Babel ( bab-ilum) means "gate of God" .

Last time I tried explaining this to those lowbrows they called me "star-trek evangelist"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by jimmyjenseng(m): 1:51pm On Apr 02, 2017
zionmade:

find out wat the op said to me that warranted that
oh ok.

that is a blind question, Adam knew his creator and where he resides

And his children knew not?
What are you saying sef. It obvious you don't know the tradition of ancient Israel.
These people knew god's place of resident otherwise they wouldn't go through the stress of building a tower so big to see/meet god.

At that particular time they were scattered by the reason of diverse languages. so mission accomplished. whether u like it or not man is not in unity as he would have been if only one language was spoken

The hatred and disunity should be faulted on god then. simple.

go and find out who mentioned sky scrapers d first time and direct that question to him
Alright.
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by BaEnki(m): 4:49pm On Apr 02, 2017
Kenneth4u205:
I will shed more light as professor of bible.

You're less a professor of bible with this, God doesn't want all his creature to perish that way out of stupidity like APC zombies. Not a very good response from a theological professor.

@Adepeter26

To me discussing or arguing about non-existed being is a waste of the sacred precious timecheesy.
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by MrRichmond: 5:08pm On Apr 02, 2017
from your arguments I can deduce two things:

1. God was some how concerned about the unity of man kind and our ability to accomplish anything we put our minds to, I dare to say this wasn't mere concern but seemed like fear of some sort. Which will make any rational person question why God will be afraid of man uniting together.

2. God confusing man's language led to our division and disunity. If you ask me: man hasn't recovered from God's actions during the Babel era. We are still divided and fighting amongst ourselves. Imagine if we put aside all our differences and came together as one species one race.
What we would be able to do Ehn!
Anyway, all this boils down to the most important question of all.

Is God against the unity and prosperity of mankind?
All indications from this story says an affirmative "Yes"
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Nobody: 6:05pm On Apr 02, 2017
BaEnki:

@Adepeter26

To me discussing or arguing about non-existed being is a waste of the sacred precious timecheesy.
When one is bored, I just jonze in the bible for fun bro cheesy
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by obinna58(m): 6:13pm On Apr 02, 2017
zionmade:

Omg see explanation cheesy
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by obinna58(m): 6:26pm On Apr 02, 2017
Kenneth4u205:
I will shed more light as professor of bible. God didn't confuse them because they are about to get to heaven. he confused them because they broke his commanded to multiply and fill the earth. in genesis 1:28, God decreed man to multiply and filled the whole universe. he want man to spread all over the world. to discover other continent and resources.

so in order to make them to spread out all over the world, he confused their language. if you read other apocrypha books like jubilee ,Enoch,etc, you will see how they were dying in seconds while building the tower out of too much stress and shortage of food. the whole human race would have died in the process of building that tower out of stress and hunger. God doesn't want all his creature to perish that way out of stupidity like APC zombies.
Your explanation were base on why God made it impossible for them to get to him
Why not also explain why god disappeared from the same heaven

Dodging questions isn't an option bro cool
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Nobody: 6:53pm On Apr 02, 2017
zionmade:

You guys just insult everyone's intelligence. Can you hear yourself? It took him till when they started building a tower (because they wanted to reach 'heaven') to "realize" that man could achieve a lot, therefore making him "cautious".

Do you seriously believe what you just wrote?

1. "Realization" is not a characteristic of an omniscient being. You only realize things you didn't know. Therefore to say an omniscient being realized something is contradictory.

2. "Cautiousness" as well isn't a property of a perfect being. You claim God to be perfect, then at the same time you say he was being cautious. You are only cautious when you know you have the tendency to make a mistake, therefore saying a perfect being is acting cautious is contradictory as well.

1 Like

Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by zionmade(m): 7:04pm On Apr 02, 2017
AnonyNymous:

You guys just insult everyone's intelligence. Can you hear yourself? It took him till when they started building a tower (because they wanted to reach 'heaven') to "realize" that man could achieve a lot, therefore making him "cautious".

Do you seriously believe what you just wrote?

1. "Realization" is not a characteristic of an omniscient being. You only realize things you didn't know. Therefore to say an omniscient being realized something is contradictory.

2. "Cautiousness" as well isn't a property of a perfect being. You claim God to be perfect, then at the same time you say he was being cautious. You are only cautious when you know you have the tendency to make a mistake, therefore saying a perfect being is acting cautious is contradictory as well.

Dats wat bible says. And if u want me to modify it for u sorry to dissappoint u. I am a Christian and I am born again u can choose to believe watever u want to believe. For me i choose to believe d bible in its totality.
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 02, 2017
zionmade:

Dats wat bible says. And if u want me to modify it for u sorry to dissappoint u. I am a Christian and I am born again u can choose to believe watever u want to believe. For me i choose to believe d bible in its totality.
So. . .the bible says left and it also says right, and you just believe. Interesting. Meaning simedays you can choose to believe God is perfect, and some days you can choose to believe God is imperfect and has to be cautious at times, when he realizes stuff. Gotcha.
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by adelee777: 7:17pm On Apr 02, 2017
adepeter26:
By ednut1:

Who can shed more light

God created man to populate d earth one of d main aims of d builder of d tower was for man to have a centre where they could congregate. God had to confuse their languages for dem to disperse n populate d earth.
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by zionmade(m): 8:02pm On Apr 02, 2017
AnonyNymous:

So. . .the bible says left and it also says right, and you just believe. Interesting. Meaning simedays you can choose to believe God is perfect, and some days you can choose to believe God is imperfect and has to be cautious at times, when he realizes stuff. Gotcha.
There is nothing logical about d bible and yes if it says right it is right and vice versa. I dnt like logical things because i usually override logic in my dealings with life. And God has been ever faithful to me in keeping d words in the bible. For example drugs dnt go into my mouth wen i feel sick i do d illogical thing by laying hands om dat place and just like dat d story ends. I wont come here to tell u wen last i took a drug but just know dat it has been very very long.
So choose to believe wat u believe for me i will stand on d bible forever. I have witnessed a lot to go back
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by hopefulLandlord: 7:10am On Apr 04, 2017
nice thread
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by randomperson: 8:01am On Apr 04, 2017
zionmade:

So god created many languages to confuse humans? Well, he failed because right now, language doesn't confuse humans at all.
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by CoolUsername: 11:46am On Apr 04, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Exactly ! The men were trying access a portal - a gateway to Heaven , a different dimension . Even Babel ( bab-ilum) means "gate of God" .

Last time I tried explaining this to those lowbrows they called me "star-trek evangelist"

*facepalm intensifies*
Re: The Tower Of Babel - Discussion Thread by ifenes(m): 11:59am On Apr 04, 2017
The Tower of Babel was a stargate to other dimensions and star systems. The humans if allowed would have had direct access to the various home planets/star systems of the various Extraterrestrial humanoids/ gods that colonised the planet back then.

Mind you, the ancient humans were themselves taught science, mathematics, geometry etc by the rebel faction of the ET gods in order to be intellectually advance enough to fight back the oppressing masters( the selfish ETs) but they didn't manage to win.

Their languages becoming confused was all about dis- uniting the humans with religion and beliefs like we have today. A United humans on this planet is a nightmare of the gods.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did God Choose Israel To Be His Chosen People? / What Is The Difference Between Bible Doctrine And Church Doctrine? / Xtians Answer This If You Know You Know.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.