Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,742 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! (11960 Views)

Separate Conscious Entity That Transcends The Universe / Grace Testimony From Nigeria : Protected From Armed Robbery / Is Forgiveness Like A Debit Card? - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Scholar8200(m): 1:01pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

Because it concerns me. If you can't stand by what you post, then don't post.
Then it will be fair to consider the whole post and not just the part.

Are you better at keeping the Law?
Would you repeat this same question to the Inspirer of Paul when he wrote this:

that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Romans 8:4
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 1:03pm On Mar 19, 2016
Scholar8200:
Behaviour modification? Rather, what I see is the receiving and manifestation of a Life while we witness the mortifying of the old and the renewal of the mind, by the Spirit.

That 'receiving and manifestation' is behavior modification which takes human effort. How is it a gift?
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 1:07pm On Mar 19, 2016
Scholar8200:
Then it will be fair to consider the whole post and not just the part.
That is a statement on itself capable of being examined by itself. Whatever else you said does not add nothing to it. Holy Spirit helps you keep the Law is your point. Paul kept the Law without the Holy Spirit and without Christ and he fled all these only to keep the law again? Are you serious?

Would you repeat this same question to the Inspirer of Paul when he wrote this:

that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.l
Romans 8:4
You spoke of KEEPING the Law not the righteousness being fulfilled. Do you know the difference between KEEPING and FULFILLING?

Romans 8:1-4 (ESV)
1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. 3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

1. There is no condemnation
2 observe the contrast between Spirit of LIFE and the law of SIN & DEATH...life in the Spirit vs sin & death
3. The righteous requirement of the Law is death to all who break it, who sin. This is what Christ condemned in the flesh', and once condemned nobody condemns you.
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Scholar8200(m): 1:41pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

That is a statement on itself capable of being examined by itself. Whatever else you said does not add nothing to it. Holy Spirit helps you keep the Law is your point. Paul kept the Law without the Holy Spirit and without Christ and he fled all these only to keep the law again? Are you serious?

You spoke of KEEPING the Law not the righteousness being fulfilled. Do you know the difference between KEEPING and FULFILLING?
Now where did I say that?

Romans 8:1-4 (ESV)
1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. 3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, [size=14pt]who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit[/size].

1. There is no condemnation
2 observe the contrast between Spirit of LIFE and the law of SIN & DEATH...life in the Spirit vs sin & death
3. The righteous requirement of the Law is death to all who break it, who sin. This is what Christ condemned in the flesh', and once condemned nobody condemns you.
No condemnation if we walk in the Spirit.Further below it says we will reap the wages of sin, if we walk in the flesh (Romans 8:13)
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Scholar8200(m): 1:43pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

That 'receiving and manifestation' is behavior modification which takes human effort. How is it a gift?
Because it is received. And effort here is more of watchfulness to ensure that we have not fallen from the faith and/or grace and this calls for regular self-examination.
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Scholar8200(m): 1:45pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

Righteousness of Christ which is BY FAITH is a bunch of dos and don'ts?
It is a Life expressed through faith and depending on the Indwelling Spirit. (The Fruit of the Spirit is the outworking of that which He works in us)
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Nobody: 2:17pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

I did define righteousness.

Very true, so what's the righteousness of Christ that is ONLY received by faith?

Righteousness is not character in one post and the next post it is character? You are unashamedly inconsistent poster.

So righteousness is behavior modification?

And this is what Paul was seeking by faith, right? The Law lacked ability to give man God's character?

Vain semantics

It in other words take EFFORT to be righteous which is by faith? Do this, do that...voila! You are righteous

Righteousness is effort?
What is the role of faith?

You think Peter is prescribing a righteousness formula? grin

Again, righteousness is behavioral modification, right?
This discussion has reached a point where we are going in vain circles. I'll let Scholar proceed with you. He's got a higher degree of patience than I.
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by michaelwestern(m): 2:57pm On Mar 19, 2016
Muafrika2:

This discussion has reached a point where we are going in vain circles. I'll let Scholar proceed with you. He's got a higher degree of patience than I.

Please, do you keep all the commandments in the old testament?
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Scholar8200(m): 3:01pm On Mar 19, 2016
michaelwestern:

In the NT, the question should be what progress are you making in walking in the Spirit? Because that is the only way we fulfil the righteousness of the law. Romans 8:4.
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Nobody: 3:09pm On Mar 19, 2016
michaelwestern:

Never seen the sense. It's not a covenant am part of.

I only strive for one law in the new testament, which is the law of my blood covenant with Christ:

Love God, and love your neighbours as you love yourself.

I can tell where this is going so I'll take a short cut. I have already answered the question of the difference between the old and new testament righteousness. Which you will agree with me is different from the righteosness on the new testament.

I'll quote my earlier response to your brother on page 2, post 77,

Muafrika2:

We need to differentiate here between works under the old testament (which were a shadow of the new testament) and works under the laws of Christ.

Hebrews 10:1 |
For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

So what purpose did the DAILY sacrifices serve? Do we need a different form of a daily sacrifice, one under the laws of Christ. Yes we do...

Luke 9:23 |
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself[b], and take up his cross daily, and follow me.[/b]

You should realize that all sacrifices and offerings and other Levitical laws were in actuality Prophetic, or signs of the works of righteousness. A shadow of a real thing that we now have. Now we have the Spirit of God that empowers us to live in righteousness of the spirit. Righteousness that is not hidden. It's a light that shines (light actually defined as works of righteousness);

Matthew 5:14 |
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Matthew 5:15 |
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Matthew 5:16 |
[b]Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, [/b]and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 3:59pm On Mar 19, 2016
Muafrika2:

You q mind reader or something? I felt the same way with you.
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:01pm On Mar 19, 2016
Scholar8200:
Now where did I say that?

No condemnation if we walk in the Spirit.Further below it says we will reap the wages of sin, if we walk in the flesh (Romans 8:13)
It is honestly childish denying your own posts

Once again, are you better at keeping the law?
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:03pm On Mar 19, 2016
Scholar8200:
Because it is received. And effort here is more of watchfulness to ensure that we have not fallen from the faith and/or grace and this calls for regular self-examination.
Excuse me, exactly WHAT is received? Good manners?
Jesus died so you can have better manners and you receive better manners from him?

Mr Scholar8200, are you righteous? Do you have the righteousness of Christ?
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:04pm On Mar 19, 2016
Scholar8200:
It is a Life expressed through faith and depending on the Indwelling Spirit. (The Fruit of the Spirit is the outworking of that which He works in us)
And the question is , this 'life' is dos and don'ts?

Do you have the righteousness of Christ mr Scholar8200?
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:06pm On Mar 19, 2016
Muafrika2:

Never seen the sense. It's not a covenant am part of.

I only strive for one law in the new testament, which is the law of my blood covenant with Christ:

Love God, and love your neighbours as you love yourself.

I can tell where this is going so I'll take a short cut. I have already answered the question of the difference between the old and new testament righteousness. Which you will agree with me is different from the righteosness on the new testament.

I'll quote my earlier response to your brother on page 2, post 77,

Loving God and your neighbor are part of the Law, hope you know that. No need for Legalists scampering from their beliefs.
Muafrika2, are you righteous? Do you have the righteousness of Christ?
(A) Yes
(B) No
(C) Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't
(D) I'm not sure
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Nobody: 4:19pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

You q mind reader or something? I felt the same way with you.
undecided

Yet you just can't resist,

vooks:

Loving God and your neighbor are part of the Law, hope you know that. No need for Legalists scampering from their beliefs

If you are devoid of the works of righteousness, call it the law or any other thing to excuse yourself, am sorry to inform you that you have no place in the Kingdom of God. Because the Kingdom of God is righteousness.
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:20pm On Mar 19, 2016
Muafrika2:

undecided

Yet you just can't resist,

If you are devoid of the works of righteousness, call it the law or any other thing to excuse yourself, am sorry to inform you that you have no place in the Kingdom of God. Because the Kingdom of God is righteousness.

Muafrika2,
Are you righteous?
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

Loving God and your neighbor are part of the Law, hope you know that. No need for Legalists scampering from their beliefs.
Muafrika2, are you righteous? Do you have the righteousness of Christ?
(A) Yes
(B) No
(C) Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't
(D) I'm not sure
A. Yes
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:23pm On Mar 19, 2016
Muafrika2:

A. Yes
You possess God's character as per your definition here?
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Scholar8200(m): 4:26pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

And the question is , this 'life' is dos and don'ts?

Do you have the righteousness of Christ mr Scholar8200?
Yes.
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:27pm On Mar 19, 2016
Scholar8200:
Yes.
You have the character of God as per Muafrika2's definition here?
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Scholar8200(m): 4:27pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

It is honestly childish denying your own posts

Once again, are you better at keeping the law?
Just be kind enough to show me where I advocated keeping the law.
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:28pm On Mar 19, 2016
Scholar8200:
Just be kind enough to show me where I advocated keeping the law.
Did you not post that you are helped keep the law?
Scholar8200:

A NT saint is justified by faith in Christ and receives the Indwelling of the Spirit, quickened by the Latter, he is enabled (Grace) to please God in the deepest sense of the word.

A NT saint is born of the Spirit, is adopted as a son through Jesus Christ, Is Indwelt and empowered by the Spirit (enabling him to fulfil the righteousness of the law which law is written on the table of his heart by the same Person Who wrote it on tablets of stone-the Spirit, only that this time the Writer indwells him as a Power and Revealer of the Life of He that fulfilled the Law).

Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Scholar8200(m): 4:28pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

Excuse me, exactly WHAT is received? Good manners?
Jesus died so you can have better manners and you receive better manners from him?

Mr Scholar8200, are you righteous? Do you have the righteousness of Christ?
What is received: Life.

31 but these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
John 20:31
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:30pm On Mar 19, 2016
Scholar8200:

What is received: Life.

31 but these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.
John 20:31
Bro this is ETERNAL LIFE not a lifestyle. Wake up

1 Like

Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Scholar8200(m): 4:41pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

Bro this is ETERNAL LIFE not a lifestyle. Wake up
And what is Eternal Life? A quality of life or a quantity sans end? And when do we receive Eternal Life? At death or now?

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, it is much more [certain], now that we are reconciled, that we shall be saved (daily delivered from sin’s dominion) through His [[g]resurrection] life.
Romans 5:10 (AMP)

The highlighted is my focus.

{one thing about these discussions is that God help us to press further in their practical realities, Amen.}

1 Like

Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:43pm On Mar 19, 2016
Dear Nairalanders,
Scholar8200 & Muafrika2 have assured me that if God possesses any character, one needs to look no further than in in their lives to see this character manifest. These are righteous folks
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:

You possess God's character as per your definition here?

Yep,
Not perfect but there alright, and am working on what is remaining with alot of pain.

Do you believe it's impossible? Just crucify your self and see.

Muafrika2:

Well thank you for asking me a question you just avoided;

There is no righteosness without faith. It's impossible to please God without faith.

Character is testimony to the presence or absence of righteosness. Godly Character is in fact the righteousness of men. Because God is love. He Is Patient, Merciful, Good, Longsuffering, Kind, ... This is what we who believe in Him are continually being turned into. UnGodly character is wickedness. And this is my answer,(feel free to post YOU TAKE of what being in right standing with God as you said righy er oddness is means. Try and remove character out of it and see.)

So God's character is in fact what our righteosness is.

Is righteosness a noun or a verb? If a verb, it's an act. If a noun, then the definition, which cannot be complete without the action.

There is a spiritual difference between a righteous spirit and an unrighteous one. The spirits of men are not passive entities. Before GOD, A human spirit Is Either glorifying Him, thus a Living, continuous sacrifice. It takes resolve to continually crucify our flesh.

Righteosness does not exist in a vacuum. It's a work of faith. And this is how you can see righteousness; - faith, virtue, knowledge (Godly), temperence, patience, Godliness, brotherly kindness, charity; (which you have overlooked in my last post): -

Peter 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/2-Peter-Chapter-1/#6

As I also just posted, the spirit of the wicked on the other hand is continually in this state;
.. fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate(strife), deceit, malignity; whisperers(backbiters),Romans 2:8, 1:29.

Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:46pm On Mar 19, 2016
Scholar8200:
And what is Eternal Life? A quality of life or a quantity sans end? And when do we receive Eternal Life? At death or now?

For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, it is much more [certain], now that we are reconciled, that we shall be saved (daily delivered from sin’s dominion) through His [[g]resurrection] life.
Romans 5:10 (AMP)

The highlighted is my focus.

{one thing about these discussions is that God help us to press further in their practical realities, Amen.}
I don't manufacture my theology out of interpolation and paraphrases.
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by Nobody: 4:51pm On Mar 19, 2016
vooks:
Dear Nairalanders,
Scholar8200 & Muafrika2 have assured me that if God possesses any character, one needs to look no further than in in their lives to see this character manifest. These are righteous folks
How can we not if we share one Spirit? Your creator lives in me. I am the righteosness of God.

Not a joke.

2 Corinthians 5:21 |
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:53pm On Mar 19, 2016
Muafrika2:

Yep,
Not perfect but there alright, and am working on what is remaining with alot of pain.
Working hard to receive a gift
'Not perfect' means you don't possess God's character. At what point does one declare they are righteous, that they possess God's character? When they are lightyears even by their own generous estimation away from 'perfect'?

You received this righteousness by faith but in reality it is an illusion you keep on chasing?

Do you believe it's impossible? Just crucify your self and see.
You have crucified yourself and hence you are qualified to declare to all and sundry that God's character is all you are! How can it be impossible?
Re: GRACE TRANSCENDS FORGIVENESS! by vooks: 4:54pm On Mar 19, 2016
Muafrika2:

How can we not if we share one Spirit? Your creator lives in me. I am the righteosness of God.

Not a joke.

2 Corinthians 5:21 |
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
What are you working on if you are ALREADY the righteousness of God? What a conundrum of theology!
The way of the transgressor Legalists is hard grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Should A Born Again Christian Involve In Active Politics? / Incubus And Succubus – Sex Demons Of The Night / There Is God And He Answers Prayer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.