Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,454 members, 7,843,387 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo (1225 Views)

FLASHBACK: Sanusi Doesn't Know How Oil Revenues Are Remitted - Andrew Yakubu / NIMASA Collected Revenue In Dollars, Remitted Naira – FG / Remitted N973Million:Goodluck Jonathan, NOT President Buhari Recovered The Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by segello: 2:25pm On Aug 26, 2015
◾Diaspora Nigerians remitted home about $20b last year, the Federal Government said yesterday.
◾Vice President Yemi Osinbajo said the government will tap into the experience the Nigerians abroad to deepen the economy.
◾Those in the Diaspora will however wait for some time before they can start voting in elections.
◾Osinbajo, who represented President Muhammadu Buhari, spoke at the 2015 Diaspora Day held at the Old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
◾He said: “Besides, the financial remittances from Nigerians abroad have well reached an estimate of over $20 billion in 2014.“With the potential of such huge populations abroad and attendant financial muscle, no government can actually totally ignore such persons.”
more on...http://nairametrics.com/nigerians-abroad-remitted-20b-in-2014-vp-oshinbajo/
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by peterovanski(m): 2:26pm On Aug 26, 2015
Xx
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by zuchyblink(m): 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2015
atleast 60 percent of it is by Igbos

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by benedictnsi(m): 2:36pm On Aug 26, 2015
Good people great Nation.. gringrin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by saintopus(m): 3:01pm On Aug 26, 2015
APC really loves 20biliion. Check this: $20B NNPC fund missing-Sanusi Lamido Stella Oduah stole Ñ20B Diezani Madueke unremitted funds now $20B Nigeria Minting Cooperation N20B missing.

Could it be that some people have something with 20billion that we don't know,?
Just asking.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by oduastates: 3:22pm On Aug 26, 2015
zuchyblink:

BS right there. Bullcrap

According to the estimates, remittances from the UK, including unrecorded transfers through formal and informal channels, could be worth up to $23bn – including $3.9bn to India, $3.8bn to Nigeria, and more than $1.2bn to Poland. This would make the UK the third-largest source of remittances, after the US and Canada.
http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/datablog/2013/aug/09/remittances-britain-data

Almost a quarter of it comes from the UK alone.
That is before Ireland ,Germany ,nederlands, Australia,Italy ,America and Canada

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by IGBOSON1: 3:29pm On Aug 26, 2015
saintopus:
APC really loves 20biliion. Check this:
$20B NNPC fund missing-Sanusi Lamido
Stella Oduah stole Ñ20B
Diezani Madueke unremitted funds now $20B
Nigeria Minting Cooperation N20B missing.

Could it be that some people have something with 20billion that we don't know,?

Just asking.

^^^Thought i was the only one that noticed it! lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by scholes0(m): 3:46pm On Aug 26, 2015
zuchyblink:

Bullcrap

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by zuchyblink(m): 4:06pm On Aug 26, 2015
scholes0:

Bullcrap
60 percent if not 75 percent
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by tpiander: 4:08pm On Aug 26, 2015
is it the $100 people send here and there that added up to $20b?

possibly not, I guess some real bigwigs sent the bulk of that amount, probably up to 99% of it.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by tpiander: 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2015
@ saintopus

true, $20b is being thrown around a lot these days, seems like a default figure.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by zuchyblink(m): 4:13pm On Aug 26, 2015
oduastates:

BS right there. Bullcrap

According to the estimates, remittances from the UK, including unrecorded transfers through formal and informal channels, could be worth up to $23bn – including $3.9bn to India, $3.8bn to Nigeria, and more than $1.2bn to Poland. This would make the UK the third-largest source of remittances, after the US and Canada.
http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/datablog/2013/aug/09/remittances-britain-data

Almost a quarter of it comes from the UK alone.
That is before Ireland ,Germany ,nederlands, Australia,Italy ,America and Canada
3.5 billion dollars uk remittance world wide in 2011
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by scholes0(m): 4:22pm On Aug 26, 2015
zuchyblink:
60 percent if not 75 percent

Why don't you say 100%? lol
Majority of those remittances are from countries like USA, UK, Canada, Ireland, Etc
And unless you think Ibo are 60 or 75% of Nigerians in those places, you better provide figures that mirror reality ....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by zuchyblink(m): 4:30pm On Aug 26, 2015
scholes0:

Why don't you say 100%? lol
Majority of those remittances are from countries like USA, UK, Canada, Ireland, Etc
And unless you think Ibo are 60 or 75% of Nigerians in those places, you better provide figures that mirror reality ....
apart from the UK,there is no other place non-Igbo ethnic groups can compete with the Igbos in terms of concentration
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by scholes0(m): 4:40pm On Aug 26, 2015
zuchyblink:
apart from the UK,there is no other place non-Igbo ethnic groups can compete with the Igbos in terms of concentration

No, I thought you said 60 or 75% of the remittances were Ibo.....
Not forgetting that there are also Yoruba, Edo, Ibibio, Ijaw,, Etc Nigerians also abroad. Maybe they, just decide not to send any money to their peeps in nigeria, and would rather have it all to themselves....
Why are you now saying something else?

That of the UK is obvious, Yorubas probably more than double Igbos there.
As for some other countries like Canada, USA, Ireland, Australia Etc.... no one is sure of what the situation is like. I have lived a significant portion of time in Canada and US for example. Yoruba seem to outnumber Igbo in Canada, wile it looks 50-50 In USA.
so unless you can profide official figures, I would suggest stop pulling statements out of your arse

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by zuchyblink(m): 4:57pm On Aug 26, 2015
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_American
igbo American are recognized ethnic group in America.
Do u know IPOB alone has Igbo members from Over 88 countries in the world.
Any where u don't see Igbos,that place is not habitable.No ethnic group can beat Igbos in traveling
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by Growingboi(m): 4:58pm On Aug 26, 2015
I am just praying for a day when the British, Americans as well was Australians would be
begging to work in Nigeria and start sending money home...Amen

#nextgenerationthings
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by carnegiefan: 5:11pm On Aug 26, 2015
zuchyblink:
Any where u don't see Igbos,that place is not habitable.No ethnic group can beat Igbos in traveling

Lovely. That WIki page is simply awesome. cool
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by carnegiefan: 5:15pm On Aug 26, 2015
About remittances, I believe that Igbo remit more than any ethnic group in Nigeria, and the reason is simply -THEY ALWAYS THINK HOME.
They have families that they actually care about and support in many ways. Most Yoruba that I know barely care about their people at home let alone send any money.
That is the simple fact. Next is the fact that Igbo in non-western world -Asia, South America, Oceania, etc are more home minded than the ones in western world. Lastly, the Igbo are in almost EVERY corner of the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by scholes0(m): 6:06pm On Aug 26, 2015
zuchyblink:

As if the wikipedia page is supposed to mean anything...lmao
There is also a Yoruba american page, Fula American, Afrikaners in America, Berber American Etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_American

Igbos travel to many places, although their populations in most of them are insignificant
But official remittance of 20Billion in 2014 is what we are talking here.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by Nobody: 12:22am On Aug 27, 2015
zuchyblink:

When will you stop listening to uncle paulinus's junk, every lie you've told on this forum has always been bursted but you continue repeating it that was how one of you said you consume 90% of the eggs in Nigeria smh

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 27, 2015
scholes0:

Not forgetting that there are also Yoruba, Edo, Ibibio, Ijaw,, Etc Nigerians also abroad. Maybe they, just decide not to send any money to their peeps in nigeria, and would rather have it all to themselves....

As for some other countries like Canada, USA, Ireland, Australia Etc.... no one is sure of what the situation is like. I have lived a significant portion of time in Canada and US for example. Yoruba seem to outnumber Igbo in Canada, wile it looks 50-50 In USA.
so unless you can profide official figures, I would suggest stop pulling statements out of your arse

You're listening to that one, i stopped taking mofos seriously when one said obama listens to radio biafra

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by Nobody: 12:52am On Aug 27, 2015
scholes0:

As if the wikipedia page is supposed to mean anything...lmao
There is also a Yoruba american page, Fula American, Afrikaners in America, Berber American Etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_American

Igbos travel to many places, although their populations in most of them are insignificant
But official remittance of 20Billion in 2014 is what we are talking here.

Between scholes Have you seen this? i'll add it to your ogun state thread. trust me that state is the future. i see no reason why it shouldn't be the most developed state in Nigeria

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/08/ogun-customs-generates-n3-4bn-revenue-declares-war-on-smuggling/
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by adconline(m): 1:17am On Aug 27, 2015
And this amount is equivalent to Naija budget in 2015-N4.4tn
Yet they don't have voting rights and most Naija folks in Naija allege that diasporans should ve been better in Naija than doing menial jobs.
BTW, this amount doesn't include other channel like sending of goods, giving cash to a traveling family member/friend.. Not forgetting IOUs.. Telling a friend/family in Naija to give some money to someone in Naija then u will repay when u come back.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by knowledgeable: 2:12am On Aug 27, 2015
scholes0:

I am more than convinced that Igbos represent 60% or a little more. My reasons are (1), Hausa/Fulani represent zero almost. (2), Those remittances are recycled into real estate and property ownership, importation and etc of which Igbos represent 60-70%. The remaining % should go to yorubas and other southern groups. Middle belt and core North .... insignificant. This reality came as a result of decades of marginalisation of Igbos, which forced on them both domestic and international migration. As the marginalization continues, a northerner as president whose region remit zero, but contribute immensely, death, poverty, bokoharam, backwardness will now preside over this important sources of foreign exchange and oil and gas from the same region whom were marginalized out of the country and are now remitting back these billions. What a world?.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by tonychristopher: 7:56am On Aug 27, 2015
knowledgeable:

I am more than convinced that Igbos represent 60% or a little more. My reasons are (1), Hausa/Fulani represent zero almost. (2), Those remittances are recycled into real estate and property ownership, importation and etc of which Igbos represent 60-70%. The remaining % should go to yorubas and other southern groups. Middle belt and core North .... insignificant. This reality came as a result of decades of marginalisation of Igbos, which forced on them both domestic and international migration. As the marginalization continues, a northerner as president whose region remit zero, but contribute immensely, death, poverty, bokoharam, backwardness will now preside over this important sources of foreign exchange and oil and gas from the same region whom were marginalized out of the country and are now remitting back these billions. What a world?.
the world is very funny

when they marginalised Igbo and they are still doing that they thought that they are punishing the Igbo ...they never knew they are doing themselves

they gave Igbo higher cut off marks thereby making Igbo read harder today we have Igbo intellectual everywhere and Igbo are toping education.

they came in economy they thought that they will achieve that via £20 pound policy ...Igbo migrated today Igbo is dominating the market and commerce with manufacturing and many travelled abroad

so the marginalisation is helping Igbo not to be complacent

it gave Igbo the can do spirit and that is why they can talk about Biafra openly knowing what they can achieve but no other tribe has the balls to do this
Re: Nigerians Abroad Remitted $20b In 2014 – VP Osinbajo by cjrane: 10:26pm On Aug 27, 2015
Yet Nigerians abroad are most disrespected and abandoned by our FG and embassies.
Nigerians are the most patriotic citizens on earth. They still love Nigerua even when her government despise them

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Or Biafra...strange Prediction 6 Months Ago / ..... / Corruption: Ali Demands Customs Officers’ Files

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.