Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,099 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization (103016 Views)

Traditional Regalia Of The Oba Of Lagos Destroyed In Fire - NEMA / Get To Know The Nok Culture, Nigeria’s Oldest Known Civilization (pics) / New Igbo Words In Nsibidi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by ImperialYoruba: 11:05pm On Dec 17, 2018
superlightning:

I wish I could see how green your envious face is.

You can't rewrite history. Nsibidi was part of Igbo civilization. It is well documented.

Ekoi, Ibibio, efik all had nsibidi as part of their way of life as well. It is not limited to just one ethnic nationality.

I already told you i know how Ibo approach matters like this. Attacks, assaults, if that doesnt do it you will soon introduce pictures of Ibadan roofs and Yoruba tribal marks...all because you cant get your way, so im prepared for your assaults but I will also use this opportunity to shut this nsibidi lie down.

This is not envy just plain truth.

I dont care if its recorded in smithsonian, nsibidi is a falsehood.

Nsibidi is a project, and when it started it should correctly have been promoted as an experiment to codify "how the indigeneous people would have exchanged ideas, if they had a writing record". Thus it will be received as a theoretical project to uncover past....instead of claiming it as a manuscript of ideas. grin

Anybody can put figures and symbols together to represent an idea....all humans had this capability. It is different and dangerous however to translate cave drawings to thesis and scholarship. They are not!

1 Like

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by superlightning: 8:56am On Dec 18, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

I already told you i know how Ibo approach matters like this. Attacks, assaults, if that doesnt do it you will soon introduce pictures of Ibadan roofs and Yoruba tribal marks...all because you cant get your way, so im prepared for your assaults but I will also use this opportunity to shut this nsibidi lie down.

Nsibidi is a project, and when it started it should correctly have been promoted as an experiment to codify "how the indigeneous people would have exchanged ideas, if they had a writing record". Thus it will be received as a theoretical project to uncover past....instead of claiming it as a manuscript of ideas. grin

Anybody can put figures and symbols together to represent an idea....all humans had this capability. It is different and dangerous however to translate cave drawings to thesis and scholarship. They are not!

All these junk post just because Yoruba had no writing system before the British came?

You don't blow another's candle off because yours isn't on. Envy does not pay. A million likes for your rant won't change a thing.

Project my foot. You know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about nsibidi. Let the Easterners tutor you on that.

It pains your demonic heart deeply that a writing system existed in the east before your ewedu tribe embraced civilization.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by Fatherofdragons: 3:30pm On Dec 18, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

That is how u yorubers go about Igbo threads with your hate, envy and obsession. Pained owambe freaks.

5 Likes

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by ImperialYoruba: 7:22pm On Dec 18, 2018
superlightning:

All these junk post just because Yoruba had no writing system before the British came?

You don't blow another's candle off because yours isn't on. Envy does not pay. A million likes for your rant won't change a thing.

Project my foot. You know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about nsibidi. Let the Easterners tutor you on that.

It pains your demonic heart deeply that a writing system existed in the east before your ewedu tribe embraced civilization.

Okay we go talk in nsibidi today. You and i. grin

Do me a favor, load the full nsibidi lexicon here or give me link to the official record and archive if you have it.

I go show you say this thing na ongoing project and is not an artifact. grin
Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by superlightning: 10:10pm On Dec 18, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

Okay we go talk in nsibidi today. You and i. grin

Do me a favor, load the full nsibidi lexicon here or give me link to the official record and archive if you have it.

I go show you say this thing na ongoing project and is not an artifact. grin

*yimu*

1 Like

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by ImperialYoruba: 10:24pm On Dec 18, 2018
superlightning:

*yimu*

You say Yoruba envy you...okay make we inspect your nsibidi, now you begin yinmu. grin

Where is nsibidi? Bring am here and prove me wrong. grin grin
Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by superlightning: 7:00am On Dec 19, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

You say Yoruba envy you...okay make we inspect your nsibidi, now you begin yinmu. grin

Where is nsibidi? Bring am here and prove me wrong. grin grin

You are up no good. You envy is already derailing the thread. Seriously I dont have time arguing with sickos. You know nothing about nsbidi, I wonder what on earth you want to inspect.Your inspection is inconsequential.

You must really think am stupid to be as stupid as you. Blame your forefathers for not having a writing system.

1 Like

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by bluke(m): 9:05am On Dec 19, 2018
thank god for lord lugard that create city states in the east
Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by ImperialYoruba: 12:18pm On Dec 19, 2018
superlightning:

You are up no good. You envy is already derailing the thread. Seriously I dont have time arguing with sickos. You know nothing about nsbidi, I wonder what on earth you want to inspect.Your inspection is inconsequential.

You must really think am stupid to be as stupid as you. Blame your forefathers for not having a writing system.

Until you bring it in here this statement remains fact. I will let you all continue and not derail this beautiful thread. When you are ready to prove to me and my forefathers that you have a indigeneous writing system please ping me. I will honor your call. grin

Nsibidi is a project, and when it started it should correctly have been promoted as an experiment to codify "how the indigeneous people would have exchanged ideas, if they had a writing record". Thus it will be received as a theoretical project to uncover past....instead of claiming it as a manuscript of ideas.

Yoruba, the most Superior race on earth!
Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by labani06(m): 4:09pm On Dec 19, 2018
thank god for been a hausa man the Britons meet my ancestors with their civilization we know how to write and read in our Ajami system of writing and it is still existing .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by ImperialYoruba: 6:32pm On Dec 19, 2018
labani06:
thank god for been a hausa man the Britons meet my ancestors with their civilization we know how to write and read in our Ajami system of writing and it is still existing .

Ajami was the lingua franca of West Africa, what is referred as SUDAN BELT. It is the writing system of ancient Black Arabs.

Arab as an ethnicity is different from Arab as a religion. So when we say Ajami some people get scared by that word because they instantly mis interprete it to mean Islam.

Islam met Ajami already in use in West Africa. In fact spread of Islam was aided by literate scribes who recorded history and accounts of ancient times.

For instance in Hausaland all records of ancestry that did not line up with Islam practice were ignorantly destroyed.

In Yorubaland the works of Ajami were preserved against religious fanaticism but our own intra-conflicts and wars torched many palaces and thus ruined written but preserved records. As at 1950 there were still many Ajami works on Yoruba that were retrieved from the palace of Timi of Ede. Even as far away as Timbuktu, scholars found records of Yoruba scribes documented in the Ajami linguafranca.

The same damage done to Hausa treasures were also done in the far away Arabian lands where all records and artifacts of the people before Islam were completely destroyed leaving only Islam as the recognizable history and antiquity.

On the topic of nsibidi, i dont believe the claim is authentic given that prominent articles are missing in the record itself...and these are records which no native people will ever ignore to identify or feature because their daily life and survival depend on it. It will be asking someone to draw his face and when he finished there are no eyes. When asked why its not included he said he forgot. grin

Nsibidi is a noble work and the people that started should be commended for initiating a way to retrace steps and understand how their ancestors would have exchanged ideas.

Unfortunately riffraffs are turning it into badge of honor to mock those whose ancestors taught the Greeks how to navigate waters and read the horizon.

grin grin

1 Like

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by labani06(m): 7:10am On Dec 20, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

Ajami was the lingua franca of West Africa, what is referred as SUDAN BELT. It is the writing system of ancient Black Arabs.

Arab as an ethnicity is different from Arab as a religion. So when we say Ajami some people get scared by that word because they instantly mis interprete it to mean Islam.

Islam met Ajami already in use in West Africa. In fact spread of Islam was aided by literate scribes who recorded history and accounts of ancient times.

For instance in Hausaland all records of ancestry that did not line up with Islam practice were ignorantly destroyed.

In Yorubaland the works of Ajami were preserved against religious fanaticism but our own intra-conflicts and wars torched many palaces and thus ruined written but preserved records. As at 1950 there were still many Ajami works on Yoruba that were retrieved from the palace of Timi of Ede. Even as far away as Timbuktu, scholars found records of Yoruba scribes documented in the Ajami linguafranca.

The same damage done to Hausa treasures were also done in the far away Arabian lands where all records and artifacts of the people before Islam were completely destroyed leaving only Islam as the recognizable history and antiquity.

On the topic of nsibidi, i dont believe the claim is authentic given that prominent articles are missing in the record itself...and these are records which no native people will ever ignore to identify or feature because their daily life and survival depend on it. It will be asking someone to draw his face and when he finished there are no eyes. When asked why its not included he said he forgot. grin

Nsibidi is a noble work and the people that started should be commended for initiating a way to retrace steps and understand how their ancestors would have exchanged ideas.

Unfortunately riffraffs are turning it into badge of honor to mock those whose ancestors taught the Greeks how to navigate waters and read the horizon.

grin grin
You are correct my brother but why our fellow yoruba people stop from using ajami i heard the first yoruba bible was translated in ajami .but right now in hausa land we have alot of old people that dont know how to write in english they only know ajami .
Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by ImperialYoruba: 8:15am On Dec 20, 2018
labani06:

You are correct my brother but why our fellow yoruba people stop from using ajami i heard the first yoruba bible was translated in ajami .but right now in hausa land we have alot of old people that dont know how to write in english they only know ajami .

Please keep it that way, dont do what Yoruba did, learn from our mistake.

Any part of the world you know to have gone through colonization but is today standing on its own did so through language independence. In addition to the political or territorial independence, they got away from English and adopted an alternative but local language !

1 Like

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by superlightning: 8:33am On Dec 20, 2018
ImperialYoruba:

grin grin

insecure buffoon still pushing his agenda here in an Igbo thread. why not open a seperate thread on your ajami whatever and leave nsibidi to its indigenous users alone?

you are too insignificant to begin to question the authenticity of nsibidi use. open your own ajami thread and stop trying to be noticed. thank God for documented research....losers...:

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.philip-effiong.com/Nsibidi.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwi2vsXZ8K3fAhUMbVAKHeLjAjMQFjARegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1YDMy3VJZvhCFiyYTbRIv2

1 Like

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by superlightning: 8:35am On Dec 20, 2018
OP this link as well will also help. efforts are being made to restore and re-invent to the hidden and almost lost nsibidi.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://africa.si.edu/exhibits/inscribing/nsibidi.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwi2vsXZ8K3fAhUMbVAKHeLjAjMQFjAQegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw2cP3H3ATQpYiUxv-0iTYYd

1 Like

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by superlightning: 8:39am On Dec 20, 2018
Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by ImperialYoruba: 2:31pm On Dec 20, 2018
grin grin
Superlightning, somehow you are blind.

You are supplying to me now what i asked for and you first denied to me in previous posts. Beside that, I also foretold you what I expected to get....insults, vulgars, memes...im surprised Ibadan rooftops are not already splashed on here, or tribal marked faces. That really surprised me. Im not timid at all when it comes to flogging Ibo on internet, but for sake of my interest to debunk nsibidi as an oroginal work im going to bite tongue and focus.

Thanks for links. Ill be back. In fact, no....i wont be back, ill excuse myself from this thread...but ill open my own to debunk nsibidi. I recognize the works that has gone into the project and i give creadit to those pioneers. Nonetheless, it is not an antique material.

grin grin
Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by superlightning: 11:36pm On Dec 20, 2018
ImperialYoruba:
grin grin
Superlightning, somehow you are blind.

You are supplying to me now what i asked for and you first denied to me in previous posts. Beside that, I also foretold you what I expected to get....insults, vulgars, memes...im surprised Ibadan rooftops are not already splashed on here, or tribal marked faces. That really surprised me. Im not timid at all when it comes to flogging Ibo on internet, but for sake of my interest to debunk nsibidi as an oroginal work im going to bite tongue and focus.

Thanks for links. Ill be back. In fact, no....i wont be back, ill excuse myself from this thread...but ill open my own to debunk nsibidi. I recognize the works that has gone into the project and i give creadit to those pioneers. Nonetheless, it is not an antique material.

grin grin

go and die on top east matter, jobless afonja. your rant on naira land are inconsequential.

nsibidi was not a project, it was an ancient ideographic and logographic script. it has been reinvented today by researchers native to eastern Nigeria.
Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by googi: 12:51am On Dec 21, 2018
There are more people in Nigeria than Hausa Igbo and Yoruba.

Why is it so hard to give credit to whom credit is due : the Ikoi and Edgam around Nigeria and Cameroon. Then we can all share it as Africans.

Nsibidi is the pride of Africans period.
Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by superlightning: 7:25am On Dec 21, 2018
googi:

There are more people in Nigeria than Hausa Igbo and Yoruba.

Why is it so hard to give credit to whom credit is due : the Ikoi and Edgam around Nigeria and Cameroon. Then we can all share it as Africans.

Nsibidi is the pride of Africans period.

there is no source that says it actually originated from ekoi. credit was given to them simply because more nisbidi was found there.

my point? nsibidi transcends one ethnicity.... all the ideographic scripts were not made by just one tribe.

The ekoi, Igbo, Ibibio, efik are all nsibidi users and it became part of their culture. SIMPLE.

1 Like

Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by googi: 2:46pm On Dec 21, 2018
How do you dislodged stolen meat from the mouth of a cat?

superlightning:

there is no source that says it actually originated from ekoi. credit was given to them simply because more nisbidi was found there.

my point? nsibidi transcends one ethnicity.... all the ideographic scripts were not made by just one tribe.

The ekoi, Igbo, Ibibio, efik are all nsibidi users and it became part of their culture. SIMPLE.
Re: History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization by Ajuede: 8:12pm On Jun 20, 2022

Bishop Crowther worked with a team of literate Igbo missionaries/translators (including J. C. Taylor, who went on to finish his own Igbo translation of the New Testament) to produce the first Igbo primer. And they used an orthography that has since become obsolete.

If this is what you are understand as 'crowther taught the ibos the current ibo alphabets which they now use in spelling their names', then I fear you may be incapable of passing a verbal reasoning test. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Native Names And Their Meanings / Ooni Ogunwusi Wears Aare Crown For The First Time (photo) / Banyankole Tribe Where Bride's Aunt Has Sex With Groom To Test Sexual Prowess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.