Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,496 members, 7,826,870 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss (3927 Views)

Census Not Likely In 2017, Says NPC Boss / Our Economy Can't Take Care Of Senators Any Longer.... / Why Nigerian Economy Can't Sustain Bicameral System Of Government .... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by j1mmy: 2:20pm On Aug 27, 2015
Lack of family planning, lack of responsibility, backward and primitive beliefs that "god dey", lack of family planning and lack of population control causing a density explosion in Nigeria.

"The current population of Nigeria is such that the national economy appears incapable of supporting it," Chairman of the National Population Commission (NPC), Chief Eze Duruiheoma, said this on Wednesday.

Duruiheoma stated this in Abuja while receiving participants of the National Security Training seminar from the Defence Intelligence Agency on a visit to the NPC headquarters in Abuja.

The Chairman, who identified population statistics as key to nation building, said the size, composition, distribution and characteristics of Nigeria's population are crucial security issues which should be mainstreamed into efforts to build a secured nation.

According to him, the component of human population, impact directly on national security, the sheer size of Nigeria's population of over 160 million makes it a military force that cannot be ignored on the African continent.

While speaking on the 2016 census, which will be based on biometrics, he maintained that this will serve as a contribution to national security.

"As we move towards the conduct of the population and housing census in 2016 based on biometrics data capture, we are confident that its contribution to national security will be enormous. Our appeal to the public and all stakeholders is to see census as an economic exercise in which the data generated are used for planning purposes."

http://odili.net/news/source/2015/aug/26/605.html
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by INTROVERT(f): 2:21pm On Aug 27, 2015
we know the people guilty of this.. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by delishpot: 2:26pm On Aug 27, 2015
Wahala dey o. On the bright side we get ready soldiers to fight for the pockets of the powers that be.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by psucc(m): 2:27pm On Aug 27, 2015
The best solution is to send some of us for almajiri in Ghana, Togo, America, etc.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by Nobody: 2:27pm On Aug 27, 2015
I won't blame it on President Buhari. He only has one wife and few Children.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 27, 2015
lalasticlala ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shocked

"Lack of family planning, lack of responsibility, backward and primitive beliefs that "god dey", lack of family planning and lack of population control causing a density explosion in Nigeria".

God-dey sef shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by astrodome: 2:29pm On Aug 27, 2015
At the risk of sounding tribal, I would say that while it seems that Igbos, whether in the SE or based outside of the SE, have been able to devise a means to control their population, the other majority ethnic groups have not yet figured out how to do so. Religion and culture have been tools deployed to increase population in the North and South West, and with that have come continued or increasing poverty, especially in the North.

I understand that in Nigeria population determines how much money you get from the national purse, but such money have never been used to take care of the corresponding population of the receiving state or region; they have mostly been embezzled.

The Chinese, Japanese, Europeans and white America that have taken steps to reduce their population growth are not foolish. Igbos have learned from them, such that whereas our parents had 6 to 10 children a few decades ago, we the young ones, aged 40 years and below, now have an average of 3 kids per family. We may lose in the population-based sharing of the wealth in Nigeria, but with the continued dwindling of oil money we are going to be better off, being able to manage (educate and give a good living standard) our small families with the resources at our disposal.

I will not be surprised that if a clean and unbiased tribal-based census is conducted today, the Igbo population would be far lower than that of the Hausa-Fulani and Yoruba. This is because the Hausa-Fulani (90% muslim) and Yoruba (50%-60% muslim) societies still permit the marrying of multiple wives and, hence, giving birth to multiple children, and are less well travelled (traveling also contributes to reducing the population of an area) than their Igbo compatriots.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by astrodome: 2:31pm On Aug 27, 2015
BTW, if you have a large and PRODUCTIVE population (like the US; but mostly immigrants from Latina America, Africa and elsewhere are the ones causing the US population increase) then it is understandable. But when you have a large and UNPRODUCTIVE population (like Nigeria), then it is a time bomb waiting to explode.

China used to have a less productive population, hence they initiated their population control program. Even now that they have become productive, they would not be changing that program any time soon.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by CSTR2: 2:41pm On Aug 27, 2015
astrodome:
While it seems that Igbos, whether in the SE or based outside of the SE, have been able to devise a means to control their population, the other majority ethnic groups have not yet figured out how to do so. Religion and culture have been a tool to increase population in the North and South West, and with that have come continued or increasing poverty, especially in the North.

I understand that in Nigeria population determines how much money you get from the national purse, but such money have never been used to take care of the corresponding population of the receiving state or region; they have mostly been embezzled.

The Chinese, Japanese, Europeans and white America that have taken steps to reduce their population growth are not foolish. Igbos have learned from them, such that whereas our parents had 6 to 10 children a few decades ago, we the young ones, aged 40 years and below, now have an average of 3 kids per family. We may lose in the population-based sharing of the wealth in Nigeria, but with the continued dwindling of oil money we are going to be better off, being able to manage (educate and give a good living standard) our small families with the resource at our disposal.

I will not be surprised that if a clean and unbiased tribal-based census is conducted today, the Igbo population would be far lower than that of the Hausa-Fulani and Yoruba.
A situation where the average yoruba man has atleast an extra wife outside aside his legitimate wife, the population explosion in the south is not surprising.
Infact it is a normal cultural behaviour for any average man with some small loose change in his pockets in that part of nigeria to have illegitimate wives and kids.
Indiscipline and its resultant effects.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by mekadinho(f): 2:43pm On Aug 27, 2015
ppl go dey give birth lik fowl, send them to school, no, send them to learn handiwork, no. Their own duty na to dey born dey go, no plan @ all, nothing nothing. Nigeria govt should set a threshold on d number of children each parents r suppose to hv, pass it n face consequences. Rates of unemployed youths r increasing n so is crime rate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by omowolewa: 2:47pm On Aug 27, 2015
God will provide (I the voice of our gatekeeper who has 3 wives and 14 children)

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by kestolove95(m): 3:09pm On Aug 27, 2015
Its non of ma bizness
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by astrodome: 3:14pm On Aug 27, 2015
omowolewa:
God will provide (I the voice of our gatekeeper who has 3 wives and 14 children)

And your gate keeper is from where?
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by anulaxad(m): 3:15pm On Aug 27, 2015
astrodome:
While it seems that Igbos, whether in the SE or based outside of the SE, have been able to devise a means to control their population, the other majority ethnic groups have not yet figured out how to do so. Religion and culture have been tools deployed to increase population in the North and South West, and with that have come continued or increasing poverty, especially in the North.

The Chinese, Japanese, Europeans and white America that have taken steps to reduce their population growth are not foolish. Igbos have learned from them, such that whereas our parents had 6 to 10 children a few decades ago, we the young ones, aged 40 years and below, now have an average of 3 kids per family. We may lose in the population-based sharing of the wealth in Nigeria, but with the continued dwindling of oil money we are going to be better off, being able to manage (educate and give a good living standard) our small families with the resources at our disposal.

I will not be surprised that if a clean and unbiased tribal-based census is conducted today, the Igbo population would be far lower than that of the Hausa-Fulani and Yoruba. This is because the Hausa-Fulani (90% muslim) and Yoruba (50%-60% muslim) societies still permit the marrying of multiple wives and, hence, giving birth to multiple children, and are less well travelled (traveling also contributes to reducing the population of an area) than their Igbo compatriots.

Why must you bring ethnicity into this?

I'm adding your name to my thread immediately.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_population#/media/File:Population_density_map_of_Nigerian_states_-_English.png

What world I'm I living in, other than Lagos the two most densely populated states are Imo and Anambra. Honestly why are you so ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by chigoizie7(m): 3:19pm On Aug 27, 2015
Well, desperate time calls for desperate measures.

Permit me to say,

Allow the Nigerian army to go to boko boiz, without arms.(We all know the out come).

After that, allow the boko boiz to blow up some few states up north,(millions will die), then recruit some more soldiers to man the unaffected areas by boko.

With this, population is reduced drastically.

Try the above procedure every 2months,

Thank me after 2yrz, (when population must have reduced)

Bunch of imbeciles, large population my ass.

I hope u guys understood my jokes.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by asha80(m): 3:21pm On Aug 27, 2015
anulaxad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_states_by_population#/media/File:Population_density_map_of_Nigerian_states_-_English.png

What world I'm I living in, other than Lagos the two most densely populated states are Imo and Anambra. Honestly why are you so ignorant.

and you coup not see where he said Igbo fore fathers used to give birth to 6to 10 before?meaning that there was population explosion was back then ?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by astrodome: 3:51pm On Aug 27, 2015
anulaxad:

You do realize that you are the ignorant party here, right? Do you know what density means? Do you know the difference between population density and actual population? What is the size of Anambra and Imo states' land masses, as against their respective populations? Compare those to the size of Kano, Oyo etc, as against their populations.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by astrodome: 3:52pm On Aug 27, 2015
asha80:
and you coup not see where he said Igbo fore fathers used to give birth to 6to 10 before?meaning that there was population explosion was back then ?

That is not even the right answer for him. Please read my last response (before this one)

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by anulaxad(m): 4:10pm On Aug 27, 2015
astrodome:

You do know you are ignorant, right? Do you know what density means? Do you know the difference between population density and actual population? What is the size of Anambra and Imo states' land masses, as against their respective populations? Compare those to the size of Kano, Oyo etc, as against their populations.

I am an expert at Geography so I clearly know what the difference between population density and and population size. You can argue all you like, those states after Lagos are the most crowed, why because population control was not an issue at hand according to citizens living in those states.
Kano or Oyo is not as crowded as the states mentioned earlier. The whole point of population control is to watch out for space management and to avoid a denser population area per Km-sq.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_language
[/url]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruba_language

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hausa_language

Population of those who speak each language. There isn't a huge gap in terms of population size between both our languages.

What's more interesting is that there are millions of other speakers of Hausa across west Africa including Niger, and so of Yoruba in Benin and Togo, but Igbo is mainly or only spoken In Nigeria. So Stop your ethnic slurs.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by Nobody: 4:17pm On Aug 27, 2015
astrodome:

You do realize that you are the ignorant party here, right? Do you know what density means? Do you know the difference between population density and actual population? What is the size of Anambra and Imo states' land masses, as against their respective populations? Compare those to the size of Kano, Oyo etc, as against their populations.

told him
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by mikolo80: 4:26pm On Aug 27, 2015
astrodome:
At the risk of sounding tribal, I would say that while it seems that Igbos, whether in the SE or based outside of the SE, have been able to devise a means to control their population, the other majority ethnic groups have not yet figured out how to do so. Religion and culture have been tools deployed to increase population in the North and South West, and with that have come continued or increasing poverty, especially in the North.

Chinese men can't get wives cos they aborted all the girls

American population aging about to crash

Japan is bribing men and women to get pregnant

this mumu is talking nonsense

how did he rise to such a position of authority

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by mikolo80: 4:28pm On Aug 27, 2015
omowolewa:
is HE not providing
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 27, 2015
anulaxad:

I am an expert at Geography so I clearly know what the difference between population density and and population size. You can argue all you like, those states after Lagos are the most crowed, why because population control was not an issue at hand according to citizens living in those states.
Kano or Oyo is not as crowded as the states mentioned earlier. The whole point of population control is to watch out for space management and to avoid a denser population area per Km-sq.

[/url]

Population of those who speak each language. There isn't a huge gap in terms of population size between both our languages.

What's more interesting is that there are millions of other speakers of Hausa across west Africa including Niger, and so of Yoruba in Benin and Togo, but Igbo is mainly or only spoken In Nigeria. So Stop your ethnic slurs.
And you are a contributor to wikipedia. Chai.

Population is not talking about how crowded a place is. That is population Density.

In the Chart you provided, Lagos and Kano has over 9 Million. That is their population. It means by state, Lagos and Kano has the largest population.

Population Density measures how crowded a particular area is.

It is unfair to compare a particular location in a state to another state because the infrastructures and business activities in those areas differ. An Effective tool to compare the population density of two different state is by making use of all the land mass.

Lagos is more populated than Kano by density because Kano has a larger landmass over Lagos and not because Lagos has more building infrastructure than Kano.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by astrodome: 4:40pm On Aug 27, 2015
anulaxad:

[/url]

Dude, you are so, so ignorant, nearly an illiterate. For your education, when you have a small land mass (e.g., Anambra and Imo) and a mid sizable population (again e.g., Anambra and Imo), you have a high population density. The population of Imo and Anambra are smaller by far than those of Lagos and Kano and Oyo, but whereas Lagos also has a small land mass (hence high population density), Oyo and Kano have large land masses, hence lower population densities. Do you understand now? Olodo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by anulaxad(m): 4:45pm On Aug 27, 2015
victorels:

And you are a contributor to wikipedia. Chai.

Population is not talking about how crowded a place is. That is population Density.

In the Chart you provided, Lagos and Kano has over 9 Million. That is their population. It means by state, Lagos and Kano has the largest population.

Population Density measures how crowded a particular area is.

It is unfair to compare a particular location in a state to another state because the infrastructures and business activities in those areas differ. An Effective tool to compare the population density of two different state is by making use of all the land mass.

Lagos is more populated than Kano by density because Kano has a larger landmass over Lagos and not because Lagos has more building infrastructure than Kano.

Wow, your just lamenting everything that I have just said.

But I believe you are going of topic, the person is telling the Yorubas and Hausas to stop overpopulating, yet Ironically after Lagos the places that are having the most problems concerning population and controlling of resources is where the person himself is from as there is a massive amount of pressure on the resources available in those states.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by astrodome: 4:46pm On Aug 27, 2015
mikolo80:
Chinese men can't get wives cos they aborted all the girls

American population aging about to crash

Japan is bribing men and women to get pregnant

this mumu is talking nonsense

how did he rise to such a position of authority

1. At present, women are not critically lacking in China, where males account for 51.27% of the 1.34 billion people, while females make up 48.73%. If anything, there is no law that prevents Chinese men from marrying foreigners to make up the small (2.54%) shortfall. So you are raising a false alarm here.

2. Again, another false alarm. The American population is not about to crash. They have immigrants pumping in steadily; they just need to sift through and admit only the best and brightest immigrants. That is what some of the Green Card-based Visas (e.g., EB, NIW, etc) do.

3. I agree that Japan seems to have overdone their own population control.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by anulaxad(m): 4:58pm On Aug 27, 2015
astrodome:

Dude, you are so, so ignorant, nearly an illiterate. For your education, when you have a small land mass (e.g., Anambra and Imo) and a mid sizable population (again e.g., Anambra and Imo), you have a high population density. The population of Imo and Anambra are smaller by far than those of Lagos and Kano and Oyo, but whereas Lagos also has a small land mass (hence high population density), Oyo and Kano have large land masses, hence lower population densities. Do you understand now? Olodo

You see, you are just embarrassing yourself, what is the meaning of Ignorance? When you lack knowledge. What is the meaning of illiterate? when you cannot read and write. I have clearly shown that I am knowledgeable and that I can articulate myself with proper reasoning and evidence.

Stating the obvious such as that population density is less in Kano as they have bigger land mass is unbelievable, speaking like a kid will in no way make you you sound any smarter.

Those states: Anambra and Imo are under massive pressure due to there overpopulation, is Kano or Oyo?

Kano and Oyo can overpopulate themselves to the extent that they can become as densely populated and as crowded as Anambra and Imo but as of right now they are not. So stop arguing foolishly. You are saying the Hausas and Yorubas should stop overpopulating yet there states are as of right now ( listen this is coming from a Geography expert) are not under pressure in terms of resources or infrastructure due to overpopulation but those other states (Anambra and Imo) are.

I am informing you of information that may be hard for you to comprehend but I have explained in the most easiest of terms possible.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 27, 2015
anulaxad:

Wow, your just lamenting everything that I have just said.

But I believe you are going of topic, the person is telling the Yorubas and Hausas to stop overpopulating, yet Ironically after Lagos the places that are having the most problems concerning population and controlling of resources is where the person himself is from as there is a massive amount of pressure on the resources available in those states.

Yorubas do not even make upto 60% of the Population of Lagos. Commercial activities in the state attracted people from all over Nigeria into Lagos. Telling Yoruba people to stop over populating Lagos is an Insult.

You said that Kano is 7 times less than Lagos because of it land mass and you are still saying that Kano is should stop the over growing population. That is a fallacy.

The best way to control population is to decentralize our commercial cities. That would stop people from migrating to those tiny landmass commercial cities like Lagos, Calabar, etc.

Then teach those Hausa people that they do not need to give birth to 100 children each in other to cover their Landmass. All they need to do is to change their mentality and see migrants as their colleagues and allow them to develop the land mass and harness the resources in those vast landmass.

For your Information, South East has more population Density than the North and the West because they have a very small land mass.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by astrodome: 5:02pm On Aug 27, 2015
victorels:

For your Information, South East has more population Density than the North and the West because they have a very small land mass.

QED. Thank you
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by asha80(m): 5:03pm On Aug 27, 2015
anulaxad:

You see, you are just embarrassing yourself, what is the meaning of Ignorance? When you lack knowledge. What is the meaning of illiterate? when you cannot read and write. I have clearly shown that I am knowledgeable and that I can articulate myself with proper reasoning and evidence.

Stating the obvious such as that population density is less in Kano as the have bigger land mass is unbelievable, speaking like a kid will in no way make you you sound any smarter.

Those states: Anambra and Imo are under massive pressure due to there overpopulation, is Kano or Oyo?

Kano and Oyo can overpopulate themselves to the extent that they can become as densely populated and as crowded as Anambra and Imo but as of right now they are not. So stop arguing foolishly. You are saying the Hausas and Yorubas should stop overpopulating yet there states are as of right now ( listen this is coming from a Geography expert) are not under pressure in terms of resources or infrastructure due to overpopulation but those other states (Anambra and Imo) are.

I am informing you of information that may be hard for you to comprehend but I have explained in the most easiest of terms possible.
the national population man talks about overpopulating the country vis a vis resources not individual states
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by anulaxad(m): 5:04pm On Aug 27, 2015
victorels:

Yorubas do not even make upto 60% of the Population of Lagos. Commercial activities in the state attracted people from all over Nigeria into Lagos. Telling Yoruba people to stop over populating Lagos is an Insult.

You said that Kano is 7 times less than Lagos because of it land mass and you are still saying that Kano is should stop the over growing population. That is a fallacy.

The best way to control population is to decentralize our commercial cities. That would stop people from migrating to those tiny landmass commercial cities like Lagos, Calabar, etc.

Then teach those Hausa people that they do not need to give birth to 100 children each in other to cover their Landmass. All they need to do is to change their mentality and see migrants as their colleagues and allow them to develop the land mass and harness the resources in those vast landmass.

In bold I absolutely agree.

Oh I see I think your confused, I'm the one defending the Yorubas and Hausas theology that the other person is claiming.
Re: Nigeria's Economy Can't Cope With Current Population, NPC Boss by omowolewa: 5:08pm On Aug 27, 2015
HE is providing only they complain the its not enough
mikolo80:
is HE not providing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nnpc Board Under Former President Goodluck Jonathan And President Buhari / See What Is Going On In BIG BROTHER NIGERIA / Will Nigeria March Into Cameroon Like In Gambia....??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.