Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,155 members, 7,815,025 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (783915 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mekurexx: 10:14am On Oct 15, 2015
Gurus in the house, who will be kind and resourceful enough to help me read through, criticize my SOP & cover letter for my msc application. Schools: university of central missouri, california state uni-LA, west texas a&m. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MrChris1(m): 10:18am On Oct 15, 2015
insectide:

I am planning on spring admission, but I have a different I-20 now.

Better.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 10:22am On Oct 15, 2015
Mekurexx:
Gurus in the house, who will be kind and resourceful enough to help me read through, criticize my SOP & cover letter for my msc application. Schools: university of central missouri, california state uni-LA, west texas a&m. Thanks

Pm any of your choice below;

slimmy05, godG, Sirriddy, djmakson, mystique, imperiouxx, Ojap, bigfrancis, profojah, DeeTus bbdd
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by anikemoses(m): 12:26pm On Oct 15, 2015
Canberra55:
Is TOeFL mandatory for a Nigerian going for an undergraduate degree?
Yes,except u want to take the ESL classes
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by anikemoses(m): 12:27pm On Oct 15, 2015
Walspring:

Is it from the beginning or after first year ?
from beginning,they will even pay for ur dom
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 12:43pm On Oct 15, 2015
anikemoses:
from beginning,they will even pay for ur dom

How about 1030 but overall is 1570
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by anikemoses(m): 12:47pm On Oct 15, 2015
Walspring:

How about 1030 but overall is 1570
that should qualify for half tuition waiver
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 1:33pm On Oct 15, 2015
anikemoses:
that should qualify for half tuition waiver

Are you serious? Lemme pm you..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by coobboy(m): 2:26pm On Oct 15, 2015
Walspring:

Nah 650 each be that ooo..
lol i see am too, but nothing is impossible sha.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 3:48pm On Oct 15, 2015
To those who contacted me privately regarding the credit card issue, I will respond to you guys as soon as possible.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 15, 2015
Mekurexx:
Hello, are you looking for a direct scholarship, admission then scholarship or just admission only?

This is really important so as to crave how the structure of the PS would be.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 5:55pm On Oct 15, 2015
coobboy:

lol i see am too, but nothing is impossible sha.

Yes and with God all things are possible
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by petreli12: 7:46pm On Oct 15, 2015
Hello great people. I just want to ask if anyone here is running a funded PhD program in any US university. I am currently concluding my MS program in Nigeria and would like to proceed to the US for a PhD in Plant Pathology/Microbiology. I just want to ask these questions:
First, did you contact a potential supervisor before applying (I have sent a couple of emails with no positive feedback).
Second, if no, how did you go about the admission process? (Note: I wrote the GRE test last year scoring 307, but the score isn't too great for a PhD position I assume)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bbdd: 8:14pm On Oct 15, 2015
petreli12:
Hello great people. I just want to ask if anyone here is running a funded PhD program in any US university. I am currently concluding my MS program in Nigeria and would like to proceed to the US for a PhD in Plant Pathology/Microbiology. I just want to ask these questions:
First, did you contact a potential supervisor before applying (I have sent a couple of emails with no positive feedback).
Second, if no, how did you go about the admission process? (Note: I wrote the GRE test last year scoring 307, but the score isn't too great for a PhD position I assume)

I am.
Do you have specific questions?
Type them here.
Cheers.

P. 'S Bigfrancis21 wrote a note about contacting potential supervisors some time ago. The key is to show competence in research, show that you have read the professors work, and also not hint about being desperate for funding. It's a fine line.
Once again, if you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by petreli12: 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2015
bbdd:

I am.
Do you have specific questions?
Type them here.
Cheers.

thank you Big Boss.
First: did you contact potential supervisors (Professors) before applying for admission?
2: were you admitted based on your B.Sc grade or both B.Sc and MSc?
3: what's d ideal GRE score range (STEM courses) for admission to a mid-ranked US uni?
4: what's the name of your Uni and is your program fully funded?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bbdd: 8:47pm On Oct 15, 2015
petreli12:

thank you Big Boss.
First: did you contact potential supervisors (Professors) before applying for admission?
2: were you admitted based on your B.Sc grade or both B.Sc and MSc?
3: what's d ideal GRE score range (STEM courses) for admission to a mid-ranked US uni?
4: what's the name of your Uni and is your program fully funded?

1. No. Not necessarily in the pharmaceutical field. But in biomolecular sciences, it is very common. I advice you to check grad cafe for forums in your field for intending PhD students. They have good resources that can help you.
2. I have a Bachelor of pharmacy degree. Didn't have a masters before getting admitted to the PhD program. Also, I have research experience.
3. Ideal GRE score is >310. This is subjective because the whole application is usually looked at. So one area doesn't determine who gets in or not
The idea is to have a good application overall. Unfortunately, gre scores are a good indicator of intelligence to admission officers so you just got to have a good GRE score.
4. Answered already.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 15, 2015
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mekurexx: 9:07pm On Oct 15, 2015
I have already drafted it out based on the requirements and content set out by the schools and I didnt consider the scholarship thing tho. but I think admission and then scholarship is fine. can I PM you to send the draft? tanks
DeeTus:
Hello, are you looking for a direct scholarship, admission then scholarship or just admission only?

This is really important so as to crave how the structure of the PS would be.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mekurexx: 9:18pm On Oct 15, 2015
Can you take time out to review my SOP sir @bbdd

I sent you a PM also @slimmy05
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bbdd: 1:22am On Oct 16, 2015
Mekurexx:
Can you take time out to review my SOP sir @bbdd

I sent you a PM also @slimmy05

OK send it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by ikaboy: 10:28am On Oct 16, 2015
Hi guys, good to be here again . pls I need some clarifications.
I have my Masters from a naija univerisity and seek ing to pursue my PHD in d states.

I currently have a 2 year visiting Visa and just came back to Nigeria last week after the first visit.

While their, I visited a school and my desire to pursue my PHD in such environment wouldn't be a wrong one I must confess.

A friend told me to do a second visit and try and apply over there in d states for my student visa. How feasible is that or i must do it in Nigeria??

Does my current visa put me on any vantage position to secure a student visa if offered an admission

Can I have a summary of the required documents to pursue an admission?

Is GRE mandatory, cos d school visited did not mention that.?

Brothers and sisters ur candid input will not go unappreciated.

CC: imperioux, walspring, and other gurus in da house.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mekurexx: 11:07am On Oct 16, 2015
Done. sent you a PM
bbdd:

OK send it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by justwise(m): 11:55am On Oct 16, 2015
bigfrancis21:
To those who contacted me privately regarding the credit card issue, I will respond to you guys as soon as possible.

bigfrancis21 you have been very helpful to many people here for years but this issue of credit card for foreign students is a bad one and it will do more harm than good please lets not encourage it here.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 12:54pm On Oct 16, 2015
justwise:

bigfrancis21 you have been very helpful to many people here for years but this issue of credit card for foreign students is a bad one and it will do more harm than good please lets not encourage it here.

Thank you.

Credit cards aren't just a bad idea for foreign students - it tends to be a bad idea for most students. Plenty of Americans get in to trouble because they rack up debt on their credit cards because they aren't managing their money well.

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dicapino: 1:28pm On Oct 16, 2015
Any 1 got info...on Texas A&M Kingsville. ...funding and the likes. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by justwise(m): 1:29pm On Oct 16, 2015
LagosNIV:

Credit cards aren't just a bad idea for foreign students - it tends to be a bad idea for most students. Plenty of Americans get in to trouble because they rack up debt on their credit cards because they aren't managing their money well.

That is exactly my point!

Foreign student and credit card shouldn't be found in the same sentence.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by hayaorbah: 1:37pm On Oct 16, 2015
please house, a quick one here. Pls hw much is the sevis fee
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by happney65: 2:17pm On Oct 16, 2015
hayaorbah:
please house, a quick one here. Pls hw much is the sevis fee

200$
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by MsNas(f): 2:58pm On Oct 16, 2015
justwise:

That is exactly my point!

Foreign student and credit card shouldn't be found in the same sentence.

That's not entirely true. While I agree that credit cards are bad for people who don't have their finances sorted out well (especially students... Either foreign or domestic) if you have the discipline to handle your finances well. Why not?

I have not 1, not two credit cards with very very very tidy limits but I don't have any debts on them. Why? Because I learned how to manage my finances. I don't go around buying $300 purses or flying across the world using credit. I do not charge anything in my credit card that I don't have the money for. I pay in full on every one of them each month. Why do I have it? I need the credit score and many of them give very nice rewards for using those card.

So if you're international and can handle you card well, why not? The whole statement of Foreign student and credit cards not being found in the same statement is just making a moutain out of a molehill. IJS!

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.