Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,845 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:56 PM

Madonna Baby Drama - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Madonna Baby Drama (1229 Views)

Drama As Wife Catches Husband Shopping With Girlfriend (photos) / Terror In Paris: Suspects Involved In Hostage Drama (live) / Madonna Loses Malawi Adoption Bid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Madonna Baby Drama by DrDWelz(m): 3:43am On Mar 31, 2009
I am a celebrity and I want to adopt a poor African child. But why are people so repulsed?

I got to thinking about this issue a few days ago after reading a status message on a friend’s Facebook page that read, “I'm not sure how I feel about this whole "I'm so rich I'm going to adopt a poor African child" thing.” Today another friend’s read, “Madonna: please leave the African orphans alone, you worthless attention seeker, u are doing the world no good with your publicity stunts, clean up ur marital mess before bringing innocent african kids into ur home, ”

Some people, at least a few of my friends, have a basic knee-jerk repulsive reaction, or as some ethicists have described, “yuck factor ” response to the news of Madonna wanting to adopt yet another poor African orphan. With the media flurry fanning flames of controversy, we itch for glimpses into the many unanswered and unanswerable questions. What is Madonna true motive? Is she simply yearning for some attention? Does she really care? The list of questions is unending. However, the bottom line is that we find it difficult to shake the thoughts of imbalance of power, class, socioeconomic and racial categories that the scenario evokes. Madonna, a rich white western celebrity wants to adopt a poor black African orphan.

The yuckiness expressed by my two friends, both of African decent, is most certainly not universal. I suspect the initial reaction people have to this scenario is dictated by what side of this divide they most relate with. I think exploring the reasons for our initial responses in greater depth and considering empirical information may lead to reconsidering our previously held positions.

Here are some simple basic facts. There are millions of orphan in Africa today, many of whom have lost both parents. The traditional systems of families and communities taking on the responsibility for orphans have in recent times been threatened by the HIV/AIDS. Millions of children are left alone to care for themselves and siblings, and some are privileged to be housed in orphanages. Orphanages are usually under-resourced, understaffed and teeming with children. I need not continue spouting statistics and cliches; but my point is that the reality for so many children is life in despicable situations. Some would say, "But can such children not have some level of happiness and satisfaction in their lives?" They absolutely can; the human spirit has a way of making do with whatever life/fate brings.

However, I have a very difficult time justifying depriving such a child of a chance of having a better life. I think having the luxury of stable meals, attention of care givers, and education, to say the least, qualifies as a 'better life.' Adoption is the least terrible of the few options available to these children. Irrespective of the dodgy motives of Madonna or any other adopting parent, I think the best interest of the child should be the ultimate trump card.

I am certainly not advocating for the removal of kids from poor families simply because they would have a better life in a richer one. The calculation is, however, a whole lot simpler when you talk of orphans with virtually no other options.

http://africa-onecountryaweek..com/
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 31, 2009
Good point.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by Horus(m): 10:23am On Mar 31, 2009
Africa is currently being scrutinized for its procedures for adoptions by whites parents. Improvements must be made to a “corrupt” system that is rumored to accommodate illegal adoption transactions and even “stolen” children who are quickly purchased by whites Americans and Europeans. Also most of the white Americans and Europeans suffer from a sense of superiority, as if they are doing the world a favor by adopting the poor African baby who otherwise might have been living on the streets.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by DrDWelz(m): 10:43am On Mar 31, 2009
I agree that adoption regulations systems in many African countries are quite lax. A recent BBC audio documentary reported that some so-called orphanages and international adoption agencies lure poor parents to give up their children for financial reward. Those actions are morally reprehensible. I am not advocation trading or selling of kids. There should be regulations in place!

I however, do not see a problem with requiring a donation token to an orphanage from which a child is adopted. I don't see it as buying the child but as a sign of appreciation.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by Horus(m): 9:04pm On Mar 31, 2009
Madonna urged not to adopt Malawian girl

Sunday, 29 March 2009

Pop singer Madonna should end her plans to adopt a young Malawian girl and let the child remain with her extended family, a British charity says.
Save the Children spokesman Dominic Nutt said in a news release 3-year-old Mercy James would be best served to stay with family members as opposed to be adopted by the Material Girl singer, CNN reported Sunday.
The best place for a child is in his or her family in their home community, Nutt said. Most children in orphanages have one parent still living, or have an extended family that can care for them in the absence of their parents.
Madonna, 50, already has one adopted Malawian child, David Banda, and two children of her own. The singer is divorced from British director Guy Ritchie.
Nutt said foreign adoptions should only take place when the child in question has no available family members, CNN said.
International adoption can actually exacerbate the problem it hopes to solve, Nutt said. The very existence of orphanages encourages poor parents to abandon children in the hope that they will have a better life.

Source: http://www.redorbit.com/news/entertainment/1661848/madonna_urged_not_to_adopt_malawian_girl/index.html
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by DrDWelz(m): 3:09pm On Apr 03, 2009
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by spikedcylinder: 8:49pm On Apr 03, 2009
Actually, the key feature here is Madonna's motive which I suspect is what got people nettled in the first place. Is she doing this to expand her family, give a wanting child all the motherly love he/she can possibly need or is she being an attention LovePeddler again? She organised a benefit last year for orphaned kids in Malawi or something like that and raised almost $4m. People are asking questions about what happened to the money and what it was used for as no development has been seen.

The law states that you need to live in Malawi for 18-24 months before you're eligible for adoption, why could she not do that if she had truly fallen in love with this child? In the least, why couldn't she try?

Everyone knows Madonna is a maniac and its very hard to see her as a humanitarian.

I'm guessing things will be different if this was Jolie.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by kadman(m): 9:55pm On Apr 03, 2009
THIS IS THE MOST STUPID THING I HAVE EVER SEEN - They say Madonna is an attention LovePeddler ? Someone who was going to adopt a child,providing her have a better life than she could ever have. For goodness sakes the girl was in an orphanage ! All of a sudden the grandmother comes out of nowhere saying she wants the child back,who's the attention LovePeddler now !?!
I laugh at Malawi's foolishness,a country in poverty and ruins from HIV is turning down someone who wants to take away one less mouth to feed.
I can't wait for the backlash,international communties would start turning their backs on the country. Madonna f~ucking brought the plight of the country to the limelight,now they bite their hand that fed them,they are fu~cked,and not in the good way !
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by kadman(m): 10:01pm On Apr 03, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Everyone knows Madonna is a maniac and its very hard to see her as a humanitarian.

I'm guessing things will be different if this was Jolie.

What is maniac about Madonna ? And she's not claiming to be a humanitarian,she just wants to adopt ONE child she loves not save the world,she's taking great care of the one she adopted before,he has 3 nannies for pete's sake !
Madonna has survived 25 years of adversity,I hope this girl even lives to 15.
And why would it be easier for Jolie ? That would make it her 7th kid,and Madonna's 4th, the child would have a better life with Madonna with MORE attention. Jolie would also be breaking the law fair and square.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by spikedcylinder: 10:04pm On Apr 04, 2009
Shortly before she turned 50, there was an appreciation thread and I remember you were there, kadman. I am one of her biggest fans this side of the planet but when it comes to issues like this, sentimentality should be kept in the back seat.

Yes, Madonna is maniacal. If she isn't, she wont look the way she does at her age and won't still be at the top more that 25 years later.

Plus, please stop saying she loves the child because she doesn't. If she did, she will do anything within her powers to get the girl into her home and that includes complying with the rules. As far as I'm concerned, the only efforts she made towards adopting this child were hiring her all seeing lawyer, getting on a plane to Malawi and dumping Jesus Luz in the process. smiley

Re: Madonna Baby Drama by kadman(m): 2:10pm On Apr 05, 2009
On the contrary it's really all about sentimentality for me, if it was someone I didn't know/didn't like,I won't even be aware of the whole brouhaha. But I can still be open minded enough to realise Madonna would provide this child the best life she would ever have.
And while we are on the issue of sentiments,do you think if it were a normal woman who wasn't a celebrity with no eyes of the media on them Malawi won't have handed the kid over pronto ? Orphanges need people to adpot in Western countries where the kids fare better than Malawi.

And what is maniac about being at the top of your game no matter the age. That goes to perseverance & hardwork after 25 years in your career,and looking good at 50 is what everyone should strive at - celeb or not. Seriously where those all the "Madonna is a maniac" points you could come up with ?? I thought you'd throw some Erotica Era stuff at me.

Madonna has noticed the child since 2007,but she wasn't old enough to travel or something like that,so for the last 2 years she's been keeping her eye out for her,that is love.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by MadMax1(f): 5:15pm On Apr 05, 2009
And what is staying in the country 12-24 months prior to adoption meant to accomplish? It proves what? Does what,for whom? It's an inpractical,unneccesary rule. If I had a family of 8 kids and fell for an orphan in Malawi and wanted to love him or her half to death, I should pack my husband and my brood and live in Malawi for two years?What about my career,and other stuff I can't do from Malawi? Don't other countries have more reasonable ways of determining parental suitability?

I read Madonna being intervied about motherhood once, a long time ago, and was pleasantly surprised. I expected shallow, and saw a lot of depth and wisdom. You don't need to be a saint to parent. If she loves the child, she should have her. Unfortunately this one has family and she should have long let go. But her not staying two years in some godforsaken country doesn't mean she doesn't love the kid.

Sorry Madonna darling. Oluwa a she eleyi to da. Pele.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by spikedcylinder: 9:45am On Apr 06, 2009
kadman:

On the contrary it's really all about sentimentality for me, if it was someone I didn't know/didn't like,I won't even be aware of the whole brouhaha.

Fair enough.

kadman:

But I can still be open minded enough to realise Madonna would provide this child the best life she would ever have.

Sure, Madonna will provide everything this child will ever need materially but what about other aspects of life this child needs to grow into a normal adult? E.g, unrestricted love from family who actually love and care? Not one trying to prove a point to the media? After she adopted David, the boy's father came out crying saying he wasn't aware his son was being taken away from him forever. He had been offered money, given a lot of sweet talk but he didn't really know the implication of what was being done because he's an illiterate. When Madonna was asked how she keeps David in touch with his roots and family, she told the press she had a map of Africa in this bedroom with arrows pointing at Malawi! Arrows!  cheesy cheesy cheesy

kadman:

And while we are on the issue of sentiments,do you think if it were a normal woman who wasn't a celebrity with no eyes of the media on them Malawi won't have handed the kid over pronto ? Orphanges need people to adpot in Western countries where the kids fare better than Malawi.

Yes, I think if it wasn't a celebrity the kid wouldn't have been handed over like a cookie either way. The spot light has been on Malawi and its adoption laws since Aunty Madonna bought David Banda 2 years ago. It was because she was a celebrity thats why David Banda was almost given over to her in wrapping paper giving the world and impression that children can be bought from Malawi. Meanwhile, before Madonna, thousands of wanting parents have had to follow the rules to adopt children, why should her case be different?

kadman:

And what is maniac about being at the top of your game no matter the age. That goes to perseverance & hardwork after 25 years in your career,and looking good at 50 is what everyone should strive at - celeb or not. Seriously where those all the "Madonna is a maniac" points you could come up with ?? I thought you'd throw some Erotica Era stuff at me.

Being manic doesn't always have to be a bad thing. When I referred to her as maniacal, my point was to portray her as an extremely enthused woman who does everything(!) within her power to get what she wants including buying children. smiley

kadman:

Madonna has noticed the child since 2007,but she wasn't old enough to travel or something like that,so for the last 2 years she's been keeping her eye out for her,that is love.

What?!?!? shocked shocked Mercy (the new girl) is three years old now. If she noticed the child two years ago, then she must have been old enough to travel seeing as David Banda was the same age at the time. Delayed love perhaps?
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by spikedcylinder: 9:53am On Apr 06, 2009
Mad_Max:

And what is staying in the country 12-24 months prior to adoption meant to accomplish? It proves what? Does what,for whom? It's an inpractical,unneccesary rule. If I had a family of 8 kids and fell for an orphan in Malawi and wanted to love him or her half to death, I should pack my husband and my brood and live in Malawi for two years?What about my career,and other stuff I can't do from Malawi? Don't other countries have more reasonable ways of determining parental suitability?

Max, they might be stupid laws but they are still the laws in Malawi. I see what you mean but that will entail revisiting adoption laws and editing them but while those laws still stand, Madonna had better stick to it. While she's at it, if its too difficult to try and comply (I'm guessing an exception could have been made if she had managed to stay just two months) then she should just adopt a child from plain old America. smiley
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by spikedcylinder: 10:05am On Apr 06, 2009
Plus, Madonna is a single mother now. There's nowhere in the world where adoption is easy for single mothers. smiley
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by Nobody: 12:10pm On Apr 06, 2009
why adopt a child or chil'ren if you are going to get maids to look after them. it doesnt make sense.
the whole point of adopting is to give the child(ren) your undivided attention love and care.
madonna makes adopting/adoption look like an accessory. . . . . . . . . . . walk into a shop, see something that i like, point at it then have it delivered!

if she cares so much about the welfare of chil'ren in malawi i would suggest she increase the alms she gives to them.
another thing that may work against her is the fact that she belongs to a wierd sect.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by MadMax1(f): 3:16pm On Apr 06, 2009
@OMO IBO
What weird sect?

spikedcylinder:

When Madonna was asked how she keeps David in touch with his roots and family, she told the press she had a map of Africa in this bedroom with arrows pointing at Malawi! Arrows! cheesy cheesy cheesy

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin
She was kidding, right?
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by kadman(m): 4:47pm On Apr 06, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Plus, Madonna is a single mother now. There's nowhere in the world where adoption is easy for single mothers. smiley

Well that's true

spikedcylinder:

When Madonna was asked how she keeps David in touch with his roots and family, she told the press she had a map of Africa in this bedroom with arrows pointing at Malawi! Arrows!  cheesy cheesy cheesy[/color]

Ha ha ! That's mad funny,and that exactly a thing Madonna would say,to be honest that's why I the woman,but on a serious note,she said one of the reasons for adpoting Mercy was so David wouldn't feel alone,you know as a black kid in a white world,and  get to be sibiling with someone from the same country,isn't that saner than Jolie,who wants to raise a human zoo in her home.

Being manic doesn't always have to be a bad thing. When I referred to her as maniacal, my point was to portray her as an extremely enthused woman who does everything(!) within her power to get what she wants including buying children. smiley

Very true on that score

What?!?!? shocked shocked Mercy (the new girl) is three years old now. If she noticed the child two years ago, then she must have been old enough to travel seeing as David Banda was the same age at the time. Delayed love perhaps?

[/quote}

I guess she couldn't adpot 2 kids so close together,she met Mercy when she was in the process of adpoting David,guess she couldn't adpot 2 so close together,even 2 years apart and see all the media backlash. . .
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by kadman(m): 4:59pm On Apr 06, 2009
Mad_Max:

@OMO IBO
What weird sect?

He's probably talking about her religion which is Kabalah,that has nothing to do with anything
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked grin
She was kidding, right?

Some how I don't think she was grin
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by vescucci(m): 12:00am On Apr 07, 2009
I like madonna, at least the madonna from before I was born, but from the things she says and does recently, either her brain is corroding like her talents or she's just the most condescending, elitist, racist bitch trying to buy our hearts with cheap tricks like adopting kids from malawi. Stick to kabala and retire or die like Monroe.

My word, I'm pissed.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by spikedcylinder: 8:08am On Apr 07, 2009
Lol. Easy, vesc. grin

I think the weird sect Omo Ibo was referring to is Kaballah. Nothing weird about that though. tongue
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by SisiJinx: 8:26am On Apr 07, 2009
Whoa!

Never seen Vesc like this before. . . I like it!!! cheesy cheesy

Seriously though I have to disagree with the adoption for publicity stance. . . not because I don't think it is what she is doing but because in the long run, does is really matter?

A child has been adopted. . . his chances of making it in life has increased. For me, that trumps any cheap publicity motives she may have. So If it is publicity that will make more people adopt helpless children, I say CRANK UP THE PUBLICITY MACHINE!!!

Besides, how many people have changed their mind over going to a concert or buying a CD because someone adopted a child? If people can be that easily moved into doing something they weren't gonna do then. . . then I think the problem is not with Madonna.

Oh by the way. . . can't stand Madonna, there is something about her that bothers me. angry
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by spikedcylinder: 1:04pm On Apr 07, 2009
Madonna in Pieces.

Madonna is said to be "in pieces" following the news on Friday that her application to adopt a second Malawian child had been rejected, insiders have told the Mail On Sunday. "Madonna is in absolute pieces. She is devastated, this is the first time she has not got something she longed for," a source explained. "Lourdes will also be devastated. She helped get a room ready for Mercy [the four-year-old child Madonna was hoping to adopt] and chose clothes for her." However, support for the queen of pop has come from an unlikely source, ex-husband Guy Ritchie. "Madonna is a fantastic and loving mother who cares deeply about her own children, and children who may need additional help and support. I fully supported Madonna in her decision to apply for this adoption, and I am saddened that her application has been rejected," Guy revealed in statement. "She is motivated only by being a caring parent who seeks to share some of the advantages and opportunities that her life has given her. This time it did not work out, but there will be other opportunities and I wish her well in them. She is a great mum."

http://www.handbag.com/celebrity/Madonna-in-pieces/v1

Awww. . . . .I now feel sorry for her. embarassed

Re: Madonna Baby Drama by kadman(m): 5:24pm On Apr 07, 2009
I don't know why people would even suggest that it's a publicity stunt,the woman had one of the best selling albums of last year and broke a record ( set by herself ) by having the most sucssesful tour of a solo artist of all times,what the hell does she  need publicity for ?
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by kadman(m): 5:56pm On Apr 07, 2009
Madonna Is Soooo Over Those Dumb Asses in Malawi

Proving once again that she is a survivor,Madonna was out in the town last night with designer Stella McCartney. . . and looking good wink

Re: Madonna Baby Drama by bluespice(f): 11:07pm On Apr 07, 2009
she's behaving like a spoilt kid
how does her love flow for a child she hasnt spent any considerable amount of time with?
granted the laws might be a tad bit ridiculous but thats y they r called laws
the least she could do for a child she 'loves' so much is to spend an amount of time with her
u cant just go to africa, see a cute girl n decide pronto u want her
she's got family in this case grandparents
her becoming a foster child to a pop star might change her life for good,
but will she be given the option to relate with her grandparents?
to learn her culture?
to know her roots?

she sure wouldnt learn all that by staring at arrows pointing to a spot on some map!
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by spikedcylinder: 9:34am On Apr 08, 2009
kadman:

I don't know why people would even suggest that it's a publicity stunt,the woman had one of the best selling albums of last year and broke a record ( set by herself ) by having the most sucssesful tour of a solo artist of all times,what the hell does she  need publicity for ?

Its a known fact that Madonna is an attention LovePeddler. Simple.
She even says so herself sef.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by AngieFan(f): 10:46am On Apr 08, 2009
My heart bleeds at the thought of the lost chance and opportunity for little Mercy. Anyone whose sees current pics of Baby David can not deny that the child is flourishing and enjoying the life of the privileged. One can only wonder what will become of Mercy as she continues life in a disease and rat infested orphanage. smh. God bless the children of Malawi.

spikedcylinder:

Its a known fact that Madonna is an attention LovePeddler. Simple.
She even says so herself sef.

LMAO! Did she really? That's so funny. I like her even more now because she isn't in denial.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by spikedcylinder: 2:43pm On Apr 08, 2009
Yes she did o, she said each time the media attention isn't on her, she feels like she's drowning and she usually does something to turn the lenses back on her. cheesy
She said that a long time ago though, I think in 2003 when her "Music" single came out.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:00pm On Apr 08, 2009
nonsense yi noni lo shey tititi that her marriage went up in flames. Not everyone is as understanding as Brad.

she should be focusing on her tour and not this madness. Send money if you have to, help build their village. Leave the kids alone.
Re: Madonna Baby Drama by Nobody: 10:01pm On Apr 08, 2009
I agree with Spikey on this. . . .lady needs to go and chill. . . she's getting too old for this kinda stuff.

@TOH
dnt kill me oh, she's still okay grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Why Are The Talibans Killing Muslims In Paskistan? / South Africa Invited To Join Bric Group / Gaddafi Captured!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.