Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,784 members, 7,810,045 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:17 PM

Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? (28190 Views)

Help!!..did I Marry The Wrong Lady? / What Would You Do In This Situation? / Men, What Would You Do In This Situation? (snapshot) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by sundayslim(m): 8:41am On Aug 29, 2015
My landlord and his wife, along with some other neighbors think I'm a wicked person that doesn't like children. This is because I don't allow their children come to play in my apartment. Let me tell you the short story:

I moved in about 7 months ago, and my landlord lives just beside my flat. Everyday, his children (ages 2, 6 and 9) always come to knock that they want to come and play. Sometimes they say they want to watch cartoons since I have a dstv.

The problem is, I live alone, I'm single and I don't have any children for them to play with. I spend most of my time at work except weekends when I love to cook. The children usually come during weekends.

I decided not to let them come and play because I've been hearing about "65 yr old rapes this", " 25 yr old defines that ". I'm still very young, and please don't get me wrong: I'm not saying I have plans to defile anyone's child or that I'm capable of doing that.

I usually see these children going to other flats and other houses on the street to " play" and I don't want a case where someone will defile any of them and I automatically become a suspect, that's why I decided not to let them come in. In fact, when they knock, I don't even answer once I know it's them.

Now, people in the area are saying I'm a bad person that's why I don't like children. I don't want to tell them my reasons.

Dear nairalanders, did I do the right thing? Is there a better way of handling this situation?
Please advice.

Cc: Lalasticlala

225 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by realdee44(f): 9:11am On Aug 29, 2015
sundayslim:
My landlord and his wife, along with some other neighbors think I'm a wicked person that doesn't like children. This is because I don't allow their children come to play in my apartment. Let me tell you the short story:

I moved in about 7 months ago, and my landlord lives just beside my flat. Everyday, his children (ages 2, 6 and 9) always come to knock that they want to come and play. Sometimes they say they want to watch cartoons since I have a dstv.

The problem is, I live alone, I'm single and I don't have any children for them to play with. I spend most of my time at work except weekends when I love to cook. The children usually come during weekends.

I decided not to let them come and play because I've been hearing about "65 yr old rapes this", " 25 yr old defines that ". I'm still very young, and please don't get me wrong: I'm not saying I have plans to defile anyone's child or that I'm capable of doing that.

I usually see these children going to other flats and other houses on the street to " play" and I don't want a case where someone will defile any of them and I automatically become a suspect, that's why I decided not to let them come in. In fact, when they knock, I don't even answer once I know it's them.

Now, people in the area are saying I'm a bad person that's why I don't like children. I don't want to tell them my reasons.

Dear nairalanders, did I do the right thing? Is there a better way of handling this situation?
Please advice.

Yes you are doing the right thing, I also don't allow such for the same reason as yours & also if any of the children have stomac pain you will also be a suspect.

What I will advice is that try as much as you can to keep them away from your house by telling them you are busy when ever they come around & learn to give them little gifts not food. Like in my case I give them #500 each every month once I get paid. But coming to my house is a NO & they all like me.

195 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by MRBrownJ: 11:44am On Aug 29, 2015
@Sundayslim
i would have done the same as you did and explain exactly why to their parents... while also schooling them as to why this is wrong!

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by ronald4lif(m): 12:02pm On Aug 29, 2015
Bro you did the right thing. In this era of 30years old man rape 3year old and 78years old fondles with 8year old girl private I would do same if I were you. Like someone already said always tell them you're busy and let neighbours say and think as it suites them. Better to be safe than sorry.

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by ogogoro: 12:46pm On Aug 29, 2015
You are doing the right thing, and in fact you should take it a step further by talking to their parents. The world is not good, and exposing these kids to strangers houses might rob them of their innocence. Well done, don't feel guilty!

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by kristonium(m): 5:12pm On Aug 29, 2015
What they think is irrelevant! Stand by your decision! The best way to fail is to try to please everybody

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by powerfulsettingz: 5:34pm On Aug 29, 2015
Like in my case I give them #500 each every month once Iget paid. But coming to my house is a NO
Oga u and Buhari get the same manifestos ni?..?

Meanwhile read this and smile but warning don't click on like or else....... Wen a soldier punish you finish n com release you to go, you com climb ur bike and shout 'officer thunder fire you.... Ur bike no come start again remember the hymn 'Take my life and let me be' good morning...

150 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by Barselonia(m): 5:34pm On Aug 29, 2015
my brother u did the right thing....make dem come no kobalized u

8 Likes

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by ShakurM(m): 5:35pm On Aug 29, 2015
A very wise decision, never let anyone's children stay with u privately...Children can cook up stories sef.

Reputation is important, guard it with ur life!

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 5:36pm On Aug 29, 2015
story story ... grin grin grin
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by chukslawrence(m): 5:36pm On Aug 29, 2015
Continue to put them in busy mode nd get things once in a while for them

1 Like

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by missKiffy(f): 5:36pm On Aug 29, 2015
You are not doing anything wrong, let them think whatever they want

7 Likes

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by admax(m): 5:36pm On Aug 29, 2015
Guy, 'you are a wicked person and don't like children' period! grin

N.B You don't trust yourself with those kids...Simple! angry

8 Likes

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 29, 2015
Being proactive pays. After all, prevention is better than cure. tongue

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by HomoSapiien: 5:37pm On Aug 29, 2015
smiley
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by ladygudhead(f): 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2015
sundayslim:

Please advice.

chairman I understand ur reasons.

you are doing the best thing!!!

u can say hi to them wen u see them outside. smile at them.ask abt their welfare. but continue on ur principle.
some children can b more wicked than adults. some of those 'child rape' cases r with their consent (life done spoil)...there r no kids anymore.after d act some would say they where forced but the truth is they knw its bad but just want to experiment.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by gaetano: 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2015
Come play for your house ke. Na only you be BARNEY AND FRIENDS? no gree joor

shocked

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by horexy(f): 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2015
U are doing the right thing..afterall u'r d one paying ur house rent so u have the right to refuse any visitor u aren't comfortable with.
Let pple wag their tongues na dem sabi...
Oun toba wu elenu lo le fe nu wan so *in 9ice's voice

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by LordPhilip(m): 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2015
You did the BEST thing! You deserve a round of applause

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by holluwai(m): 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2015
Please stand by your actions men. I don't even give kids in my house candy or buscuit before their parents will start saying something else.

15 Likes

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by Icecomrade: 5:38pm On Aug 29, 2015
No
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by Pchinak: 5:39pm On Aug 29, 2015
MRBrownJ:
@Sundayslim
i would have done the same as you did and explain exactly why to their parents... while also schooling them as to why this is wrong!

I get your view, however the moment you explain the reason to the parents, don't be surprised if the matter changes from " wicked" to "pervert" in the neighborhood.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by emperor209(m): 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2015
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] hmmm u ar doin d rite tin bt b careful

1 Like

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2015

you are not wrong but never tell their parent why because they will see you as a Philadelphia/rapist (trust Nigerian parent) and you will become a suspect if there is a case of rape of children/aged/male/female even animal/non~living thing.
my advices ar:
you don't have to allow them in if you don't want to
buy something for them/money occasionally as compensation ( if not for the society, you know they don't deserve to be rejected; even Jesus don't reject them
greet them very well if u see them outside
occasionally ask them about their school
let your no kids be no kids; imagine closing the doors at ur landlord kids only fur you ti open it to some kids from the third street
NEVER tell them why
mind your business
n.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by ZACHIE: 5:40pm On Aug 29, 2015
I don't tolerate intruders into my privacy

Hey bro
You are good in this
Nothing do you

7 Likes

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by Godwinfrank1: 5:41pm On Aug 29, 2015
Pls let dem knw u re a busy peerson,
Always try best to buy biscuit for dem to send dem away
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by passionate88: 5:42pm On Aug 29, 2015
right
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? by StOla: 5:42pm On Aug 29, 2015
You are very smart.

Apart from being falsely accused, what about deliberate false accusation just to settle a landlord-tenant score.

I tend not to believe most of such accusations nowadays.

Rape has become a weapon of intimidation.

Infact, in some cases where such crimes occur against kids, the true culprit coaches such victims to accuse an already decided scapegoat if the crime is detected.

The culprit is left free while also joining the mob in yelling "you're a wicked man, so you can do this type of thing".

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pastor Snatches Wife Of Church Member In Osun / My Parents Are Driving Me Crazy! / My Engagement aω̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ Wedding Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.