Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,213 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? (2850 Views)

Faith And David Oyedepo During Their Courtship Days (Throwback Photo) / What Does It Mean To Take The Lord's Name In Vain? / Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Aug 29, 2015
I'm not the best conversation starter, but I hope this topic is interesting enough to draw comments from fellow 'heathen' brothers. Will be glad to read your contributions.

I do have my own opinions but they are not well-formed yet. Hopefully, I'll post them as the discussion progresses.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 8:25pm On Aug 29, 2015
[b][size=16]Faith:[/size]
Faith according to the dictionary is (Religious)"A feeling or conviction that something is true without empirical evidence.
(**I know there's another way it is used in English linguistic but i take it you are meaning it in a religious sense**)

So according to religions "It is the evidence of things unseen and things hoped for"

which obviously is synonymous to the dictionary definition because it about believing something without evidence and then ludicrously terming your act of believing that thing the evidence for that thing, But sadly believing something doesn't make it true... So having "faith" (belief) in a thing is not evidence of it but simply means you believe it whether it is true or not..

So to me "FAITH" is a dishonest position because it entails a strong emotion of stoic conviction, asserted without reason and defended against reason. .If one really need to believe something by FAITH and not empirical evidence then there is really no reason to believe it at all.

[size=16]Hope:[/size]
Hope in a very little way works like faith but is totally different from faith because hope is not a conviction or an alleged truth..

Rather hope is the position of having an expectation or feeling for something that MAY OR MAY NOT BE, to be..

[size=16]Love:[/size]
A sincere feeling of attachment, affection and care towards a thing or someone.

This emotion deals with a profound sense of likeness and this emotion is not obedient conformity, submission, wrath or judgemental.

But is respect, kindness, compassion, admiration, acceptance and care…

This to me is the healthiest emotion to possess and is meant to be exhibited towards everything and everyone around you, unbound by enmity or differences
[/b]

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by onetrack(m): 9:12pm On Aug 29, 2015
I know what love is. I know what hope is. I do not understand faith; I have no faith whatsoever and I never have. It's time that faith becomes a negative and not a positive trait.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 29, 2015
my friend Johnydon22 has said it all.

but in religions, those are hoax foundation of lies and deceptions on which every organised religion was build,

hope = 72 virgins in the sky when we die,, a dead jew will fall from the sky and take us to his father, etc, etc, etc
faith = the strong conviction that it must happen, thats reason why we bomb others , we refuse blood transfusion to save life ,, we give 10% of our salary to another man, etc , etc, etc
love = the most spoken about but rarely practised. a jehova witness would rather make love to a tree than to marry a deeper-life, grin , marriages are called off just because of disagreement on wether to wed in catholic or anglican,, ...and these are people worshiping the same dead jew? cheesy

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by texanomaly(f): 2:45am On Aug 30, 2015
Op looking forward to your thoughts.

*awaiting*
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:13am On Aug 30, 2015
Hope is being optimistic in anticipation while faith is the christian word for hope.
Love is the most powerful force in the world but the most under-utilized however,love to me is friendship set on fire.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by McSterling(m): 6:43am On Aug 30, 2015
Faith is believing strongly without evidence or maybe even repudiating evidence. It might also be loosely defined as trust, used interchangeably with the word trust. In that sense, one might have faith in whom one trusts.

Hope is simply expectation of something mostly fortuitous. Though one doesn't strongly believe with certitude and there mightn't be any clear evidence that what is expected will be gotten, yet one chooses to be optimistic without claim to certitude (as opposed to faith).

Love is a natural feeling of endearment or affection towards an object (a thing or a person). The feeling can be sometimes overwhelming. There are different kinds of love obviously but they all have one thing in common, I think: a deep sense of concern for the object of love.

My two cents.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:21am On Sep 03, 2015
Hi Johnny

johnydon22:
[size=16]Faith:[/size]
Faith according to the dictionary is (Religious)"A feeling or conviction that something is true without empirical evidence.
(**I know there's another way it is used in English linguistic but i take it you are meaning it in a religious sense**)

So according to religions "It is the evidence of things unseen and things hoped for"

which obviously is synonymous to the dictionary definition because it about believing something without evidence and then ludicrously terming your act of believing that thing the evidence for that thing, But sadly believing something doesn't make it true... So having "faith" (belief) in a thing is not evidence of it but simply means you believe it whether it is true or not..

So to me "FAITH" is a dishonest position because it entails a strong emotion of stoic conviction, asserted without reason and defended against reason. .If one really need to believe something by FAITH and not empirical evidence then there is really no reason to believe it at all.

Hope:
Hope in a very little way works like faith but is totally different from faith because hope is not a conviction or an alleged truth..

I appreciate your efforts to distinguish between faith in a secular sense and faith as employed by our religious brothers. I believe faith in whatever context it is used is 'extreme' hope. Now whether faith and interchangeably hope is likely to be based on false perceptions(rejecting what one sees) is not in doubt. But is it necessarily disadvantageous/evil?
Stories abound about the single mom who works multiple jobs and still fashions out time to take care of her kid. His results are poor, teachers dismiss his chances of becoming a success, but her hope, belief, and trust in him spurs him on to become a success. I understand and totally agree that his hardwork and determination play a greater role in determining his success, but can the role of his mom's faith be underplayed?
I strongly believe that religion is an abuse of faith, especially among believers here in Nigeria. It promotes laziness in that people somehow link promotions in their office to how much they are willing to bless their pastors or their commitment to tithes. I do not argue this. But rejecting faith in its entirety is synonymous to throwing out the baby with the bathwater. It is faith and hope that makes a community rebuild even after going through disastrous natural events.

johnydon22:

[size=16]Love:[/size]
A sincere feeling of attachment, affection and care towards a thing or someone.

This emotion deals with a profound sense of likeness and this emotion is not obedient conformity, submission or judgemental.

But is respect, kindness, compassion, admiration and care…

This to me is the healthiest emotion to possess and is meant to be exhibited towards everything and everyone around you, unbound by enmity or differences[/i][/b]
I completely agree with this.

1 Like

Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:39am On Sep 03, 2015
all of the above terms are nothing but illusions....
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Joshthefirst(m): 11:51am On Sep 10, 2015
emrain:
all of the above terms are nothing but illusions....
Nawa ooo.

Abeg Muskeeto come tell us your own views na.
Long time btw.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 10, 2015
Joshthefirst:
Nawa ooo.

Abeg Muskeeto come tell us your own views na.
Long time btw.
How far? Already posted my views as sonoflucifer.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Joshthefirst(m): 12:33pm On Sep 10, 2015
musKeeto:

How far? Already posted my views as sonoflucifer.
I dey. So you're in Nigeria now?

What do you think of Christ Embassy?
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 10, 2015
Joshthefirst:
I dey. So you're in Nigeria now?

What do you think of Christ Embassy?
Not in Nigeria, yet. Got a job here. Should be home in a few months.

Christ Embassy is cool, more modern. Seems to be the rave amongst the young and wealthy.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Joshthefirst(m): 12:48pm On Sep 10, 2015
musKeeto:

Christ Embassy is cool, more modern. Seems to be the rave amongst the young and wealthy.
What do you this of Pastor Chris?

Promise me you'll visit the Church and ask questions Muskeeto...If you're looking for truth, I can assure you you'll find it there. At least just go there for me.

If you can't go there. Try to Listen to Pastor Chris online. Hear what he has to say on particular issues and questions.

I'm praying for you man.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Joshthefirst(m): 12:49pm On Sep 10, 2015
musKeeto:

Lol. It turns people young and wealthy. The words change people.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:02pm On Sep 10, 2015
Joshthefirst:
What do you this of Pastor Chris?

Promise me you'll visit the Church and ask questions Muskeeto...If you're looking for truth, I can assure you you'll find it there. At least just go there for me.

If you can't go there. Try to Listen to Pastor Chris online. Hear what he has to say on particular issues and questions.

I'm praying for you man.

That cult? Sorry, but that church is a cult. Enter at your own peril.

1 Like

Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 10, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

All religious groups were once cults.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:53pm On Sep 10, 2015
musKeeto:

All religious groups were once cults.

No. A cult will hurt you if you insult their leader. These people worship pastor Chris like a God.

They use well dressed youths to entice people to their church.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by HCpaul(m): 7:49pm On Sep 10, 2015
Well, that does'nt change the context of the bible.

He is coming in the cloud, i really shout it loud. Every eyes will see him, including you athiest and satanist.

Keep satisfying ur concience.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Joshthefirst(m): 4:23pm On Sep 11, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Have you been a member before?
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Joshthefirst(m): 4:25pm On Sep 11, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

No. A cult will hurt you if you insult their leader. These people worship pastor Chris like a God.

They use well dressed youths to entice people to their church.
Have you been beaten up or harassed in any way after insulting Pastor Chris?
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:35pm On Sep 11, 2015
Joshthefirst:
Have you been beaten up or harassed in any way after insulting Pastor Chris?

Good question.

I don't insult men of God. I was complaining about how long the wedding service is in pastor Chris's church. I went for a wedding there and the service was about 2 hours and 30 minutes in duration because there were 3 different preachers talking about marriage.

I complained to my friend at his house (he is a baptist) in the midst of his friends. One of his friends got angry and started shouting that I should not insult pastor Chris or his church.

I also have two cousins who are slaves to pastor Chris. Back in the day, they didnt miss his program on the television. I also have a friend in the USA who helps assist Pastor Chris whenever he is over there- this my friend becomes a frantic sheep whenever Pastor chris is around.

I used to be a baptist by the way. But now, I worship at a small non-denominational church that does a lot of charity. My pastor is a humble person.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:36pm On Sep 11, 2015
Joshthefirst:
Have you been a member before?

God forbid.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 5:09pm On Sep 11, 2015
HCpaul:
Well, that does'nt change the context of the bible.

He is coming in the cloud, i really shout it loud. Every eyes will see him, including you athiest and satanist.

Keep satisfying ur concience.
Ok this is impossible.

The earth is spherical please undecided
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Sep 11, 2015
johnydon22:
Ok this is impossible.

The earth is spherical please undecided
You never know. God might beam it live around the world using the sky as screen. SexyJesus coming to pick up his sheep on a chariot with horses. Santa would be so pissed.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 5:54pm On Sep 11, 2015
musKeeto:

You never know. God might beam it live around the world using the sky as screen. SexyJesus coming to pick up his sheep on a chariot with horses. Santa would be so pissed.
Hallelujah!!!! grin grin
Jesus riding horses when man is now riding rockets grin lets see how that goes.

Maybe the sky will be turned into an OLED screen and a reoccurring image made to appear all over the screen ..That should be fun grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by menesheh(m): 8:14pm On Sep 11, 2015
musKeeto:

Still believe in magic?
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by johnydon22(m): 8:18pm On Sep 11, 2015
menesheh:

Still believe in magic?
You probably didn't understand the sarcasm grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by menesheh(m): 8:28pm On Sep 11, 2015
johnydon22:
You probably didn't understand the sarcasm grin

I didn't oo. grin

If it is ridicule, in the word of patience Jonathan continue. Religion deserved it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Sep 11, 2015
menesheh:

If it is ridicule, in the word of patience Jonathan KONTINU. Religion deserved it.
grin

1 Like

Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Joshthefirst(m): 9:13pm On Sep 11, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

God forbid.
Then your opinion is ignorant and irrelevant.
Re: Hope, Faith And Love: What Do These Mean To An Atheist? by Joshthefirst(m): 9:20pm On Sep 11, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Good question.

I don't insult men of God. I was complaining about how long the wedding service is in pastor Chris's church. I went for a wedding there and the service was about 2 hours and 30 minutes in duration because there were 3 different preachers talking about marriage.

I complained to my friend at his house (he is a baptist) in the midst of his friends. One of his friends got angry and started shouting that I should not insult pastor Chris or his church.

I also have two cousins who are slaves to pastor Chris. Back in the day, they didnt miss his program on the television. I also have a friend in the USA who helps assist Pastor Chris whenever he is over there- this my friend becomes a frantic sheep whenever Pastor chris is around.

I used to be a baptist by the way. But now, I worship at a small non-denominational church that does a lot of charity. My pastor is a humble person.
Not missing a man's TV program means you're a slave huh? But if I love the big bang theory or game of thrones and I don't miss any episode there's nothing wrong there. But loving and watching words of life from a seasoned man of God is quite wrong. Slavery in fact. Nonsense.

So what should your friend in the US do when Pastor comes around? He should stop his vital assistance and let things go wrong?

None of the reasons you've given prove that Christ Embassy is a cult or a hell house.

But I'm probably a cultist now because I defend the church.

Sit back in your small church(no offense at all to your church) and criticize. Pastor Chris and Christ Embassy are preaching the gospel around the world, penetrating nations with the good news. Continue in your criticism.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Quirinius' Census Is An Important Historical Marker For ‪‎Jesus‬' Birth - But... / If Evolution Was True Then It Should Be Able To Regrow Lost Limbs In Humans / Condemned Ex-armed Robber Acquitted/discharged By Jesus On Execution Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.