Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,088 members, 7,818,266 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? (1819 Views)

Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” / Is Speaking In Tongues A Necessary Manifestation Of Salvation? / Tongues: A Fundamental Flaw In Pentecostalism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 11:38am On Aug 30, 2015
I have found out most people speak in tongues anytime.
Some when eating,some when praying,some when walking etc.

According to the scripture,before the disciples spoke in tongues,the holy came upon them..
But nowadays people don't wait for the Holy spirit to come into them before they start speaking in tongues..

I was in a church sometime ago,and I was surprise when the pastor told us to start speaking in another tongues(Me I started speaking my language oo)

And in most cases,some people keep repeating the same word over and over again.eg "zazazazazaz","bababababa" etch.

Aren't we suppose to be filled with the holy spirit before speaking in tongues?
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by raayah(f): 11:40am On Aug 30, 2015
/
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by experimentist: 11:44am On Aug 30, 2015
na free madness

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by chichriso: 11:45am On Aug 30, 2015
The truth is that praying in tongues is a gift of the Spirit but many churches has taken is as a normal way of practice in their churches by trying to teach their members how to pray in tongues

TO BOOST YOUR BLOG TRAFFIC, CLICK MY SIGNATURES TO ADD YOUR BLOG LINK/URL

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by thorpido(m): 11:57am On Aug 30, 2015
When you accept Christ,you receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit and the gift of speaking in tongues.
Once you have received the gift,you have it in you.All you have to do is stir it up as the Scripture says.You don't. Have to wait for it fom heaven as you think Op.

When the pastor says speak in tongues,it means stir it up because it's in you if you have received it.

There are some who try to teach or form it however.For every real,there must be a fake.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 12:23pm On Aug 30, 2015
thorpido:
When you accept Christ,you receive the infilling of the Holy Spirit and the gift of speaking in tongues.
Once you have received the gift,you have it in you.All you have to do is stir it up as the Scripture says.You don't. Have to wait for it fom heaven as you think Op.

When the pastor says speak in tongues,it means stir it up because it's in you if you have received it.

There are some who try to teach or form it however.For every real,there must be a fake.

I disagree with you..
Why didn't day speak in tongues for long not until the pentecost
day?

The bible said in Act 2:4
King James Bible
"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to
speak with other tongues, AS THE SPIRIT GAVE THEM
UTTERANCE".

I believe the "SPIRIT" has to give us the utterance.

Speaking in tongues is a GIFT,just as the gift of prophecy,healing etc...
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 12:25pm On Aug 30, 2015
experimentist:
na free madness
grin
experimentist:
na free madness
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Chidexter(m): 12:33pm On Aug 30, 2015
Well you're praying fervently, there's a kind of force that overcomes/surrounds you, you'll feel like jumping, you'll suddenly become energetic and stay saying things some would consider weird or forming.

I guess thats speaking in tongues, it hasnt happened to me, but i've felt it.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 12:35pm On Aug 30, 2015
chichriso:
The truth is that praying in tongues is a gift of the Spirit but many churches has taken is as a normal way of practice in their churches by trying to teach their members how to pray in tongues

TO BOOST YOUR BLOG TRAFFIC, CLICK MY SIGNATURES TO ADD YOUR BLOG LINK/URL

Yeah,its just so annoying
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 12:40pm On Aug 30, 2015
Chidexter:
Well you're praying fervently, there's a kind of force that overcomes/surrounds you, you'll feel like jumping, you'll suddenly become energetic and stay saying things some would consider weird or forming.

I guess thats speaking in tongues, it hasnt happened to me, but i've felt it.

Now,that is the real speaking in tongues!!!!

And not when someone "STIRS" u to speak in tongues.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by orisa37: 4:57pm On Aug 30, 2015
Aren't we suppose to be filled with the holy spirit before speaking in tongues? Yes, but then you must know who you are. God is Spirit, the Supreme Spirit. He is our Instructor. He teaches us all skills and professions and the languages we need to communicate them. In other words, He gives us His Light to shine the different talents in us to His Honour and Glory. Therefore, A Talent is a Gift and a Skill of God and His Light in us. Your Pastor saying bar bar bar bar, please don't judge him. For it may be his preparations to communicate with God, who is Spirit, in Spirit.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by thorpido(m): 7:24pm On Aug 30, 2015
Iyke1998:

I disagree with you..
Why didn't day speak in tongues for long not until the pentecost
day?

The bible said in Act 2:4
King James Bible
"And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to
speak with other tongues, AS THE SPIRIT GAVE THEM
UTTERANCE".

I believe the "SPIRIT" has to give us the utterance

Speaking in tongues is a GIFT,just as the gift of prophecy,healing etc...

And where is this SPIRIT?in Heaven?

Many Christians do not yet understand that they have the infilling of the Holy Spirit(as many as have received Him) and that He dwells in them as the bible says.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 7:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
thorpido:
And where is this SPIRIT?in Heaven?

Many Christians do not yet understand that they have the infilling of the Holy Spirit(as many as have received Him) and that He dwells in them as the bible says.

Are you trying to say that the disciples weren't christians?

So,all this while they were with Jesus they haven't received him as their Lord and Savior?

Comon,for the fact that u receive Jesus as your Lord and savior doesn't mean that you will be given the gift of speaking in tongues or prophesy instantly..

Remember,it is a GIFT and not something you learn...

God bless you!!!
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 7:36pm On Aug 30, 2015
orisa37:
Aren't we suppose to be filled with the holy spirit before speaking in tongues? Yes, but then you must know who you are. God is Spirit, the Supreme Spirit. He is our Instructor. He teaches us all skills and professions and the languages we need to communicate them. In other words, He gives us His Light to shine the different talents in us to His Honour and Glory. Therefore, A Talent is a Gift and a Skill of God and His Light in us. Your Pastor saying bar bar bar bar, please don't judge him. For it may be his preparations to communicate with God, who is Spirit, in Spirit.

The spirit needs to give you the auction to speak in tongues...

You don't wake up one morning and start speaking in tongues,you must have been given the GIFT of speaking in tongues by the HOLY SPIRIT...

I just want to let people know that it is a GIFT and not something you learn...

God bless you!!!
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by thorpido(m): 6:36am On Aug 31, 2015
Iyke1998:

Are you trying to say that the disciples weren't christians?

So,all this while they were with Jesus they haven't received him as their Lord and Savior?

Comon,for the fact that u receive Jesus as your Lord and savior doesn't mean that you will be given the gift of speaking in tongues or prophesy instantly..

Remember,it is a GIFT and not something you learn...

God bless you!!!
The disciples could not receive the Holy Spirit when they were with Jesus because it was not time yet.They received the Holy Spirit after Jesus had left them on the day of pentecost.
When you receive Christ and the infilling of the Holy Spirit,that is when the gift of speaking in tongues is imparted to you.
Once you have received it,it's in you.You don't have to wait again for it to come from heaven.All you need to do is stir it up from within you.

1 Like

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 11:15pm On Aug 31, 2015
thorpido:
The disciples could not receive the Holy Spirit when they were with Jesus because it was not time yet.They received the Holy Spirit after Jesus had left them on the day of pentecost.
When you receive Christ and the infilling of the Holy Spirit,that is when the gift of speaking in tongues is imparted to you.
Once you have received it,it's in you.You don't have to wait again for it to come from heaven.All you need to do is stir it up from within you.

"The disciples could not receive the Holy Spirit when they were with Jesus because it was NOT TIME YET".

You just answered the question...

I guess what you were trying to point out is that "there is time for everything"...

Being a born again is different from receiving the gift of speaking in tongues..

The disciples were all born again,they worked with Christ,still,they were unable to speak in tongues.Why?..because the GIFT of speaking in tongues wasn't bestowed not until the day of pentecost...
Read ACT 2:1-4...its clearly written there....

So,I disagree with you where you said that one has the gift of speaking when he becomes born again,if that is so,the disciples of Christ wouldn't have waited that long before the started speaking in tongues.

God bless you!!!
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Aug 31, 2015
I salute y'all. If you may, kindly visit this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/2546898/setting-record-straight-speaking-tongues

It contains all the arguments and counter arguments. We quoted scripture for scripture. I'm certain you'll find your answers.

Cheers
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by thorpido(m): 9:54am On Sep 01, 2015
Iyke1998:

"The disciples could not receive the Holy Spirit when they were with Jesus because it was NOT TIME YET".

You just answered the question...

I guess what you were trying to point out is that "there is time for everything"...

Being a born again is different from receiving the gift of speaking in tongues..

The disciples were all born again,they worked with Christ,still,they were unable to speak in tongues.Why?..because the GIFT of speaking in tongues wasn't bestowed not until the day of pentecost...
Read ACT 2:1-4...its clearly written there....

So,I disagree with you where you said that one has the gift of speaking when he becomes born again,if that is so,the disciples of Christ wouldn't have waited that long before the started speaking in tongues.

God bless you!!!
The disciples were not born again.They could not be until the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 2:22pm On Sep 01, 2015
thorpido:
The disciples were not born again.They could not be until the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Is there any bible reference on that?

It is written in the BIBLE that "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God" (I John 5:1).
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by thorpido(m): 2:54pm On Sep 01, 2015
Iyke1998:

Is there any bible reference on that?

It is written in the BIBLE that "Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God" (I John 5:1).
Guy,Jesus had to die first.It's simple enough.The 'born again' life is only possible after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 2:57pm On Sep 01, 2015
thorpido:
Guy,Jesus had to die first.It's simple enough.The 'born again' life is only possible after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Guy,Idontbilivit...

I will have to see my priest for clarification...

Thanks Man..
Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by freecocoa(f): 3:00pm On Sep 01, 2015
If I speak in tongues for you eh, you will spray me the money and yea, I'm atheist, someone please explain how come, thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2015
.hhh

Re: Is Speaking In Tongues A Gift Or A Talent? by Iyke1998(m): 6:43am On Sep 02, 2015
thorpido:

I just found a scripture concerning in tongues as a gift.

Corinthians 12:1-11

God bless you man....

(1) (Reply)

Black Original Bantu (Israelite) Levite Versus Fake Oyinbo Levite / Prayer Request Against Escalation Of LGBT Activities In Nigeria / Football Coach Who Was Fired For Praying With Players Wins $2M Settlement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.