Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,278 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:40 PM

British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War (819 Views)

"Buhari May Cause Nigeria’s Breakup" – Frederick Fasehun / British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War / British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by Richhommie(m): 6:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
The famous British author, Frederick Forsyth, has revealed he worked as a spy for British Intelligence agency, MI6, during the Nigerian Civil War.
Mr. Forsyth, who is best known for his spy novel, The Day of the Jackal, which is based on a real account of assassination plot against late French premier, Charles de Gaulle, said he was first approached by the spy agency to provide information when he was working as a reporter in Nigeria during the Nigerian civil war (1967-1970)
He revealed in his just published autobiography, The Outsider: My Life, that an intelligence officer asked him to “tell us what’s going on” during the war.
“For the last year of the Biafran War, I was sending… both journalistic reports to the media and other reports to my new friend,” he said.
He said the MI6 wanted to confirm the report that children were dying inside Biafra.
“The Foreign Office was denying that there were any dying children and they were passionate in supporting the dictatorship in Lagos, and it was oddly enough MI6 that had a different viewpoint,” he said.
He said many British volunteers provided information back home to MI6 at the time that it wasn’t considered out of place.
“There was no fee, no reward, you just do it. It was a different attitude back then.”
He however admitted that due to his work for the spy agency, MI6 approved passages from some of his later novels.
“I had a number I could ring… I’d ask, ‘Is it OK?’. They would check with superiors,” the award-winning author revealed.
He said he provided information to the MI6 over a period of 20 years from other locations such as Rhodesia (present day Zimbabwe), South Africa and, East Germany during the Cold War.
“It was normally a phone call: ‘can we meet – why don’t you join us for lunch? We have a little problem – would you mind slipping into East Germany and picking something us for us?'” he said.
Mr. Forsyth later befriended Odumegwu Ojukwu, the Biafran secessionist leader. He wrote a biography of Ojukwu tilted: “Emeka” (1982). He had previously written a book about the war in 1969 – “The Biafra Story: The Making of an African Legend”.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/arts-entertainment/artsbooks/189259-british-author-frederick-forsyth-spied-for-mi6-during-nigerian-civil-war.html

Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by frankay430(m): 6:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
and so
Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by byteHead(m): 6:33pm On Aug 30, 2015
Interesting
Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by INTROVERT(f): 6:33pm On Aug 30, 2015
Day of the jackal.... a nice read

1 Like

Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 30, 2015
Its not unnormal of this 'big' countries to spy on their baby country. Mother checks on me while sleeping too ...
Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by timawoku(m): 6:42pm On Aug 30, 2015
Abegi make I park here first as I just pass this jobless girl (introvert).
Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 30, 2015
INTROVERT:
Day of the jackal.... a nice read

Event
Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by stevecantrell: 7:04pm On Aug 30, 2015
Oh, what a shock !
Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by naijaking1: 7:13pm On Aug 30, 2015
Thanks to him the criminal elements in the British foreign office colluding with Gowon could not deny that children were dying any longer!
Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by meforyou1(m): 7:27pm On Aug 30, 2015
So this man was in East germany when buhari and Michelle were in West germany
Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by 1stGenius(m): 7:28pm On Aug 30, 2015
meforyou1:
So this man was in East germany when buhari and Michelle were in West germany
Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by Nobody: 11:41pm On May 19, 2019
Avatar, avatar, notification, notification – good, friend.
Re: British Author, Frederick Forsyth, Spied For MI6 During Nigerian Civil War by Guestlander: 11:56pm On May 19, 2019
I like The Day of the Jackal. His Biafran writings were hogwash.

(1) (Reply)

Private Investors To Set Up 107,000bpd Epic Refinery In Bayelsa / Sen. Saraki's Saga: Is APC Truly Wolf In Sheep's Clothing? / Former Bayelsa Governor, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.