Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,727 members, 7,827,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair (3519 Views)

I'm A Natural Hair Blogger, If U Have Any Questions About Natural Hair, Ask Me / Thread For Black Women With Natural Hair: My Experience (photos) / Have You Tried Hair Wonder Natural hair oil on Your Hair? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by symvanroyale(f): 12:02am On Aug 31, 2015
I have gone through a couple of threads and it's shocking to discover the different advices which based on facts seems to be wrong, here are a few things you should know as a transitioner or naturalista

1. WATER: The major role of water is that it keeps your scalp hydrated thereby strengthening the hair follicle which in turn stimulates growth.... This doesn't mean you should keep water in your spray bottle and carry it around at all times as this can even irritate your scalp and lead to itching, you won't even need to carry water everywhere if you have a SEALANT to begin with.
This brings us to;

2. SHEA BUTTER: This powerful sealant locks in moisture while providing the scalp with nourishment all day long.
In as much as this product seems to be readily available in Nigeria, there are fakes everywhere too where animal fat is paraded as original Shea.
This product has excellent properties but because it is heavy, should be used sparsely to avoid clogging of the hair follicles

3. Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Lots of naturalists forget the extra virgin aspect and just hold on to the Olive oil part, with its excellent moisturizing properties it can also be used as a CARRIER OIL in the extraction of some oils e.g Citronella.
As we all know, Olive oils are plenty in Nigeria so when buying always buy a BOTTLE PRODUCT those are Original. I would personally recommend GOYA brand.

4. HAIR MAYONNAISE: pls! Pls! and pls! Don't let anybody fool you into thinking this is the same thing as edible mayonnaise.
A hair mayonnaise is more of a leave-in-conditioner that contains egg protein, fat and other conditioning ingredients to give you a soft shiny scalp and hair. It is quite affordable about 500naira for a big jar.
If you put edible mayonnaise on your hair it's the same as using petroleum jelly, it can change your hair texture making it dry and coarse.
You are not making salad please.

5. SHAMPOO: I advice people to use shampoos with added vitamins and minerals E.g: V05 for 1,000 only. It contains 5 essential vitamins and a lasting fragrance for aromatherapy.
If you are doing the BLACK SOAP shampoo method, DUDU OSUN is your best option as it contains natural herbs and products it's just 150 naira.

6. HONEY: You need PURE HONEY for it to work, there are two types of honey in Nigeria: pure honey and fermented sugar honey.
Pure honey is quite scarce and costly but it gets the job done with its antiseptic properties and its also a good detangling agent, ideal for a PREPOO or washday regimen, even day to day use.

7. DANGEROUS ADVICE: You need to beware of DIYS telling you to mix this and that, the only post I haven't seen is one asking me to put bread and boiled egg on my head because am a naturalist or in transition.
You need to be sure of what ure looking for and as u know NOT EVERYTHING CAN OR WILL WORK FOR YOU. Stick to ur routine

For your essential oil mixes, tips and tricks, general hair products and accessories
Contact
07080039037(what's app)
Ajadielizabeth@gmail.com

3 Likes

Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by marieolae(f): 1:13pm On Aug 31, 2015
interesting
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 31, 2015
Nice one!
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by symvanroyale(f): 8:37pm On Aug 31, 2015
Thanks ladies
krystalkinks:
Nice one!
marieolae:
interesting
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 31, 2015
I've been using dudu osun to wash my hair for some months now, and I love it. It gets the dirt out and doesn't dry my hair.
Much better than all the shampoo's i've tried - which are usually too heavy weight and extra creamy.

I give dudu osun 5 stars. Its the bomb.com
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by symvanroyale(f): 12:05am On Sep 01, 2015
GENERAL RECIPE FOR TRANSITIONERS

Oil Method
Step 1
Massage a quarter-sized amount of pure coconut oil into your scalp and onto the new hair growth after you shampoo and while the hair is still damp. This will add moisture and soften the new hair growth so it will loosen its curls.
Step 2
Pour olive oil into a squirt applicator bottle (the kind that is used to apply hair dye) using a funnel.
Step 3
Part your hair with the applicator bottle by drawing a line down your hair with the bottle tip. Gently squeeze the bottle to apply a light amount of olive oil in a faint line down the part, as you drag the bottle tip through. Repeat on your whole head.

Step 4
Gently comb the oils through your hair with a wide-toothed comb. Put your hair in a protective style such as a bun or braids. This style will give support to the brittle and easily-broken line of demarcation where the relaxed hair ends and the new growth starts. The longer your hair grows, the more stress is put on that line.
Conditioner Method
Step 1
Wet hair and shampoo as usual. Towel dry hair very gently, patting it dry, not rubbing.
Step 2
Apply a deep conditioning treatment following the directions on the bottle. This should be done once a week. Wrap your hair in a towel to keep it warm and from dripping on you.
Step 3
After 10 minutes (or the amount of time directed on the package) rinse the conditioner out of your hair. Carefully comb it using a wide-tooth comb and allow it to air dry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by symvanroyale(f): 12:07am On Sep 01, 2015
Joavid:
I've been using dudu osun to wash my hair for some months now, and I love it. It gets the dirt out and doesn't dry my hair.
Much better than all the shampoo's i've tried - which are usually too heavy weight and extra creamy.

I give dudu osun 5 starts. Its the bomb.com
Have you tried V05? It use it to co wash after using black soap. All you need is a little.
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by Nobody: 5:46am On Sep 01, 2015
symvanroyale:

Have you tried V05? It use it to co wash after using black soap. All you need is a little.

You mean the V05 conditioner? I've heard good things about it and I have a friend who uses it co-wash.
I might try it soon.

But the V05 shampoo contains sulphate, so its a no no for me.
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by symvanroyale(f): 8:57am On Sep 01, 2015
Joavid:

You mean the V05 conditioner? I've heard good things about it and I have a friend who uses it co-wash.
I might try it soon.

But the V05 shampoo contains sulphate, so its a no no for me.
Do you know that just like alcohol, Sulphate comes in many forms?
You cannot generalize Sulphate, google d exact type everytime you find it in a product u like
Also, SULPHUR AND SULPHATE are 2 different elements.
The instant conditioner is the bomb. grin
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 01, 2015
symvanroyale:

Do you know that just like alcohol, Sulphate comes in many forms?
You cannot generalize Sulphate, google d exact type everytime you find it in a product u like
Also, SULPHUR AND SULPHATE are 2 different elements.
The instant conditioner is the bomb. grin

Lol. Ofcourse I know sulphur and sulphate are different things.
I had use a hair product that contain sulphur to treat my dandruff and I had no issues with it.

I just can't use a hair shampoo that contains any kind of sulphate. Better be safe than sorry.
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by symvanroyale(f): 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2015
Joavid:

Lol. Ofcourse I know sulphur and sulphate are different things.
I had use a hair product that contain sulphur to treat my dandruff and I had no issues with it.

I just can't use a hair shampoo that contains any kind of sulphate. Better be safe than sorry.
Lol ok ma. Better safe than sorry
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by williams20(m): 2:27pm On Sep 01, 2015
Help , my madam's hair breaks and dries quickly
I've stopped the use of relaxers as I want her to go natural ,
I bought olive oil and conditioner already

What can we do?
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by symvanroyale(f): 2:57pm On Sep 01, 2015
williams20:
Help , my madam's hair breaks and dries quickly
I've stopped the use of relaxers as I want her to go natural ,
I bought olive oil and conditioner already
What can we do?
The first question is how long has she stopped the use of relaxers
What type of shampoo and conditioner has she been using?
Does she sleep with a silk scarf or bonnet on?
Does she apply heat to her hair?
Does she use products containing alcohol
Does she use hair dye or tint?
These are some questions you need to answer to be able to identify the problem causing the breakage before proffering a solution
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by williams20(m): 3:13pm On Sep 01, 2015
symvanroyale:

The first question is how long has she stopped the use of relaxers
What type of shampoo and conditioner has she been using?
Does she sleep with a silk scarf or bonnet on?
Does she apply heat to her hair?
Does she use products containing alcohol
Does she use hair dye or tint?
These are some questions you need to answer to be able to identify the problem causing the breakage before proffering a solution

No dyes
Heat ..... No
Products containing alcohol ..... No
She stopped relaxing about 5 months ago
Yes sleeps with a scarf on
Yes she sleeps with
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by symvanroyale(f): 3:24pm On Sep 01, 2015
williams20:

No dyes
Heat ..... No
Products containing alcohol ..... No
She stopped relaxing about 5 months ago
Yes sleeps with a scarf on
Yes she sleeps with
Ok lovely...... Emily millionaire coconut cream is a very good product I can recommend
Original Shea butter
Pure honey
Make sure the Olive oil is extra virgin
Vitamin A soft gel (this can b gotten from any pharmacy)
Extra virgin coconut oil
Amal oil (it's around #500)
Hair mayonnaise
Wide tooth comb

Another thing is, hair in transition is bound to break but the rate at which it breaks differs

There's honestly no cure for split ends, so she has to do a mini trim after every wash day

These things will help condition her hair and seal in moisture.
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by symvanroyale(f): 4:04pm On Sep 01, 2015
@william20 this recipe has worked for everyone I have recommended it to

1. 5tbs of hair mayonnaise
2. 3tbs of Amla oil
3. 1egg YOLK
4. Fresh coconut milk
5. Vitamin A,E

Mix ingredients together except coconut milk
Part hair into 4 sections and apply mixture liberally, starting from roots to the tip
Massage hair for 5mins
Wear a shower cap and wrap with a towel
Leave for 2 hours
Rinse out with warm coconut milk.

I usually use my special CITRONELLA PUDDING after washing then I do Bantu knot outs

You can use d coconut cream instead too

CITRONELLA PUDDING is #500 only, and can be delivered nationwide.

P.S: avoid RAT TAIL COMB like a plague, it leads to breakage

1 Like

Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by williams20(m): 8:29pm On Sep 01, 2015
I think I might get all these and help her out myself one of these days
I'll mail you later
Thanks ,madam , I'm so grateful
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by Amar101: 1:14pm On Mar 27, 2017
Hello dear I want to give a corrective insight on the message above over edible mayonnaise.I was just surfing through and stumbled across your post and felt what you said about edible mayo.should be corrected immediately otherwise more people will be confused.comparing edible mayo with petroleum jelly is as good as telling people they are eating poison. Also what works for your hair may not work for another.besides am a naturalist.And as proof I HV Been using edible mayo on my hair as a deep conditioning agent and it works wonders. So if it does not work for you don't condemned it entirely. Also what you eat is healthier for your hair than a chemically prepared one.but most importantly stick to what works for you and don't condemn what others are saying or doing simply because it does not go well with you.thanks.
Re: Correcting Wrong Notions About Natural Hair by Amar101: 1:24pm On Mar 27, 2017
One more thing. If you are not good with chemicals or understanding how things work please don't write and condemn them.DIYs are one of the ways many naturalistas have improvised some recipes most people are following now condemning DIYs is as good as telling people not to listen to you. And your hair regimen advice.I think you should simply tell them to research any ingredient they want to use .not telling them that DIYs are dangerous. That's a very harsh word.so please dear check your words and what you post for people to read.thanks

(1) (Reply)

Unbelievable!! Can This Lady’s Gigantic Hip Be Real? [SEE PHOTOS] / Dark Laps / Authentic Polo Ralph Lauren Long Sleeved Shirts.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.