Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,051 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

My Startup Journey - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Startup Journey (3800 Views)

Piggybank.ng, The Nigerian Fintech Startup That Just Raised $1.1million / My Startup Is Now In Private Beta, Be Among The First-100 To Test My Service / Can My Startup Survive In Nigeria With A LOW Rate Of Angel Investments? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 5:18am On Aug 31, 2015
I was inspired by 1K001 to document my efforts.

My name is Clement and I am many things to many people. For a start, I am a mechanical engineering graduate currently serving Nigeria.

I love business and I have come to full acceptance of the bearing of my life. 7 years ago, if anyone had asked me, I would say I wanted to be the greatest engineer in the world. Fast forward to the present and I want to be an extremely rich man.

Thinking aback, I concluded I had a penchant for business. My first attempt at business was at age 15. I configured phones to browse. The whole idea was still new then. Soon after I bought some shares. I believe the company has folded.

100 level came and I took a paid course on web design. Joomla and WordPress were probably nonexistent then.

In 200 level, I brushed up my graphics design skills and handled some jobs.

300 I started a printing and photocopying business on campus.

In 400, I moved out of campus and continued designing.

In 500, I became a freelance writer and designer.

I always told myself that I will never search for a job after school and God is helping me. I also told myself that I will never touch my allawee. Well, I haven't right from camp.

I hope this helps me press on and inspires someone in the process.

5 Likes

Re: My Startup Journey by edogho(m): 8:09am On Aug 31, 2015
Nice one... D Lord is ur strength, never worked for anyone too but I feel dis will help my dwindling drive..
Re: My Startup Journey by edogho(m): 8:12am On Aug 31, 2015
Nice one... D Lord is ur strength,qq never worked for anyone too but I feel dis will help my dwindling drive..
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 4:46am On Sep 01, 2015
Today I will give an insight into what my startup is about.

My freelance days started on Nairaland with the help of ladywriter. Yes, you know the make $1,000 thread.

In exactly one year being a freelancer writer, I have grown to add other skills. My skill set includes:

Market research
Website content
SEO services
Copy writing
Whiteboard animation
Graphics Design

Others
Resume writing
Transcription services

I am still a newbie in the last two and I am very selective when it comes to accepting related jobs.

My startup revolves around providing the first 6 services to global and local brands or businesses, with particular focus on startups.

Why are these relevant?
Irrespective of how fabulous an idea may appear, chances are that it will fail within the first few years because of wrong decisions relating to target market, location, and competition analysis, etc.

Go past being relevant, a lot of businesses cannot engage their audience. Copy writing will help eliminate this.
The list goes on and on.

I'll stop here for today.

1 Like

Re: My Startup Journey by Ademat7(m): 5:24pm On Sep 02, 2015
Following
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 4:18am On Sep 03, 2015
Between Monday and today, Thursday, I have been writing content for my website. I figured, the nature of my startup requires active online presence and this is the first thing that needs to be done.

The previous week has been both wasteful and tasking for me. I opted for a partnership to build my site. My supposed partner was sourced for on fiverr. Eventually all went well but I noticed some irregularities.
My loaded master card has a #10,000 cap so I couldn't purchase domain and hosting for a year. I asked my partner to purchase but he insisted he doesn't have a credit card.
I went for a month, just to get the site off the ground.
Ideally, since I have spent some money on hosting and domain, he is supposed to go in and design. But then, he asked for money. I was perplexed.
Instead of paying him to design and still maintain a partnership, I'd rather pay an outright fee.

He still insisted on a partnership so I went in to scrutinize the samples he sent. What happened next was a shocker. One of the jobs has been sent to me as a sample by another web designer.
I didn't bother beating around the bush. Our partnership was over. This all happened last week.

I proceeded to build the site myself but met a brick wall. Images uploaded came out cracked. I contacted some experts on fiverr once again. None could fix it. One suggested the challenge was from my hosting providers. I had to buy a new domain and hosting. Another suggested I upgraded my OS to 10. I did, all to no avail. A hosting company I used in the past but wasn't impressed.
Well this new server had issues. I couldn't log in to my account. I didn't want to take chances with the experts so I went back to my former hosting company.
The deal is that I will pay a dollar for every image uploaded.

I started writing content for my website, and designing my website banner. I will post the samples at a later time. I also handled a video animation for a client.

I am contemplating traveling this morning for CDS. It just started raining here.
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 4:12am On Sep 04, 2015
I ended up traveling yesterday - a totally unproductive adventure, thanks to Nigerian roads. An hour's journey became three. In the process I lost two clients but at the end of the day gained two more in the market research niche.

I also uploaded my website banners to my site. All in all, I bless God.

I tried uploading them on nl, all to no avail. You will get to see them when the site is fully up.

I was also able to create a YouTube channel for my whiteboard animations and a company intro for all my jobs (I paid someone to do this part).
Currently searching for a software to merge two videos together (intro and animation), as well as render in mp4 (standard WAV format comes out blurred on YouTube).

My plans for today - write some more content, handle outstanding jobs, and maybe treat myself to a meal in the evening.
Re: My Startup Journey by stanvesco(m): 4:43am On Sep 04, 2015
bro plz av bin searching 4 a gud software 4 dat white board animation. Plz wat free software do u recommend,at least 4 a beginner to learn
Re: My Startup Journey by stanvesco(m): 4:43am On Sep 04, 2015
bro plz av bin searching 4 a gud software 4 dat white board animation. Plz wat free software do u recommend,at least 4 a beginner to learn nice piece. Inspiring
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 7:04am On Sep 04, 2015
stanvesco:
bro plz av bin searching 4 a gud software 4 dat white board animation.
Plz wat free software do u recommend,at least 4 a beginner to learn
nice piece.
Inspiring

Video Scribe
Use "vector magic" to convert your images from jpg or PNG to svg.

1 Like

Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 4:51am On Sep 05, 2015
Yesterday was rather unproductive. I didn't do all I had set out to do.

Activities
Handled a DIY SEO article for someone
Did preliminary market research

I was able to get a free software to merge my videos.
I uploaded a couple on YouTube and the quality reduces drastically. I figured a lot folks on the internet are facing the same challenge.

After trying WMV, FLV, and the recommended MP4, I finally settled to FLV format as my final file. It looked great on my mobile and when using my laptop to watch the YouTube, sometimes it is clear (my guess is that internet speed has an effect on this).

Today I will continue with my research, as well as handle a sales brochure for a client.

Links to my YouTube channel will come during the day. Feel free to advice, criticize, or subscribe.

Remain blessed.
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 5:46am On Sep 05, 2015
Here's a link to my YouTube channel. Kindly go through some of our jobs and provide feedback (Yes, I know, I am always in a fix of using "my" or "our" in sentences. I know I will have partners soon).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3U3yU_-FIYnmqixO81_ubA/feed

These are links to some of our videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVcQTuqfgAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqUQxt2sEY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhA2z6DN90o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq3k6tkHlOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfsItAe57cU

Feel free to subscribe to my channel
Re: My Startup Journey by Nairalander01: 5:46am On Sep 05, 2015
I've been looking for a software for creating white board animations/video, but video scribe seems to be a paid software angry
Cc INDISTRUCTABLEX
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 6:02am On Sep 05, 2015
I figured the size of my images prevented me from uploading on NL. Reduced by 60%. And yes, I had to watermark too (Copyright protected)
What do you think?

Re: My Startup Journey by Nairalander01: 6:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
Bro, Please I need your answer as regards the question I asked above.
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 11:47pm On Sep 05, 2015
Nairalander01:
Bro, Please I need your answer as regards the question I asked above.

Sorry for the delayed response.

Every software has a cracked version online. Search YouTube and someone would have made a video on how to install a cracked version.
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 4:45am On Sep 06, 2015
Yesterday was one of the few weekends I have had. For some reasons, I shoved work aside and slept all through the day.

I proceeded to create Twitter and Facebook pages later in the evening.
I also spoke with friends and colleagues about my brand.

I still have 3 research jobs and 1 animation so I'll be quite busy after church.
I need to round up with my website design and begin full promotion.

Happy Sunday, remain blessed.
Re: My Startup Journey by saintchibu(m): 7:22am On Sep 06, 2015
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

My freelance days started on Nairaland with the help of ladywriter. Yes, you know the make $1,000 thread.

In exactly one year being a freelancer writer, I have grown to add other skills. My skill set includes:

Market research
Website content
SEO services
Copy writing
Whiteboard animation
Graphics Design

Others
Resume writing
Transcription services

I am still a newbie in the last two and I am very selective when it comes to accepting related jobs.

My startup revolves around providing the first 6 services to global and local brands or businesses, with particular focus on startups.

Why are these relevant?
Irrespective of how fabulous an idea may appear, chances are that it will fail within the first few years because of wrong decisions relating to target market, location, and competition analysis, etc.

Go past being relevant, a lot of businesses cannot engage their audience. Copy writing will help eliminate this.
The list goes on and on.

I am a trained stenographer and my work is to record and produce Court Proceedings.
I am ready and willing to partner with you on Transcription Services as I can do realtime transcription at the speed of 160wpm.
Let me know if we can partner.
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 12:19pm On Sep 06, 2015
saintchibu:

I am a trained stenographer and my work is to record and produce Court Proceedings.
I am ready and willing to partner with you on Transcription Services as I can do realtime transcription at the speed of 160wpm.
Let me know if we can partner.

Kindly send me a pm.

Regards,
Clement S.
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 4:39am On Sep 07, 2015
Yesterday wasn't all I expected. I spent the bulk of my day searching for an image software. I thought I had it but it went missing when I upgraded my OS - vector magic to be precise.

This disorganized me a bit. Slept late searching for a free version or an alternative. Been awake since 2 searching.

Well, I have to improvise because I must deliver my job today.

I believe everything will go well. I will keep searching or opt for a paid version.

My plans for today - finish yesterday's jobs.

You can now follow us on twitter @sfthub
Or like our Facebook page at: www.Facebook.com/sfthub
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 6:55pm On Sep 10, 2015
It is commonly said that man proposes and God opposes. What appeared to me as the start of something great may have been brought to a sudden pause.

I finally travelled to my NYSC station and met the shock of my life. All these while I have shuffled my base and NYSC every Thursday for CDS.

I met them when the term was about to close so I settled on resuming September.

Being a hyperactive or rather meticulous person, I arrived Wednesday to beat Thursday holdup and meet CDS, as I had missed it the previous week.

Once again, there was holdup and I arrived late. Met a wet bed and cloths, but I settled in and slept like that. Enough about my woes.

There are two things I need to work - power and internet connection. None is present here. The network is not strong enough to work on my laptop and even on my mobile phone, it selects the sites I visit.

As for NEPA, GOD will judge them. Power supply here is epileptic.

I have two options - get a room in the city and travel every morning to my PPA and back. Implications - stress, cost of housing, transportation and risk of traveling.

Option 2 - Stuff myself with books and materials, courses.

I have chosen to settle for option two.
While keeping my business and clients in mind, I will go home every weekend and handle some jobs. Get a lot of books and videos to carry me through the week.

On my list are:
Digital marketing
Photo manipulation
Internet marketing
Programming
And a lot of business books

I have also decided to make out time and apply for the Shell Entrepreneurship stuff. God help me.
Re: My Startup Journey by naijacutee(f): 1:05am On Sep 11, 2015
Enjoying your journey. For the benefit of those of us who aren't familiar with NYSC, what does CDS stand for? Google isn't helping.
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 6:02am On Sep 11, 2015
naijacutee:
Enjoying your journey. For the benefit of those of us who aren't familiar with NYSC, what does CDS stand for? Google isn't helping.

Oh, sorry. It means Community Development Service. Service you render to your host community - could be extra classes to students, sex education, sanitation, road safety enlightenment, etc.
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 3:10pm On Sep 15, 2015
These few days have dampened my spirit and blurred my vision.
Tomorrow will make it one week since I found myself in this place - Ngor Okpala to be precise.

Power supply here is a luxury and my phone has been mostly switched off.

I fetch water from a stream - dear Lord
I make my own meals
I sleep alone
And yes, I am indoors for most part of the day.

About my business. It's on hold. My fiverr ratings are dropping like bombshells. I never had the chance to pause my gigs before leaving home.

My hosting is running without any progress.

I went to school yesterday and there were no students. I decided to cool off till next week.
I have also spoken the management about making Fridays a free day for me.

This will enable me shuffle PH every weekend to work a bit. Only God knows how much I have lost in these few days. Well they agreed.

I did a cost analysis on getting a house. Actually, I went to scout for some apartments on Saturday at Owerri.
At the end of the day, I will be spending twice the amount getting an apartment and traveling to Owerri every Thursday/Friday, as opposed to travelling to PH. I settled for the latter.

I have also been doing a bit of reading - resume writing and business plans/proposals.

All in all, I bless God for life, for health, for sound mind, and for a will.
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 1:51pm On Nov 23, 2015
Well, I am not dead yet and that is a good thing. It's been a while since I updated this thread and that's because my startup has been on hold.

A lot has happened and I am grateful to God. I have been able to manage myself without touching my monthly allawee (he he).

I still get a handful of jobs and God has been extremely faithful.

So my last update said startup was going to halt. Well, it did. However, I decided to travel home every weekend to handle some freelance jobs. Monday to Thursday I am at my PPA, Friday to Sunday I stay at home (man must survive).

I didn't learn about digital marketing anymore. I wanted something free but all the pro courses were paid.

Instead, I worked on my animation skills. I have since gone on to learn two new softwares for whiteboard animations - VideoMaker FX and Adobe After Effects.

I started learning AE 2 weeks ago and God has helped me close my first deal. Client was impressed with pre-mob samples.

I have also gotten several partnership invitations - I declined all because of time. Some startup brands have contacted me to handle their contents. Hopefully it works out well.

Generally, God has been good. And I've learned that I should never stop learning.

In the meantime, make I go set my exam questions jare. Teacher no be for mouth.

2 Likes

Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 9:09pm On Nov 27, 2015
So I talked about learning after effects. I had my first job published on YouTube today. I believe the only way to learn is by learning. More like getting your hands dirty.

After about a week of YouTube tutorials, I was able to come up with this. I hope my client loves it. I just got to know they are a major brand in the US. Fingers crossed.

Anyways, what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJV2CJl9Oto
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 7:40pm On Dec 24, 2015
One of the things that gives me confidence is the fact that I am still young. Although I am not where I want to be - my mates in the entertainment industry are flaunting their wealth. However, I believe I have enough time to make mistakes and learn from them as well. This has somewhat made me rash in taking business decisions. I am never scared of investing or letting go of substantial amount of money. I always believe I would get it back. And in some cases, I do.

Of recent I fell in love or rather, it was laid in my heart to start a delivery company within my state. I quickly swing into action, searching a domain name and researching about the business.

I also had the privilege of discussing with individuals who are already in the business. I had a business discussion with a professional web designer. This time I want pros to handle everything. I also got into talks with a lawyer on CAC incorporation as a limited liability.

Yes, I am still serving but for some reason, I can't wait to break free. One part of me wants to kick off immediately since I am usually home during weekends. Another part of me wants to wait till April when I pass out.

However, I want everything to be on ground before I pass out.

How I see life? Life is beautiful and I thank God for the gift of choice, the ability to fail and try again.

Meanwhile, I am taking an inbound marketing course with hub spot. Lol. Yea, I know, I seem confused. But knowledge is power after all.

Merry Christmas.
Re: My Startup Journey by DEGREE2466(m): 7:57pm On Dec 24, 2015
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

Market research
Website content
SEO services
Copy writing
Whiteboard animation
Graphics Design

Others
Resume writing
Transcription services

Why are these relevant?

The list goes on and on.

When you said "content writing" what do you mean please?

I received a mail from freelancer.com that I should write a 250-300 word quality article as a sample before he (the employer) would proceed with the hiring process.

Though no specific topic was given and serious warning was also given against copying from anywhere.

I just decided to write on "insurgency as a global problem"

If you need me to upload the work here, I will do that so that you help me to check it out and possible guide me on what exactly was needed of me because I didn't hear from the employer again after I sent the sample article

Thanks as I await your reply
Re: My Startup Journey by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 9:15pm On Dec 24, 2015
DEGREE2466:

When you said "content writing" what do you mean please?

As the name implies, content writing involve writing content for à specific purpose. It could be for a website, a brochure, or magazine, etc.

However, I prefer calling it copy writing, as this plays more.

No, you don't need to send a sample copy here.

There are several possibilities as to why a client don't call back.

1. The sample could be the main job and the client may have used it.

2. The client may not need your services again

3. The client may have gotten so busy and forget

4. He may have gotten a better offer

5. There may be some errors in your sample, causing him to lose confidence in your expertise.

The list is endless. But here's what I always tell myself "I am good at what I do. I won't chase jobs, jobs will chase me".

Dust yourself and bid for the next project.

I'll be glad to help.

Merry Christmas.

1 Like

Re: My Startup Journey by DEGREE2466(m): 9:22pm On Dec 24, 2015
INDESTRUCTABLEX:

As the name implies, content writing involve writing content for à specific purpose. It could be for a website, a brochure, or magazine, etc.

However, I prefer calling it copy writing, as this plays more.

No, you don't need to send a sample copy here.

There are several possibilities as to why a client don't call back.

1. The sample could be the main job and the client may have used it.

2. The client may not need your services again

3. The client may have gotten so busy and forget

4. He may have gotten a better offer

5. There may be some errors in your sample, causing him to lose confidence in your expertise.

The list is endless. But here's what I always tell myself "I am good at what I do. I won't chase jobs, jobs will chase me".

Dust yourself and bid for the next project.

I'll be glad to help.

Merry Christmas.

OK thanks

But writing for a magazine or a brochure as you stated, will the client tell you the specific topics to write on?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Game Over / Nigeria, Saudi Arabia Can Work Together To Achieve Oil Market Stability — Kachi / How To Make Money On Fiverr And Upwork Without Doing Any Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.