Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,083 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon (1055 Views)

‘those Celebrating My Downfall Celebrated Too Soon!’ – Ben Murray-bruce / Jonathan's Government And The Refineries, Lest We Forget. / Before We Forget History: Tinubu CV Vs Saraki CV (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by Francis5: 3:29pm On Aug 31, 2015
It's been 11 years now; but did we remember to mourn this brave woman whose life was cut short by religious barbarian?

Nigerian Muslim students beat teacher to death

22 Mar 2007 08:31| Staff Reporter

LinkedInTwitterGoogle+FacebookEmail

An angry mob of Muslim students in northern Nigeria beat their teacher to death on Wednesday for allegedly desecrating the Qur'an, police and witnesses said. Her attackers accused her of tearing a portion of the Qur'an she seized from a female student during an examination.

An angry mob of Muslim students in northern Nigeria beat their teacher to death on Wednesday for allegedly desecrating the Qur’an, police and witnesses said.

Oluwatoyin Olushekan was attacked and killed by the mob in Gandu Secondary School in Tudun Wada district, northern Gombe state.

Her attackers accused her of tearing a portion of the Qur’an she seized from a female student during an examination.

Bashir Dikko, Gombe state police spokesperson, said: “There was an incident today [Wednesday] at Gandu Secondary School in the metropolis in which a teacher was lynched by some students who also burnt her car and set three blocks of classrooms ablaze.

“The school principal, who is a Muslim, sustained minor injuries as he was also beaten by the students when he tried to shield the woman from her assailants.”

Police are still investigating the cause of the incident and have embarked on a 24-hour patrol, especially around the Tudun Wada area, the spokesperson said.

Dikko said eight people have been arrested over the killing and the state government has ordered the closure of all secondary schools in the metropolis to prevent the spread of the violence.

A neighbour of Olushekan, a nursing mother, described what happened.

“From what we learnt from the staff in the school, she was invigilating an examination on Islamic studies when she caught a female student engaged in a malpractice and seized the paper she was copying from and tore it,” Badamasi Aliyu said on the telephone from Gombe.

“A student who was standing by the window shouted ‘Allahu Akbar [God is great],’ telling other students that she had desecrated the Qur’an, and this led to the attack that caused her death. It was a cold-blooded murder,” Aliyu said.—Sapa-AFP

http://mg.co.za/article/2007-03-22-nigerian-muslim-students-beat-teacher-to-death

http://www.onefreeworldinternational.org/nigeria-christian-teacher-beaten-to-death-by-muslim-mob/

http://www.csw.org.uk/2007/06/05/press/637/article.htm
Re: Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by ichoku: 3:31pm On Aug 31, 2015
We have been on this for so long only that we didn't see it coming in full force.
Re: Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by LegatusGlaber(m): 3:34pm On Aug 31, 2015
Lord God of Hosts! do not leave us yet

Lest we forget
Re: Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by Francis5: 3:38pm On Aug 31, 2015
ichoku:
We have been on this for so long only that we didn't see it coming in full force.

Well, this is not current news, just posted it because each time such heinous crimes occur Nigerians tend to get on with their lives as though nothing serious had happened. Were it to be in saner climes, the parliament would have passed a law in her name in memorial of her. The worst thing is that I read that those arrested in connection with this murder have all quietly been released. So in essence she died in vain while discharging her duties as a teacher.
Re: Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by Idiataqueen(f): 3:59pm On Aug 31, 2015
Francis5:

This is not current news, just posted it because each time such heinous crimes occur Nigerians tend to get on with their lives as though nothing serious had happened. Were it to be in saner climes. The parliament would have passed a law in her name in memorial of her. The worst thing is that I read that those arrested in connection with this murder have all quietly been released. So in essence she died in vain while discharging her duties as a teacher.
Nigeria is not a country, i can still remember vividly it painful tho.Am tired of all dis fulani supremacy dat is why i dont pity them i only pitied d foreigners living in north, they all WISHED for dis bokoharam stuff when d food turn sour they started crying,i also pity jonathan too becos he is a victim.
Re: Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by Francis5: 4:12pm On Aug 31, 2015
Idiataqueen:
Nigeria is not a country, i can still remember vividly it painful tho.Am tired of all dis fulani supremacy dat is why i dont pity them i only pitied d foreigners living in north, they all WISHED for dis bokoharam stuff when d food turn sour they started crying,i also pity jonathan too becos he is a victim.

Correct
Re: Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by Francis5: 3:37am On Sep 01, 2015
Where are the Victim's Kinswo/men in Nairaland? In limbo? wink wink
Re: Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by StOla: 4:50am On Sep 01, 2015
The North entertained religious intolerance and propagated hate and violence.

The same religious intolerance has now consumed a large section of the North, turning it to a waste land.

Chickens coming home to roost.
Re: Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by jamace(m): 4:58am On Sep 01, 2015
Terrible people! angry
Re: Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by zimoni(f): 9:25am On Sep 01, 2015
Those dudes need deliverance. That was how they killed Gideon Okaluka in Kano.

RIP to the dead.

Karma is a Dam.
Re: Teacher Oluwatoyin Olushekan----lest We Forget---too Soon by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 02, 2015
You will die soon..... Watch your back

(1) (Reply)

Army Reinstates Over 3000 Dismissed Soldiers / New Day, New Gaffe From The Presidency - Barcanista / The Biafra Delusion!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.