Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. (5728 Views)

Boerboel Owners Please Come Abeg. I've Got Questions? / Our House Dog Have Born Puppy, Please Advice Abeg. / Abeg I Need Advice On Dog To Buy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by sayoberry(f): 11:14am On Sep 07, 2015
lacicrips:
No beatings of any kind please. Ignore that guy suggesting beating. It never works.

So I heard. And that the dogs can even turn on you while beating.
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by blasiangurl85(f): 11:57am On Sep 07, 2015
Hi, I used to have the exact same problem as you. My dog is a German Shepherd and goodness does he have energy!!! Everytime I take him for a walk it always just turned out to him dragging me. Once he jumped into a gutter while we were out walking. I watched countless videos and tried to wear him out before going out by playing fetch for 30-45 minutes before we actually head out but nothing worked until I got the prong collar. It's similar to a choke chain but I think it's more effective. From the first day I started using it he would walk by my side without dragging or pulling me. grin now we can go for long walks in the evenings without people staring at me and laughing at me struggling with my dog
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by naijainfogalery: 12:34pm On Sep 07, 2015
You keep making the same mistake, dont try to train them together, start with the female, then you can interchange them after some minitues, and avoid repeating the command sit sit sit. First of all bring one of them out, play with her a lil bit. after playing, bring out the food (treat) hold it in your hand and ignore the dog totally. it will climb you and stuffs, just ignore, after doing it for about 2 mins just watch as its gonna sit, then give it one chicken, move back again and repeat this till she understand that no sitting no food. And its always better you chain them before the trainning, makes them behave better lol

sayoberry:
Update:
Yesterday evening I went to the cage with a long stick and. Released them as they were coming toward me I stretched the stick as if I was going to hit them. they took to their heels (which I don't like) so I had to drop it and enjoy the almost endless torture of extremely thick saliva grin

This morn I went over with pieces of chicken in my hand. NA sit! Sit! Sit I shout sote... I gave the female one piece.

When it was d males turn when I said 'sit!' He just jumped on me and pushed the bowl of chicken from my hand. That was how the lesson ended with him eating the chicken from the floor.

I'm thinking next time I should chain him before training ABI?

1 Like

Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by naijainfogalery: 12:35pm On Sep 07, 2015
hello, how does that work, kindly shed more light. thanks
blasiangurl85:
Hi, I used to have the exact same problem as you. My dog is a German Shepherd and goodness does he have energy!!! Everytime I take him for a walk it always just turned out to him dragging me. Once he jumped into a gutter while we were out walking. I watched countless videos and tried to wear him out before going out by playing fetch for 30-45 minutes before we actually head out but nothing worked until I got the prong collar. It's similar to a choke chain but I think it's more effective. From the first day I started using it he would walk by my side without dragging or pulling me. grin now we can go for long walks in the evenings without people staring at me and laughing at me struggling with my dog
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by exclusive7(m): 1:16pm On Sep 07, 2015
sayoberry:

I am always stern! Except if my stern is not enough.

As for potty training I don't think these dogs would ever listen. What I did through out this week was to release them in the morning, let them do all d pooping in the compound and lock them back in by evening. But I suffered for it. Clothes spread outside were torn, chairs soilt, plastics ruined with teeth, flowers half gone and lots of dead lizards!
maybe you have not been stern enough.. let them poo outside the compound not in the compound.. do it regularly and they would stop at some point
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by Apitch(m): 2:51pm On Sep 07, 2015
I heard someone say beating never works, that's exactly the same thing they say when raising kids as if the beating will kill them.
Omo me dey beat, slap, kick etc and yet the dog comes back apologises and life goes on

2 Likes

Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by Richybang: 9:08pm On Sep 07, 2015
please the prong collar is not good for dogs o I will advice you not to use it if you use force on it you can dig holes round your dog neck or kill it which you will not like if you don't believe it Google it
Choke and prong collars are designed to
punish dogs for pulling by inflicting pain
and discomfort. They can cause serious
physical and emotional damage to dogs and
should never be used.
The use of choke collars has been
associated with whiplash, fainting, spinal
cord injuries leading to paralysis, crushing
of the trachea with partial or complete
asphyxiation, crushing and/or fracture of
the bones in the larynx, dislocated neck
bones, bruising of the esophagus, bruising
and damage to the skin and tissues in the
neck, brain damage and prolapsed eyes
caused by sharp increases in pressure in
the head, and other injuries.
The metal spikes of prong collars pinch the
skin around dogs’ necks when they pull and
can scratch or puncture them. Over time,
this can cause dogs to develop scar tissue
(which has no feeling) and/or build up a
tolerance to the painful pinching sensation
and thus continue to pull, making walks
even more difficult. Dogs may interpret the
tightening of a choke or prong collar
around their neck as a stranglehold (which
it is, after all!) and become fearful or even
aggressive. please get rid of that prong collar before you cause damage to the dog
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by exclusive7(m): 10:19am On Sep 08, 2015
naijainfogalery:
Its like a colar that you can use to shock them when they misbehave
na lie ooh....samuel colt is a gun,,,
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by exclusive7(m): 10:27am On Sep 08, 2015
barcaboi:
I'm not a guru but if u wanna get rid of poo take them outta the cage after feeding because they poo after eating moat times....2.. early in the morning too take them outta the cage...it worked for me...then try notice whenever they make unusual noise or whine in dia cage and release them; mine gimme signs when she wanna poo
MATING: there's a period of 21 days that blood comes out from the females vagina like menstrual period; that's the 1st sign and by the 10th or 11th day u can mate with a male; differs in dogs..google 2 know more

LISTENING TO U: feeding time is the best time 2 train them. make dem sit b4 u give dem d food....it takes time but worth it...den take dem out one at a time till u can handle dem 2geda

True..thats what i did to my boerboel and she stopped pooing indoors..
but fr d feeding..making them sit b4 they eat..it wont happen,they are adult dogs,they lost that training when they were little,doing it now would take a whole lot of time and constant training. .The best would be keeping the dogs away from the food for some time b4 allowing them to eat
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by barcaboi(m): 10:40am On Sep 08, 2015
exclusive7:

True..thats what i did to my boerboel and she stopped pooing indoors..
but fr d feeding..making them sit b4 they eat..it wont happen,they are adult dogs,they lost that training when they were little,doing it now would take a whole lot of time and constant training. .The best would be keeping the dogs away from the food for some time b4 allowing them to eat
it takes time but try it....I succeeded wt the 2yr old caucasian I adopted....he sits on his own now....Tie ur dogs and push their rear 2 sit everytime u want to feed den tell them sit everytime b4 u feed wt the food olate on ur hand....they'll do anything 2 make sure dey eat
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by blasiangurl85(f): 3:07pm On Sep 08, 2015
Richybang:
please the prong collar is not good for dogs o I will advice you not to use it if you use force on it you can dig holes round your dog neck or kill it which you will not like if you don't believe it Google it
Choke and prong collars are designed to
punish dogs for pulling by inflicting pain
and discomfort. They can cause serious
physical and emotional damage to dogs and
should never be used.
The use of choke collars has been
associated with whiplash, fainting, spinal
cord injuries leading to paralysis, crushing
of the trachea with partial or complete
asphyxiation, crushing and/or fracture of
the bones in the larynx, dislocated neck
bones, bruising of the esophagus, bruising
and damage to the skin and tissues in the
neck, brain damage and prolapsed eyes
caused by sharp increases in pressure in
the head, and other injuries.
The metal spikes of prong collars pinch the
skin around dogs’ necks when they pull and
can scratch or puncture them. Over time,
this can cause dogs to develop scar tissue
(which has no feeling) and/or build up a
even more difficult. Dogs may interpret the
tightening of a choke or prong collar
around their neck as a stranglehold (which
it is, after all!) and become fearful or even
aggressive. please get rid of that prong collar before you cause damage to the dog

I did a lot of research before using the prong collar and I only use it when we go for walks. It's not intended for long term use but just to correct the dog. Trust me it works like magic if used properly. I think I can say that for me I'd rather have a dog who walks beside me in a prong collar than one who is choking himself with a normal collar. I believe that will even do more damage than the prong collar can do. Plus the edges aren't sharp. I did test it on myself and it doesn't hurt, it's basically supposed to mimic when a dog grabs another by the throat to calm down. As long as your dog is a fast learner he or she will know that the more they try to pull the more he's getting gripped by the collar and he will calm down. It's not easy for me to handle a dog who is three times stronger than me talk less for the op who has 2 big dogs. In my opinion if used properly it can help correct the behaviour of pulling and dragging. It's when it's not used properly that you can have issues
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by Richybang: 4:38pm On Sep 08, 2015
blasiangurl85:

I did a lot of research before using the prong collar and I only use it when we go for walks. It's not intended for long term use but just to correct the dog. Trust me it works like magic if used properly. I think I can say that for me I'd rather have a dog who walks beside me in a prong collar than one who is choking himself with a normal collar. I believe that will even do more damage than the prong collar can do. Plus the edges aren't sharp. I did test it on myself and it doesn't hurt, it's basically supposed to mimic when a dog grabs another by the throat to calm down. As long as your dog is a fast learner he or she will know that the more they try to pull the more he's getting gripped by the collar and he will calm down. It's not easy for me to handle a dog who is three times stronger than me talk less for the op who has 2 big dogs. In my opinion if used properly it can help correct the behaviour of pulling and dragging. It's when it's not used properly that you can have issues
your dog will get use to the pain its going to build up a
even more difficult. now what the use of it the prong collar when he/she is use to the pain and continue to pull when he is still on the prong collar may love it affect there mental stability making the worse than before
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by sayoberry(f): 6:05pm On Sep 09, 2015
I'm reading and taking to all your advices.

My female dog sat when I asked her to. But there was no chicken today. grin

Chicken head don finish for house
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by sayoberry(f): 6:22pm On Sep 09, 2015
naijainfogalery:
. And its always better you chain them before the trainning, makes them behave better lol

Rule number one
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by redfigure(m): 2:42pm On Sep 11, 2015
sayoberry:
1. My dogs are now disobedient!!
I have a male and a female boerboel.
I used to walk them everyday and we were always the look of the neighborhood till about a month ago when they decided to disgrace me publicly. grin they dragged me till I fell. I was shouting 'stop, don't, sit, wait' and every possible command my brain could recollect. Them no gree me o.
That was how I left the chains and walked bck to my house with them jumping all over me till we entered.

They re big now and playing with them is really difficult. Once I let them out of the cage, they start jumping on me and bathing me with- oh lord save me from that thick saliva! But when I try to tell them to stop they won't and they leave me with saliva face and nail scratches then proceed to play on their own. Its like they've gone deaf except of course they hear their names.

How do I get them to listen?
I'm wondering if beating them would help. As I also read if u hit d dog too much he may turn wild.

2. I have NO IDEA of what the heat, mating, and birthing process entails. I know the female has been on heat once- someone else noticed though.

3. Washing their cage everyday. DH has to go through washing off poop every morning and evening from their cage. Nd its getting tiring esp if he comes back from work tired and I have to convince him of how nice it would be for the dogs not to die. Can someone please teach me how to potty train these disobedient dogs?

4. Supplements. Each time I go to buy their food people always have one recommendation or another about supplements. Can someone pls tell me very good supplements for them?

Thank you.
DIY Dog Training... www.trainadoggy.com

1 Like

Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by redfigure(m): 2:45pm On Sep 11, 2015
sayoberry:
I'm reading and taking to all your advices.

My female dog sat when I asked her to. But there was no chicken today. grin

Chicken head don finish for house
lol... giving treats to your dog doesnt mean you should just give her everything. A finger size treat is enough
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by redfigure(m): 12:22am On Sep 12, 2015
blasiangurl85:

I'm sure you don't intend to use it for life, dogs are quite smart, If you use a normal collar, he'll definitely pull again. Please correct me if I'm wrong oh. Positive reinforcement is the key. Requires attention and patience but it's fun
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by blasiangurl85(f): 2:14pm On Sep 12, 2015
redfigure:

I'm sure you don't intend to use it for life, dogs are quite smart, If you use a normal collar, he'll definitely pull again. Please correct me if I'm wrong oh. Positive reinforcement is the key. Requires attention and patience but it's fun

No I do not intend to use it for life. From what I read when I did my research it's just for correction. I have started using his normal collar and he doesn't pull anymore. If he gets out of line I just tug a bit and he realises he needs to slow down. So in my opinion it has served it's purpose and worked great for me. smiley

1 Like

Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by sayoberry(f): 9:29am On Nov 17, 2015
please does anyone know how these dogs mate? Tracy has been on heat for eight days and has been restless, while troy is not allowing the whole neighborhood rest with barks. I released the two yesternight but each time troy tried to climb, Tracy bit him.
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by barcaboi(m): 12:13pm On Nov 22, 2015
sayoberry:
please does anyone know how these dogs mate? Tracy has been on heat for eight days and has been restless, while troy is not allowing the whole neighborhood rest with barks. I released the two yesternight but each time troy tried to climb, Tracy bit him.
she's not ready at 8days....even 9th day is a probability. ...but from day 10-15, she'll even give him her yansh without kobo but u might need an experienced hand to help mate dem because if it is her 1st time then it might be hard....wch area are u, ur vet or a breeder close by cld help
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by sayoberry(f): 11:32pm On Dec 24, 2015
barcaboi:

she's not ready at 8days....even 9th day is a probability. ...but from day 10-15, she'll even give him her yansh without kobo but u might need an experienced hand to help mate dem because if it is her 1st time then it might be hard....wch area are u, ur vet or a breeder close by cld help

By the time I got a vet, tracy was off heat. sad
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by Prodeegee(m): 6:28am On Dec 25, 2015
I was about saying pls ask blasiangurl85..but I see shes here already. She had dsame issue you have.

People here have already said the main points.

Train them separately. Release them one at a time.

No spanking please. It only makes your dog scared. Not like its not ideal to beat your dog or sumtin...but ask yourself if you want a scared dog.

Have a constant time you release them early in the morning. This would help them poo. Dont worry it wont work ommediately. Might take days but when they know youre coming to release them probably in the morning and night before you go to bed they'll learn to hold that poo.

You might also try this. If you usually lock them separately, lock them together in dsame cage. If the cage isnt too wide they wont poo until you come.

On walking them, teach them hw to sit before feeding, leaving the gate, opening their cage and times alike. And teach them how to sit on leash. Use a short leash too...with either the choke chain or prong collar. This must be after they have mastered the sit command. Walking without the choker or prong is possible too. This way, with the short leash you are in control. If they try to pull, stop moving. Stand still and tell them to sit. Once they are seated you can move on. This would take longer but efficient.

And like I said, do this to the dogs 1 after the other. Dnt even walk them together.

Merry Xmas
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by barcaboi(m): 7:52am On Dec 25, 2015
sayoberry:

By the time I got a vet, tracy was off heat. sad
chai....where you at. ...incase of next time
Re: Boerboel 201. Abeg Help A Sister. by rumenase(m): 9:12am On Jun 09, 2017
how far withe dogs OP. sayoberry

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Boy Spark!( Picture Diary) / Purebred English Bulldog Puppies Available / I Have A Pure Breed Puppies For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.