Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,635 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala (85307 Views)

History: Arhuanran -the Giant Warrior Prince Of Benin Kingdom / AZIA Yam Festival 2017 In Ihiala Anambra State / Anambra Man Laments Killing Of Pythons [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by kossyablaze(m): 9:03am On Sep 01, 2015
free2ryhme:

is there any relations with the eke mentioned in this op thread
no...not at all.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by MissSlimbody(f): 9:05am On Sep 01, 2015
free2ryhme:
what is the meaning of nweke?

Child of a pythongringrin

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by WORDALIVE: 9:07am On Sep 01, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
Sorry.
We don't practice such culture in Anambra state.
If you can mention 3 towns in Anambra state that practice such culture i will give him/her $500

I'm so serious.
I will transfer $500 to the person in the next 8 hours
My friend I know you are not an Anambrarian. In the whole of Idemili pythons(Eke) is not touched. Idemili is made up of more than 15 towns In Ngodo village Nise in Awka south too.

3 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Rotimi47: 9:07am On Sep 01, 2015
Rapmoney:
In many places in Igboland, the python is regarded as a ‘sacred being’ which no one is expected to kill, harm or maltreat. It is an age-long observance because to most Igbo communities, Eke or python is seen as the symbol of the sea or river goddess. It protects and provides for the people, both in terms of wealth, fertility and long life. To the people, eke is a harmless ‘being’ and it is actually harmless to those who do not kill it. To them, eke symbolises peace, prosperity and abundance, especially in the waters.

At Umuohi, Okija, in Ihiala local government area of Anambra state, a man called Ukata Nnanna in an interview gave a clearer picture of why the eke has come to be regarded as being so sacred and in some places is worshipped as a goddess.

"The story of eke we have here is sacred and different. But before we go on, it is good to point out that the mystery surrounding eke is greater than most of us can actually understand. Our own case is quite peculiar. In the olden days, our people used to provide shelter for strangers. This was how the issue of eke became a symbol of respect and regards here in our village", Nnanna said, grinning and shaking his head repeatedly.

"There was one certain aged widow who was said to have been driven away by her husband people. She set out on a journey, a journey she did not know where it would take her. When she got to Umuohi, Okija, she stopped and begged our people to provide a place for her to rest her feet. She was by then too tired to continue on her way.

"Our people did not only give her a place to settle down, she was also asked to remain with us. Without knowing it, our people had given shelter and hope to a woman with plenty of mysterious powers. Before the woman died she made a lot of promises to our people. In the first place she asked that her house be built by the riverside. No one knew why she made that sort of request. But then at her death she decreed that no Umuohi woman should be maltreated by her husband people. And wherever she is married to, on the first night of her arrival, a python would appear to encourage and strengthen her. To date, this situation still exists; that once an Umuohi woman is being threatened at her husband’s place, a python appears, sometimes a very big one that would frighten people out of their wits. For this reason, a lot of people are sceptical about marrying an Umuohi woman.

"The woman did not even die. She turned into eke. She lives inside the Okpu stream or if you like river, which is along Owerri-Onitsha road, Anambra state. There you can see this big python and it comes out once the sun is out to suntan. This is what it does everyday. It is so huge that a lot of people are scared of it," Nnanna stressed. "But we the Umuohi people are not," he boasted.

The python which is called eke ogwugwu-mili therefore is said to be the mother of all the pythons that litter the length and breath of Igboland. Today, anyone who kills or maims eke either knowingly or unknowingly is compelled to buy all the necessary materials with which to bury it. These range from white cloth, to coffin, kola nuts, white chalk and so on. The coffin would be placed in a conspicuous place where passers-by are wont to pay condolences and show some sign of remorse. Where one fails to bury the eke in the traditional way, more stringent punishments will be placed on him and members of his family. Sometimes he would be ostracised or banished from the land depending on the circumstances of the death of the python. Some even have small pox sickness placed on them.

It is because of all these that eke does not bite the natives of Okija and other places where these observances are made. If eke bites one by error, all it does is to hiss, and then the bite will have no effect on the person. Even then, Christians also obey the law; they too do not kill eke. Why would anyone kill it when it does not harm him? Some people would often ask. Eke is a common sight in many places in Igboland where they are at liberty to crawl without let or hindrance. There is the eke Idemili (for Idemili, river). There is also eke Ogba which is supposed to be the king of all the pythons. That one lives inside huge forests and so has no contact with human civilization.

Each area gives the eke a name according to what it does for them and the deity it represents. For some, it is eke atamili’ or eke nkwo ocha, all in the name of what place it has in their communal lifestyle and existence. Today at Umuohi, Okija, eke still remains their symbol, some kind of rallying point. And you are not expected to treat their daughters with disdain and disrespect.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/archive2/tblnews_Detail.php?id=26454
Told you Igbos are the most fetish people in Nigeria but they will keep trying to portray the Yorubas as fetish.Yes some Yoruba people are fetish but almost all Igbos are fetish.

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by waldigit: 9:09am On Sep 01, 2015
thekingsmen:
Its rampant all through Orsu- Oru- Orlu- Isu- Njaba all in imo... so get ur facts right before spewing ignorance

spiritual illiteracy is disastersad

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Hexzagon: 9:09am On Sep 01, 2015
Outside cultural background, why kill harmless animals? Don't you know you're distorting the ecosystem? Is it until oyimbo say we shouldn't then we don't?... oya de don talk am, no kill am. Magana yakare

5 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by o42austino(m): 9:10am On Sep 01, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
Sorry.
We don't practice such culture in Anambra state.
Adazi Ani,Adazi Enu ,Nenwi ,Agulu,Obeledu,Awka Etiti,Awka ,Nenni ,Arro,Echida,Nanka e.t.c.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by haytripple(m): 9:10am On Sep 01, 2015
Na for there area they think na sacred, make dem take am to other area,they go no say that creature na sweet meal lol..........sacred indeed, I hate to see them

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 9:10am On Sep 01, 2015
NnamdiN:
I envy you man. The glo bill board I use to recognize oba junction is no longer there cheesy sometimes if I don't pay close attention, they drive pass sef and I'd have to come back again grin

Is it Oba junction or Aba junction opposite Nawgu Town?

I know Oba folks don't kill snakes.

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by OkutaNla: 9:10am On Sep 01, 2015
Mehn, that means they will have perhaps millions of snakes in those parts since they don't kill them since all these years. Scary shocked
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Luckygurl(f): 9:11am On Sep 01, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
Sorry. We don't practice such culture in Anambra state.
Get your facts right. Idemili people has this as an age long tradition.

3 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by chigoizie7(m): 9:11am On Sep 01, 2015
wacoj:

I schooled in Anambra state and i know that this nonsense culture is VERY pronounced there.
Go to a place like NIBO or NISE in Awka south LGA, they practice same culture.
The funny thing is that they are also scared of going close to eke when they see one.
I once challenged a native of the town to touch it if it doesn't bite.
My fellow students once killed a very giant eke at night and NO shit happened.

I am from Abia state and we kill anything called snake. They are evil.

I also bet that in your town, u guys don't kill one particular animal, the ones u keep sacred, and if so, why den do u not respect other peoples tradition/norms when in their town?

As for going near or touching it? Its not because it bites but because that flowery and shiny skin gives one goose bums when seen.

Just like in Awka, they don't kill monkeys, go to awka u will see monkeys everywhere.

In umunede n delta, dey don't kill tortoise too.

I guess the people of akokwa in imo does not kill "okwa".

The list goes on and on, so, if u happen to find yourself in a particular area, please respect the tradition/customs of that people @least it breeds peaceful co-existence. It does not. Remove anting from your skin or health if u do that.

An old adage says, if u are in rome, behave like romans

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by per1: 9:12am On Sep 01, 2015
Lilyomi:
Here in nigeria? Wow I love to learn new things.
It is good to learn any thing, every thing or learn nothing but please never fail to learn Jesus u need Him to eternal.
We serve things that are nothing,things that God have made us have dominion over, we
Claim that christainity which is a way of life is a borrowed culture, we serve unknown gods we have been so used to darkness that ligth looks foreign but let me say that the earth is the Lord and it fullness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by fortunechy(m): 9:12am On Sep 01, 2015
honestly,if ebonyi pple meet diz one they will buy fish again for one gud yr

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by petermichaels(m): 9:15am On Sep 01, 2015
Sure say no b zoo pix b dat?
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by kenenbcc: 9:15am On Sep 01, 2015
The best creature ever, we don't kill it and it doesn't harm us, all abakaliki and ibeagwa people in my village have killed them all, however Eke still differenciates them from the Noble men . Am from Aguata, Anambra .

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Hexzagon: 9:16am On Sep 01, 2015
o42austino:
Adazi Ani,Adazi Enu ,Nenwi ,Agulu,Obeledu,Awka Etiti,Awka ,Nenni ,Arro,Echida,Nanka e.t.c.
It's Ichida brov... And yes, we don't kill, it's not worshipped either.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by repogirl(f): 9:17am On Sep 01, 2015
Strange but very true, they harm no one...you can even carry it sef and it will be looking at you.

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by focus7: 9:17am On Sep 01, 2015
Funny!! If an Umuohi woman is maltreated a phython appears in the house, the igbos better warn their eke not to appear in a Lagos compound, I swear it will be killed and be served as pepper soup. So primitive set of people going everywhere to make noise how they developed Lagos, Abuja and Kano while they lives with pythons in their village.

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by shaboti: 9:17am On Sep 01, 2015
[sup][/sup]
free2ryhme:
what is the meaning of nweke?
èké is a day in igbo calender different from éké (python).
So nweke is a child born on the èké market day.

3 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by sebyt4u(m): 9:18am On Sep 01, 2015
Okija nawaooo
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by possibilita(m): 9:18am On Sep 01, 2015
Seeeee MEAT,runs outta threat,runs home n grabs a matchet n sac #headingtoanambra
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by bigiyaro(m): 9:18am On Sep 01, 2015
nawao, slavery get many colours.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by NnamdiN: 9:19am On Sep 01, 2015
EggovinMma:

Is it Oba junction or Aba junction opposite Nawgu Town?

I know Oba folks don't kill snakes.
oba junction towards onitsha
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Roseey0(f): 9:21am On Sep 01, 2015
Okija Enyinu!!! grin

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by highmood(m): 9:21am On Sep 01, 2015
In my place and even my local govt we do not kill Eke and it has not been said anytime that Eke bit anyone. But I have heard stories too that it hisses if it mistakenly bit anyone. I have slept in my aunty's room where a big Eke coiled beside a water container, but as I woke up, brothers and sister on Nairaland, Usain Bolts is still a learner. But i cant go close to any python in another man's land oh. But the story I seems to disagree with is the fact that a woman migrated to ihiala and turned into Eke. That is just a myth. And surprisingly I came in contact with someone from NEMBE LGA in Bayelsa who said they don't kill Pythons and if it is mistakenly killed, must be buried as stated by the man interviewed in the report.

4 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by goldenvicky(f): 9:22am On Sep 01, 2015
Plss sum1 shuld be tell hε̲̣̣rε̲̣̣ dis custom is practised so I can watch my steps.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 01, 2015
NnamdiN:
oba junction towards onitsha

Is it Oba or Aba, sorry is it along the Onitcha awka road or the Onitcha Imo road?
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by charlesucheh(m): 9:22am On Sep 01, 2015
EKE or EKENE! I'll take to my heels whenever i see this life threatening monster!! CHISOS!!
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by igmacco(m): 9:23am On Sep 01, 2015
Make ebonyi ppl visit okija, dat eke name go be sorry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Alaafin Adeyemi And His New Wife, Chioma (Photo) / LILO OGUN IBILE FUN ITOJU,IWOSAN ATI ASEYORI / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.