Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

Steps To Christ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Steps To Christ (730 Views)

8 Signs You're Under Spiritual Attack And 3 Steps To Freedom / Adeboye, Olukoya, Oyedepo, Oritsajafor, Listen To Christ Warning & Amend Ur Way / Should You Break Up With Your Boyfriend After Giving Your Life To Christ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steps To Christ by Bobbyaf(m): 5:42am On Apr 02, 2009
Are you struggling in your Christian path? Want some sound spiritual guidance? Then tune in to the topic.

It was to redeem us that Jesus lived and suffered and died. He became "a Man of Sorrows," that we might be made partakers of everlasting joy. God permitted His beloved Son, full of grace and truth, to come from a world of indescribable glory, to a world marred and blighted with sin, darkened with the shadow of death and the curse. He permitted Him to leave the bosom of His love, the adoration of the angels, to suffer shame, insult, humiliation, hatred, and death. "The chastisement of our peace was upon Him; and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5. Behold Him in the wilderness, in Gethsemane, upon the cross! The spotless Son of God took upon Himself the burden of sin. He who had been one with God, felt in His soul the awful separation that sin makes between God and man. This wrung from His lips the anguished cry, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" Matthew 27:46. It was the burden of sin, the sense of its terrible enormity, of its separation of the soul from God--it was this that broke the heart of the Son of God.

But this great sacrifice was not made in order to create in the Father's heart a love for man, not to make Him willing to save. No, no! "God so loved the world, that He gave His only-begotten Son." John 3:16. The Father loves us, not because of the great propitiation, but He provided the propitiation because He loves us. Christ was the medium through which He could pour out His infinite love upon a fallen world. "God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself." 2 Corinthians 5:19. God suffered with His Son. In the agony of Gethsemane, the death of Calvary, the heart of Infinite Love paid the price of our redemption.
Re: Steps To Christ by faithfaith: 9:05am On Apr 02, 2009
Good.

Please, can you clarify if you intend this thread to be on salvation or for those who are already christians (born again)? The subject suggests topic of salvation but the opening statement suggests those who have already believed and struggling.
Re: Steps To Christ by Bobbyaf(m): 4:07pm On Apr 02, 2009
This thread is for both sets of people, Christians as well as those who are contemplating becoming one. My opening paragraphs were designed to paint a picture of God's love for us humans.

Can we look at some of the steps we need to take to come to Christ. What do you think the first step is?
Re: Steps To Christ by JeSoul(f): 4:55pm On Apr 02, 2009
Bobbyaf:

This thread is for both sets of people, Christians as well as those who are contemplating becoming one. My opening paragraphs were designed to paint a picture of God's love for us humans.

Can we look at some of the steps we need to take to come to Christ. What do you think the first step is?

I think its different for different people as we're all coming from different circumstances and backgrounds. However universally, I think the first step to coming to Christ is to believe in Jesus and His death, sacrifice and resurrection. Then repentance and the rest follow.
Re: Steps To Christ by MadMax1(f): 5:17pm On Apr 02, 2009
@post
Great thread! And long overdue.
Does it mean Christians can ask for advice on faith issues here? And other christians can answer those as well, not just you?
Re: Steps To Christ by Bobbyaf(m): 4:42am On Apr 03, 2009
@post
Great thread! And long overdue.
Does it mean Christians can ask for advice on faith issues here? And other christians can answer those as well, not just you?

This is for every Christian. We are free to discuss faith issues here as well with the hope of rendering spiritual support to any of us who might be struggling with certain issues, or who might be having difficulties understanding difficult bible passages. So it can be any issue.

Let me ask us to discuss the rudiments of faith in the broader sense. Probably we could begin with the new birth. Where does the Christian journey begins?
Re: Steps To Christ by Truth11: 6:27am On Apr 03, 2009
Bobby,

Thank you for a thread where peaceful and meaningful discussions can be held.

Bobbyaf:

This thread is for both sets of people, Christians as well as those who are contemplating becoming one. Can we look at some of the steps we need to take to come to Christ. What do you think the first step is?

I would say one should keep this in mind, what JeSeoul said "I think its different for different people as we're all coming from different circumstances and backgrounds. " This is important. Many a times we think the path I or my church has set for salvation is the perfect way and fail to see the bigger picture through God's eyes that He can lead in millions of ways!

My understanding of some steps one must take to come to Christ anywhere in the world, any background, colour, etc.:
1)believe in God's son Jesus, his death and resurrection and the reason for his death and resurrection - the gospel of first importance. Believing is important. (For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve.1Cor 15:3-5)
2)total surrender, full confession. One has to come on his/her own will, repeating a prayer after someone is ok, but the bottom line is the heart which is praying has to beat honestly. conscientiously, and fearfully for God through Jesus and repentance has to be 100% and not partial or for one incident or to escape a difficult situation. Whole life has to be surrendered before God unconditionally. (If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives. IJohn 1:9-10)
3)Confession with own mouth is necessary, (Rom 10:9-10), audible words have meaning in records of heaven (For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."wink  I am speaking in general, for exceptions, God has exceptional ways!

I would say these are the basic first steps.

Blessings,

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Christians Fear Cancer So Much? / mp / Nigerian Hell? Just Laugh It Off!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.