Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,445 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics (51489 Views)

99% Will Fail This Simple Logic, I Swear / 95% Will Pronounce This Number Wrongly.. / 95% Of Nairalander Will Fail This,picx. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by ajumaxbabe(f): 2:39pm On Sep 05, 2015
ans is 18. No bracket to open or close. Op oya tell us d answer joh
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 05, 2015
coolio2014:
Dude answer is 12. Using Bodmas

3 + 3 x 3 - 3 + 3

BODMAS

Step 1: 3 x 3 = 9
Step 2: 3 + 9 = 12
Step 3: 12 - 3 +3
-3 cancels out +3
Hence, answer = 12.

From your step3: 12 - 3 + 3
Not taking the minus sign as inherent part of 3,
Step Step4: 12 - 6 = 6.
I believe cancelling out 3 by 3 is equivalent to an error of first subtracting 3 from 12 and adding 3 to it.
I won't however say you are wrong cos i just can't be quite sure anymore. It's been over 2decades i left maths but while i was in it, i was one of the best maths students in Lagos state as a whole. I'll need to subtract at least 23yrs from my age to know who among us is right but if you are quite younger than me and good in the subject, i will want to believe you are right. infact you don't need to be good in maths to get it right as this is the simplest of maths. Na old age dey worry me wey i no fit be sure. cry
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Folzye(m): 3:20pm On Sep 05, 2015
BishopMagic:

simple bodmas

[3+(3*3)]-(3+3)

= [3+9]-6

= 12-6

=6

Olodos below me will say 12

For sake of all you olodos mentioning me here is a simplified explanation for you retarrds that I made on page 8

Guy, U must be a student of the department of PURE AND APPLIED ZERO... U need to work on ur maths skills -(X+X) = -X-X= - 2X...so check again
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by repogirl(f): 3:24pm On Sep 05, 2015
anigbajumo:

Una stil dy yern on top wrong answer....

Ma,u ar wrong
calculator will solve it directly and not by BODMAS....I stand by my answer.6
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by solla22: 3:25pm On Sep 05, 2015
dearbunny:

-3+3=0

its not -3+3 bros its -(3+3)
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by anigbajumo(m): 3:26pm On Sep 05, 2015
repogirl:

Dat s wea u got it wrong....

Correct anz is 12 madam
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by anigbajumo(m): 3:28pm On Sep 05, 2015
Folzye:
Guy, U must be a student of the department of PURE AND APPLIED ZERO... U need to work on ur maths skills -(X+X) = -X-X= - 2X...so check again

God bless u,I hope he bliv nw....
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by solla22: 3:29pm On Sep 05, 2015
Bandeco:

Shamefully, u failed it!

3+3*3-3+3
By applying BODMAS
3*3=9
SO we now have 3+9-3+3----(1)
Eqn 1 is same as 3+9+3-3= 12

Another Shameless Nigerian quick to insult.
in Bodmas Addition takes precedence over subtraction so the equations are not same

3+9-3+3 = (3+9)-(3+3) = 6 as you add before subtract
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by anigbajumo(m): 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2015
repogirl:

Da nigga above u hav already point out wea yer mistake is.

Ar u undergraduate or postgraduate?
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by repogirl(f): 3:31pm On Sep 05, 2015
anigbajumo:

Dat s wea u got it wrong....

Correct anz is 12 madam
yeah you are right, I checked it out online and I found out without the bracket, it isn't BODMAS.

Check out the screenshots.

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by anigbajumo(m): 3:33pm On Sep 05, 2015
repogirl:
yeah you are right, I checked it out online and I found out without the bracket, it isn't BODMAS.

Clap 4yer self
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by repogirl(f): 3:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
anigbajumo:

Da nigga above u hav already point out wea yer mistake is.

Ar u undergraduate or postgraduate?
I guess that's a rhetorical question.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by anigbajumo(m): 3:35pm On Sep 05, 2015
solla22:

Another Shameless Nigerian quick to insult.
in Bodmas Addition takes precedence over subtraction so the equations are not same

3+9-3+3 = (3+9)-(3+3) = 6 as you add before subtract

Go back to primary sch to learn elementary maths.

U ar jst a shame,who told u to include dat rubbish bracket...

This is wea I wil catch u,do dis and see yer life.

9-3+6=
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by anigbajumo(m): 3:37pm On Sep 05, 2015
repogirl:
I guess that's a rhetorical question.

Lols,am xpecting anz
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Teophilus96(m): 4:19pm On Sep 05, 2015
AdeniyiA:

lol.. professor, why don't you check page 9.

link.... https://www.nairaland.com/2576583/photo-95-people-fail-simple/9
Bros Dont mind me, I was half asleep when I Typed that nonsense.The solution; 3+3*3-3+3 =3+(3*3)-3+3 =3+9-3+3 Easily I can arrange this way; =3+9+3-3 =15-3 Final anrwer is =12 The trickish but simplest maths I've seen so far on this forum.SMH- some people are just too high and mighty to accept correction.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by LordReed(m): 4:22pm On Sep 05, 2015
WombRaiders:

Enter the same values from right to left and see for yourself that you have zero as the answer.

You can not have two values for a simple arithmetic problem this only applies when dealing with algebra equations !

The cardinal rule to guide you in simple arithmetic and which applies also in algebra is

A + B = B + A

So your calculator should give you 12 as the answer if solving from right to left but this is not the case!

The answer Is returned 0 when solving from right to left!

The real solution is 6!

Proudly 5%!

Unless you are more accurate than a calculator I don't see how you are maintaining 6 is the answer. See the screenshot of the output of a calculator.

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by LordReed(m): 4:29pm On Sep 05, 2015
WombRaiders:

Enter the same values from right to left and see for yourself that you have zero as the answer.

You can not have two values for a simple arithmetic problem this only applies when dealing with algebra equations !

The cardinal rule to guide you in simple arithmetic and which applies also in algebra is

A + B = B + A

So your calculator should give you 12 as the answer if solving from right to left but this is not the case!

The real solution is 6!

Proudly 5%!

Here is the expression in reverse

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by LordReed(m): 4:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
WombRaiders:

A + B = B + A

The real solution is 6!

Proudly 5%!

One thing you should note is if you put minus outside of a bracket you affect everything inside the bracket so

- 3 + 3 ≠ - (3 + 3)

- (3 + 3) = - 3 - 3 = - 6

While

- 3 + 3 = 0

1 Like

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by LordReed(m): 4:37pm On Sep 05, 2015
repogirl:

This simply shows that

- 3 + 3 ≠ - (3 + 3)

They are completely different mathematical expressions.

3 Likes

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by lampardizik(m): 4:40pm On Sep 05, 2015
Funny thing is,this just shows how many Nigerians are disorderly,as in,person wey set question no know how to arrange am abi?...or why una think say the question show like that

People just giving themselves unnecessary troubles

Mtewww
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by LordReed(m): 4:41pm On Sep 05, 2015
Sincere4u:

From your step3: 12 - 3 + 3
Not taking the minus sign as inherent part of 3,
Step Step4: 12 - 6 = 6.
I believe cancelling out 3 by 3 is equivalent to an error of first subtracting 3 from 12 and adding 3 to it.
I won't however say you are wrong cos i just can't be quite sure anymore. It's been over 2decades i left maths but while i was in it, i was one of the best maths students in Lagos state as a whole. I'll need to subtract at least 23yrs from my age to know who among us is right but if you are quite younger than me and good in the subject, i will want to believe you are right. infact you don't need to be good in maths to get it right as this is the simplest of maths. Na old age dey worry me wey i no fit be sure. cry

The minus sign is inherent to the value of the figure that follows it.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Spybradd: 4:41pm On Sep 05, 2015
Ramos16:
Very funny guys around here.

Meanwhile, this is how it is solved all numbers have signs in front of them that cannot be neglected, showing all the signs for the question it will look like this

(+3) (+3) x (+3) (-3) (+3) ........ eqn (1)

eqn(1) can also be written as

(+3) + [(+3) x (+3)] + (-3) + (+3) ...... eqn (2)

Now BODMAS

Brackets (allow the parentheses, only remove square brackets) i.e solve (+3) x(+3)

(+3) + (+9) + (-3) + (+3) ...... eqn (3) (if you disagree let me see your hands up)

There is no OFF, Division, Multiplication
so we move to the addition, we can add everything up apart from the one with the negative sign

= [+3++9++3+(-3)]
= [3+9+3-3]
= [15-3] = [12] = 12

No Long story

Please Note that the sign in front of a number belongs to that number exclusively and cannot be separated from it. If a number does not have a sign in front, it is implicitly positive.

Hence you can't do this
3+3 x 3 - 3+3 = 3+(3 x 3)-(3+3) {Wrong}

Rather it should be
3+3 x 3 - 3+3 = 3 + (3 x 3) + (-3 +3) {Correct}

cc.martineverest...
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Spybradd: 4:43pm On Sep 05, 2015
repogirl:

right
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
LordReed:

One thing you should note is if you put minus outside of a bracket you affect everything inside the bracket so

- 3 + 3 ≠ - (3 + 3)

- (3 + 3) = - 3 - 3 = - 6

While

- 3 + 3 = 0

Take this example:

7 - 3 and 3 - 7

Your answer will remain as 4 when made absolute!

The biggest mistakes you are making is to assume the prefixed sign as an attribute to the value 3 when it is just an operation!

To elaborate on this, -3 represents the value 3 on the number scale BUT in this simple arithmetic problem the minus sign is not an attribute of 3 but an operation that will be used on 3!

The second mistake is to assume that your workings must be from left to right!

For example if you have : 3+3*3-18/9 are you not expected to solve 18/9 first?

In doing BODMAS, the last operation required is subtraction.

So we get:

[3+(3*3)] - (3+3)................ i

It is that simple!.

If you run the above arithmetic on your calculator from the left or right you will end up with the same value 6 only expressed in either + or - but taking the absolute value you arrive at the same 6!

Now try equation i from right to left and left to right and see for yourself!
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Joe82834(m): 4:51pm On Sep 05, 2015
WombRaiders:

No -3+3 should be -(3+3)

Which will give you -6

This is where you guys goofed!

By assuming -3 as a value on the number scale you made a fundamental error where all values are considered absolute!

The positive and negative signs are operations !

This is not algebra

Bros, -3+3 s not the same as - (3+3) but it same as -(3-3) which also gives zero. Have u forgotten that when u include a minus sign and insert a bracket sign it automatically changes the sign of everything inside this bracket. That's why 3e-4a+6a is same as 3e-(4a-6a) and also equals -(-3e+4a-6a). Observe d role d minus outside d bracket plays.in all u will get. 3e+2a as ur answer.its actually basic maths. Tanx
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 05, 2015
LordReed:

This simply shows that

- 3 + 3 ≠ - (3 + 3)

They are completely different mathematical expressions.

You are not getting it right at all!

There is no value as -3 in that simple equation!

You are dealing with absolute values on the positive scale and the negative represents the operation to be carried out on the value of 3+3!

You only use such operations as presented above when handling equations with variable constants!

for example : x+x^2- x +x where x is a variable quantity. For all we know x may be -3 or 3. So that rule only applies in algebra equations and not arithmetics
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nobody: 4:58pm On Sep 05, 2015
Joe82834:

Bros, -3+3 s not the same as - (3+3) but it same as -(3-3) which also gives zero. Have u forgotten that when u include a minus sign and insert a bracket sign it automatically changes the sign of everything inside this bracket. That's why 3e-4a+6a is same as 3e-(4a-6a) and also equals -(-3e+4a-6a). Observe d role d minus outside d bracket plays.in all u will get. 3e+2a as ur answer.its actually basic maths. Tanx

I like the fact that you presented a linear equation which naturally will be considered equal to zero

When using this method you will naturally arrive at two values for e and a each. in the form (e1,a1) and (e2,a2) which represent points on the curve 3e-4a+6a = 0

That is why they are getting 12 and Zero depending on how they compute!.

If you compute from the left by assuming -3+3 is -3-3 then your answer will be 12. But when you do the same from right to left you get zero!

This is impossible for simple arithmetic and this is what bodmas was meant to avoid.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Nobody: 5:04pm On Sep 05, 2015
LordReed:

The minus sign is inherent to the value of the figure that follows it.

The minus sign is not an attribute of the number 3 but an operation to be carried out on the sum of 3+3!
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by Feelingfree: 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2015
repogirl:

It is BODMAS. u just don't know how to apply it. You applied the brackets wrongly, that changes the question significantly.
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by ginggerxy: 5:09pm On Sep 05, 2015
BishopMagic:

simple bodmas

[3+(3*3)]-(3+3)

= [3+9]-6

= 12-6

=6

Olodos below me will say 12

For sake of all you olodos mentioning me here is a simplified explanation for you retarrds that I made on page 8

pls you need a lesson teacher
Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by LordReed(m): 5:10pm On Sep 05, 2015
WombRaiders:

Take this example:

7 - 3 and 3 - 7

Your answer will remain as 4 when made absolute!

The biggest mistakes you are making is to assume the prefixed sign as an attribute to the value 3 when it is just an operation!

To elaborate on this, -3 represents the value 3 on the number scale BUT in this simple arithmetic problem the minus sign is not an attribute of 3 but an operation that will be used on 3!

The second mistake is to assume that your workings must be from left to right!

For example if you have : 3+3*3-18/9 are you not expected to solve 18/9 first?

In doing BODMAS, the last operation required is subtraction.

So we get:

[3+(3*3)] - (3+3)................ i

It is that simple!.

If you run the above arithmetic on your calculator from the left or right you will end up with the same value 6 only expressed in either + or - but taking the absolute value you arrive at the same 6!

Now try equation i from right to left and left to right and see for yourself!

You are very funnyfunny. In other to prove yourself you made 3 minus 7 to be equal to 7 minus 3. That alone should show you the fallacy of your position. I really wish you'd stop arguing.

Re: PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics by princetelaviv: 5:11pm On Sep 05, 2015
hence thrr is open bracket now. 3+3*3-3+3 3+ 9-6 3+ 3 =6

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

How Can I Locate Lagos Waec Office? / Overrated Courses In Nigerian Universities / Funny List Of Nigerian Universities & What They Are Known For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.