Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,472 members, 7,830,372 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:35 PM

Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH (26506 Views)

Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Expected Presence At FEC / What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy / Gift Of 2 Jeeps Included In Buhari's Assets Declaration Form (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Demdem(m): 4:54pm On Sep 05, 2015
President Goodluck Jonathan has condemned the mounting calls on public office holders to publicly declare their assets while in office, saying such clamour by Nigerians is not right, as officials should be allowed to determine whether making their assets public agree with their principles.
He made it clear his own principle disagree vehemently with allowing the people he governs know how much he is worth and what he really owns.
Fielding questions on Sunday during his third Presidential media chat at the Aso Villa Abuja, Mr. Jonathan said when the matter camme up during his time as Vice President to late President Musa Yar’adua he made it very clear that it was not a right decision to take.
Asked why he has refused to publicly declare his assets as an example for members of his cabinet, the President said, “The issue of public asset declaration is a matter of personal principle. That is the way I see it, and I don’t give a damn about it, even if you criticise me from heaven. When I was the Vice President , that matter came up, and I told the former President (late Musa Yar’adua) let’s not start something that would make us play into the hands of people and create an anomalous situation in the country.
“The law is clear. A public officer should declare his assets, and if there are issues, then the relevant agencies would have a basis to assess whether you have amassed wealth or not. When it is said that people should declare their assets in public, it is not only the President or the vice President, it includes everybody, incluidng Ministers.
“When I was a governor in Bayelsa state for about a year before becoming vice president, I was investigated thoroughly. I have nothing to hide. But, because I was under somebody and it was becoming an issue, because of the media, and because my boss had declared, it was said that the vice President must. I declared, not because I wanted to.”
Mr. Jonathan continued, “Initially I said they can talk about it from morning to night, I will not. I said it is a matter of principle. It is not proper. If one amends the law to say that only the President and the Vice should declare assets publicly, fine. But, presently everybody who is holding political office is expected to do, and I say it is not right. Those who made the law knew why they put the law that way. I could be investigated when I leave office.
“You don’t need to declare assets publicly, otherwise you are playing to the gallery.You don’t need to publicly declare assets. That’s a matter of principle. If I have to declare publicly, it means every polictical office holder will have to declare publicly. And it is not the right thing to do. That is my believe.
“It is not the President’s declaration of assets that would change the economy. There are challenges secuirty, power and revolutionising agriculture. These are areas we should be interested in . Whether Mr. Jonathan publicly declares his asstes or not is not the issue.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/5741-i_wont_declare_my_assets.html

Shame on Jonah-daft and his lovers who are currently attacking General Buhari's good deeds. The fool never believed in it. Infact it was Yaradua that forced him to as VP. He himself stated this not me grin.

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 4:58pm On Sep 05, 2015
OboloMAN:
Ex Head of State :

Ex- Military Governor.

Ex - GOC

Ex - General

Ex - Minister of Petroleum.

And just 30 million in his account

Mr integrity Indeed
Lol, Nigerians, una funny ooo... If he says he has 5billion now, u'll still be the same person shouting, "chai!!! Buhari has stolen all ur money"

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 5:05pm On Sep 05, 2015
Rad1cal:

Fools on parade. Yar Adua and Jonathan barely used 60 days to publish theirs in 2007.

Maybe we should wait till 2019 to have theirs published.

Zombies.
Hahahaha, you guys never cease to amaze resting Nigerians... After they declared it, do u know what the eventually left office with after their tenure? So, if you ask me, the asset declaration thing is just a waste of time and nonsense Nigerians use to deceive themselves....

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 05, 2015
he shifted the goal post so that he can accomodate unaccounted for money that he is going to get.
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by stamcy(m): 5:15pm On Sep 05, 2015
Goto this. Page fior free matches https://­m.facebook.com/­profile.php?id=497316­537101066&view_publi­c_for=49731653710106­6
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Jimwalex(m): 5:16pm On Sep 05, 2015
Rad1cal:

Fools on parade. Yar Adua and Jonathan barely used 60 days to publish theirs in 2007.

Zombies.
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Jimwalex(m): 5:17pm On Sep 05, 2015
Rad1cal:

Zombies.
and if i may ask bro,why calling me a fool? so u purposely quote me just to insult me!?
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Forwetinnah: 5:17pm On Sep 05, 2015
In other news..The animal who released Kabiru Sokoto has been reinstated into the Police force. I want to hear a round of applause for Jihadist Buhari from his supporters. How could anyone in their right mind release someone who bombed a church full of Worshippers, and another who gives the impression that he's not brain dead recall that same person back into NPF?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by gagewonda(m): 5:22pm On Sep 05, 2015
Jimwalex:
For crying out loud why all this brouhaha again when the statement clearly states that ''... the
verification of the President’s and the Vice
President’s assets was ongoing and that the
forms would be released to the public after
the CCB’s verification.''
dat talk of under going verification by d CCB has been on d lips of apc since inauguration abeg verification no dey finish? Hw come it took late yaradua a month nd its taking apc govt forever. Now if u knw u havnt finished verifying d verifiable's y den release something dat is a slap to d educated nigerians? D word 'several' vehicles shldnt come near an asset declaration, d word 'about' 30m shldnt even come up. It shld be specific. Der again listing properties witout values nd shares witout number owned nd total worth of d shares. Dis is just a typical example of ' make e no be like we no declare' what is worth doin is worth doing well. Nigerians r not fools. And lets mark it dis so called ongoing verification may neva end cos of d too many lies apc has told bfre. U knw liars usually forget der past lies so dey r just being economical so as nt to contradict demselves e.g mr presidents abuja house all of a sudden is now his bt bak den dey said he neva had a home in abuja dat a retired army man paid d rent of where he is staying after his landlord ejected him.... wow nigerians y do we forget so soon

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by darlenese(f): 5:26pm On Sep 05, 2015
APC = Lying Liars
Buhari = Scam

His supporters are all Zombeeeeeees
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by yoged(m): 5:31pm On Sep 05, 2015
I don't really like talking about politics. And I have never believe in any human ruling. But truth be told, since this man has entered. There has been fuel availability. And light has really been stable. I was planning buying another generator coz my present generator dey make noise. Only GOD knows the last time I put it on......... can we just leave this man and allow him to work..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by BlackrulesDworld(m): 5:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
From 150 cows to 270 cows in six month, that's "population explosion" in the animal kingdom

rightly said.
This man is just there to satisfy is personal selfish interest, which is already obvious through is Northocracy type of Leadership.
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Kiakia(m): 5:36pm On Sep 05, 2015
There is no provision in our statute books which compels the President and his Vice to declare their assets publicly. I cannot remember Obasanjo and Jonathan declaring their assests publicly when they held sway as Presidents of this country. No fuse was made about that. That both Buhari and Osinbajo decided to to tow the path of rectitude by declaring their assets to the public was of their own volition. How many Ministers and other top government officials declare their assets publicly? How many of them have made public what they own at the end of their tenure as required by law? Nigerians are so much in a hurry to criticise and condemn in their holier-than-thou attitude. The two gentlemen only made a partial disclosure of their assets through a media aide. They are to fully do this. The media aide even gave an inkling that full disclosure will be done in due course, yet Nigerians want to stampede the natural course of events. I wil urge restraint in this regard. Things will gradually unfold.

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by holychild87: 5:42pm On Sep 05, 2015
If buhari has 150 cattle and 70 are female and give birth to 2 each some 3 does that not sum up to over 270 nigerians and thier illogical observations, by the way shehu said the full lis will be released by the CCB soon haba can't shehu sumarize for the president?
HzRF:
Mixed reactions have continued to trail President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s public declaration of their assets.

A statement by the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr. Garba Shehu, had on Thursday disclosed part of the contents of the assets declaration forms separately submitted by Buhari and Osinbajo to the Code of Conduct Bureau.

Shehu said in the statement that the verification of the President’s and the Vice President’s assets was ongoing and that the forms would be released to the public after the CCB’s verification.

Based on the statement, Buhari’s assets include about N30m in his only bank account with the Union Bank Plc and a total of seven houses, comprising two mud and a standard house in Daura, his hometown; two homes in Kaduna, one in Kano and one in Abuja.

The President’s assets also include two undeveloped plots of land in Kano and Port Harcourt, an orchard and a ranch in Daura with 270 head of cattle, 25 sheep, five horses, a variety of birds and a number of economic trees.

According to the statement, Buhari also has several cars, two of which he said were bought with his savings, while the others were supplied to him by the Federal Government in his capacity as a former Head of State.

However, the declaration has been trailed by diverse reactions, with some Nigerians raising questions over the value of the President’s assets, which were considered as vague in the document.

For instance, analysts say they have been unable to draw comparisons between the President’s action and that of the late former President Umaru Yar’Adua, the first Nigerian President to publicly declare his assets.

Yar’Adua on June 28, 2007, a month after his inauguration, made public photocopies of his completed assets declaration form as submitted to the CCB.

The document detailed Yar’Adua’s assets, valued at N856, 452,892, with a total annual income that was put at N18.7m.

In the document, Yar’Adua declared the values of all his assets.

A breakdown of the assets declaration showed that Yar’Adua had a total of N43, 702, 892.43 as cash in his bank accounts, with other assets contributing for the rest.

Among his detailed declaration of assets, Yar’Adua listed his family compound in Katsina State, which he described as an inheritance. He valued it at N105m.

There were also a multi-storey building at A8 Wuse 2, Abuja and a duplex at Malali, Kaduna State, valued at N212m and N120m, respectively.

He also disclosed that he had a seven-bedroom duplex at 2, Lema Jubril Close, valued at N90m, which he said was built from savings in 1987 and a vacant plot at Asokoro New Layout in Abuja, valued at N50m.

Yar’Adua also said that he had 2,000,000 units of shares of Habib Bank acquired in 1998; 100,000 units of shares of Intercity Bank Plc; and another 100,000 units of shares of Muradi Hotels Limited.

He also disclosed that he had vehicles worth N181,250,000, consisting of 29 new cars worth N174,700,000 in both Katsina and Abuja, which he described as campaign vehicles, a Honda Accord car worth N350,000 and a Mercedes Benz worth another N6,500,000.

In addition, Yar’Adua disclosed that his wife, Turai, had a total asset of N19m, made up of houses. He stated the value of each of the houses.

Considering Yar’Adua’s declaration of assets, analysts have described Buhari’s recent version as a clear departure from a full declaration of assets.

They labelled the declaration of assets as done by Buhari as having too many holes, saying Buhari should have specified the total number of his cars rather than stating that he has several cars, two of which he said were bought from his savings.

Shehu’s statement had claimed that the President had shares in Berger Paints, Skye Bank and Union Bank .

But analysts said Buhari should have stated the value of each of his houses, describing his declaration of having ‘two homes’ as deceptive since many houses can constitute a home.

While Yar’Adua declared the number of shares he had in companies, Buhari’s declaration also failed to disclose that.

Meanwhile, in December 2014, Buhari in a Facebook post insinuated that he had about N1m in his account, about 150 of cattle and houses in Kaduna, Kano and Daura. But there was no mention of any property in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.

He had said, “I have at least one million naira in my bank, having paid N5.5m to pick my form from my party.

“I have around 150 (head of) cattle because I am never comfortable without cows.

“I have a house each in Kaduna, Kano, and Daura, which I borrowed money to build.

“I never had a foreign account since I finished my courses in the USA, India and the UK.

“I never owned any property outside Nigeria. Never!”

Some analysts said Buhari did not explain how his 150 head of cattle and about N1m in December 2014 multiplied to 270 head of cattle and N30m less than a year later, respectively, especially as Buhari had said that he had to borrow the N27m he needed to purchase his presidential form from his party, the All Progressives Congress.

Reacting to the declaration of assets by Buhari and Osinbajo, a lawyer, Carol Ajie, said the documents had loopholes.

Ajie said Buhari and his deputy needed to “make clear if they have liabilities or not, bearing in mind that the constitution places emphasis on assets and liabilities.”

The lawyer said, “We need a bit more on specificity on some of the items such as shares in Berger Paints, Union Bank and Skye Bank, considering the length of time between April when he won the election and now, a period of six months for assets valuation of his seven houses located in Daura, Kano, Kaduna and Abuja.

“We have no addresses on these houses and what type of houses-bungalow, block of flats or duplexes- and estate valuer’s estimates. Same for his farms, orchard and a ranch in Daura, etc.”

Another legal practitioner, Mr. Kayode Ajulo, said the President had yet to complete the declaration “as it is the law that his spouse is not a civil servant; the spouse must declare her assets in the same manner as done by President Buhari.

“The same goes for his deputy. As it is, there may be likelihood of violation of the law on declaration of assets,” he added.

A civil rights lawyer, Ebun Adegboruwa, who described Buhari’s assets declaration as belated, also faulted the President for failing to disclose the worth of the property and stocks he listed as belonging to him.

He said, “He should have let us know the worth of those assets, especially the ones in Abuja. So without knowing the worth, we cannot estimate what the President has. The information supplied to the public by the President is so scanty, as to totally amount to hoarding vital details of his assets.

“For the assets declaration to make any meaningful impact, it should have been declared voluntarily and without any prompting upon the President by Nigerians. The implication of this is that the President was forced to declare his assets.

“Secondly, the assets declaration is coming after Nigerians, through their most diligent efforts, have already uncovered most of the President’s ‘secret assets’, especially the house in Abuja. By now, most of the contents of the President’s assets declaration document are already in the public domain.”

The lawyer also called on the President to make the assets of his adult children known to the public.

He said, “The Code of Conduct Bureau and the constitution require that it is not just the assets of the President that should be declared, the assets of all his grown-up children should also be disclosed.

“Is he hiding his assets through his children because there are many of them that are grown up? In Nigeria, you suddenly discover that children who are 18 years of age have houses in London, United Kingdom or Maitama and Asokoro in Abuja.”

Another lawyer, Jiti Ogunye, who commended the President for his public declaration of assets, also joined his voice with those callingfor a more detailed declaration.

He said, “I commend the President and the Vice President for what they have done.

“Moving forward, our expectation is that now that we have a summation of this asset declaration, number of houses is disclosed, the account is disclosed and the credit in the account is disclosed.

“We hope that when the verification is concluded and that will not be too long, further details and particulars would be furnished to the Nigerian people.

“Those who are calling for fuller disclosure are not calling for something extraordinary or that ought not to be done, so I join those who are calling for fuller disclosure even as I commend this summary of disclosure.”

However, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Emeka Ngige, dismissed claims by some of the analysts, saying that the task of valuating the listed property should be left to the CCB.

He said, “I think the actions of the President and the Vice-President have sent positive signals on governance. The policy should now be extended to all political office holders appointed by the administration.”

Another civil rights lawyer, Liborous Oshoma, described the criticisms trailing the asset declaration in some quarters as “sentimental.”

He said, “For me, the essence of this is to open a new struggle for us, a new fight, a new demand of accountability. It is not necessarily about the worth of what was declared, but the fact that the assets were declared.

“The man has said he owns so and so, anybody who wants to question that can begin to conduct investigations into what he said he owns. It is not much about the worth of the houses and it has not been established that the houses were acquired with stolen funds because that is when we can begin to calculate the worth.”

Meanwhile, the Code of Conduct Bureau on Friday said it had begun the verification of the assets declared by President and his deputy.

The CCB, through its Head of Press and Protocol Unit, Mrs. Iyabo Akinwale, confirmed to our correspondent that the verification of their assets had commenced.

http://www.punchng.com/news/mixed-reactions-trail-buharis-assets-declaration/

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by kinibigdeal(m): 5:42pm On Sep 05, 2015
HzRF:
Mixed reactions have continued to trail President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s public declaration of their assets.

A statement by the President’s Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mr. Garba Shehu, had on Thursday disclosed part of the contents of the assets declaration forms separately submitted by Buhari and Osinbajo to the Code of Conduct Bureau.

Shehu said in the statement that the verification of the President’s and the Vice President’s assets was ongoing and that the forms would be released to the public after the CCB’s verification.

Based on the statement, Buhari’s assets include about N30m in his only bank account with the Union Bank Plc and a total of seven houses, comprising two mud and a standard house in Daura, his hometown; two homes in Kaduna, one in Kano and one in Abuja.

The President’s assets also include two undeveloped plots of land in Kano and Port Harcourt, an orchard and a ranch in Daura with 270 head of cattle, 25 sheep, five horses, a variety of birds and a number of economic trees.

According to the statement, Buhari also has several cars, two of which he said were bought with his savings, while the others were supplied to him by the Federal Government in his capacity as a former Head of State.

However, the declaration has been trailed by diverse reactions, with some Nigerians raising questions over the value of the President’s assets, which were considered as vague in the document.

For instance, analysts say they have been unable to draw comparisons between the President’s action and that of the late former President Umaru Yar’Adua, the first Nigerian President to publicly declare his assets.

Yar’Adua on June 28, 2007, a month after his inauguration, made public photocopies of his completed assets declaration form as submitted to the CCB.

The document detailed Yar’Adua’s assets, valued at N856, 452,892, with a total annual income that was put at N18.7m.

In the document, Yar’Adua declared the values of all his assets.

A breakdown of the assets declaration showed that Yar’Adua had a total of N43, 702, 892.43 as cash in his bank accounts, with other assets contributing for the rest.

Among his detailed declaration of assets, Yar’Adua listed his family compound in Katsina State, which he described as an inheritance. He valued it at N105m.

There were also a multi-storey building at A8 Wuse 2, Abuja and a duplex at Malali, Kaduna State, valued at N212m and N120m, respectively.

He also disclosed that he had a seven-bedroom duplex at 2, Lema Jubril Close, valued at N90m, which he said was built from savings in 1987 and a vacant plot at Asokoro New Layout in Abuja, valued at N50m.

Yar’Adua also said that he had 2,000,000 units of shares of Habib Bank acquired in 1998; 100,000 units of shares of Intercity Bank Plc; and another 100,000 units of shares of Muradi Hotels Limited.

He also disclosed that he had vehicles worth N181,250,000, consisting of 29 new cars worth N174,700,000 in both Katsina and Abuja, which he described as campaign vehicles, a Honda Accord car worth N350,000 and a Mercedes Benz worth another N6,500,000.

In addition, Yar’Adua disclosed that his wife, Turai, had a total asset of N19m, made up of houses. He stated the value of each of the houses.

Considering Yar’Adua’s declaration of assets, analysts have described Buhari’s recent version as a clear departure from a full declaration of assets.

They labelled the declaration of assets as done by Buhari as having too many holes, saying Buhari should have specified the total number of his cars rather than stating that he has several cars, two of which he said were bought from his savings.

Shehu’s statement had claimed that the President had shares in Berger Paints, Skye Bank and Union Bank .

But analysts said Buhari should have stated the value of each of his houses, describing his declaration of having ‘two homes’ as deceptive since many houses can constitute a home.

While Yar’Adua declared the number of shares he had in companies, Buhari’s declaration also failed to disclose that.

Meanwhile, in December 2014, Buhari in a Facebook post insinuated that he had about N1m in his account, about 150 of cattle and houses in Kaduna, Kano and Daura. But there was no mention of any property in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.

He had said, “I have at least one million naira in my bank, having paid N5.5m to pick my form from my party.

“I have around 150 (head of) cattle because I am never comfortable without cows.

“I have a house each in Kaduna, Kano, and Daura, which I borrowed money to build.

“I never had a foreign account since I finished my courses in the USA, India and the UK.

“I never owned any property outside Nigeria. Never!”

Some analysts said Buhari did not explain how his 150 head of cattle and about N1m in December 2014 multiplied to 270 head of cattle and N30m less than a year later, respectively, especially as Buhari had said that he had to borrow the N27m he needed to purchase his presidential form from his party, the All Progressives Congress.

Reacting to the declaration of assets by Buhari and Osinbajo, a lawyer, Carol Ajie, said the documents had loopholes.

Ajie said Buhari and his deputy needed to “make clear if they have liabilities or not, bearing in mind that the constitution places emphasis on assets and liabilities.”

The lawyer said, “We need a bit more on specificity on some of the items such as shares in Berger Paints, Union Bank and Skye Bank, considering the length of time between April when he won the election and now, a period of six months for assets valuation of his seven houses located in Daura, Kano, Kaduna and Abuja.

“We have no addresses on these houses and what type of houses-bungalow, block of flats or duplexes- and estate valuer’s estimates. Same for his farms, orchard and a ranch in Daura, etc.”

Another legal practitioner, Mr. Kayode Ajulo, said the President had yet to complete the declaration “as it is the law that his spouse is not a civil servant; the spouse must declare her assets in the same manner as done by President Buhari.

“The same goes for his deputy. As it is, there may be likelihood of violation of the law on declaration of assets,” he added.

A civil rights lawyer, Ebun Adegboruwa, who described Buhari’s assets declaration as belated, also faulted the President for failing to disclose the worth of the property and stocks he listed as belonging to him.

He said, “He should have let us know the worth of those assets, especially the ones in Abuja. So without knowing the worth, we cannot estimate what the President has. The information supplied to the public by the President is so scanty, as to totally amount to hoarding vital details of his assets.

“For the assets declaration to make any meaningful impact, it should have been declared voluntarily and without any prompting upon the President by Nigerians. The implication of this is that the President was forced to declare his assets.

“Secondly, the assets declaration is coming after Nigerians, through their most diligent efforts, have already uncovered most of the President’s ‘secret assets’, especially the house in Abuja. By now, most of the contents of the President’s assets declaration document are already in the public domain.”

The lawyer also called on the President to make the assets of his adult children known to the public.

He said, “The Code of Conduct Bureau and the constitution require that it is not just the assets of the President that should be declared, the assets of all his grown-up children should also be disclosed.

“Is he hiding his assets through his children because there are many of them that are grown up? In Nigeria, you suddenly discover that children who are 18 years of age have houses in London, United Kingdom or Maitama and Asokoro in Abuja.”

Another lawyer, Jiti Ogunye, who commended the President for his public declaration of assets, also joined his voice with those callingfor a more detailed declaration.

He said, “I commend the President and the Vice President for what they have done.

“Moving forward, our expectation is that now that we have a summation of this asset declaration, number of houses is disclosed, the account is disclosed and the credit in the account is disclosed.

“We hope that when the verification is concluded and that will not be too long, further details and particulars would be furnished to the Nigerian people.

“Those who are calling for fuller disclosure are not calling for something extraordinary or that ought not to be done, so I join those who are calling for fuller disclosure even as I commend this summary of disclosure.”

However, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Emeka Ngige, dismissed claims by some of the analysts, saying that the task of valuating the listed property should be left to the CCB.

He said, “I think the actions of the President and the Vice-President have sent positive signals on governance. The policy should now be extended to all political office holders appointed by the administration.”

Another civil rights lawyer, Liborous Oshoma, described the criticisms trailing the asset declaration in some quarters as “sentimental.”

He said, “For me, the essence of this is to open a new struggle for us, a new fight, a new demand of accountability. It is not necessarily about the worth of what was declared, but the fact that the assets were declared.

“The man has said he owns so and so, anybody who wants to question that can begin to conduct investigations into what he said he owns. It is not much about the worth of the houses and it has not been established that the houses were acquired with stolen funds because that is when we can begin to calculate the worth.”

Meanwhile, the Code of Conduct Bureau on Friday said it had begun the verification of the assets declared by President and his deputy.

The CCB, through its Head of Press and Protocol Unit, Mrs. Iyabo Akinwale, confirmed to our correspondent that the verification of their assets had commenced.

http://www.punchng.com/news/mixed-reactions-trail-buharis-assets-declaration/

Even Tinubu have only one volkswagen inherited from his ancestors and 3million Naira in is GTB account, one plot of land with 5goats in it. No foreign accounts except monthly contribution from Aregbe

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by asamaigho(m): 5:42pm On Sep 05, 2015
erunz:
Buhari, Apc have scammed their brainwashed gullible followers, who do think before they act

how na?...
stop hating jawe,what did u do wen gej and sambo refused to declare assets.
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by adconline(m): 5:44pm On Sep 05, 2015
Demdem:

Stop being silly. The detailed declaration answering all and even more of these questions is with CCB who has been mandated to release to public after verification. What the special assistant gave at the press conference was a summary of what they submitted to CCB in line with Buhari's promise to do so. Av you ever heard of "EXECUTIVE SUMMARY " in respect to a report? That is what shehu gave. Go to CCB and demand that they hasten up and u will have ur detailed report.
The same SA that said GMB never made any promise to declare his asset during his campaign? He did this to assuage his disenchanted followers.. They have lost a lot of political and integrity capital
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by gagewonda(m): 5:51pm On Sep 05, 2015
Kiakia:
There is no provision in our statute books
which compels the President and his Vice to declare their assets publicly. I cannot remember Obasanjo and Jonathan declaring their assests publicly when they held sway as Presidents of this country. No fuse was made about that. That both Buhari and Osinbajo decided to to tow the path of rectitude by declaring their assets to the public was of their own volition. How many Ministers and other top government officials declare their assets publicly? How many of them have made public what they own at the end of their tenure [b]as required by [/b]law? Nigerians are so much in a hurry to criticise and condemn in their holier-than-thou attitude. The two gentlemen only made a partial disclosure of their assets through a media aide. They are to fully do this. The media aide even gave an inkling that full disclosure will be done in due course, yet Nigerians want to stampede the natural course of events. I wil urge restraint in this regard. Things will gradually unfold.
the bolded is contradictory
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by chichriso: 5:51pm On Sep 05, 2015
ok

CHIchriso said::: CLICK my SIGNATURES
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Nobody: 5:55pm On Sep 05, 2015
This is not declaration of asset but denial of assets.
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by dafuturis(m): 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2015
Jimwalex:
For crying out loud why all this brouhaha again when the statement clearly states that ''... the
verification of the President’s and the Vice
President’s assets was ongoing and that the
forms would be released to the public after
the CCB’s verification.''

you seem to be the only one with working brains on first page.

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Demdem(m): 5:59pm On Sep 05, 2015
adconline:

The same SA that said GMB never made any promise to declare his asset during his campaign? He did this to assuage his disenchanted followers.. They have lost a lot of political and integrity capital

The laws of the land requires him to declare his asset. Whether he said it or not is inconsequential. The issue at stake here is releasing it for public consumption. With this singular act, they have instead gained more political and integrity capital. A feat his predecessor never accomplished.
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Jimwalex(m): 6:00pm On Sep 05, 2015
dafuturis:

you seem to be the only one with working brains on front page.
lolz..
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by adconline(m): 6:08pm On Sep 05, 2015
Demdem:

The laws of the land requires him to declare his asset. Whether he said it or not is inconsequential. The issue at stake here is releasing it for public consumption. With this singular act, they have instead gained more political and integrity capital. A feat his predecessor never accomplished.
Until certified true copies and asset values are declared, this is just an appeasement crumb thrown at his disgruntled wailling supporters to keep them quiet!
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 05, 2015
The Wailers are so dumb that they forgot that the essence of Assets and Liability declaration is to know ur worth before and after holding a public office since you are not allowed to do any other job.

Does it mean that Buhari's wife and children should become jobless because their papa na presido.
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by oviejnr(m): 6:09pm On Sep 05, 2015
We are humans and we can never be contended, most of the people wailing here didn't even cast their Votes for PMB, what are your interest in someone you never believed in GEJ, lost to him already, so let Mr President do his job, you can vote him out in 2019.

1 Like

Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Demdem(m): 6:14pm On Sep 05, 2015
adconline:

Until certified true copies and asset values are declared, this is just an appeasement crumb thrown at his disgruntled wailling supporters to keep them quiet!

And that copy can only be secured from CCB as soon as verification is over and not even from Buhari himself. What buhari presented so far is the "Executive Summary" of what he submitted.
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by wiseoneking: 6:15pm On Sep 05, 2015
worthytalk:
How do assets put food on ones table? Silly baboons and monkeys.
Dont ever sound like one, not sure of baboons and mokey. Which one are...? U
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by oskaaay(m): 6:19pm On Sep 05, 2015
This issue is becoming hot and hotter on every platform it was been discussed. I bet you have seen nothing until you read a scan through of Buhari first 100days in office article here on Nairaland.

Buhari 100 Days In Office, Scanning Through The Best, Better, Good And The Ugly
https://www.nairaland.com/2578438/buhari-100-days-office-scanning
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by Theman13: 6:19pm On Sep 05, 2015
Somebody here is asking me if I know the owner of the property at 9 Udo Udoma (Abj) and its worth. Since I don't, kindly assist or help tell CCB.
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by tomakint: 6:28pm On Sep 05, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
From 150 cows to 270 cows in six month, that's "population explosion" in the animal kingdom
You re right about the 'population explosion' tag, but what is worrisome is when Cows are now procreating like Rats (Rattus rattus) at least considering the time space of 5months (Dec 2014 that he declared 150 cows and May 2015 when he said 270 cows) he made those claims then you will agree with me what Buhari is, a big SCAM!
Re: Mixed Reactions Trail Buhari’s Assets Declaration-PUNCH by tomakint: 6:35pm On Sep 05, 2015
Demdem:

Shame on Jonah-daft and his lovers who are currently attacking General Buhari's good deeds. The fool never believed in it. Infact it was Yaradua that forced him to as VP. He himself stated this not me grin.
....and is that supposed to be funny undecided close that your teeth and listen. Jonathan gave a convincing reason why he is not convinced to declare his asset as a matter of personal principle but since the Law wants it, he obeyed and declared.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari Attends Jumaat Service At Aso Rock Mosque With Saraki, Hameed Ali, Others / #EndSARS: DJ Switch To Speak At International Criminal Court Today / Tinubu Bars FG Officials With No Direct UNGA Participation From Travelling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.