Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,231 members, 7,815,300 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job (45351 Views)

Graduate Assistant Job: My Waka Waka / Graduate Assistant Vacancies In A Leading Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by dexonMart(m): 4:14pm On Sep 05, 2015
nice contributions
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Rich4god(m): 4:21pm On Sep 05, 2015
mustiusman:

Omo forget qualification. I graduated with a 2.1 degree since 2011, I don apply for universities tire, I still dey house till now they hustle, so na leg man
Since 2011.... No vex, abeg wch course u read... Is it science related.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by bagger293: 4:32pm On Sep 05, 2015
I have the same ambition with the op, I will soon be graduating with a 2.1 but the problem is that I'm not close to the lecturers of our department talk less of the HOD, he doesn't even know me and I'm approaching my final year..my questions are...is it too late for me to start getting close to the HOD and what is the salary range specifically for Graduate Assistants? Please nairalanders help a brother...
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Bruno3000(m): 4:35pm On Sep 05, 2015
fratermathy:
To become a GA, you must have made atleast a good 2.1 in school and probably be the best graduating student in your department. It will help to be savvy with the current needs of the department whether a GA is needed or not. It'll also be better to apply through a seasoned and well respected Professor in your department and school. The Professor will give you a recommendation which the HOD will minute on to the Dean. The Dean will minute on your application and you'll forward it to the Registrar as well as the Chairman of the school's governing council. Get as many Professorial recommendations as you possibly can and attach to your letter. Make sure you are already enrolled in a Masters programme and that it is stated in your application. Infact, possibly attach your masters admission letter to it. After doing the neccessary, PRAY HARD! Make connections with other professors and tell them of your desire and If the Cosmic wishes it, IT IS DONE!
Very helpful bro. Pls, must the professorial recommendation be in written form?
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 05, 2015
bagger293:
I have the same ambition with the op, I will soon be graduating with a 2.1 but the problem is that I'm not close to the lecturers of our department talk less of the HOD, he doesn't even know me and I'm approaching my final year..my questions are...is it too late for me to start getting close to the HOD and what is the salary range specifically for Graduate Assistants? Please nairalanders help a brother...

It's not too late bro. Start getting close to your lecturers too. Answer questions in class and walk up to them for advice on any issue bothering you.

As for the salary part, never go to the academics for the money. You must have the passion, if not, you will end up frustrated

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by vinceman212: 4:38pm On Sep 05, 2015
I graduated with CGPA(3.33).Am also thinking of applying for GA after my Msc.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by bagger293: 4:43pm On Sep 05, 2015
I'm not after the money...I just dont want to be idle after graduation and I have a passion for lecturing mehn...so much time to yourself...
sureguy02:

It's not too late bro. Start getting close to your lecturers too. Answer questions in class and walk up to them for advice on any issue bothering you.

As for the salary part, never go to the academics for the money. You must have the passion, if not, you will end up frustrated
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by princetelaviv: 4:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
o boy ee b lik sey madness don dey worry u. ..u see som guys dey houae for d past 15yrs now dey find job u dey witout no trial first oo com dey advertise urself for here sey u nid grduate assiastance job. .na graduate cement loading we go put u
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by bagger293: 4:47pm On Sep 05, 2015
bagger293:
I'm not after the money...I just dont want to be idle after graduation and I have a passion for lecturing....
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by CCsurplus007(m): 5:04pm On Sep 05, 2015
I think I can advise you since I am in a similar position. In most universities, you can not get a GA position except if you graduated with a first class. It is automatic for most universities. If you graduated with a 2.1 the best you can do is to apply for your masters program and then apply for a teaching assistant (TA) position. Although the pay for teaching assistant is very meagre infact it wont be enough for your upkeep. The good thing about TA is you have a high possibility of being retained as an assistant lecturer (AL) since you would be conversant with the system and the profs in your department. So if lecturing is your thing and you care less about money for now I would advise you to obtain your masters form immediately. . With your teaching assistant position on your CV you can apply for another masters abroad or a PhD position. With your experience you should get funding much easier. All the best. Holla if you need any further info

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by fratermathy(m): 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2015
Bruno3000:
Very helpful bro. Pls, must the professorial recommendation be in written form?

A letter headed paper should be used for such recommendations except when unavailable and then an alternative method may be used. If the Professor has a personal correspondence with the Vice Chancellor, just beg him or her to verbally recommend you to the VC but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a written one too. If you can amass 5 recommendations including that of the HOD, your LGA chairman and/or your town's monarch together with Professorial written or verbal recommendations, your chances go above 50% automatically.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Bruno3000(m): 5:22pm On Sep 05, 2015
fratermathy:

A letter headed paper should be used for such recommendations except when unavailable and then an alternative method may be used. If the Professor has a personal correspondence with the Vice Chancellor, just beg him or her to verbally recommend you to the VC but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a written one too. If you can amass 5 recommendations including that of the HOD, your LGA chairman and/or your town's monarch together with Professorial written or verbal recommendations, your chances go above 50% automatically.
Tanx mahn...
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by aderonkedeborah(f): 5:25pm On Sep 05, 2015
k

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by STENON(f): 5:43pm On Sep 05, 2015
bagger293:
You dnt need to move closer to your Lecturers/HOD before they know you. One thing I'l say is that try ALL your possible best to always gt the HIGHEST score in all your Tests and Exams,Dnt do copy and paste assignmnt frm ur course mate, Sit at the front in Lecture room/exam hall, dnt make noise, be serious during the lectures, Try to answer some bt not all the questions in the lecture room ( in order not to be ITK) . And with God, your Results will say more abt You among the Lecturers.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 6:26pm On Sep 05, 2015
scarplanet:
1. If you graduated with a first class honours, then the GA appointment is automatic in virtually all institutions

2. If you have a second class upper, apply to the registrar of your desired institution through the HOD of your desired department just like sureguy said. It could be a lot easier if you are applying to your alma-matar.
I suggest you bag one or two certifications in your desired field, it should be an advantage. Also it's advisable to join one or two professional bodies relevant to your field; there are some free professional bodies btw.

3. I don't think a degree below second class upper is usually considered for appointment for Graduate Assistant. Unless ofcourse on certain special occasions.

4. For your Msc, you dont need to do it in the university you are employed into, though it will be favourable for u if u do it there. Upon appointment into a university, you can get a study fellowship (scholarship) or TETFUND to study anywhere in the world.

5. Finally, you should know the pay as a Graduate Assistant is meagre. It's about 2/3 of what an entry level permanent staff in a good bank gets, less than 1/4 of what a fresh entry level NLNG staff gets, and maybe a little bit lesser than what other fresh graduates gets in other federal parastatal. In a nutshell, what I am insinuating is that if u want a GA job for the passion you have for it, then great. If you want it because you think federal government jobs pay well, then you will be so disappointed.

Goodluck bro

Regarding your 3rd point, even a 2.2 is usually considered for a GA appointment depending on the applicant's rapport with his head of department and the institution's needs. In the Universities, HODs hold the key.

I agree that the payment isn't mind blowing, in fact, to start enjoying academics, one must attain the status of a senior lecturer.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Sbrainy(m): 6:27pm On Sep 05, 2015
Thank U for ur contributions. It added to be. Thank U all.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Sbrainy(m): 6:27pm On Sep 05, 2015
Thank U for ur contributions. It added to me. Thank U all.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 6:31pm On Sep 05, 2015
STENON:
You dnt need to move closer to your Lecturers/HOD before they know you. One thing I'l say is that try ALL your possible best to always gt the HIGHEST score in all your Tests and Exams,Dnt do copy and paste assignmnt frm ur course mate, Sit at the front in Lecture room/exam hall, dnt make noise, be serious during the lectures, Try to answer some bt not all the questions in the lecture room ( in order not to be ITK) . And with God, your Results will say more abt You among the Lecturers.

He has to. Even if he were to graduate with a First Class, his HOD has to agree to work with him. They're that powerful
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by STENON(f): 6:37pm On Sep 05, 2015
effyzie01:

He has to. Even if he were to graduate with a First Class, his HOD has to agree to work with him. They're that powerful
bagger293:
Yes, I know. Bt he has some roles to play on his own Part and pertaining to his academics.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by obioraval(m): 6:39pm On Sep 05, 2015
CCsurplus007:
I think I can advise you since I am in a similar position. In most universities, you can not get a GA position except if you graduated with a first class. It is automatic for most universities. If you graduated with a 2.1 the best you can do is to apply for your masters program and then apply for a teaching assistant (TA) position. Although the pay for teaching assistant is very meagre infact it wont be enough for your upkeep. The good thing about TA is you have a high possibility of being retained as an assistant lecturer (AL) since you would be conversant with the system and the profs in your department. So if lecturing is your thing and you care less about money for now I would advise you to obtain your masters form immediately. . With your teaching assistant position on your CV you can apply for another masters abroad or a PhD position. With your experience you should get funding much easier. All the best. Holla if you need any further info

Teaching assistant. Does it work in Nigeria?
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 6:44pm On Sep 05, 2015
STENON:
Yes, I know. Bt he has some roles to play on his own Part and pertaining to his academics.

Having such ambition means he's put enough.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 6:53pm On Sep 05, 2015
masterchi:
Hw much does a GA per month?

Entry level is CONUASS 1 step 1 which is about N105k - N115k per month depending on the institution
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ggirl4real: 6:56pm On Sep 05, 2015
I have similar passion for lecturing. Will be passing out this October.

I graduated with a CGPA of 4.49 - Best in my Faculty.

I'm familiar with most of my lecturers.

My undergraduate project work has been published.

I've applied for Masters Programme.

I've even gone for Professional Certification.

God you know all I've put into this pursuit. Let all my efforts not be in vain.

God please help me. I really need this job after service.

I can't wait to be a lecturer. It's the best thing that will happen to me.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 7:00pm On Sep 05, 2015
ggirl4real:

May God help you.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ggirl4real: 7:13pm On Sep 05, 2015
effyzie01:

May God help you.
Amen! Amen!! Amen!!! Fire... grin Thanks
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by yungprof09: 7:14pm On Sep 05, 2015
ggirl4real:

is dere a we could perhaps talki cannot see myself becomin anyother thing,other than a lecturer,funny enough my parents n siblings have started calling me 'prof' already..God willing i am graduating wit a 2.1 soon enough..ndvi perhaps wud appreciate some guide..from som1 else too.tks
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 7:17pm On Sep 05, 2015
ggirl4real:

Amen! Amen!! Amen!!! Fire... grin
Thanks

I'm a lecturer already. It is what I ever wanted. I ignored an offer from NNPC to stay in the academics.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 7:19pm On Sep 05, 2015
yungprof09:
is dere a we could perhaps talki cannot see myself becomin anyother thing,other than a lecturer,funny enough my parents n siblings have started calling me 'prof' already..God willing i am graduating wit a 2.1 soon enough..ndvi perhaps wud appreciate some guide..from som1 else too.tks

Which school are you graduating from? What is the staff strength in your department? Which course?
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Jelo4kul(m): 7:25pm On Sep 05, 2015
ggirl4real:
What the! How come 4.49, why didn't they complete the first-class jinx. Would like us to talk more on your case
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ggirl4real: 7:29pm On Sep 05, 2015
yungprof09:

No problem Sir, I'm available
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ggirl4real: 7:33pm On Sep 05, 2015
effyzie01:

I'm a lecturer already. It is what I ever wanted. I ignored an offer from NNPC to stay in the academics.

I'm jealous already. I've always admired my lecturers and wish to join them soon. Besides, I have other good plans for youths. Lecturing will give me that avenue to express myself. I must affect my generation in the little way I can, even "me" cannot stop me. So help me God.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by yungprof09: 7:35pm On Sep 05, 2015
effyzie01:

Which school are you graduating from? What is the staff strength in your department? Which course?
tks 4 d mention..I'm graduating frm Ambrose Ali University,frm d department of education management.the staff strenght is pretty strong..most times 3 lecturers share 1 course..wot ar my chances??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Single Female Doctor: 'A Driver Refused To Work For Me' / Thread For Recent Not-So-Advertised Jobs In Nigeria (Lagos Mainly) / Photos Of Two Security Men Sleeping On Duty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.