Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,901 members, 7,817,667 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job (45379 Views)

Graduate Assistant Job: My Waka Waka / Graduate Assistant Vacancies In A Leading Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ayokunlei(m): 5:58pm On Sep 06, 2015
effyzie01:

May God help you.
Amen
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ayokunlei(m): 6:14pm On Sep 06, 2015
butanep:
Nice comments from you guyz.

Getting a GA job is not really easy even if you graduated with a first class. It takes God's grace and lots of connections to succeed in the race.

I graduated from a first generation federal university with a second class upper( 4.2) and a sound knowledge in my field. I have discussed with some lecturers in my department about getting a GA job.

I was told to apply for a master's program in same university then push my application with the help of my HOD and other key professors in the school. It has not been easy because of the protocol in the federal system.

My advised to those aspiring for GA jobs is to get other jobs doing during your masters programs before the GA job surface because it can take a long time to complete the process if actually you stand a better chance of getting it.

Most importantly, if you have passion in lecturing and ambition of becoming a lecturer one day, never stop studying, attending seminars & workshops related to your field, get professional certifications, acquaint yourself with the modern software related to your field.

Just keep learning and getting the knowledge. One day it will stand you out.

May God help us...

AMEN!

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 6:16pm On Sep 06, 2015
STENON:
Amen, Thanks, I'l do jst as you have said.

Pls can a fresh graduate also apply for GA while waiting for NYSC mobilization ?

Yes they can. But he/she can't assume duty until he/she's done with NYSC
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by STENON(f): 6:25pm On Sep 06, 2015
ayokunlei:

am doing well.
I have come across your posts before on Nairaland, expecially in the Masters / Ph.d thread on Nairaland
Owkay, Thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Sam0805849612: 6:29pm On Sep 06, 2015
Nic Thread.

I wish we can have a group to refer to as ours on ds academic career.

I am an Accounting Graduate, GCPA of Over 4.00, holdint two professional certificates, presently pursueing my ICAN, am about starting my M.Sc too.

I will be happy to have a lecturer to put me tru on some issue as regards ds academic career.

Also, if the a diff or discrimination in obtain ones M.Sc from a state university rather than a federal university?

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by STENON(f): 7:00pm On Sep 06, 2015
effyzie01:

Yes they can. But he/she can't assume duty until he/she's done with NYSC
Thanks. I really appreciate your input.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 7:03pm On Sep 06, 2015
STENON:
Thanks. I really appreciate your input.

You're welcome. I'm happy to be of help.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 7:10pm On Sep 06, 2015
Sam0805849612:
Nic Thread.

I wish we can have a group to refer to as ours on ds academic career.

I am an Accounting Graduate, GCPA of Over 4.00, holdint two professional certificates, presently pursueing my ICAN, am about starting my M.Sc too.

I will be happy to have a lecturer to put me tru on some issue as regards ds academic career.

Also, if the a diff or discrimination in obtain ones M.Sc from a state university rather than a federal university?

Thanks.

What exactly do you need to know? Ask specific questions and I'll try to answer them

There's no discrimination in studying in a state/federal university. Some schools may discriminate but its the exception rather than a rule.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by ggirl4real: 9:55pm On Sep 06, 2015
ayokunlei:

wao!! You almost make a 1st class. wishing you the Best!
Thank you Sir

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by timifakay(m): 3:01am On Sep 07, 2015
bagger293:
I'm not after the money...I just dont want to be idle after graduation and I have a passion for lecturing mehn...so much time to yourself...

Time for yourself? I don't think so.
If you said time doing what you love/ enjoy correct. That's because you will follow the professor you are working under to class, mark the assignments, tests and exams. If you got favours from other lecturers, you may be called on for petty tasks too. Meanwhile you have your own MSc to face.

osifred:

I would normally not reponse to you for be so wrong and still claim to be right. The teacher registration council of Nigeria (TRCN) Act makes it punishable offence for anybody or institutions to employ somebody as a teacher who is not a trained and registered teacher, it also stipulate as an offence anybody who teach without being trained and register in all levels of our education system. Whether that is been implemented is a topic for another day. Most of your lecturers in addition to their BSc, masters or PhD have atleast a post graduate diploma in education otherwise they won't be promoted even when employed through the back. Your lecturers won't tell you because the information doesn't concern you in anyway unless you are being groom to become a lecturer. Take this as free information from somebody in the system.

I disagree because, I think there's a difference between lecturing and teaching especially when those being lectured are not in the field of education

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by osifred(m): 7:04am On Sep 07, 2015
timifakay:

Time for yourself? I don't think so.
If you said time doing what you love/ enjoy correct. That's because you will follow the professor you are working under to class, mark the assignments, tests and exams. If you got favours from other lecturers, you may be called on for petty tasks too. Meanwhile you have your own MSc to face.

I disagree because, I think there's a difference between lecturing and teaching especially when those being lectured are not in the field of education

Don't disagree but accept that you have learnt something new. A primary school teacher and a university lecturer are both in the same teaching profession and must therefore be trained and registered before they can be called professional teacher fit to be employed to teach into any level of education, appointed or promoted within the school system. Anything short of this is an offense.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 8:18am On Sep 07, 2015
osifred:

Don't disagree but accept that you have learnt something new. A primary school teacher and a university lecturer are both in the same teaching profession and must therefore be trained and registered before they can be called professional teacher fit to be employed to teach into any level of education, appointed or promoted within the school system. Anything short of this is an offense.

He's right in disagreeing. Teaching qualifications are optional in the lecturing profession. Just get a handbook of your school and read through the qualifications of all the principal officers and see how many of them possess any teaching qualifications. I can send you the promotion guidelines (or even the form) of my university, they value computer literacy (it is a promotion requirement) more than teaching qualifications.

3 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Bruno3000(m): 10:12am On Sep 07, 2015
scarplanet:
1. If you graduated with a first class honours, then the GA appointment is automatic in virtually all institutions

2. If you have a second class upper, apply to the registrar of your desired institution through the HOD of your desired department just like sureguy said. It could be a lot easier if you are applying to your alma-matar.
I suggest you bag one or two certifications in your desired field, it should be an advantage. Also it's advisable to join one or two professional bodies relevant to your field; there are some free professional bodies btw.

3. I don't think a degree below second class upper is usually considered for appointment for Graduate Assistant. Unless ofcourse on certain special occasions.

4. For your Msc, you dont need to do it in the university you are employed into, though it will be favourable for u if u do it there. Upon appointment into a university, you can get a study fellowship (scholarship) or TETFUND to study anywhere in the world.

5. Finally, you should know the pay as a Graduate Assistant is meagre. It's about 2/3 of what an entry level permanent staff in a good bank gets, less than 1/4 of what a fresh entry level NLNG staff gets, and maybe a little bit lesser than what other fresh graduates gets in other federal parastatal. In a nutshell, what I am insinuating is that if u want a GA job for the passion you have for it, then great. If you want it because you think federal government jobs pay well, then you will be so disappointed.

Goodluck bro
morning bro, I intend to get certified during my nysc programme (am a prospective corper for batch B) in taxation matters I.e via chattered institute of taxation (CIT). Any idea on how I can go about it? Tanx in advance.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Shinelle(f): 11:18am On Sep 07, 2015
this thread is really insightful...
thanks to all contributors.

I'm actually in a similar dilemma...
(B.sc Accounting-First class/Best Graduating student , M.sc in view, ICAN in progress, rounding off nysc very soon)

I schooled in a state university however and I'm not an indigene of that state as such I'm wondering how easy/difficult it would be getting in... I applied to start my M.sc there also.. I've always loved teaching people, my only reservation with GA/ lecturing is I really would love to go to the field before coming back to teach others.

for example, I find it amusing that someone who lectures Auditing has never audited any accounts before.. I dont know...

therefore.. would y'all advise a graduate like to work and garner experience or to go straight with my "textbook knowledge"?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by effyzie01(m): 1:26pm On Sep 07, 2015
Shinelle:

(B.sc Accounting-First class/Best Graduating student , M.sc in view, ICAN in progress, rounding off nysc very soon)

I schooled in a state university however and I'm not an indigene of that state as such I'm wondering how easy/difficult it would be getting in... I applied to start my M.sc there also.. I've always loved teaching people, my only reservation with GA/ lecturing is I really would love to go to the field before coming back to teach others.

for example, I find it amusing that someone who lectures Auditing has never audited any accounts before.. I dont know...

therefore.. would y'all advise a graduate like to work and garner experience or to go straight with my "textbook knowledge"?

Wonderful. State Universities tend to have different rules from Federal Universities; the fact that you're from another state may count against you. But that's not to say that you shouldn't apply. If your state has a University, you can apply there or to any of these new Universities.

Look beyond a GA. With your ICAN and MSc in progress, most Universities will give you an AL.

I agree that it is important to garner 'field' experience before teaching. For example, supervisors of my MSc degrees are both industry men before coming back to the academics. Prof I. Sada worked with NNPC for close to 30 years and Dr KR Finney was a leading expert in Landfill Gas Engineering with DEFRA in the UK. However, experience could be gained 'in service', you can always go to the industry on secondment or leave of absence and garner valuable experience before returning. I worked on secondment with MEL Engineering Services in Birmingham, UK where I worked as Supervisory Environmental Engineer for 2 years. That's why lecturing is such a wonderful profession

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by CCsurplus007(m): 9:15pm On Sep 07, 2015
Shinelle:

You can always do both. In any case even if u focus on academics now you can easily get an industry job much later and vice versa.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Rogz85(m): 11:07pm On Sep 07, 2015
osifred:

NUC stated that the minimum qualification to lecture in Nigeria is a Ph.D.
Not having a post graduate diploma in education is not an offence neither is is it a crime and it would not in anyway affect one's promotion

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by macjireh: 3:13am On Sep 18, 2015
I graduated with a 2.2 but was promised a similar job, I don't know if mine will pull through although I applied through d H.O.D
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by iamclime(m): 5:01pm On Mar 19, 2016
Shinelle:

If you have opportunity to gather some experience before venturing into academics, please do. It definitely improves your pedagogy and performance. It also boosts the morale of your students to know that their lecturer is/was a practitioner on the subject matter. I will always remember Dr. A.A Idris and the way he taught Sales Management. You know you are being tutored by someone who has been in the field. Most of the things taught in our schools are esoteric in nature. It's time we change the way we do things, including the way we teach. All the best.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Nobody: 4:47am On Apr 17, 2016
igstars:

Am waiting for the list too... Applied 4 biochemistry via jamb, but saw only chemistry on my post ume slip.. Found out they don't rily have biochemistry in rsust... So am going for the chemistry... Wishing myself all the best...
were you admitted?
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by iamclime(m): 12:19pm On Apr 18, 2016
SmartProf:
Apart from the 2.1 grade, and the various offices you should direct your application letters to as already stated by previous contributors, you must sometimes be an indigene of the state if you are applying to a state university and you must also be sensitive to know when the university is likely to be expecting the NUC for accreditation so as to make the relevance of your application more weighty. Besides the official salary is above 90k but may differ if the school has not yet confirmed your appointment...the overseas Msc/Phd TETFUND scholarship sponsorship you obtain as a result is always a plus though you will be bonded for some years
You must be an insider. This is one of the most relevant posts here. I can relate with all you have said. Nice
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by iamclime(m): 12:36pm On Apr 18, 2016
yungprof09:
well put..gone are those days when the teaching profession is been rediculed,now u must attain a degree in education so as to be in a better place wen it comes to lecturing.
Very wrong assertion and generalization. Lecturing and teaching at primary/post-primary level are not the same. Have you read the Conditions of Service of any university to confirm that qualifications in Education are sine qua non to getting lecturing appointments? Please do not mislead others. Best wishes
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by igstars(f): 6:58am On Apr 19, 2016
SaintHephzibah:
were you admitted?

Yes, thank you...
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by benny4wax(m): 10:17pm On Apr 28, 2016
I have been following this thread carefully for a while now but not for once have I commented. I don't know if it's because what others are craving for, I already have at my beck and call but I can't grab it.

let me share my ordeal with you, I was offered a graduate assistant job in one of our state owned university after graduation last year, I was supposed to serve (NYSC) this month but I can't, because I am still owing the school three year school fees. Ever since my graduation I have been working as a trusted staff of the department and they compensate me with little cash for my effort all thanks to the trust and belief my HOD and lecturers have in me. The only thing hindering me from going for youth service is the poverty I inherited from my parents.

My younger sister (The first daughter of the family) a very brilliant young lady was given out for marriage last year contrary to her innitial plans of obtaining a university degree. I cried the day she broke the news to me. she is a mother of a beautiful girl now and I still don't know where to garner the courage to congratulate her from. I just hate my life and I feel useless now, I am the first in a family of six.

The only being I need now are Angels because humans have always failed me but God has remained ever faithful by opening doors for me.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by wiZbanky(m): 11:54pm On Apr 29, 2016
Antoinne:
I was actually offered such position upon graduation, but rejected it. Even though now I have a much higher paying job, more than 10 times what a GA earns, I actually wish I had taken that GA job. Bro, if you've got the passion for that job, please just do it! smiley
Bros shey na 800k u dey kolet per month ni cos I know GA dey kolet reach 80k

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by cdizz(m): 3:00am On May 25, 2016
I am in a dilemma right now. Well, actually I have always loved to impact knowledge which automatically expresses teaching traits in me. I was such an un serious scholar during my undergraduate days in school. I handled my academics with a lackadaisical attitude. I was 16 when I got admitted into a tertiary institution. No guidance, no orientation. I realized I had to study hard at the 'late hours' of my undergraduate studies. I started reading seriously @ 400level after which my grades had been consistently low from 100l to 300l. I still remember I was on a 2.5 CGPA. I sat up nd read well nd never had less than 4.5 for the remaining semesters. I finally graduated with a 2:2. 3.01 to be precise.
Now the fact is that, I am brilliant but lost direction at first. I have started a masters program in the same school and will be rounding off next year. I so much love teaching that whenever I teach, students always want me to come back n teach them all throughout the day( nysc experience) that's how much they enjoy my style of teaching.
Now I dream everyday about this lecturing career. But my major and only concern is my undergraduate grade 2:2.
Please academic veterans and advisers on nairaland, I really need you to awaken my hope please. Will I ever have the chance of acceptance into any university as a lecturer considering my faulty 1st degree grade. I am greatly perplexed. I am almost getting despaired. I am even currently resolving on practicing my dream career in a secondary school even with a masters degree. That shows how disdained I am. Nairalanders PLS I need your help on how to go about this career dragging along my 1st degree burden. Thank you.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by fratermathy(m): 7:29am On May 25, 2016
cdizz:
I am in a dilemma right now. Well, actually I have always loved to impact knowledge which automatically expresses teaching traits in me. I was such an un serious scholar during my undergraduate days in school. I handled my academics with a lackadaisical attitude. I was 16 when I got admitted into a tertiary institution. No guidance, no orientation. I realized I had to study hard at the 'late hours' of my undergraduate studies. I started reading seriously @ 400level after which my grades had been consistently low from 100l to 300l. I still remember I was on a 2.5 CGPA. I sat up nd read well nd never had less than 4.5 for the remaining semesters. I finally graduated with a 2:2. 3.01 to be precise.
Now the fact is that, I am brilliant but lost direction at first. I have started a masters program in the same school and will be rounding off next year. I so much love teaching that whenever I teach, students always want me to come back n teach them all throughout the day( nysc experience) that's how much they enjoy my style of teaching.
Now I dream everyday about this lecturing career. But my major and only concern is my undergraduate grade 2:2.
Please academic veterans and advisers on nairaland, I really need you to awaken my hope please. Will I ever have the chance of acceptance into any university as a lecturer considering my faulty 1st degree grade. I am greatly perplexed. I am almost getting despaired. I am even currently resolving on practicing my dream career in a secondary school even with a masters degree. That shows how disdained I am. Nairalanders PLS I need your help on how to go about this career dragging along my 1st degree burden. Thank you.

Masters automatically cancels any first degree defect(s). Just try and graduate with a PhD grade of 60% in your masters and then enroll for a PhD. In other to gain an assistant lecturer job, all you need is your masters. It's only in graduate assistantship that they take cognisance of your first degree.
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by cdizz(m): 9:23am On May 25, 2016
You don't know what you just did now. You just put a smile on a worried face. I thank u nd love u
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by farouk0403(m): 6:13pm On May 29, 2016
benny4wax:
I have been following this thread carefully for a while now but not for once have I commented. I don't know if it's because what others are craving for, I already have at my beck and call but I can't grab it.

let me share my ordeal with you, I was offered a graduate assistant job in one of our state owned university after graduation last year, I was supposed to serve (NYSC) this month but I can't, because I am still owing the school three year school fees. Ever since my graduation I have been working as a trusted staff of the department and they compensate me with little cash for my effort all thanks to the trust and belief my HOD and lecturers have in me. The only thing hindering me from going for youth service is the poverty I inherited from my parents.

My younger sister (The first daughter of the family) a very brilliant young lady was given out for marriage last year contrary to her innitial plans of obtaining a university degree. I cried the day she broke the news to me. she is a mother of a beautiful girl now and I still don't know where to garner the courage to congratulate her from. I just hate my life and I feel useless now, I am the first in a family of six.

The only being I need now are Angels because humans have always failed me but God has remained ever faithful by opening doors for me.

your story is heart touching, how I wish I can help you but unfortunately am yet to graduate... but I will keep on praying for you. is not easy to be a first born

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by lilliesboy(m): 9:26pm On Sep 04, 2016
Am also presently pursuing the same GA position in a federal university in Nigeria. If you made a First Class or 2nd Class-Upper honours then you are genuinely qualified to apply for the post of Graduate Assistant.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by Helina007(f): 9:30pm On Sep 17, 2017
I'm really interested in graduate assistant job. I also discovered that during my service year, I have interest in teaching and I really want to pursue it but how do I do that with the 2.2 I bagged in my first degree. pls help a sister
Re: How To Get A Graduate Assistant Job by scarplanet(m): 12:16am On Sep 18, 2017
Helina007:
I'm really interested in graduate assistant job. I also discovered that during my service year, I have interest in teaching and I really want to pursue it but how do I do that with the 2.2 I bagged in my first degree. pls help a sister

My advice: Get a masters degree, then apply for the position of Assistant Lecturer. Hopefully, you might get it

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos Of Two Security Men Sleeping On Duty / Consolidated Breweries Test, LETS MEET HERE / ARM Life PLC Job Recruitment 2017 (10 Positions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.