Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] (39661 Views)

2016 NAIRALAND JAMB TUTORIAL {the Physics Thread } / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [use Of English Thread] / Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroom [chemistry Thread] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by alakara(m): 7:51pm On Oct 25, 2015
mathefaro:
1. A man and wife went to buy an article costing N400. the woman had 10% of the cost and the man 40% of the remainder. How much did they have altogether?

2. A bag contains 5 black, 4 white and x red marbles.
If the probability of picking a red marble is 2/5 find the value of x

3. A sector of a circle is bounded by two radii 7cm long and arc length 6cm. find the area of the sector.

4. Find the slope of the curve y = 2x^2 + 5x - 3 at (1,4)

2. X=6
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by mathefaro(m): 6:17am On Oct 26, 2015
alakara:

2. X=6
Yeah, you're correct. But it's better you show your full workings to the house. Moreover, where's the remaining 2 answers
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Nobody: 2:00am On Oct 29, 2015
mathefaro:
1. A man and wife went to buy an article costing N400. the woman had 10% of the cost and the man 40% of the remainder. How much did they have altogether?

2. A bag contains 5 black, 4 white and x red marbles.
If the probability of picking a red marble is 2/5 find the value of x

3. A sector of a circle is bounded by two radii 7cm long and arc length 6cm. find the area of the sector.

4. Find the slope of the curve of y = 2x^2 + 5x - 3 at (1,4)

(1) the woman had 10% of the cost.
10% of the cost is 10/100 × N400 = N40

the man had 40% of the remainder.
the remainder is N400- N40= N360
40% of the remainder is 40/100 × N360= N 144

the both had N184 altogether

(2) Total marble in the bag= 5+4+x= 9+x
probability of picking a red marble;

x/(9+x) =2/5
cross multiply to get;
5x= 18+2x
solve the linear equation to get;

x= 6

(3) radius of the circle: 7cm
length of the arc: 6cm
first obtain the angel of the arc in degree, then proceed to use;
area of a sector= pir²¢/360

2pir¢/360 =6

pi= 22/7

(2×22/7 ×7¢)/360=6

44¢/360=6

A¢=6 ( A=44/360)

¢= 6/A

¢= 49°

area of the sector is;

49×22/7×49/360= 20.96cm2

(4) Gradient of the slope of the curve of
y= 2x2 + 5x -3 at (1,4)

NB: the (1,4) is the coordinate (x,y)

first differentiate the equation of the curve to obtain;

y' = 4x + 5 ______(1)

obtain the gradient of the slope of the curve by substituting for x in equation (1)

y' = 4(1) + 5 = 9

NB: y' is not y, it is the first derivative of y.

Equation of the slope;

(x-1)/(y-4) = 9

(this is synonymous to slope=(x2-x1)/(y2-y1) )

cross multiply to get;

x-1 = 9y - 36

9y - x = 35

you didn't show up in chemistry thread, please we need more tutors in the thread.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Nobody: 3:37am On Oct 29, 2015

(1) Find the normal to the slope of the curve y= x2 - 9 at x= 3.

(2) Find the geometric mean of the series 2, x, 25/2, hence find x.

(3) 6cosx + 9sinx = 10, find x

(4) find the integral of tanx
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by mathefaro(m): 6:54am On Oct 29, 2015
icecalm:

(3) radius of the circle: 7cm
length of the arc: 6cm
first obtain the angel of the arc in degree, then proceed to use;
area of a sector= 1/2 r2sin¢

2pir¢/360 =6

pi= 22/7

(2×22/7 ×7¢)/360=6

44¢/360=6

A¢=6 ( A=44/360)

¢= 6/A

¢= 49°

area of the sector is;

1/2×72×sin49 = 49/2×sin49

= 18.49cm2

I'm sorry, this is not correct. Actually this formula you used is for getting area of the triangle inscribed in the sector. The area of a sector has a formula different from this... Check it out please. Put a mention on my handle in the chemistry thread so that I can lend a helping hand when it's needed.
Good morning to y'all
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Nobody: 7:51pm On Oct 29, 2015
mathefaro:
I'm sorry, this is not correct. Actually this formula you used is for getting area of the triangle inscribed in the sector. The area of a sector has a formula different from this... Check it out please. Put a mention on my handle in the chemistry thread so that I can lend a helping hand when it's needed.
Good morning to y'all
the problem here is that, I couldn't remember what a sector really is,grin

oh, is the sector that bounded portion by the radii of the circle?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by mathefaro(m): 5:58am On Oct 30, 2015
icecalm:
the problem here is that, I couldn't remember what a sector really is,grin

oh, is the sector that bounded portion by the radii of the circle?
exactly
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Nobody: 11:39am On Oct 30, 2015
mathefaro:
exactly
okay i have corrected it
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Godzlove8(m): 12:44pm On Nov 06, 2015
Followin
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 06, 2015
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Godzlove8(m): 8:18pm On Nov 06, 2015
Tobiee:
ProphetUdeme do u know any jamb lesson academy u can recommend?
bro..can we be studyin at my place in nwaniba? I need a readin partner
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Godzlove8(m): 8:54pm On Nov 06, 2015
Please you guys should create a thread for physics...and also, is there any maths freak that lives in uyo here? Please holla...i really need you, thanks
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Nobody: 12:07am On Nov 07, 2015
Godzlove8:
gimme ur number. Its me prophetudeme, did u apply in UI?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Godzlove8(m): 4:39am On Nov 07, 2015
SaintHephzibah:
gimme ur number. Its me prophetudeme, did u apply in UI?
nah..i later change institution..the distance is too far from home
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 07, 2015
Godzlove8:
nah..i later change institution..the distance is too far from home
but u go dey board for hostel nah, so which school did u apply into?
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Godzlove8(m): 8:43pm On Nov 07, 2015
SaintHephzibah:
but u go dey board for hostel nah, so which school did u apply into?
unical
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Nobody: 8:46pm On Nov 07, 2015
Godzlove8:
unical
if so then u must be bigneorapz
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Godzlove8(m): 8:52pm On Nov 07, 2015
SaintHephzibah:
if so then u must be bigneorapz
no
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Nobody: 10:42pm On Nov 08, 2015
Godzlove8:
[email] sorry, too far. [/email]
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Mathemagician1(m): 8:44am On Dec 09, 2015
What happened to this thread? Let's help out while we can shall we. I volunteer to take section IV - Calculus tutorial.

SECTION IV: CALCULUS
I. Differentiation:
(a) limit of a function;
(b) differentiation of explicit algebraic and simple trigonometric functions - sine, cosine and tangent.

2. Application of differentiation:
(a) rate of change
(b) maxima and minima

3. Integration:
(a) integration of explicit algebraic and simple trigonometric functions.
(a) area under the curve.

I call on our able moderators and all maths gurus on this forum to lend a helping hand in demystifying mathematics for the younger generation.

Geofavor
ProphetUdeme
Orezy5
agentofchange1
stlaibrowne
MathsChic
thankyouJesus
Madmathecian
ladokuntlad
masperano
olawalebabs
Richiez
Fynestboi
Lalasticlala
Seun
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Geofavor(m): 11:05am On Dec 09, 2015
Mathemagician1:
What happened to this thread? Let's help out while we can shall we. I volunteer to take section IV - Calculus tutorial.

I. Differentiation:
(a) limit of a function;
(b) differentiation of explicit algebraic and simple trigonometric functions - sine, cosine and tangent.

(a) rate of change
(b) maxima and minima

3. Integration:

I call on our able moderators and all maths gurus on this forum to lend a helping hand in demystifying mathematics for the younger generation.
pls start, i'm following.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by thankyouJesus(m): 4:24pm On Dec 09, 2015
Mathemagician1:

I. Differentiation:
(a) limit of a function;

(a) rate of change
(b) maxima and minima

3. Integration:

Geofavor
ProphetUdeme
Orezy5
agentofchange1
stlaibrowne
MathsChic
thankyouJesus
Madmathecian
ladokuntlad
masperano
olawalebabs
Richiez
Fynestboi
Lalasticlala
Seun
Present sir, I will try my best to contribute. I tutored some University of Ibadan aspirants on calculus, I will advice you skip it, all I have to do is copy and paste
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Mathemagician1(m): 4:40pm On Dec 09, 2015
thankyouJesus:
Present sir, I will try my best to contribute. I tutored some University of Ibadan aspirants on calculus, I will advice you skip it, all I have to do is copy and paste

Very well then, I'll take SECTION II - ALGEBRA. I'm going to start preparing my material right away. Let's keep this thread alive.

Cheers.

SECTION II: ALGEBRA
1. Polynomials:
(a) change of subject of formula
(b) factor and remainder theorems
(c) factorization of polynomials of degree not exceeding 3.
(d) multiplication and division of polynomials
(e) roots of polynomials not exceeding degree 3
(f) simultaneous equations including one linear, one quadratic
(g) graphs of polynomials of degree not greater than 3

2. Variation:
(a) direct
(b) inverse
(c) joint
(d) partial
(e) percentage increase and decrease.

3. Inequalities:
(a) analytical and graphical solutions of linear inequalities.
(b) quadratic inequalities with integral roots only.

4. Progression:
(a) nth term of a progression
(b) sum of A. P. and G. P.

5. Binary Operations:
(a) properties of closure, commutativity, associativity and distributivity.
(b) identity and inverse elements.

6. Matrices and Determinants:
(a) algebra of matrices not exceeding 3 x 3.
(b) determinants of matrices not exceeding 3 x 3.
(c) inverses of 2 x 2 matrices [excluding quadratic and higher degree equations].
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by mathefaro(m): 5:00pm On Dec 09, 2015
Let me get my writing materials to learn from the bosses....
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by thankyouJesus(m): 5:10pm On Dec 09, 2015
Go down
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by thankyouJesus(m): 5:16pm On Dec 09, 2015
thankyouJesus:
[b]Good evening all, as per my obligation, today will be "our" first class. "We" will be considering differentiation.
Note 1:
1. dy/dx can also be represented as y'.
2. d2y/dx2 can also be represented as y", till infinity.
3. d/dx means "we" are differentiating with respect to x, d/du means we are differentiating with respect to . . . . . . . . . . . .very good, u.
4. wrt means with respect to.
DIFFERENTIATION.
Differentiation means rate of change.
General formula:
if y = axn,
a is the co-efficient of x.
n is the power of x.
Therefore, dy/dx = power "times" co-effecient of x "times" the power of x "minus" 1.
Mathematically,
y = axn,
dy/dx = naxn - 1.
-----------------------------
Example 1. Find y' [it also means dy/dx] if y = 2x.
Solution:
the co-efficient of x is 2.
The power of x is 1.
Therefore,
y = 2x
dy/dx = (1)(2)x1-1
dy/dx = 2x0
dy/dx = 2(1)
because x0 is 1.
dy/dx = 2.
Example 2: find y' if y = 3x4.
Solution:
y = 3x4
y = 12x3
Example 3: find y' if y = x
y' = 1.
Very good, because,
y = x
the co-efficient of x is 1.
The power of x is 1.
Therefore,
y = x
y' = (1)(1)x1-1
y' = 1x0
y' = 1(1)
y' = 1.
Example 4: find y' if y = 2.
Solution:
y = 2,
the question can also be changed into
y = 2(1)
it can be further changed into
y = 2(x0)
since,
y = 2x0
y' = (0)(2)x0-1
y' = 0x-1
y' = 0.
Note 2: The derivative of a constant is 0.
i.e
d/dx (7) = 0
d/dx (10) = 0, but,
d/dx (7x) = 7
d/dx (10x) = 10.
Summary:
1. Differentiation means rate of change.
2. If y = axn, then dy/dx = naxn-1.
3. The differentiation of constant values is 0. E.g,
y = 6,
dy/dx = 0,
y = 1000000000
dy/dx = 0.
Assignment: find dy/dx if y =
1. 20x
2. -50x3
3. -25x-2
4. 30/x2, [Hint: 1/x2 is x-2.
Any question?

Good night class.
23rd March, 2015.
21:35:45
[/b]
This is a direct copy, I need to be sure people still visit this nairaland for knowledge to avoid the math gurus wasting their time. Just 2 or more comments will do.
www.nairaland.com/modifypost?redirect=%2Fthankyoujesus%2Fposts%2F16%2331931741&post=31931741
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Mathemagician1(m): 5:20pm On Dec 09, 2015
SECTION II - POLYNOMIALS

(A) CHANGE OF SUBJECT OF FORMULA

A formula is an equation containing two of more variables and it describes how the variables are related.

Example 1: The formula I = PTR/100 is used for finding simple interest where P = Principal, R = Rate and T = Time. Observe that the same letter can stand for different quantities in different formula.
To find the Principal (P) from I = PTR/100

I = PTR/100
Multiply both sides by 100
100I = PTR
Divide both sides by TR
P = 100I/TR

We can also find Time (T) by applying the same principles.

I = PTR/100
100I = PTR
Divide both sides by PR
T = 100I/PR

CLASS WORK:
(1) Make R the subject of formula if I = PTR/100

Change of formula to be continued shortly.…

1 Like

Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by thankyouJesus(m): 5:27pm On Dec 09, 2015
Mathemagician1:
SECTION II - POLYNOMIALS

A formula is an equation containing two of more variables and it describes how the variables are related.

Example 1: The formula I = PTR/100 is used for finding simple interest where P = Principal, R = Rate and T = Time. Observe that the same letter can stand for different quantities in different formula.

I = PTR/100
100I = PTR
Divide both sides by TR
P = 100I/TR

I = PTR/100
100I = PTR
Divide both sides by PR
T = 100I/PR

CLASS WORK:

Am not sure if we can cope with two topics, let me wait for you to round up.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Mathemagician1(m): 5:35pm On Dec 09, 2015
thankyouJesus:
This is a direct copy, I need to be sure people still visit this nairaland for knowledge to avoid the math gurus wasting their time. Just 2 or more comments will do.

Sir, which application do you use that makes your math look so orderly? I don't like the idea of write power as(^) and square root as sqrt. I want people to see the real thing.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Geofavor(m): 5:52pm On Dec 09, 2015
Mathemagician1:

Sir, which application do you use that makes your math so orderly? I don't like the idea of write power as(^) and square root as sqrt. I want people to see the real thing.
you can also do so without an app, sir. Let's say you wanna type 2^2, Just type like this, 2[sup]2[sup]....

for 2base2, type 2[sub]2[sub] ... But remember to put a backslash in the second parenthesis in each case.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by thankyouJesus(m): 6:00pm On Dec 09, 2015
Mathemagician1:

Sir, which application do you use that makes your math look so orderly? I don't like the idea of write power as(^) and square root as sqrt. I want people to see the real thing.
Sir ke, me na small boy o. For power, use [sup]the power stuff[/su p]without the space. Eg 2x^(y-4) =2x[sup](y-4)[/su p] remember, without the space.
Re: Nairaland 2016 Jamb Tutorial Classroon [mathematics Thread] by Geofavor(m): 6:01pm On Dec 09, 2015
Mathemagician1:
SECTION II - POLYNOMIALS

I = PTR/100
100I = PTR
Divide both sides by TR
P = 100I/TR

I = PTR/100
100I = PTR
Divide both sides by PR
T = 100I/PR

CLASS WORK:

I x 100 = pTR
R = I x 100
..............pT

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (20) (Reply)

Parents Of Dowen Students On A Zoom Call: Mother Flares up, Ex-Counselor Admits / 12 New Federal Universities Approved As 2nd Choice By JAMB For 2017 Registration / WAEC Results: Musa Salmanu Got All As

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.