Stats: 3,153,113 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour (21621 Views)

Buhari To Fire 6000 Workers In FAAN, NAMA NCAA / ... Was Sacked For Not Dancing To 'shake Body'... Now An Employer Of Labour / AIT Staff Beg Buhari To Intervene In Salary Crisis (2) (3) (4)

Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by lolaxavier(m): 3:31pm On Sep 05, 2015
Transport staff of the Dangote Cement Company, Obajana, are at loggerheads with the management of the company over poor remuneration, threatening not to resume work until their demands are met.

The workers who barricaded the entrance gate on Friday did not allow some management staff to drive in to the premises.

The workers who chatted with Vanguard at the premises of the company in Obajana,Friday, asked President Muhammed Buhari to beam the anti graft light on the business Czar, Aliko Dangote because he is underpaying for labour, thereby exploiting them for his private gain.

They called on Presidency to implore Alhaji Aloko Dangote to implement workers’ welfare measures and look into demands for salary increment in view of the economic situation which is biting hard on their families.

A worker who simply identified himself as Chizoba said they are the ones doing the work which has rated Dangote as one of the richest in the world.

“We implore the President of Nigeria to advise Alh. Dangote to place the workers’ welfare on the front burners to ensure industrial harmony at the company. We cannot be working for one of the world’s richest men who will in turn, be paying us peanuts as salaries”, he said.

The workers said it was unacceptable for management to be paying them N20,000 naira per month when some of the management staff earn as high as a million naira per month.

They said they cannot be slaves in their own land.

“For more than 5yrs the company had been promising us increment and promotion. ”
Another staff Usman Garuba said they have been working for years in the company and the management kept promising them better welfare packages but have failed.
“The last meeting that we held with the management they promised to implement the salary increase within one week but they have failed.

“We added two days and now another one week has elapsed. We demand that a top management officer from the head office come to address us if not we are going to continue the current strike”.

The workers said they are ready to go to any length to achieve their objective.
“Some of us are taking N25000, some N30000 and some N40000. They are paying the expatriates N2M monthly. If they don’t need us let them sack us”, Garuba said.

Efforts by our reporters to get the management’s side of the story were rebuffed as they all declined comment on the issue.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/transport-staff-ask-buhari-to-probe-dangote-say-he-is-underpaying-for-labour/

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by OVI75(m): 3:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
Ehen.ok oooo

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 05, 2015
I Don't feel this is within the constitutional powers af tha president. As far as I know, OgA Dangote is nat a politician . Abi who will educate me?

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by OVI75(m): 3:36pm On Sep 05, 2015
FTC shud incase it makes firs page.Abeg make man add somtin nw s wetin poverty dey do.
Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by lolaxavier(m): 3:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:
I Don't feel this is within the constitutional powers af tha president. As far as I know, OgA Dangote is nat a politician . Abi who will educate me?

Not sure either but I guess companies as such have social responsibilities to the communities in which they operate in since they are benefitting from the local raw materials. However, I am not sure if the president has any power to force salary upgrade.

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 05, 2015
lolaxavier:

Not sure either but I guess companies as such have social responsibilities to the communities in which they operate in since they are benefitting from the local raw materials. However, I am not sure if the president has any power to force salary upgrade.

Yh, the govt has that power to not really 'force' but actually design tha minimum wage which the company cannot reduce but if they wish increase.... My headache is not with that actually , twas the 'probe' that caught me bro. U dig?
Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by osamaBUSH(m): 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2015
May i......
Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by lolaxavier(m): 4:20pm On Sep 05, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:

Yh, the govt has that power to not really 'force' but actually design tha minimum wage which the company cannot reduce but if they wish increase.... My headache is not with that actually , twas the 'probe' that caught me bro. U dig?

Buhari has bigger problems to solve. This is just a spec of sand in the whole matter.

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 05, 2015
God punish all this useless employers

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 05, 2015
lolaxavier:

Buhari has bigger problems to solve. This is just a spec of sand in the whole matter.

Hmm . No!

No cos UhMm ; minding the SIZE af the LABOR CONCERNED and their dependants too , welfare matters a whole lot. That's one.

Two, can you imagine the stand-still then effect; economically , socially and even biologically when the transit af cement and other products from Dangote's stable on Nigeria is cut short?

No I guess. grin cos if you'd considered these, you wouldn't proclaim this's a spec af sand in tha whole Nigeria's mata lol

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by mikolo80: 4:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
lolaxavier:

do they not pay taxes. abeg make we hear word about social responsibility. if the man carry him factory comot na, na cry we go de hear. stupid labor unions. if you no like d job, quit and go and start your own company them pay your workers whatever you like

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by mikolo80: 4:36pm On Sep 05, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:

America 'forced' minimum wage, factories moved to China, Who lose

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by Bevista: 4:42pm On Sep 05, 2015
If they don’t need us let them sack us
I can hear management saying "if you don't need the job, you can leave".

Really disheartening to be working for Africa's richest man and yet still live like a pauper. If true, i'll be somewhat disappointed with Dangote. Is he making his fortune off the sweat of poor desperate Nigerians? Sad!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by hinwazaka: 5:27pm On Sep 05, 2015
I'm still waiting for someone to ask the investigative agencies to launch an investigation into the $2.8 billion, that was reported stolen, under the President's watch as the petroleum minister in General Obasanjo's regime. Also since this is a dispensation, focused on investigations, it wouldn't be too much of a problem, to start a thorough investigation into what transpired during the Abacha regime. The likes of the defunct PTF, operation sweep, vision 2010 amongst a host of other projects should be investigated, so as to give us insight into why a government, that had the likes of our Gandhi president failed to reform and restructure the power sector, failed to revamp the moribund petroleum industry, did nothing to help the plight of our health sector, failed to construct state of the art road networks in all regions of the country and also failed to boost the economy with a breakaway from the monoeconomy practices that was prevalent then.
The President, should do the appropriate thing, and write to the EFCC and ICPC on this.

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by tartar9(m): 6:06pm On Sep 05, 2015
20k,that is why you are truck drivers
Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by lolaxavier(m): 6:10pm On Sep 05, 2015
hinwazaka:
I'm still waiting for someone to ask the investigative agencies to launch an investigation into the $2.8 billion, that was reported stolen, under the President's watch as the petroleum minister in General Obasanjo's regime. Also since this is a dispensation, focused on investigations, it wouldn't be too much of a problem, to start a thorough investigation into what transpired during the Abacha regime. The likes of the defunct PTF, operation sweep, vision 2010 amongst a host of other projects should be investigated, so as to give us insight into why a government, that had the likes of our Gandhi president failed to reform and restructure the power sector, failed to revamp the moribund petroleum industry, did nothing to help the plight of our health sector, failed to construct state of the art road networks in all regions of the country and also failed to boost the economy with a breakaway from the monoeconomy practices that was prevalent then.
The President, should do the appropriate thing, and write to the EFCC and ICPC on this.

Not sure what this has to do with the issue at hand

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by Bonapart(m): 6:43pm On Sep 05, 2015
Probing, probing, probing while time is fast running out

This administration is fuckd up already

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by LMAyedun(m): 6:43pm On Sep 05, 2015
Buhari the prober.. Probing anything Probable.
Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by Kelklein(m): 6:43pm On Sep 05, 2015
In the defence of Dangote

the last time I checked,, minimum wage in the country is 18,000...the complainant stated that some are paid as much as 40000, none is paid less than 20000..

so what's the fuss all about.

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by mekzyjoe(m): 6:43pm On Sep 05, 2015
Staffs r really underpayed n d workin condition is jst bad xpecially dos guys in transport.

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by mekzyjoe(m): 6:44pm On Sep 05, 2015
Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by KpStone(m): 6:44pm On Sep 05, 2015
It's been 5 days since my ban on nairalander was lifted and I'm yet to recover fully.

FP. Chai

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by temitemi1(m): 6:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
Buhari body language is needed grin

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by WIZGUY69(m): 6:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
what to do you expect from a private company?
as far as u a junior staff, ur salary is equivalent to the senior staff's allowances! grin
Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by strawb(f): 6:47pm On Sep 05, 2015
If you think buari will do that, you are on a long thing.... I don't know y people believe in this administration that depend on lies and propaganda....

Check my profile to reduce your weight and achieve a flat tummy using CLEAN 9

Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by kenbee(f): 6:47pm On Sep 05, 2015
My woman. My everything
Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by NinaArsenal(f): 6:48pm On Sep 05, 2015
Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by adesegun121(m): 6:48pm On Sep 05, 2015
Make una no worry...

Change don land for 9ja now...

Nobody go escape probing...

Including tinubu sef..

Baba go probe anythin probeable...
Re: Transport Staff Ask Buhari To Probe Dangote, Say He Is Underpaying For Labour by sniperr007(m): 6:49pm On Sep 05, 2015
Y r dey asking buhari to probe? Isn't dat a problem for labour union to help solve.

Confused union.

Racism: How I Lost India Client On Fiverr Because I'm A Nigerian - Photos / Article: The Frustration Of Life - Lordoftheweed / How Much Do Models Earn?