Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,277 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

What Is The Importance Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Importance Of God? (1868 Views)

Importance Of Restitution - Case Study Of Juliana Olayode (aka Toyo Baby) / What Is The Importance Of The Empty Tomb Of Jesus? / The Importance Of Being Thankful To God Through Charity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Importance Of God? by keenn: 9:08pm On Sep 05, 2015
Am an Agnostic, a term am not really proud of. But am left with no choice because, as regards the authentencity and absolute certainty about the existence of a creator/personal God, i am not sure.

Too all that believe in God that he sure exist and He directs the affairs of men, I will so appreciate if u can tell me a Benefit/gains in believing in God.

This can be a turnaround for some of us on the fence
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by menesheh(m): 9:38pm On Sep 05, 2015
keenn:
Am an Agnostic, a term am not really proud of. But am left with no choice because, as regards the authentencity and absolute certainty about the existence of a creator/personal God, i am not sure.

Too all that believe in God that he sure exist and He directs the affairs of men, I will so appreciate if u can tell me a Benefit/gains in believing in God.

Which benefits/gain are talking about again, the arguments for the existence of a god is so huge. Look around you will see the wonders of creation and also a fool says that there is no god. Hope you are satisfy with the explanations.
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by Gombs(m): 11:37pm On Sep 05, 2015
keenn:

Here are some benefits.

Psalms 23
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by respect80(m): 11:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
Keep sitting on the fence till mama calls

Dats when you will know that the difference between acid and water is in the bathing.
Mtcheeeeew
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by Nobody: 7:24am On Sep 06, 2015
without GOD there will be no you and there will be no me.
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by keenn: 7:29am On Sep 06, 2015
menesheh:

Which benefits/gain are talking about again, the arguments for the existence of a god is so huge. Look around you will see the wonders of creation and also a fool says that there is no god. Hope you are satisfy with the explanations.

Does the wonders of creation also includes sickle cell victims, cancer, teratomas, monster children, cLeft lip/palate, inborn errors of metabolisms, earthquake, volcanic eruption, wind turmoils, drought, famine...?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by Liveair: 7:30am On Sep 06, 2015
Obviously, to make his believers feel good about nothing and have hope in something.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by keenn: 7:45am On Sep 06, 2015
Gombs:

Here are some benefits.

Psalms 23

Tell me you don't engage in any productive works that gives u remuneration for survival. The 'I shall not want' should literally mean miraculous supply of needs(wants) as this biblical examples:
-manna from heaven given to the isrealites
-a bird supplying elija/elisha with bread and honey
Those are examples of I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

Agnostic, atheist, muslims, hindusit
have peace of mind. The 'still water phenomenon' is not peculiar or restricted to Christians.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

righteousness would mean?
Sometimes I wonder the advice oyedepo and adeboye gives jonathan with their endless meetings.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

The evil you talk about was created by Him

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Why should a God prepare a table in the presence of ur enemy? Mind u, they are alsO his children, he created them too.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

This is not peculiar to christains too.

my point is, gOod and bad befalls on everyone irrespective of faith and belief. The promise of afterlife is still speculative, no one is certain about it.
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by kevoh(m): 7:52am On Sep 06, 2015
keenn:

Does the wonders of creation also includes sickle cell victims, cancer, teratomas, monster children, cLeft lip/palate, inborn errors of metabolisms, earthquake, volcanic eruption, wind turmoils, drought, famine...?
Lol grin Menesheh was sarcastic, you just didn't realise it!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by johnydon22(m): 8:07am On Sep 06, 2015
keenn:

[b]You see these beliefs somehow produces a psychological soft landing for many even though the concept is a vague abstract concept.

Many humans has been imbedded with a pitiable unwarranted psychological dependency on such concepts so i can list out to you the need for a God.

(1) Some people lack independent moral basis and so cannot on their make decisions that can be said to be good, so in order to instill or ensure morality or apply the expected ethics of the society a means must be derived.

Some use politics (Law of the state where every action is punished) but another effective way is to use God.
Claim that a God say they should not do this and more effectively attach a punishment and reward scheme to the concept and people will conform to your dictates... so the concept God is important to people who lack independent moral basis.

(2)People need hope out of their circumstances, they need assurance and so tend to for many, be dependent on such psychological tilt to channel the effects of their circumstances. . That's when you hear things like "God will provide"

(3)God is important to make people coincide with your wishes. Go outside and tell anybody to give you money nobody will listen to you, open a synagogue, church or temple and tell people "God says you should bring your money, we all know the result"

Or Allah commands they blow the infidels up, we all know the result of that. So God is important to control the mind of the feeble.

(4)An escape to answer: Most are unable to take on the challenges of striving to ascertain empirically how things are or happened and so they resort to employ a gap filler than can only bury them deeper in their sheepish ignorance. . That's when you get something like "what controls day and night? Ans:" God!!!"....lmao..

There are many importance attached to the concepts of a God that it's almost sad getting people to achieve the dependency it takes to untangle oneself from such psychological dependency

Invention of God both helped and Marred humans... Either way God is an important aspect of the evolution of humanity
[/b]

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 06, 2015
@Keenn

Nobody knows if God exists. NOBODY!

Whether you believe that God exists or whether you don't, is a CHOICE.

What are the advantages? Well, this is very subjective, I guess.

For me, faith is very powerful. It has a psychological impact.
For example, if I believe that I can succeed in doing something, chances are higher that I will. If I believe that I will fail, I will most likely fail because expecting failure will make me so nervous and anxious that I won't be able to perform whatever is necessary with a calm and concentrated spirit.

Faith, not only in the religious or spiritual sense, is important and we all have it.
When you leave your house in the morning, you believe that you will return to it later. If you didn't, you would not leave the house. The belief that something will happen to you, would cripple you. As a matter of fact, there are people who never leave their houses because they suffer from a psychiatric disorder that makes them believe that something will happen to them if they leave their houses.

To conclude, one can say that our belief systems have a great psychological impact and therefore influence our lives, both positively and negatively, depending on what the content of our belief system is.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by Gombs(m): 8:44am On Sep 06, 2015
keenn:

This is not peculiar to christains too.

my point is, gOod and bad befalls on everyone irrespective of faith and belief. The promise of afterlife is still speculative, no one is certain about it.

I'm certain about it... For man is a spirit, and spirits live forever... Depending on how you lived here, everlasting shame or shine as the brightness of the firmament is your choice.
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by keenn: 5:15pm On Sep 12, 2015
Gombs:

I'm certain about it... For man is a spirit, and spirits live forever... Depending on how you lived here, everlasting shame or shine as the brightness of the firmament is your choice.

If the promise of afterlife is a certainty, why would we be arguing ?. No one argues about the rising of the sun tomorrow, and nobody argues about the effect of gravity...these are certainty and there level of occurrence are equanimous. Afterlife doesn't fall in this category!
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by Gombs(m): 5:39pm On Sep 12, 2015
keenn:

If the promise of afterlife is a certainty, why would we be arguing ?. No one argues about the rising of the sun tomorrow, and nobody argues about the effect of gravity...these are certainty and there level of occurrence are equanimous. Afterlife doesn't fall in this category!

That's why it's called AFTER life... Are you so sure of seeing tomorrow's sunlight?

Not to worry, you'd soon know soon enough, whether there is one or not. smiley
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by johnydon22(m): 5:57pm On Sep 12, 2015
[b]Humans are very intriguing creatures.

They have a life they are sure of but they choose to waste it in their pursuit of another they are not sure of only written on the pages of a book written by primitive men that thought sun was inside the earth... disregarding the one they have and the one they are sure is real in a greedy vainful clamor to get another. More like sacrificing Substance while chasing shadows.

They destroy visible nature, they are careless about visible nature, they disregard visible nature and worship invisible Gods. not knowing that they themselves are nature and nature is dependent on self for continuity.

They harm real humans, they discriminate against visible humans, they kill and torture visible humans in a bid to please invisible Gods, not knowing the humans they hate, torture and kill are far more important than invisible unseen and unsure concepts.

They do not know that the humans they kill have more effect on their lives that invisble abstract concepts (Gods) their mind conceive.

I have not seen the most of it yet but humans are really interesting beings.
[/b]

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by TheDauraMallam: 6:25pm On Sep 12, 2015
Gombs:

Here are some benefits.

Psalms 23

Wishful thinking.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by Gombs(m): 6:49pm On Sep 12, 2015
TheDauraMallam:

Wishful thinking.

Thinking wishfully!
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by keenn: 7:58am On Sep 16, 2015
Gombs:

That's why it's called AFTER life... Are you so sure of seeing tomorrow's sunlight?

Not to worry, you'd soon know soon enough, whether there is one or not. smiley

I may die today, tomorrow or when ever, but that doesn't change the certainty of occurrence of sunrise and sunset. This circle has been since time and no sane person argues/doubt about tomorrows sun.

Nigga, u have no inormation and neither can u remember where u were before earth experience, do u know y? Because there was no existence of before-life and likewise no afterlife.
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by Gombs(m): 8:18am On Sep 16, 2015
keenn:

I may die today, tomorrow or when ever, but that doesn't change the certainty of occurrence of sunrise and sunset. This circle has been since time and no sane person argues/doubt about tomorrows sun.

Nigga, u have no inormation and neither can u remember where u were before earth experience, do u know y? Because there was no existence of before-life and likewise no afterlife.

We'd find out soon enough! .. Don't be in a hurry
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by keenn: 8:29am On Sep 16, 2015
Gombs:

My brother, the reason u can't further argue about the sun or gravity is because we know it is a certainty and their Level of occurrence are equanimous but that's not the case of afterlife.

If there is afterlife, of what usefulness is it?
I still don't get, we were made to believe we were in heaven, we came to earth for a test only to end up either in heaven or hell?
Can't believe I believed these things before.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by johnydon22(m): 8:47am On Sep 16, 2015
keenn:

My brother, the reason u can't further argue about the sun or gravity is because we know it is a certainty and their Level of occurrence are equanimous but that's not the case of afterlife.

If there is afterlife, of what usefulness is it?
I still don't get, we were made to believe we were in heaven, we came to earth for a test only to end up either in heaven or hell?
Can't believe I believed these things before.
You were brought to earth without asking to be brought to earth only for it to end you up in a burning furnace. Like WTF brought up this crap

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by johnydon22(m): 8:47am On Sep 16, 2015
Gombs:

Agreed, your beliefs of today is the myth of tomorrow

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by hahn(m): 9:05am On Sep 16, 2015
We need more answers from our theistic friends.

Come and share the benefits, in your life, of your all mighty and powerful god
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by Dekatron(m): 9:13am On Sep 16, 2015
menesheh:

you are a bad man!!

Sarcasm to bad!!

grin grin grin

he shouldnt ask for benefits. God works in mysterious way. He causes earthquake and hurricanes and also cause the plants to grow. Lol

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by jkbee(m): 2:51pm On Sep 16, 2015
GOD IS EVERYTHING
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by johnydon22(m): 3:11pm On Sep 16, 2015
jkbee:
GOD IS EVERYTHING
This is a pantheistic notion
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by teadrake(m): 10:22pm On Oct 03, 2015
keenn:

Am a debutant on this platform(This section to be precise).Undoubtedly,you earlier raised some undisputable points,But still,you'll agree with me that virtually all the aforementioned calamities you mentioned (Earthquake, inborn error etc)are the consequences of man actions?
Perhaps, I should draw you back a little.
Am sure you're aware of the Industrial Revolution that dated back to 19th century?Something that contributed to the extinction of some keystone species and wild life.As a medical doctor,I don't need to lay out the consequences of such scenario to you.
Electronic materials that is dumped in a sea, full of marine organisms, broken down as a result of Anaerobic respiration resulted into methyl Mercury and lather consumed by small fishes,subsequently,cannibalism do occur in marine environment (Fishes consumes fry(small fishes),And effect of that compound(Methyl mercury)are often neurological.
During the process of human consumption of these fishes,they develop some health related issues.How is God at fault here bro?
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by frank317: 7:01am On Oct 04, 2015
teadrake:

Am a debutant on this platform(This section to be precise).Undoubtedly,you earlier raised some undisputable points,But still,you'll agree with me that virtually all the aforementioned calamities you mentioned (Earthquake, inborn error etc)are the consequences of man actions?
Perhaps, I should draw you back a little.
Am sure you're aware of the Industrial Revolution that dated back to 19th century?Something that contributed to the extinction of some keystone species and wild life.As a medical doctor,I don't need to lay out the consequences of such scenario to you.
Electronic materials that is dumped in a sea, full of marine organisms, broken down as a result of Anaerobic respiration resulted into methyl Mercury and lather consumed by small fishes,subsequently,cannibalism do occur in marine environment (Fishes consumes fry(small fishes),And effect of that compound(Methyl mercury)are often neurological.
During the process of human consumption of these fishes,they develop some health related issues.How is God at fault here bro?

So if all the earth calamities is as a result of man's action. Why wouldn't all the positive and favourable things we witness on earth be as a result of man's action?

Look at it critically, it is you that blame God for the things that happen on earth since u accept he is the one who created the devil that is messing up the earth.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by teadrake(m): 8:23am On Oct 04, 2015
frank317:

So if all the earth calamities is as a result of man's action. Why wouldn't all the positive and favourable things we witness on earth be as a result of man's action?

Look at it critically, it is you that blame God for the things that happen on earth since u accept he is the one who created the devil that is messing up the earth.
Not fair accompli.
But still,there are certain things that is beyond human comprehension(Won't cite Reference now).Am just glad you're not an atheist yet.
Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by freecocoa(f): 8:26am On Oct 04, 2015
God is dead, there's nothing to benefit from a rotten corpse.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Importance Of God? by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 04, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]Humans are very intriguing creatures.

They have a life they are sure of but they choose to waste it in their pursuit of another they are not sure of only written on the pages of a book written by primitive men that thought sun was inside the earth... disregarding the one they have and the one they are sure is real in a greedy vainful clamor to get another. More like sacrificing Substance while chasing shadows.

They destroy visible nature, they are careless about visible nature, they disregard visible nature and worship invisible Gods. not knowing that they themselves are nature and nature is dependent on self for continuity.

They harm real humans, they discriminate against visible humans, they kill and torture visible humans in a bid to please invisible Gods, not knowing the humans they hate, torture and kill are far more important than invisible unseen and unsure concepts.

They do not know that the humans they kill have more effect on their lives that invisble abstract concepts (Gods) their mind conceive.

I have not seen the most of it yet but humans are really interesting beings.
[/b]

Until we discover who we are, the enlightened will always be tempted use the gullible feeble zombies as tools to achieve their selfish desires....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why I Think God Does Not Exist-from A Christian / My Favorite Parts Of Za Bible / Why Did God Allow My Mother To Die So Young

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.