Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,028 members, 7,821,566 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Who Is An Illiterate? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Is An Illiterate? (809 Views)

10 Signs You Only Went To School But An Illiterate / 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO / This "Illiterate" Got Only The Spelling Of His Name Right (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Who Is An Illiterate? by chrishenzo: 5:30am On Apr 05, 2009
I have always been baffled by this question

Why do we call someone who doesn't know how to speak English an illiterate(despite he/she having a great knowledge in order areas of life) but most of us do not know how to speak our own language?

I have experienced many occasions whereby the governors, presidents, MCs, Presenters, etc, made a mistake in their speech and some group of friends/people started laughing and calling names.

My questions is this:- Who is an illiterate; A person who knows how to speak his language well and still able to communicate in a foreign language( though not fluently) or a person who doesn't know his language?

If speaking English means literacy, what happens to a country like Togo, China, etc( where English is not their official or main language). Does it mean that they are all illiterates?

What do you understand by the word ILLITERATE?
Re: Who Is An Illiterate? by apostleb: 5:39am On Apr 05, 2009
Wel i think 1 who has no brain grin
Re: Who Is An Illiterate? by donjon: 11:53pm On Apr 05, 2009
Sme1 who is unable to understand the concept of humanity & humans, in other words, a bigot

(1) (Reply)

Unad Pre-degree Info ! / When Will New Ume Jamb Registration Commence & Any Idea Of The Card Price / Unn Matric Potsponed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.