Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

Who Are The Edo People? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are The Edo People? (28856 Views)

Kindness Okpe, 22-Year-Old SSA To Obaseki, The Edo State Governor (Photos) / Ize-Iyamu's Message To Edo Residents After The Edo Election (pic, Video) / PDP Posts Video Ridiculing Oshiomhole/APC, Edo People React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by toludadon(m): 7:37am On Sep 09, 2015
wytecat:
Foolish WANNABE Yoruba, what were you taught in Yoruba class? I knew answering your questions won't stop you from asking the same question tomorrow. These are questions that have been answered over and over again here on nairaland. I know you feel inferior by Yoruba but, that won't make me let your lies go unchecked.

This modern day Benin people have nothing to do with the Yoruba, they are more of ibos with the exception of Akoko Edo and a few others like them. The old Bini(Itsekiri and Olukunmi) were the descendants of Yoruba.

People always hold on to part of their history, "Benin has Yoruba language in core areas like during worship of the gods, you can't consult Ifa without using Yoruba. You bear Yoruba names. What more do you need to know that Yoruba was above you and still is?

1.Oduduwa was from one of the hamlets in Ile Ife with origin in the middle east.
2.And yes he met people there, he couldn't have been installed by lizards and mosquitos.
3. Oracles were always consulted before kings are made, and they follow.

You guys are just afraid of being called second class Yoruba, that's all.

INFERIORITY COMPLEX IS INDEED A TERRIBLE THING!

I presume you are the stupid one here, you called a true son of Ile oluyole a Yoruba wannabe? The point is that Oduduwa didn't come from the Middle East, he was the son of the last ogiso of Benin that was supposed to be killed on the order of the Ogiso due to the influence of one of his wives who accused him of bewitching his father's wives and preventing all of them from giving birth to a male child. Those were supposed to execute him saw his innocence, hence they told him to flee and he moved in a direction that was East of Ile Ife, with stopover at places like Owo, he had to move farther because he realized that Owo was still part of Benin Kingdom and he could easily be found out.. He moved to Ile Ife and met Yoruba speaking people there who he told that he was from heaven, an attribute of the Ogiso, who believe that a king is born not elected as it is still practiced today in Benin Kingdom that a successor to the throne is named at his birth. He was made king in Ile Ife as the first Ooni after which he gave birth to many children including Oranmiyan. When his father died in Benin , they appointed an administrator who looked over the kingdom but made attempt to make his son his successor, it was at that point that the people of Benin revolted against him and made him know that the son of the late Ogiso was still alive as against the earlier believe of having being killed, hence they sent a delegation to Ile Ife to go and fetch Oduduwa who refused to follow them and instead told them that he had found a home in Ile Ife. When they realized it would be impossible to get him to yield to their demand, they asked for one his sons to follow them, which he obliged by sending Oranmiyan to follow them, that is what was erroneously recorded as Yoruba people sent a king to Benin , the said king was a descendant of Oduduwa who qualifies to be called a Benin royal blood through the outcast Oduduwa.. When Oranmiyan got to Benin he faced stiff opposition with the son of the administrator that wanted to also rule, he was ruling over Benin at that time and got married to a Benin woman who gave birth to a son named Iweka, Oranmiyan brought yoruba language to Benin and they began calling their kings as Oba instead of Ogiso they were used to, when the opposition became so much, he left Benin Kingdom in annoyance and called the land Ile Ibinu which later metamorphosed to Benin.. His son Iweka became the first Oba of Benin.. Oranmiyan left for Oyo to become the first Alaafin,.
If Oduduwa came from Mecca, how come it was not documented in any Arabian history?
Move beyond grandstanding and find out the truth about how yorubas came to be..
Our historians should take a position to decide whether yoruba people descended from Oduduwa or there were already Yoruba people that Oduduwa met at Ile Ife.
Like I told you, omo Ibadan nile oluyole, ilu ogunmola, ilu ibikunle, ti n je igbin jekarahun , Ibadan maja maja ti won fi n ko ara iwaju lejo

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by AdiscoPele: 8:31am On Sep 09, 2015
toludadon:

I presume you are the stupid one here, you called a true son of Ile oluyole a Yoruba wannabe? The point is that Oduduwa didn't come from the Middle East, he was the son of the last ogiso of Benin that was supposed to be killed on the order of the Ogiso due to the influence of one of his wives who accused him of bewitching his father's wives and preventing all of them from giving birth to a male child. Those were supposed to execute him saw his innocence, hence they told him to flee and he moved in a direction that was East of Ile Ife, with stopover at places like Owo, he had to move farther because he realized that Owo was still part of Benin Kingdom and he could easily be found out.. He moved to Ile Ife and met Yoruba speaking people there who he told that he was from heaven, an attribute of the Ogiso, who believe that a king is born not elected as it is still practiced today in Benin Kingdom that a successor to the throne is named at his birth. He was made king in Ile Ife as the first Ooni after which he gave birth to many children including Oranmiyan. When his father died in Benin , they appointed an administrator who looked over the kingdom but made attempt to make his son his successor, it was at that point that the people of Benin revolted against him and made him know that the son of the late Ogiso was still alive as against the earlier believe of having being killed, hence they sent a delegation to Ile Ife to go and fetch Oduduwa who refused to follow them and instead told them that he had found a home in Ile Ife. When they realized it would be impossible to get him to yield to their demand, they asked for one his sons to follow them, which he obliged by sending Oranmiyan to follow them, that is what was erroneously recorded as Yoruba people sent a king to Benin , the said king was a descendant of Oduduwa who qualifies to be called a Benin royal blood through the outcast Oduduwa.. When Oranmiyan got to Benin he faced stiff opposition with the son of the administrator that wanted to also rule, he was ruling over Benin at that time and got married to a Benin woman who gave birth to a son named Iweka, Oranmiyan brought yoruba language to Benin and they began calling their kings as Oba instead of Ogiso they were used to, when the opposition became so much, he left Benin Kingdom in annoyance and called the land Ile Ibinu which later metamorphosed to Benin.. His son Iweka became the first Oba of Benin.. Oranmiyan left for Oyo to become the first Alaafin,.
If Oduduwa came from Mecca, how come it was not documented in any Arabian history?
Our historians should take a position to decide whether yoruba people descended from Oduduwa or there were already Yoruba people that Oduduwa met at Ile Ife.
Like I told you, omo Ibadan nile oluyole, ilu ogunmola, ilu ibikunle, ti n je igbin jekarahun , Ibadan maja maja ti won fi n ko ara iwaju lejo
I think it's either your teachers are not knowledgeable or they are part of those that could not read like we saw in Benin-city during the verification by Gov Adams Oshiomole.
This is because, from history, it's known that Oduduwa beats just one son, whose name is OKANBI. It's OKANBI who gave births to seven (7) children which includes ONIPOPO, ONISABE, ALAAFIN ti OYO, ONIBINI ti BINI, OROGUN ti ILA, ALAKETU and the last born ORANMIYAN.
If you must know, ONIPOPO of POP KINGDOM and ONISABE of SAVE Kingdom are in far away Benin Republic and Togo, thanks to the division of Africa at the Berlin Conference in 1898. This children(grand children of ODUDUWA) of OKANBI, even though are now in French speaking territories still speak Yoruba as their language, and still acknowledge where they come from and pay homage, and they have never tried to distort history and are still proud Yorubas.
Alaafin of Oyo and Orangun of Ilaa are prominent Oba in Nigeria and Yoruba land today and are there to put the records straight.
Now for your information, we were taught that when ODUDUWA was coming from the east, he had a stopover at GOBIR. GOBIR is a town in the north and it can be verified.
Yes, when ODUDUWA got to ILE-IFE, he met people there, and he wasn't made the king immediately he got there, he was made king after a series of events.
Now, from what you were taught, we you told that that son of Ogiso sojourned north?
Owo, Akure, Ibadan, Abeokuta, Ijebu etc are all settlements in Yoruba land that came after most of this grandsons of ODUDUWA have established their kingdoms. So please, don't distort history.

4 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Ayus34(m): 9:44am On Sep 09, 2015
Jesusloveyou:
u are right, but don't u think d op is more right? D op said some part in ondo and ekiti, not d whole of yoruba race, d same goes to ibos, just onitsha,not d whole of igbo race, and some part of ijaw in ogba, u better get d message, is not about race supremacy
please what part of ondo is he claiming, I think that guy is so sick upstair....I came from owo in ondo state,one of the closest town to Benin and we were never part of his imaginary kingdom and despite the fact that we share some cultural things together like the way the both king dress and the usage of beads and the likes which was due to the oba of owo that got married to Benin woman and so other cultural exchange like that,which I will not want to go into because of my time and d stress in typing.. let him quote the particular year those kingdom especially that of ondo was part of his so called empire.
infact is it not insanity that will make someone from a tribe which is not even one if the top four populated tribe in nigeria to claim superiority to one of the most populated tribe in Africa if not the world?if ur forefathers lied to you,I believe with proper education and fact finding information at ur disposal in this 21st century,u don't need to deceive urself... use simple logic and be logical with your reason coz nobody will charge you for that!!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 10:23am On Sep 09, 2015
Ayus34:

please what part of ondo is he claiming, I think that guy is so sick upstair....I came from owo in ondo state,one of the closest town to Benin and we were never part of his imaginary kingdom and despite the fact that we share some cultural things together like the way the both king dress and the usage of beads and the likes which was due to the oba of owo that got married to Benin woman and so other cultural exchange like that,which I will not want to go into because of my time and d stress in typing.. let him quote the particular year those kingdom especially that of ondo was part of his so called empire.
infact is it not insanity that will make someone from a tribe which is not even one if the top four populated tribe in nigeria to claim superiority to one of the most populated tribe in Africa if not the world?if ur forefathers lied to you,I believe with proper education and fact finding information at ur disposal in this 21st century,u don't need to deceive urself... use simple logic and be logical with your reason coz nobody will charge you for that!!!!
Edos never claimed that they conquered Ilesha or Ogbomosho . They however held sway over parts of present day Yorubaland and Igboland. It was not that the Warriors of the Benin Empire were marauding from north to south of the tribal lands of Igbo and Yoruba. Unlike now, if Benin attacked Owo, for example, Ijebu-Ode will not come to their rescue. Same for any Igbo town that Edo warriors fancied.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 10:34am On Sep 09, 2015
Tiny England ruled from sunset to sunrise, igbo and Yoruba dumbos.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 10:37am On Sep 09, 2015
Benin was the only city of note in the forest region in pre-colonial Nigeria. It would have been easy for the Empire to subdue and influence everyone around them.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 11:23am On Sep 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

That is as a result of edo influence ...now go use your tarmac at your kitchen

You know you guys fly and tell all those Benin boys carrying sticks with nails at the bypass to stay clear otherwise I will run em down

IPA laoh

Edo influence? And you won't run anyone down silly Igbo boy. All talk no action.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Ayus34(m): 11:33am On Sep 09, 2015
bokohalal:

Edos never claimed that they conquered Ilesha or Ogbomosho . They however held sway over parts of present day Yorubaland and Igboland. It was not that the Warriors of the Benin Empire were marauding from north to south of the tribal lands of Igbo and Yoruba. Unlike now, if Benin attacked Owo, for example, Ijebu-Ode will not come to their rescue. Same for any Igbo town that Edo warriors fancied.
The op claimed some part of yoruba was under their empire....I need fact to state the time and date!!
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 11:36am On Sep 09, 2015
Ayus34:

The op claimed some part of yoruba was under their empire....I need fact to state the time and date!!
Time and date? Actually, I don't understand your question.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by mafioso2(m): 12:40pm On Sep 09, 2015
The fact that America is not a member of Common Wealth and their influence in the whole world right now, does not mean that there was a time that they were under the British Monarch or the fact that Rome is very small does not mean that they never controlled the British Monarchs for a long time...all these Yorubas and Igbos fighting over nothing i pity you.

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by tonychristopher: 4:01pm On Sep 09, 2015
aim5:

Just like you Igbos have mastered the international drug trade. And I've heard that your so called expensive and classy Igbo girls dominate a lot of brothels in Nigeria, so don't spew rubbish you punk.

Are u sure
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 09, 2015
tonychristopher:

Are u sure

Very sure.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by tonychristopher: 4:09pm On Sep 09, 2015
aim5:

Very sure.

Clap for yourself

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 2:11am On Sep 10, 2015
Two seconds glimpse is all your trash you typed below truly deserve and that's exactly what you got.

Bastardd, your type are all over SW lost and confused, completely wishing to forget your hometowns where you are from. You speak Yoruba pass the natives and bear Yoruba name, and even pretend to be Yoruba in most cases. My Etsako friend even write Yoruba while I can't, I've seen an ibo write Yoruba, so it's not new, find something else. Anyone can lift up a popular saying in Jamaica and use it but, it doesn't prove anything.

You will continue to live under Yoruba's shadow as it has always been, so don't think that now that we have opened your eyes, you can tell the history your forefathers dare not tell, you will only be disgraced, cos I can't even see you, your tribe's stand is miniscule and ain't worth a thing.

Hehehe! This is life, you people that were once like goats have something to say today.

I Guess you should go on an expedition to find your own Oduduwa cos the one that ruled in Ile ife had origin that had nothing, I mean absolutely NOTHING to do with "Benin" or wherever the blue hell that is.

Our Oduduwa's father is LAMURUDU.
toludadon:

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 3:08am On Sep 10, 2015
At least Americans speak English, and testify to their independence from Britain, note that the fact that they speak English and English names alone point to Yoruba also as Benin's head, just as "Benin" must use Yoruba words to worship the Orisha.

mafioso2:
The fact that America is not a member of Common Wealth and their influence in the whole world right now, does not mean that there was a time that they were under the British Monarch or the fact that Rome is very small does not mean that they never controlled the British Monarchs for a long time...all these Yorubas and Igbos fighting over nothing i pity you.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 6:52pm On Sep 10, 2015
wytecat:
Two seconds glimpse is all your trash you typed below truly deserve and that's exactly what you got.

Bastardd, your type are all over SW lost and confused, completely wishing to forget your hometowns where you are from. You speak Yoruba pass the natives and bear Yoruba name, and even pretend to be Yoruba in most cases. My Etsako friend even write Yoruba while I can't, I've seen an ibo write Yoruba, so it's not new, find something else. Anyone can lift up a popular saying in Jamaica and use it but, it doesn't prove anything.

You will continue to live under Yoruba's shadow as it has always been, so don't think that now that we have opened your eyes, you can tell the history your forefathers dare not tell, you will only be disgraced, cos I can't even see you, your tribe's stand is miniscule and ain't worth a thing.

Hehehe! This is life, you people that were once like goats have something to say today.

I Guess you should go on an expedition to find your own Oduduwa cos the one that ruled in Ile ife had origin that had nothing, I mean absolutely NOTHING to do with "Benin" or wherever the blue hell that is.

Our Oduduwa's father is LAMURUDU.

grin grin too much hatred in this post oga mi.

True Oduduwa has nothing to do with Bini but he has even less than nothing to do with Lamurudu

That was a muslim lie constructed in the 19th century
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 6:54pm On Sep 10, 2015
bokohalal:
Benin was the only city of note in the forest region in pre-colonial Nigeria. It would have been easy for the Empire to subdue and influence everyone around them.

Ahan. Ibadan, Lagos nko?
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 7:00pm On Sep 10, 2015
macof:

Ahan. Ibadan, Lagos nko?
The period we are talking about there was no Ibadan and Lagos was a fishing village.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 7:01pm On Sep 10, 2015
Well I blame Nigerian Educational system for the gross ignorance

Yoruba and Edo are brothers no need for this nonsense.

The many misinformation here sef is sickening
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 7:20pm On Sep 10, 2015
You must have skipped the rest of the thread if this is the most hate filled comment. No worse hate comment than the one that tries to rewrite history of a great heritage.

Lamurudu history is our history and it's real and we are proud if it. If you have your own theory, go ahead and type it here.

macof:

grin grin too much hatred in this post oga mi.

True Oduduwa has nothing to do with Bini but he has even less than nothing to do with Lamurudu

That was a muslim lie constructed in the 19th century
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 7:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
bokohalal:

The period we are talking about there was no Ibadan and Lagos was a fishing village.

No Ibadan? shocked sir go and find out more about Ilu Eba Odan
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by macof(m): 7:38pm On Sep 10, 2015
wytecat:
You must have skipped the rest of the thread if this is the most hate filled comment. No worse hate comment than the one that tries to rewrite history of a great heritage.

Lamurudu history is our history and it's real and we are proud if it. If you have your own theory, go ahead and type it here.

Our history? OK what is the meaning of Lamurudu? Where was he buried? What's his oriki?

How come no traditional institution in Yorubaland talks of Lamurudu?

Well, all I can say is Oduduwa was an Ife man until proven otherwise, his tomb is in Ife, he didn't look outside Ife for authority. .. absolutely nothing in common with arabs

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 10, 2015
u yorubas can keep them.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Edo People? by bokohalal(m): 8:06pm On Sep 10, 2015
macof:

No Ibadan? shocked sir go and find out more about Ilu Eba Odan
Go find out when and how Ibadan came about.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by wytecat: 8:40pm On Sep 10, 2015
Are you hearing of Lamurudu for the first time? If no traditional institution talk about, did you then learn about him from Arab's history?

Lamurudu = Nimrod
Why would a muslim scholar write about them passing through Gobir if it didn't happen? Some Ijebus were the last to come after oduduwa, and came straight to our present abode, and that's what Awujale meant that some didn't go through Ile Ife.

True, Oduduwa didn't look anywhere for authority, but that doesn't mean that he didn't communicate with his root, reason Yoruba who migrated at different times still found each other in the new world. And my oriki has both Ife and middle east "omo Ife owodaye" in it.

Have the tomb of Moses or other great prophets been found?

macof:

Our history? OK what is the meaning of Lamurudu? Where was he buried? What's his oriki?

How come no traditional institution in Yorubaland talks of Lamurudu?

Well, all I can say is Oduduwa was an Ife man until proven otherwise, his tomb is in Ife, he didn't look outside Ife for authority. .. absolutely nothing in common with arabs
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 10, 2015
lygn19:
u yorubas can keep them.

You ignorant fool. Edo is its own entity. God, why are you guys hellbent on claiming everything? Just shut up and face your own life.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 10, 2015
aim5:

You ignorant fool. Edo is its own entity. God, why are you guys hellbent on claiming everything? Just shut up and face your own life.
I spit on ur comment, witchcraft is not in my blood I better claim Niger republic than Edo state.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 10, 2015
lygn19:

I spit on ur comment, witchcraft is not in my blood I better claim Niger republic than Edo state.

Haha whatever.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 10, 2015
aim5:

Haha whatever.
it hurts to be cursed.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 9:31pm On Sep 10, 2015
lygn19:

it hurts to be cursed.

Nah I'm not cursed tho.. life is good to me now. Maybe you're cursed.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 10, 2015
aim5:

Nah I'm not cursed tho.. life is good to me now. Maybe you're cursed.
do I look like am from Edo state?
go and play with ur fellow cursed people.
Re: Who Are The Edo People? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Sep 10, 2015
lygn19:

do I look like am from Edo state?
go and play with ur fellow cursed people.

Foolish rat like you... abeg go sit down.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

EFCC To Arrest Ex INEC Chairman Over Oil Baron Bribe / #TakeItBack Movement: Omoyele Sowore Campaigns In Kano (Pictures) / Atiku Abubakar And Saraki Speak After Casting Their Votes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.