Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,847 members, 7,862,772 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 05:52 AM

Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari (28410 Views)

Recession: 3 Nigerian National Assets Buhari Must Not Sell- RMAFC / Stolen Assets: Buhari Makes U-turn, Says Information Ministry “ll Publish Names / Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 08, 2015
Captainswag225:
maybe i was searching for ur comment. U have gradually become an apc member now. Buhari has cast a spell on y'all. Lol
lolz not at all,I'm just saying wat is ought to be said,fact I'm not an apc supporter,Good morning...
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by 989900: 8:43am On Sep 08, 2015
Mynd44:

They all declare but not publicly. He cant make governors declare their assets publicly. It is a personal choice

Even privately, before and after, is enough to reduce the unchecked massive pilferage that presently prospers.
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Nobody: 8:45am On Sep 08, 2015
Are you always short of time to do other things or prefer exclusive service?

Cut short the time,distance and stress it takes to take good care of your health and improving on your productivity whilst saving a huge lump sum of money. We offer service plans that suit every different health and wellbeing needs for as low as twenty thousand naira per month packages. 24/7 access to a doctor or nurse for your health checkups and queries, physical and massage therapist for your body aches and pains, a trained carer or domestic aide to take good care of your invalids and house chores while you are busy with work, a personal trainer to keep you toned, pretty and optimally-performing while keeping security and confidentiality our top priority...all in a comprehensive health package like you have never seen before.
All you need to do is just call...
Healthcare finally at your doorstep!

Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Mynd44: 8:45am On Sep 08, 2015
989900:

Even privately, before and after, is enough to reduce the unchecked pilferation that presently prospers.
Everyone declares and hides part of the money. They use proxies and stuff like that to buy properties and open accounts
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Captainswag225(m): 8:45am On Sep 08, 2015
onomeglo:
lolz not at all,I'm just saying wat is ought to be said,fact I'm not an apc supporter,Good morning...
gudmorning!!! Buhari is rich man oo! He lied to nigerians abt being poor
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Gbawe: 8:48am On Sep 08, 2015
CSTR2:
Of course, i know that.
Ideally declaring before and after is the correct thing to do.
But since Nigerian politicians only declare once, then i choose the better option.
Under the current system, a politician can declare 2million, and embezzle 2billion and nobody will know.

Nigerians should insist leaders declare their asset after leaving office as you state here. One thing bad about Nigeria/Nigerians is that we leave the onus of good governance entirely on leaders without realising our civic duty as the voting electorate in a democracy. After office, no leader, even the entirely honest ones, will make any asset declaration if this is not made made mandatory and if the public does not insist they must see this. Buhari has done the right thing. Let Nigerians too focus on doing the right things that deepen our democracy. Nigerians must learn to hold leaders accountable as others do in the best democracies worldwide. We all have a role to play in the chain of good governance.

2 Likes

Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Happiness87(f): 8:50am On Sep 08, 2015
hahahhahahahaaa, so that is the plan, he does his investments with his wife's name hahahahhahahah scammers
Gbawe:

you guys are unbelievable and you lend credence to the claim that Nigerians are some of the most difficult people in the world to deal with. Buhari declared his asset with the appropriate authority yet you claimed you wanted this made public even as some of us told you his asset will be verified and then made public. Now that the net worth of Buhari has been made public you move on to call it "partial asset declaration" and you are now insinuating, without any tangible evidence whatsoever and as gossipers will do, that "most of his assets are presumed to be in his wife's name".

I hope you understand that the first Lady is not a public official. She is entitled to full privacy and a sensible, fair-minded and politically sophisticated person will appreciate this. In sophisticated climes the public tend to leave the spouse of public officials alone especially when said spouse is well-behaved, keeps a low profile and is not controversial. Our first lady is doing this so far.I think everyone here knows you are biased against Buhari but you must give him credit when he does the right things, as some of us did with Jonathan even if we did not approve of him as a leader, instead of trying to look for new and insignificant ways to fault everything he does. Immediately moving focus to the first lady, after Buhari's asset is made public as you and others vehemently demanded, just shows that you are not genuinely interested in the reformation of Nigeria. You just want to find dishonest, ungracious and petty ways to criticize everything the government does whether good or bad.
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by CSTR2: 8:51am On Sep 08, 2015
Gbawe:

Nigerians should insist leaders declare their asset after leaving office as you state here. One thing bad about Nigeria/Nigerians is that we leave the onus of good governance entirely on leaders without realising our civic duty as the voting electorate in a democracy. After office, no leader, even the entirely honest ones, will make any asset declaration if this is not made made mandatory and if the public does not insist they must see this. Buhari has done the right thing. Let Nigerians too focus on doing the right things that deepen our democracy. Nigerians must learn to hold leaders accountable as others do in the best democracies worldwide. We all have a role to play in the chain of good governance.
Fair enough.
I am sure if we demand buhari declare his assets after leaving office, his fans will call it wailing.
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by 989900: 8:52am On Sep 08, 2015
Mynd44:

Everyone declares and hides part of the money. They use proxies and stuff like that to buy properties and open accounts

So would you rather profer we totally abandon asset declaration? Throw checks and balances to the wind?
It won't stop stealing/corruption, but it will go a long way to reduce it, it is far better than no checks, especially when it is done before and after.

BTW, using proxies is not that an easy thing as it is being portrayed. It has actually been a banana peel for some, and law enforcement ain't that st00pid like they pretend to be . . . when they really want to do their jobs.
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by MadCow1: 8:52am On Sep 08, 2015
asha80:
I dont think it is constitutionally compulsory

5th Schedule, part 1 of the 2010 Constitution (as amended) requires them to do so.
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by MadCow1: 8:53am On Sep 08, 2015
Mynd44:

They all declare but not publicly. He cant make governors declare their assets publicly. It is a personal choice

The Freedom of Information law also allows the public to get access to those information so why exactly are they hiding it?
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 08, 2015
Captainswag225:
gudmorning!!! Buhari is rich man oo! He lied to nigerians abt being poor
hmmmm,that's Nigeria polithiefician for ya,they are not all loyal,including our saint buhari,only God is perfect anyways and they must be exposed in due time
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Mynd44: 8:54am On Sep 08, 2015
989900:

So would you rather profer we totally abandon asset declaration? Throw checks and balances to the wind?
It won't stop stealing/corruption, but it will go a long way to reduce it, it is far better than no checks, especially when it is done before and after.

BTW, using proxies is not that an easy thing as it is being portrayed. It has actually been a banana peel for some, and law enforcement ain't that st00pid like they pretend to be . . . when they really want to do their jobs.
Where did I write that we should not encourage asset declaration? I only said that the media did not report exactly what the president said as the word "Must" made it seem like he intends to force them when he can't.

He only said it was important. Big difference

1 Like

Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Captainswag225(m): 8:57am On Sep 08, 2015
onomeglo:
hmmmm,that's Nigeria polithiefician for ya,they are not all loyal,including our saint buhari,only God is perfect anyways and they must be exposed in due time
hahahaha
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Rotimi47: 8:59am On Sep 08, 2015
Dharniel:
waiting to see that loud mouth, fayose's asset...
Fear go fear fesr if fayose mistakingly declare his true assets.

1 Like

Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by CUM4WHAT(m): 9:00am On Sep 08, 2015
onomeglo:
are u talkn bout 9ja gyals
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by 989900: 9:00am On Sep 08, 2015
Mynd44:

Where did I write that we should not encourage asset declaration? I only said that the media did not report exactly what the president said as the word "Must" made it seem like he intends to force them when he can't.

He only said it was important. Big difference

Oh, I get your drift now.
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Reasonwithme: 9:01am On Sep 08, 2015
The common man should know that a simple step such as declaration of ones assets by all public officers is a step towards a greater Nigeria.

There is no law enforcing this action but it shows one is here to serve and not to reap from "investment". Take a sec and imagine a country where all senior public officials declare their assets before and after service.

Tell me this will not translate to a better situation than current status.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by damyzino(m): 9:02am On Sep 08, 2015
glassjar1:
THIS MAN WILL END UP LIKE YARADUA cheesy

i dont even think you are nigerian
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by KanwuliaJara: 9:02am On Sep 08, 2015
From WILL to MUST in 100 days!!!!

See PROGRESS!!!! grin
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Mynd44: 9:02am On Sep 08, 2015
MadCow1:

The Freedom of Information law also allows the public to get access to those information so why exactly are they hiding it?

I doubt the FOI covers CCB forms. Those are considered personal information of these officials.
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by 989900: 9:02am On Sep 08, 2015
CSTR2:
Fair enough.
I am sure if we demand buhari declare his assets after leaving office, his fans will call it wailing.

No, he has to.
It's almost useless if you don't do the 'after'.
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Nobody: 9:03am On Sep 08, 2015
CUM4WHAT:
are u talkn bout 9ja gyals
nah,I'm talking abt 9ja men undecided,they ain't loyal
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Gbawe: 9:04am On Sep 08, 2015
CSTR2:
Fair enough.

I personally feel Mr.President will comply and fans of Buhari who are passionate about good governance should have no issues with the demand he declares his assets after leaving office. I believe he is not corrupt and is not seeking to enrich himself. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying Buhari is without fault and I appreciate that Nigerians must always criticise him constructively, because no leader should be allowed to be complacent, yet I feel corrupt personal enrichment is something Nigerians will not have to worry about with Buhari.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by tola268: 9:05am On Sep 08, 2015
Firefire:
President Muhammadu Buhari has said that governors, ministers and top civil servants must declare their assets

Buhari said the imperative for elected public officials and top civil servants in the category of permanent secretaries was a constitutional obligation. .

The president, who had last week made public his assets, threw the challenge in Accra, Ghana, yesterday where he had gone on a one-day working visit to President John Dramani Mahama.

The Nigerian leader was responding to a question from the Ghanaian press during a joint press conference with Mahama after bilateral talks at the Peduase Lodge in Aburi on how he could impress it on other African leaders and public office holders to emulate him by making assets declaration a priority in governance.

Buhari said assets declaration had been engrained in the Nigerian Constitution, saying he had done such four times since 1975 that he had served the country in various capacities.

His words: “I recall that in 1975 when late Murtala Mohammed became the Head of State, we were lined up in the corridor – governors, ministers, members of the Supreme Military Council – and officials of Ministry of Justice were brought and every individual was made to declare his assets.

“So right now, all heads of state and government, governors, ministers, permanent secretaries will have to declare their assets because it is a constitutional requirement.

“In Nigeria, it is a constitutional issue and that is why I am blaming you gentlemen of the press. If you really want to do investigative journalism, you don’t have to worry me at this stage; I have declared my assets four times.

“When I was governor in 1975, I declared. After being Minister of Petroleum and as a member of Supreme Military Council, I declared. When I was Head of State and now as a President, I also declared.

“I have declared my assets and all that I have four times, and you (the media) have the right to go and demand for my declaration. Instead, I am being harassed.”

Buhari also challenged Nigerian journalists to go and look for details of his assets declaration instead of harassing him with further questions.

He said since he had declared his assets four times since 1975 that he had served in different capacities in the country, the journalists could be more investigative in their work if they could fish out the details.

Buhari said journalists who had been heckling him to publish the details of what he recently declared could do better by just using the law to dig up the records of his four separate declarations since 1975.

On security challenges, the president said the military was gaining ground and lot of progress was being made on the fight against Boko Haram to the extent that the terrorists were now isolated in the Sambisa forest, and would be routed very soon.

He said: “The first thing I did after I came into office was to re-organise the military and clear terms were given to them in terms of retraining, re-equipping and redeployment of troops.

“In the north-east, the military is gaining ground and Boko Haram has been severely limited to the Sambisa Forest.

“Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) who moved out because of insurgency are gradually moving back to their constituencies and they are being integrated into their respective communities.”

He further assured the public that he would unveil other members of his cabinet before the end of September this year, failure of which Nigerians could then start to ask him questions.

“After I was sworn-in, I said I would have my cabinet in September and I expect that Nigerians should ask me questions after the 30th of September if I do not do that,” he stressed.

In his remarks, President Mahama commended Buhari’s efforts at galvanising West African nations to support their Lake Chad Basin counterparts to quash Boko Haram through the Multinational Joint Task Force.

He pledged to ensure Ghana plays her part well, including sharing relevant military intelligence with Nigerian authorities.

On the difficulties faced by Nigerians doing business in Ghana, Mahama explained that the law requiring them to pay capital/registration levy of $300,000 would be amended by the Ghanaian parliament as soon as the already approved biometric registration of ECOWAS traders, which begins next year, is completed.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/09/govs-ministers-must-declare-assets-buhari/
Welldone Buari, you are working, don't listen to critics. The Governors and Ministers will declare assets is a right steps at the right time

1 Like

Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by rman: 9:05am On Sep 08, 2015
CSTR2:
Of course, i know that.
Ideally declaring before and after is the correct thing to do.
But since Nigerian politicians only declare once, then i choose the better option.
Under the current system, a politician can declare 2million, and embezzle 2billion and nobody will know.

The people are now aware, I don't think Buhari and his cohorts can escape our prying eyes in 2019..they will be forced to declare twice.

A set has to set the precedence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by MadCow1: 9:07am On Sep 08, 2015
Mynd44:

I doubt the FOI covers CCB forms. Those are considered personal information of these officials.

Erm..

Sorry it does not work that way. The moment you choose to become a Public figure, the number of things you can classify as personal are very limited.

Asset declaration being a legal requirement under the Nigerian Law for public office holders can be subpoenaed and made public especially if there is proof that the declaration contains false information.

The useless part of the FOI bill is that no information is actually free.
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by baralatie(m): 9:07am On Sep 08, 2015
Firefire:
[color=#000099][b]

On the difficulties faced by Nigerians doing business in Ghana, Mahama explained that the law requiring them to pay capital/registration levy of $300,000 would be amended by the Ghanaian parliament as soon as the already approved biometric registration of ECOWAS traders, which begins next year, is completed.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/09/govs-ministers-must-declare-assets-buhari/

***clears throat****
***brings out Casio fx866 calculator ***

($300,000×230)=#69000000

eeeweeee

hian

(sixty nine million naira only to register,excluding rent,salary and capital and community settlement)

BUHARI name your cabinet naaa!

how can I have #69m and take it go Ghana, why
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Jaymaxxy(m): 9:08am On Sep 08, 2015
Mynd44:
Nigerian media ain't shít. When did "Imperative" become "must".

The president cannot make it compulsory for state governors to declare anything. He can only force his ministers and political office holders he employed

It is not PMB forcing them now but it is a matter of necessity as directed by the constitution. Buhari was sworn in to protect the constitution of the nation, so he has the right to make it compulsory for them.
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 08, 2015
Inasmuch as I am in support of public declaration of assets, the president has no powers to compel Governors and Senators to declare their assets!!! Only ministers and other political appointees are the people he can compel to do so
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by solonazzy: 9:09am On Sep 08, 2015
Mynd44:
Nigerian media ain't shít. When did "Imperative" become "must".

The president cannot make it compulsory for state governors to declare anything. He can only force his ministers and political office holders he employed

U c dem?.... Corrupt things... U n ur likes
Re: Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari by Nobody: 9:10am On Sep 08, 2015
Jaymaxxy:

It is not PMB forcing them now but it is a matter of necessity as directed by the constitution. Buhari was sworn in to protect the constitution of the nation, so he has the right to make it compulsory for them.
There is no constitutional provision mandating the Governors to make public declaration of their assets

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Last Photos Of Yakowa & Azazi / 'Peter Obi Is A Tribal Bigot' - El-Rufai / Nneoma Okorocha Donates A Bungalow To A Widow In Owerri Today (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.