Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:13 AM

Question About Bulk Sms: 419 Is Disturbing Me! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Question About Bulk Sms: 419 Is Disturbing Me! (1047 Views)

Question About Vogue Pay / Share Your IT 419 Experinces Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question About Bulk Sms: 419 Is Disturbing Me! by 2busy: 7:50am On Apr 06, 2009
Fellow nairalanders,
Is it possible for someone to use a name that has been used by another person( e.g Remlek)
or organisation (e.g Glo, 0803,) to send bulk sms?
I'll be glad if i can get answer to this question.
This is because a 419 sent an sms to me with O8O3 claiming it's from mtn!
Thank God i was smart enough to realise that O8O3 is different from 0803.
But I still need to know whether it's possible for another 419 to use 0803 or Glo etc?
Re: Question About Bulk Sms: 419 Is Disturbing Me! by 2busy: 9:43am On Apr 06, 2009
His message read" CONGRATULATION! YOUR MOBILE NUMBER HAVE WON N500000 IN THE ON-GOING EASTER PROMO,
ACTIVATING NUMBER (1535).FOR CLAIMS CALL 180 OR 07062268176"

But I think there should be a kind of security on this kind of system, such that when someone used a particular name,
no other person can use the same sender name.
That means 419 can also send sms using banks names like GTbank, PHB FBN etc.

We have to shine our eyes well well in this country, sleep with 1 eye open wink
Re: Question About Bulk Sms: 419 Is Disturbing Me! by naijafan(m): 5:26pm On Apr 06, 2009
nothing can be done about SMS messages and sender IDs, its how the system was built. its like saying no one should be able to purchase the guarantytrustbank.com domain name cos a bank exists in that name already.

i believe security is in the hands of the end user. when you receive a message like that, its best to call customer care to ask about it, or simply ignore it. nobody just includes your name in a promo you never registered for.
Re: Question About Bulk Sms: 419 Is Disturbing Me! by Tonyet1(m): 10:01am On Apr 15, 2009
The Big question now is:

is it not the same network providers that provide this fake customised SMS for this thieves

cant the network providers create a security system to QUERY out all customised SMS and trace out their sources

well:

there is a saying that "na inside rat dey show outside rats wer meat dey for house"
Re: Question About Bulk Sms: 419 Is Disturbing Me! by s4: 1:55pm On Apr 18, 2009
The way it operates is different, There are quite a number of SMS Gateways, because of this it could be difficult to trace duplicate names.

(1) (Reply)

Useless Thread: Don't Open / How To Receive Payment On Your Websites, Apps From All Over The World / Which Of These Should I Learn: Java(android Development) Or Php(web Development)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.