Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,892 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It (868 Views)

10 Tips For Protecting Your Debit Card From Fraud / 7 Things You Should Learn To Do Before You Start An Online Home Based Business / Could You Start Up An Online Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It by stanodi: 7:43pm On Sep 08, 2015

The conditions are never going to be conducive enough to venture out. There are no perfect platforms. There is never going to be a perfect time. The universe will not wait until you are ready, it simply moves on. You need to venture out despite the uncertainty surrounding you and your idea.
In writing this article I stumbled on a song coincidentally titled “What are you waiting for” by Nickelback? The lyrics so were so in line with what I am trying to communicate here. I have since downloaded the song and it has found its way into my favorite playlist.
Here is my favorite part of the song
You gotta go and reach for the top
Believe in every dream that you got
You only living one so tell me?
What are you, what are you waiting for?
You know you gotta give it your all
And don’t you be afraid if you fall
You only living one so tell me?
What are you, what are you waiting for?

Starting a business or any new venture for that matter is really tough, please run from people who tell you otherwise. It goes beyond wishful thinking; it takes risks and sacrifice. Risk of losing everything; it can be that bad sometimes. Working round the clock. etc. But its worth it! So what are you waiting for?

Here are ten tips to help you get in and soldier on.

1. What would you do if you wouldn’t fail? Right off the bat, what is the one thing that you would do if you were insulated from failing? Go ahead and do it. Another way of looking at it is what you would do today if you have got six months to live. You need to have that sense of urgency.
2. Don’t be scared of failure; every businessman or woman, company or economy constantly face the risk of failing. Though it will be unfair to equate the level of risk of failure an established company or business faces to that of a start-up nevertheless it is a constant. It’s like riding a bicycle; you face a greater risk of falling when you are just learning than when you are proficient. Each fall brings you closer to being proficient. So is failure in business and in life. Each time you fail brings you closer to discovering not just how to do things better but also discovering who you truly are.
3. You can always start small; I always preach starting small. Taking things easy on yourself. Not expecting too much.
4. Develop a tough skin to the shame of being called a failure, Here is one of my favorite quotes from Game of thrones and yes am a fan of the series!; “Once you’ve accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.” ― George R.R. Martin. Gbam!Well said. What are you waiting for. Tyrion Lannister has spoken!
5. Stop listening to naysayers; stay far away from people who only preach negativity. Just because no one has done it before you doesn’t mean you cant.
6. Start following people who are into similar things; Instead of being with naysayers, make friends with people who share your views or who spur you on.
7. You can always do anything… sometimes by paying others to do it for you. Never miss an opportunity because you can’t do it. When someone asks if you can do something, answer in the affirmative, you could always go back to learn that skill or outsource it to someone who knows how to do it. Be smart
8. What would you tell your children if they asked you why u didn’t pursue your dreams? Or how can you guide them when they are faced with similar situations if you don’t have first hand experience?
9. Get proper education. You can go through an apprenticeship program, or you can work for someone for a while. That way you gain valuable experience, and hence avoid some mistakes you would have made if you had ventured into that business without proper education. So take classes, attend seminars, watch videos on youtube. Just learn before you leap.
10. Stop making excuses. No one cares if it rained cats and dogs the whole year, and that’s why you never went to work on your dreams. Or that General Muhammadu Buhari is yet to appoint ministers, and it somehow affected your plans. Question is where is your umbrella or how would Buhari appointing ministers change your outlook? Truth is there are always excuses to give at every turn; the economy does not support start-ups, you don’t have the capital, there are witches in the village, no one makes it where you came from. Etc. Funny thing about excuses is that they become your reality. So think carefully when next you want to give an excuse as to why things aren’t working out. Your excuses define you.

Looking back, these are some of the things that have helped me in starting lightednation. I ask you again; what are you waiting for?

http://lightednation.com/2015/09/what-are-you-waiting-for/
Re: What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It by Nobody: 7:50pm On Sep 08, 2015
Great points u've got dere OP!

*runs out to start my puff puff business* cool cool

1 Like

Re: What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It by sseunth(m): 8:01pm On Sep 08, 2015
lagmostkuit:
Great points u've got dere OP!

*runs out to start my puff puff business* cool cool
I fit taste am?
Re: What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 08, 2015
sseunth:
I fit taste am?
Ma start first nah.. wink
Re: What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It by sseunth(m): 8:14pm On Sep 08, 2015
lagmostkuit:

Ma start first nah.. wink
I like puff puff ni.....na agege puff puff u go name am?
Re: What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It by Nature8(m): 8:16pm On Sep 08, 2015
Nice..
Re: What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 08, 2015
sseunth:
I like puff puff ni.....na agege puff puff u go name am?
grin
Is it ur consignment? undecided
Re: What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It by sseunth(m): 8:52pm On Sep 08, 2015
lagmostkuit:
grin Is it ur consignment? undecided
lol...nope
Re: What Are You Waiting For? 10 Tips To Help You Start A Business And Soldier On It by sseunth(m): 8:52pm On Sep 08, 2015
lagmostkuit:
grin Is it ur consignment? undecided
lol...nope

(1) (Reply)

Vocational Skill Trainers Needed As Partners / Beware Of Mcdave Investment Or M C D A V E I N V E S T M E N T . C O M / Fishing And Decision Making

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.