Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,077 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

The Best University In Nigeria - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best University In Nigeria (13070 Views)

Best University In Nigeria To Study Mechanical Engineering / Which School Is The Best University In Nigeria And Why? / The Best University In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Enockia(m): 1:44pm On Apr 11, 2009
the best uni in 9ja is none other than

NIGER DELTA UNIVERSITY.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:23pm On Apr 11, 2009
Bishoptboy,
I concur. The standard of education in Nigeria is so appalingly low.
The indiscipline and corruption in the system is another issue entirely. If it's not lecturers harrasing students sexually, it is their demanding bribe oppressively to pass students who already passed their exams. Worst of all, is that no one seems to care about the welfare of students.
I was surprised to read what you wrote about lecturers being fired due to students' poor performance. So such things actually happen? Can anything like that ever happen in Nigeria? Another sad side of this whole thing is the helplessness of students in all this. In the school I study, there are certain lecturers who openly demand bribe, even during lectures, for one of them, they have been reported for I don't even know how many times, but they havn't been stopped. They still carry on with the oppression.
@topic, I don't know what university is best right now, but two of the top ones are OAU and UNIBEN.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by ell77(f): 2:24pm On Apr 11, 2009
Coming to Nigeria from where? If it is for postgraduate studies I hear good things about Lagos Business School MBA but I personally have no experience of this.

Please could, you vote on my post:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-260618.0.html
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by tobiecxs(m): 2:42pm On Apr 11, 2009
It is no news that the quality of education you get in Nigeria is nothing compared to what you get in developed countries. Well, developing countries such as South Africa and Malaysia are far ahead of us. If I must select the top two Universities in Nigeria, they'll be Bowen and Covenant, no beefs on Fed Schools, but i think UNILORINs principle is the higher the 3rd class yield, the better the institution. UNILAG, UI, OAU are my preferred FED schools. State Universities, don't even go there.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Enockia(m): 2:48pm On Apr 11, 2009
Enockia:

the best uni in 9ja is none other than

NIGER DELTA UNIVERSITY.

grin grin grin grin
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by DrTony1(m): 2:51pm On Apr 11, 2009
What of the New and Changed University Of Nigeria (U.N.N and U.N.E.C)
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Homonide: 3:01pm On Apr 11, 2009
We all know how bleeped up Nigerian Universities are,but in all fairness, the best Universities in Nigeria are still the First Generation Universities,despite the Obsolete equipments, Of course i'd recommend my School,the Only truly Nigerian University,the largest University South of the Sahara,North of Limpopo:the Prestigious Ahmadu Bello University,Zaria.visit www.abu.edu.ng
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by bishoptboy(m): 3:11pm On Apr 11, 2009
fellis:

Bishoptboy,
I was surprised to read what you wrote about lecturers being fired due to students' poor performance. So such things actually happen? Can anything like that ever happen in Nigeria? Another sad side of this whole thing is the helplessness of students in all this. In the school I study, there are certain lecturers who openly demand bribe, even during lectures, for one of them, they have been reported for I don't even know how many times, but they havn't been stopped. They still carry on with the oppression.

I had a lecturer in South africa who was alsmost begging us to do well in his exam. he said if you guys dont do well i wont be employed next year. i guess he wasnt a permanent staff.

When i was studying in nigeria one of my computer science teacher in Unilorin who fails student in computer science cant even browse. I always browse for him cos he wants his wife to study in canada so i get him info about study abroad for him.

to talk about hostel life. i lived in a room that is meant for 8 people but we are 30 people living there!!!!

about post graduate. i advice my friends who are in depatments like engineersing to come study here cos they study for free and even get bursary. in naija how many nigerians study for free in their own country. I know two guys now that studied for free (with an average of N60k salary from the school) and are now working with good pay.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Redman44(m): 3:12pm On Apr 11, 2009
All the Universities in Nigeria have their strenghts and weaknesses. I attended the University of Ibadan for my Undergraduate studies. I make bold to say UI is one of the best when it comes to higher education in Nigeria. It has a good Postgraduate school. Delta State university is also good. I met graduates from DELSU who are really intelligent. You can attend any uni in Naija for your Postgraduate studies. Someone was bad mouthing State Universities on this thread. My brother finished from LASU and he's making waves today on FACEBOOK though he's based in Nigeria. He is also the editor of MADE, a solid Men's Magazine. Sound Sultan, one of my favourite Nigerian artists graduated from LASU. He is making a lot of impact in Nigeria today.

Mates, it is not about the Uni you attend. It all boils down to you. I'm not against anyone who wishes to attend a uni of his or her choice, but I know lectures and grades do not make the man. Talents, skills and focus can put you on the front cover of TIME Magazine. I have also seen graduates from British Universities who are so dull and uninspiring undecided undecided undecided

Look inwardly to discover your pot of Gold. Cheers.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by tpm(m): 4:12pm On Apr 11, 2009
Poster,
U can see it's all sentiments here. Just advise your friend to first confirm exactly what he/she wants and how he/she intends to go about it, cos somex, UNI does not do it all, but the attitude of those who study in it. Most Nigeria Universities can give him/her a perfect mirror (reflective) image of what he/she portrays. However, it is better to consider Federal UNI such as those mentioned by Sagamite (OAU, UI, Unilag, ABU, Uniben, UNN, Uniport) in this kind of scenario. I'm an alumnus of UNN, but my opinion here is free of sentiments. We are all great Nigeria Graduates no matter where the certificate is coming from.
Good luck.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by megadeath: 5:32pm On Apr 11, 2009
NIGERIAN DEFENCE ACADEMY KADUNA
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:01pm On Apr 11, 2009
See as dem dey argue untop naija uni. . . lol
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Tonynwosa: 7:01pm On Apr 11, 2009
what kind of person will leave abroad and come to study in nigeria undecided
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by anwo247: 7:35pm On Apr 11, 2009
Is the person coming from Iraq? Ofcourse we all know that Nigeria has no university. Do not tell me of covenant because, it is still more of a secondary school than a University. Human right is not a concern there. What they do there is enough for a student to take the school to court.

However, there are very great and intelligent students in Nigeria who can stand their mates outside even with the bad schools we have here. We are just talented, good and very enduring people and almost can thrive at the presence of nothing. Great Nigerians.

I had experience of Nigerian uni, south african college of Tech, and presently I am doing my master's degree in an American university. I can boldly tell you that Nigeria has no University that I know for today. Not yet. I really dont have statistics of Bowen and that American Uni at Adamawa, I will consider them objectively and comment.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Anonymos: 8:11pm On Apr 11, 2009
MY GUY EVERYBODY IS JUST COMING HERE TO CALL THE NAME OF THEIR SCHOOL BUT I WILL LIKE TO KNOW WHAT COUNTRY YOUR FRIEND IS COMING FROM THAT HE/SHE CANT STUDY THERE EVEN GHANA SCHOOLS ARE BETTER THAN NIGERIAN ONCE SO PLEASE DO YOUR FRIEND A VERY GOOD FAVOUR NOT TO COME DOWN HERE EVEN THE CONVENANT AND OTHER PRIVATE SCHOOLS THAT YOU THINK THEY ARE RELIABLE HAVE THERE OWN DISADVANTAGES LIKE IF YOU DONT TAKE YOUR BIBLE TO CHURCH IN CONVENANT NA EXPLESION, EVEN IN MADONNA UNIVERSITY IF YOU HAVE A FRIEND THAT IS BAD THAT MEANS YOU ARE BAD AND ALMOST EVERYBODY IN THAT SCHOOL IS BAD TO THEY SHOULD EXPELL EVERYBODY THEN, SO ABEG E BETA MAKE THE PERSON GO GHANA OR STAY WHERE HIN DEY THAN COME HERE AND GO THROUGH SERIOUS STRESS,

HAVE A NICE EASTER EVERYBODY,
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Jarus(m): 8:36pm On Apr 11, 2009
This topic has been overdiscussed on NL.
But most likely, most of the contributors here were not around when that topic raged on NL 2 years ago.
I finished from Ife and it is almost natural for me to go with the school. But relegating sentiments to the background, even If I did not go to Ife, I would still have vouched for that school as Nigeria's best.In fact, I belong to the school of thought that believe 'either Ife or no other Varsity in Nigeria'.
Being a product of the school, I believe these factors, among others, make Ife stand out:
Optimistic outlook: Unlike many other schools where freshers are indoctrinated with 'you can't' mentality, the psychology in Ife is that of 'can'. Ife makes you believe you can. I never dreamt of making a 1-1 when I walked into Ife as a fresher in September 2001, but within few weeks of integrating myself into the system, my outlook changed. Inundated with stories of successful students,some of whom had graduated decades ago; lectures on how to make it etc, you can't help not going for the kill. You become fired up with those inspiring stories.(NB: Of course, you would have had the potential before, but Ife brings it out). In many schools, discouraging stories of how some students were 'victimized', prevented from making 1-1, 2-1 are what you will be served as a fresh student seeking advice on how to succeed in this school. I hate those stories.
Merit-based admission policy Ife is one of the very few schools in Nigeria where merit is given a pivotal place in it's admission process. Of course, I'm not saying the school is totally immuned from 'Nigeria factor', but if you beat the school's admission cut-off then you can go and sleep. You need no godfather or deep pocket before gaining admission. I, for instance, never gave my credentials to anybody for admission. I was at home when I was told my name was already. My admission news was brought to me at home. Nobody will dispute the fact that giving merit the front seat in a school's admission vehicle makes it possible to get the best of brains.
Competition OAU is widely accepted as Nigeria's most competitive University. And when I say competition among students, please I do not mean in terms of best cars!!!. Take a sample of best students in secondary schools, especially in the Southwest and ask them which university they wish to attend, I can say it that 50% of them will mention Ife. Ife is regarded as battle ground for best brains. In fact, some people believe you are still a local champion until you are a champion in Ife. In Ife, many people that were champions in their secondary schools are rendered ordinary. A friend of mine that was the best SSCE student in Kwara state, and perhaps North Central, in our set could not even lead his department, not to talk of faculty or school, when he got to Ife. The stars in school are those with very high GPs. Nobody cares about the car you use. Have a strong GP and you're a star on campus. People discuss your GP in rooms, in TV rooms, in classes etc. Your name spread like harmattan fire. You become refrence point in discussions, even after graduating.
[b]Environment & learning condition[/b]The role of learning environment and conditions in the success of students is known to everybody. In fact this is the basic difference between Nigerian and foreign Universities. Ife too may not be up to foreign unis by this criteria, but it is definitely far above other Nigerian public universities. No other public varsity can boast of constant supply of electricity & water supply like Ife. In Ife, because they know the students, being always conscious of their rights, will take to streets at the slightest maltreatment, the authorities pay great attention to students' welfare. In my first one month in OAU, I never experienced 3 minutes power failure. And in my five years there, I can't remember experiencing 24 hours without light or water. It is only in Ife that students are bold enough to tell management to postpone exams for breaching their right to one-week lecture free week before exam. Tell me, will students not do well under this condition?  And I have not mentioned the beautiful, serene learning environment that can make you forget your worries and face your studies.

Let's not delve into what being an Ife student/grad earns you outside school. That has been discussed in many previous threads.

Of course, there is the ugly side of internal crises, induced by militant Students & Staff Unions.
Great Ife is a school to be!!!

No disrespect to Unilag, UI, ABU, UNN and Uniben though.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by wanville(m): 8:57pm On Apr 11, 2009
:-x
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Redman44(m): 9:02pm On Apr 11, 2009
Yeah, Foreign Universities are definately better than the ones in Nigeria. However, I don't concur with those that have the belief that nothing good can come out of Nigerian Universities. The person that wants to come and do his Postgraduate Studies in Naija has reasons for coming home. Some graduates of our Universities are really good and they are holding their own in companies all over the world. I have had intellectual discussions with white and african graduates of Universities in Britain and I'm pissed off with many of them.

You can get the foreign degrees, you can get those grades, but they aint gonna take you far in today's world. The world is a tabular rasa for anyone who can retrieve and process information creatively. Cheers.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by olubabatti(m): 9:13pm On Apr 11, 2009
Every man in the interest of his own but come to think of it their is no best university we only have good universities in Nigeria. Your folk can consider these ones. U.I, Lead City ,Unilag or Covenant.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Redman44(m): 9:54pm On Apr 11, 2009
and I forgot to add this:

Education is no longer limited to the four walls of a classroom. Knowledge can now be gotten at the speed of thought. I graduated from the University of Ibadan in 2005. I have not earned money with my degree. I have been earning money with my talents and I'm set to earn more. Information is the key these days.

The Internet is the best university in the world.

The internet changed everything, mates.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by anwo247: 11:07pm On Apr 11, 2009
Redman44, you sound good. Internet is the home of information today and home of knowledge for self-starters.

Like I said, Nigerians are smart. But good University, NO. Not at all. The quality of lecturers, oh my God. Graduates oooops!

Degree has little or almost nothing to do these days for a serious person. Maybe much to do before the interview date with the human resources dept. But, after that day, your brain and creativity takes over.

Like, me, I dont have a CV. The only period I have had to bring out my certificates has always been when I want to use them for application on graduate schools. I started working for my company while on final year and since then, No job threat, because I am a threat. As a matter of fact, we have sent so many with their degree of the track due to lack of pre-requisite knowledge,that you might even wonder how they succeeded in getting that cert.

I beleive that most foreign graduates are not very smart. Defnitely not in the index of Nigerian universities. Some of our graduates here can't even read very well. i was embarrassed one time when a youth corper could not read. I mean read. how could such a one graduagte from any university for God's sake? Must everyone go to university? You can make life very well without university.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Redman44(m): 12:17am On Apr 12, 2009
I just finished watching one of the speeches of Bill Gates on YOUTUBE. All those who are placing their hopes on certificates or degrees will be in for a rude shock in a few years time. It is not as if Universities will not be relevant again. They will still be here for some time. However, have you noticed that many Universities are increasing their online presence daily? Bill Gates made some comments that set me thinking deeply. The legendary entrepreneur said that very soon all physical encyclopaedias will not be able to match their online versions. He says it would be easier to access books online than using them physically. Pages of books will be downloaded on mobile phones by next year. It is already happening in some countries. The daughter of Bill Gates does not carry physical boks to school again. Instead, she has a Palm computer that has all the books she needs loaded on it.

Amazing things are happening on the internet these days. Information is key and once it is available for everyone, there are no limitations to what one can achieve. Some Nigerian Universities are performing well these days even with the limited resources available to them. The e-library will change everything in Nigeria. When the British Universities come to recruit students in Nigeria, they don't always tell their prospective students that they would need to task their brains after getting their degrees. There is really a difference between perception and reality. Cheers.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 7:36am On Apr 12, 2009
Redman44:

I just finished watching one of the speeches of Bill Gates on YOUTUBE. All those who are placing their hopes on certificates or degrees will be in for a rude shock in a few years time. It is not as if Universities will not be relevant again. They will still be here for some time. However, have you noticed that many Universities are increasing their online presence daily? Bill Gates made some comments that set me thinking deeply. The legendary entrepreneur said that very soon all physical encyclopaedias will not be able to match their online versions. He says it would be easier to access books online than using them physically. Pages of books will be downloaded on mobile phones by next year. It is already happening in some countries. The daughter of Bill Gates does not carry physical boks to school again. Instead, she has a Palm computer that has all the books she needs loaded on it.

Bullocks!

Whether uttered by Bill Gates or not, that is bullocks.

The physical convenience of books will always beat the virtual provision of internet. The only thing I agree with is that "it would be easier to access books online" but as per preference of access, physical books will still triumph.

Upon all the hulabula about how physical publishers will go under once the e-books come in, till this day people still prefer to read books as it provides better adaptability to our bodily manoeuvres. I can even go as far as saying I don't know anyone in the UK that reads e-books despite the evolution of e-books in the last decade.

Even at work, if I have a very long report or email to read, I feel more comfortable and read faster once I print it and so do many of my colleagues.

There will have to be some serious evolution of technology for online to beat physical books. There might be a slight increase in those that shift online (due to cost advantages) but I don't see a complete takeover. In my opinion, humans love the hold of a book as it gives a sense of control.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Redman44(m): 1:45pm On Apr 12, 2009
@sagamite

I read e-books if you care to know. I'm in the UK. Making sweeping generalizations is something I don't like to do. And that is what you've done with your post. I respect your views about how it feels to hold a physical book. Physical books will be here for a long time but online content is taking over gradually. I am a researcher for some organizations I'm not allowed to mention here. People thought Hi5 and Myspace were the ultimate until Facebook and Bebo arrived on the scene. Now Zorpia and some new social networking sites are taking over. If you care to know, there are thousands of People in the UK already reading e-books. Do some research, mate.

I don't want to be drawn into a intellectual battle. I prefer to let my works speak these days. When people condemn Nigerian Universities, I just relax and laugh. Ignorance is a disease, you know. Many Nigerian Undergraduate and Postgraduate students are not that informed. And you don't need to travel out of Nigeria to be informed. I saw some of my course mates having low marks in some of our courses. They would often tell me that there are no books for them to read up on specific topics. However, there were books in the library at Unibadan that covered those topics, though the books were old. I took my time to search for those books on the dusty shelves and read them. So I scored high marks in those courses. The Dominican Institute Library at Samonda in Ibadan is a solid intellectual centre. As far back as 2001, the place had an advanced archival system with good books and educational materials. By 2002, they had internet facilities and e-books there. The place was located in a serene environment with trees and flowers. Yet , many students of unibadan did not use the Library.

As far back as 1994, the state library at Ijebu-Ode was having satellite transmission for educational and entertainment purposes. People hardly visited the library, but those amazing facilities were there. It was there that I first saw the Brazilian national team on a training tour of Australia as they prepared for the World Cup hosted by the United States. I saw everything on a huge screen at the end of the library. I was 16 yrs old then. I had to use earphones to listen to the commentary. The problem with Nigeria is that many Nigerians have not started to use information creatively. Information is key. Cheers.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by anwo247: 2:56pm On Apr 12, 2009
@sagamite, you really sound uninformed. Who are those your folks/friends that prefer physical books?

Redman44 was absolutely correct. Even traditional universities post their assignments online. You see most of the students rushing to the internet for their asignments.

Online creates access to everyone. Traditonal University style has has held and sustained ignorance in the greater part of the population of every country for too long. But, somehow, access is getting greater now because online is breaking the barricade of ingorance.

In compelete traditional environment, when you miss your lecture, it's gone forever, but in Online, the records are there and you can replay your lectures often and often.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by joxiri: 3:44pm On Apr 12, 2009
i think it is a bit harsh people are laying into foreign graduates. University education i think has very little in deciding how succesful an individual will be and how smart they are or will be, these traits depend on the individual, even their secondary education may have more part to play, why foreign students come across the way they do, is because for instance uk degrees are usually 3 years and this may not be enough time to develop an individual

but may i make myself clear foreign students are more ethically and morally mature than any nigerian student will ever be I am sorry but it is a fact, foreign students acquire their degree by hard work and intellect, there is no backdoors or carry over, a failure in a single module can reult in automatically repeating that year, as opposed to carryovers that are present in nigerian universities. and also people should realise there are some universities in the uk for instance that are not as good as Unilag i can vouch for that, but anyone who has attended a decent university in the uk russel group for instance cannot come across as being dull, maybe people are coming across students from these universities, because anyone who has attended a russell group university will probably not return to nigeria in the 1st place because of his or her career prospects. I can assure you of that

@ poster, I know this has little or no relevance to what you require, but i just have to clarify those individuals who feel foreign graduates are dull
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by Redman44(m): 4:51pm On Apr 12, 2009
@joxiri

thanks for your comments. Please, I'm not trying to demean graduates from foreign universities. Some graduates from British and American universities are very good. Western Education is also very good. However, we live in a brand new world now. Even if you live in a village in Africa, once you've got a computer and internet connection, the world could lie at your feet. This is where creativity and innovation comes into play. Phillip Emeagwali, Bill Gates, Michael Dell and other information gurus have said it: INFORMATION IS KEY.

Many Nigerian students read to pass exams alone. They do not read for the purpose of gathering information that will change their lives. They do not study to acquire knowledge that can be used to make more money or better their communities. And what do you think will happen when they graduate and start working? They will not be able to put forward great ideas that will help their companies grow. Cheers.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by tomidvirus: 6:04pm On Apr 12, 2009
its definetly UNIOSUN. osun state university, a blend of world-class professors, a lecturer-friendly enviroment, world class facilities. high disciplinarable principles and rules. try , the only private-public university in Nigeria.
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by ourwale: 8:42pm On Apr 12, 2009
LAGOS BUSINESS SCHOOL,
COVENANT UNIVERSITY
BABCOCK UNIVERSITY
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by ciscostaz: 10:02pm On Apr 12, 2009
LAASUUUUUUUUUU

LAGOS STATE UNIVERSITY, OJO

You'll learn everything. The good, the bad and the ugly.
grin
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by joxiri: 10:32pm On Apr 12, 2009
@ redman
You see the 2nd part of your coment is what sets foreign students apart, because you cannot read to pass alone in a uk or us university, you have to show wider research if not, its unlikely an individual will excel in their exams
Re: The Best University In Nigeria by crimkid(m): 11:05pm On Apr 12, 2009
Hey man its of no doubt that Federal University of Technology, Akure is d best in Naija area.Our students represented Africa in d zain competition,a blend of life&learning."Awe yi" jst as d Akure indigenes wil say, wat do u want dat u wouldnt get?Cool area,kind hearted&father-like lecturers,world class syllabus, BEST UNIV. OF TECHNOLOGY IN NIGERIA.Aha do I need 2 go further? , Of the GREATEST EVER GREAT FUTARIANS. Great. 4ward eva, backward neva, FUTA 4 TECHNOLOGY, TECHNOLOGY 4 SELF RELIANCE, Voice of Folami

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ekiti Returns Christ’s School To Anglican Church (Photos) / Eksu Medical Students Protests On Twitter (screenshots Included) / Schools Here In Nigerian That Offer Part Time Programme On Elect/elect & Com Sci

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.